Addition Of A Blog Section

Something wrong? Want something changed? Feel free to bitch about it in here.

Addition Of A Blog Section

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Looking at most of my posts in recent history, I've been making threads that are probably more akin to personal interest instead of what really qualifies as a general discussion. I had been making my threads in the WWE forum as "rankings" or starting discussions in threads that don't really belong. Because of this, I am asking for a section like this.

I used to belong to a music forum that used the same phpBB style as this forum in terms of posting and general layout. Eventually on that forum, they added a blog section that was it's own forum but also attached to a person's profile. Because of this, I know that it's possible to do here as well. I think it could be a nice addition for people like me who have stuff to say but don't see the appropriateness in making a new thread for it when chances are, there's no room for discussion or at least is based on a single person's ideas rather than basing it on the community itself and then branching out.

In short, this thread is pretty much to ask for a section like this. Will someone other than me like this? I don't know but I think that the usefulness of a blog section is evident enough to warrant its existence.
SHADE 45

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Addition Of A Blog Section

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:31 pm

I know this kind of thing exists, I've already thought of doing it but never talked about it. As it happens, I'm 50-50 on this idea, as I feel it could hurt discussion. I'll wait for other members (and the staff) to add their opinions on the matter.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by Longshot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 pm

2G CrayZ wrote:I know this kind of thing exists, I've already thought of doing it but never talked about it. As it happens, I'm 50-50 on this idea, as I feel it could hurt discussion. I'll wait for other members (and the staff) to add their opinions on the matter.

People feeling reluctant to make threads where they just post their personal interests does not promote activity, but rather inaction. I think a blog section could be worthwhile as long as there are people who plan to actually post blogs.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by IWillNotDie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

I can't imagine many people using it but sure, why not?
IWillNotDie
Site Admin

PostPosted by ArJay » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm for it. I don't really see it hurting overall discussion, and members like Ben, Marvie and Shade I feel would all have interesting blogs I'd like to read from time to time. I'm sure there might be others too that might have something to bring to the table.
ArJay

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Chris Jericho
Favorite Show: Raw

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 pm

ArJay wrote:I'm for it. I don't really see it hurting overall discussion, and members like Ben, Marvie and Shade I feel would all have interesting blogs I'd like to read from time to time. I'm sure there might be others too that might have something to bring to the table.

Don't forget -Chui.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
bountyhunter

PostPosted by Astroblack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:27 am

If you have something to say then why not just put it in the correct section? Blog section will go to waste after a while. No point of having extra sections. Place is already crowded with unnecessary sections.
Hey, listen to Blu.
Astroblack

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 am

mkdisciple wrote:If you have something to say then why not just put it in the correct section? Blog section will go to waste after a while. No point of having extra sections. Place is already crowded with unnecessary sections.

Well if you noticed lately, I created like 2 or 3 NXT threads in the last week or so. I have 2 more things I want to write up about them, but they're mostly my opinion and I don't want to clutter the forum with anymore unnecessary threads. That's why I changed the NXT thread or w/e to General Discussion, but after next week, I'm not gonna have anymore to say about it until the season ends so I'd be moving back to general columns, something of which I think works better as a blog.
SHADE 45

PostPosted by ArJay » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:48 am

mkdisciple wrote:If you have something to say then why not just put it in the correct section? Blog section will go to waste after a while. No point of having extra sections. Place is already crowded with unnecessary sections.

Like which? I honestly don't feel any of these sections are unnecessary. Just because you don't go to a certain section, doesn't mean others don't. (For ex. I never visit the UFC/MMA areas, but they are popular sections)

SHADE 45 wrote:Well if you noticed lately, I created like 2 or 3 NXT threads in the last week or so. I have 2 more things I want to write up about them, but they're mostly my opinion and I don't want to clutter the forum with anymore unnecessary threads. That's why I changed the NXT thread or w/e to General Discussion, but after next week, I'm not gonna have anymore to say about it until the season ends so I'd be moving back to general columns, something of which I think works better as a blog.

The only suggestion I can make -if- this doesn't go through, is to just create your own blog. Then, create a thread here strictly for NXT. You can then give a short preview of each update in a post here, then link to the full blog? If, of course, everyone is ok with that.
ArJay

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Chris Jericho
Favorite Show: Raw

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:20 am

mkdisciple wrote: Place is already crowded with unnecessary sections.

???
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
bountyhunter

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am

He's talking about the AFW forum since he's obviously never used it
SHADE 45

PostPosted by Astroblack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:36 am

MMA boards could be merged. Media definitely should be merged into one. Archive and Wiki could be made into a tab at the top.
Hey, listen to Blu.
Astroblack

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 am

mkdisciple wrote:MMA boards could be merged. Media definitely should be merged into one. Archive and Wiki could be made into a tab at the top.

Of that, I only agree that the Wiki could be made a tab.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 am

We should either do something with the HoF or get rid of it for the time being. Armbar Wiki shouldn't be its own section, since you can't post in it. That's like the definition of wasted space. Streaming media shouldn't be its own section- instead, a thread in each of the other two sections. User Support & Announcements, etc. could merge itself into one since there never seems to be more than one or two active threads at a time in either.

That's just my opinion.

Also, if there WAS a blog section, I'd use it. But I'm not necessarily sure that's a good use of space, since the forum isn't really designed for blogging. A better plan is to just open a blog on your own, and then have a post linking to all the blogs of AF.. I'm just not sure it wouldn't hinder discussion. That post can also link to the AF Wiki, and can be stickied in the Forum of 1004 holds.

I guess there'd have to be a way to 'organize' the blog in my mind. You'd either need multiple blogs (multiple subsections, and I know how the whole subsection thing goes around here) or everyone would have to create a different thread for each post (in which case we may as well just post anyway.)

I don't know, I can't really articulate it. I guess my objection is it hindering discussion.
Michael Cole wrote: The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! Tap out! Tap out! Tap out! Go to sleep! Do whatever you do! AJ WINS!"
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 am

dcbandicoot wrote:I guess there'd have to be a way to 'organize' the blog in my mind. You'd either need multiple blogs (multiple subsections, and I know how the whole subsection thing goes around here) or everyone would have to create a different thread for each post (in which case we may as well just post anyway.)

What I saw was that everyone has a blog but it only shows up in the actual forum once you update it. From that point on, the most recently updated blogs show up at the top, just like new posts in a thread.

The reason I think this would work is because the blogs themselves on this forum allowed for people to reply to them and post comments and such. It's just that the blog itself was the main focus of that page, sort of like an article on a website. This would allow for discussion, just not in the main forum threads.
SHADE 45

PostPosted by Astroblack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 am

MMA media has 15 posts. Never used. Wrestling multimedia has 40 threads. In one year they both have amassed only 65 threads combined. Not enough for TWO sections. Its also 2010 and nobody downloads shows anymore, nor do they come to forums for media. Youtube exists and everything is on there if you search hard enough. Just make one board and call it "Pro wrestling and MMA media" Sub-heading - "Pro wrestling, MMA multimedia and streaming videos".

Its not a failure, its just not working out. You can improve on these ideas.

Looking at the MMA stats, I'd think they'd be better off in the same board. I just don't feel MMA is bi enough to have two seperate boards like WWE and TNA have.

There are 7 sections on this forum and only a handful of members.
Hey, listen to Blu.
Astroblack

Return to User Support & Questions