AF Predicts 2011: MMA Game

A place for MMA promotions that are trying to last longer than Elite XC did.

AF Predicts 2011: MMA Game

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:06 am

Came up with this idea a bit ago and probably should have posted it but I've had a lot of shit going on, anyway back on track -- it's a pretty simple idea, everyone gets 3 predictions as to what will happen in the forth coming year and when the year comes to an end we will compile all the predictions that came right and put them in a poll to determine which was the best prediction, maybe we can sort out a medal or something for the winner?

To win the competition you must make the best prediction for 2011, so predicting something like George St-Pierre will win a fight in 2011 probably won't get you the win but if you predict that George St-Pierre will defeat Jake Shields before losing the title to Carlos Condit by years end then you'll likely win.

For obvious reasons, entries close when the new year commences so get to it --

Foxxc's Predictions:
Alistair Overeem will defend his Strikeforce Heavyweight Championship more times than George St-Pierre will defend his UFC Welterweight Championship in 2011.
Jon Jones will defeat Ryan Bader followed by another opponent [both by stoppage] only to loose in his title fight.
Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell & Rich Franklin will all announce their retirement by years end.

Your turn.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: AF Predicts 2011: MMA Game

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 am

I'm going to go high risk.

- Anderson Silva will lose his title.
-Edgar will still have his title by year's end.
- Strikeforce will at least tie UFC in buyrate numbers.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:04 am

2G CrayZ wrote:I'm going to go high risk.

Do you mean in terms of pay-per-view buys? or TV ratings?
#Foxxc#

PostPosted by Longshot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:23 am

#Foxxc# wrote:
2G CrayZ wrote:I'm going to go high risk.

Do you mean in terms of pay-per-view buys? or TV ratings?

Either way, he is insane.

Strikeforce does not stand a chance against UFC at the moment and with the WEC merger, I see the gap widening a bit.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:04 am

Longshot wrote:Either way, he is insane.

Strikeforce does not stand a chance against UFC at the moment and with the WEC merger, I see the gap widening a bit.

I disagree, I think it's a perfectly logical pick considering Strikeforce & Bellator are seemingly in the process of putting together a super show headed by Nick Diaz vs. Ben Askren, Ronaldo Souza vs. Hector Lombard, Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez as well as the return of Fedor Emelianenko.

It's crazy to think that a show as stacked as that could not rival one of UFC's lower end pay-per-views with a decent main event and boring undercard.
#Foxxc#

PostPosted by Longshot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 am

It's crazy to think that a show as stacked as that could not rival one of UFC's lower end pay-per-views with a decent main event and boring undercard.

Because Strikeforce has much less of a media presence than UFC does. I won't hear a mention of Strikeforce on ESPN, whereas UFC will probably get a mention.

I won't see a single commercial for Strikeforce, but I will see enough from UFC to know what the top three fights on a card are.

The cards the companies put together have less value than the way in which it is advertised.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:03 am

Longshot wrote:

Because Strikeforce has much less of a media presence than UFC does. I won't hear a mention of Strikeforce on ESPN, whereas UFC will probably get a mention.

I won't see a single commercial for Strikeforce, but I will see enough from UFC to know what the top three fights on a card are.

The cards the companies put together have less value than the way in which it is advertised.

Strikeforce are growing their fan base with every outing, no they don't get the coverage that ESPN does nor does Showtime get great coverage in the States but they have grown their product to the point where people see this as must see television and the move to pay-per-view will be a successful one in my eyes.

Plus, if they do partner with Bellator FC they will have weekly exposure to plug that they're going to pay-per-view on both MTV2 & Fox Sports Net and with a fight card like they are hoping to put on, they could easily draw a decent number.

I mean, UFC is likely to put on a fair few shows that are less than great like UFC 108 which did 300k or UFC 109 did 275k or even a great card like UFC 110 only did 240k -- These are numbers that TNA can pull so I don't see why a cross promotion between Strikeforce & Bellator couldn't top that.
#Foxxc#

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:38 am

Well, this is boring -- the only winning entry goes to Mr. 2G CrayZ

- Edgar will still have his title by year's end.

I'll give myself an honorable mention for the Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell & Rich Franklin will all announce their retirement by years end one since two of the three came through.
#Foxxc#

Return to Others