Riddle/Puzzle Game

Non-wrestling/MMA topics and chat are welcomed here.

Riddle/Puzzle Game

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:21 am

Quite a simple thread. Think you're brainier than the next guy? Here's your chance to prove it.

I fully expect that it will be the instinct of quite a few to dismiss this challenge as 'too brainy'. But I'm offering the challenge for anyone who wants it.

I'm going to pose some number of riddles or puzzles to you all. You are on your honor not to use anything except your own brain, pencil and paper to come up with solutions. First one to submit a perfect score wins. If no one submits a perfect score within seven days, the person who has submitted the highest score wins. You may only submit the answers once. Warning: Some of these are designed to be really difficult.

Note that more points does not necessarily imply a more difficult task.

Please do not post solutions, but instead use PM to submit solutions.

1. Monty Hall Problem. You are in the final round of a game show, where there a one grand prize hidden behind one of three doors, marked 'Door 1', 'Door 2', and 'Door 3'. The host asks you to select a door, and you select Door 1. The host then opens Door 3, showing you that the prize wasn't behind door 3 [to clarify, he will always show you a non-prize after your first selection]. He now offers to let you switch to Door 2 if you please- or you may keep Door 1.

• (3 points) Is it in your best interest to continue to select Door 1, change to Door 2, or does it not matter? Your solution should provide a reason your answer is correct.
  • (7 points) What are the overall odds you win the Grand Prize if you play the strategy mentioned in the answer to the first question?

2. Many Balls, 1 Scale.

• (4 points) You have seven balls, six of which are equal weight, one heavier. You cannot tell by touch which has a different weight. You have a scale (a balance), which you are allowed to use twice. Provide a method for determining which ball is the odd one out.
  • (6 points) You have twenty-one balls, twenty of which are equal weight, one heavier. What is the minimum number of uses of the scale/balance that you need?

3. Three Logicians in the Dungeon. Three perfect logicians are thrown into a dark dungeon. They cannot see anything. The executioner walks in, announces that he holds three black hats and two white hats. He places a hat on each of the three logicians, removes the other two hats from the dungeon, and then turns on the lights to the dungeon. Each logician can now see the color hat that the other two are wearing, but not his own- except for the third logician, who is blind. The executioner announces that anyone who can name the color of his own hat will be set free. The first logician announces that he cannot determine the color of his own hat.

• (5 points) The second man announces that he cannot determine the color of his own hat. Can the third man determine the color of his own hat? If so, what color hat is it and why? If not, show why not.
  • (5 points) The second man announces that he can determine the color of his own hat. Can the third man determine the color of his own hat? If so, what color hat is it and why? If not, show why not.

4. Two gallons of milk. (4 points) A farmer has two ten-gallon cans of milk, one empty five-gallon can, and one empty four-gallon can. All are unmarked. Wasting no milk, how can he wind up with exactly two gallons of milk in each of the two smaller containers? It is irrelevant how much milk is in each of the larger two containers, so long as the remaining sixteen gallons are all there.

5. Crossing the river. (7 points) Four couples come to a river they must cross over in order to return home. Unfortunately, they only have one boat which holds two-people. In the middle of the stream, there is an island that any number of people may stand on. The men are so extremely jealous that no woman may be left with any other man or men at any time if her own is not present, even in the presence of other women. This applies to the boat, the island, or either shore. Show a method of at most 17 moves of getting them all from shore to shore. (One move is shore to shore, shore to island, or island to shore).

6. A Numbers game and a Card Game. For the following problems, you may assume that each player plays 'perfectly' after your answer- ie, if they can assure themself a win, they will. (Edit for clarity: there are only two players in each game).

• (3 points) Each player, on his turn, adds 1, 2, 3 or 4 to the running count (For example: Player 1 adds 3, P2 adds 4 for 7, P1 adds 4 for 11.. etc). The player that reaches 22 on his turn wins. What must the first player add on his first turn to be assured victory? Why?
  • (6 points) A partial pack of sixteen cards - 4 aces, 4 deuces, 4 threes and 4 fours, are placed on the table. On his turn, each player removes a card and adds its value to the running total as in part one. The first player to reach 22 is considered victorious again, but if a player is forced above 22 (think: count is 21, no aces left), that player loses. What rank of card (ace, deuce, three, four) must the first player add on his first turn to assure themself of victory?

A perfect score is fifty. Good luck!

(Again: I'm well aware most of you won't do this because it seems like effort. The inevitable eye-roll aside, get to it, you lazy fucks.)

Edit: NOTE: You may send solutions separately, but you may only send one solution per problem. So you can PM me with the answer #2 and #5, then #3 later, than #4.. etc.
Last edited by dcbandicoot on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Michael Cole wrote: The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! Tap out! Tap out! Tap out! Go to sleep! Do whatever you do! AJ WINS!"
dcbandicoot

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Riddle/Puzzle Game

PostPosted by Longshot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 am

Jesus this looks like complicated shit. I will have to sit down and have a look at it tomorrow or Sunday. But fuck you for even bringing this around Bando.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by IWillNotDie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:45 am

I'm going to assume the answers to all of these are DickPunch and see what score I get submitting that.
IWillNotDie
Site Admin

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:55 am

If they seem intimidating and you need a good place to start, 2 and 4 are probably the best way to go. The last part of the last problem is probably the hardest of all of them. #5 is the only one I can't really gauge... I got it by pure chance pretty quickly, but I feel like there are a lot of ways to go wrong.
Michael Cole wrote: The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! Tap out! Tap out! Tap out! Go to sleep! Do whatever you do! AJ WINS!"
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by ILOVEMATTHARDY » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Well, I going to assume that the answer to all is Dickpu.... FUCK, IWND already played that card.....

I will do therse when it's not 5 AM here. I am pretty sure I got a couple. Side note: Wasn't #1 on the hit movie 21, starring Kevin Spacey?
ILOVEMATTHARDY

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm

ILOVEMATTHARDY wrote:Well, I going to assume that the answer to all is Dickpu.... FUCK, IWND already played that card.....

I will do therse when it's not 5 AM here. I am pretty sure I got a couple. Side note: Wasn't #1 on the hit movie 21, starring Kevin Spacey?

It's very possible. It's a pretty famous problem. I've only read the book and not seen the movie, though, so I'm not sure.

I'll post the leaderboard on Monday, probably before RAW.

NOTE: I have edited some of the problems for clarity.

#1, Question 2 now clarifies that I am asking for the odds for the best strategy, not just YOUR strategy.
#2 now states that one ball is heavier. Before it said that one was of 'different weight'.
#4 clarifies I am asking for 2 gallons of milk in EACH smaller container- not just one.
#6 now clarifies that it is a two-player game. The example implied it before, but the problem did not mention it specifically.
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm working on this.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:48 pm

ILOVEMATTHARDY wrote:I will do therse when it's not 5 AM here. I am pretty sure I got a couple. Side note: Wasn't #1 on the hit movie 21, starring Kevin Spacey?

Very famous problem and very controversial too.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
bountyhunter

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 pm

To clarify #2, question 2:

It's the minimum number that you need, not the minimum that's possible. Of course you can do it in one. I mean in the worst case.

Edit: correct answers but incorrect logic will score partial credit. As will a method of doing #5 that isn't efficient (ie more than 17 moves).
Last edited by dcbandicoot on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 pm

dcbandicoot wrote:To clarify #2, question 2:

It's the minimum number that you need, not the minimum that's possible. Of course you can do it in one. I mean in the worst case.

Sorry, I already sent my entry so according to the rules, I win :D

Edit: Fine, I sent it again.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm bumping this. I never actually posted the answers so if anyone wants to take a shot at some of the puzzles, they're pretty satisfying.

Also because I have a new puzzle.

A certain lottery requires you to choose 5 numbers between 1 and 8, inclusive. The lottery itself chooses a winning combination of 3 numbers. You win if three of your numbers match the lottery numbers. You lose if any of the lottery

For example, your ticket may be 1 2 3 5 8. If the winning combination is 1 2 3, you win, 1 2 4, you lose (because you don't have the 4), 1 2 5, you win... etc.

What is the minimum number of tickets you must purchase to ensure victory?

Edit: I guess I can post solutions. I'll do it tonight.
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Here's a sample solution/hint to the last problem:

show spoiler»
dcbandicoot

Return to Forum of 1,004 holds