AF Mod Election nominations 2011

Major changes, the rules and frequently asked questions are all here.

AF Mod Election nominations 2011

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Dear Armbarforums.com members,

As you know, from the start of this little venture, we have been dedicated to given you guys what you want. When, last year, we asked your opinions on Moderators, you wanted them elected. It happened, on a 1 year (possibly renewable) deal, as ArJay and Longshot were voted as the first ever AF Mods.

It's that time of year again folks. This is your chance to once again "change the face" of Armbarforums. By the end of this election, you will have either voted for our current mods to stay on for another year or you will have voted for somebody else, given them a chance to step up and contribute.

In this thread, will be any and all nominations. Right now, you're thinking "Wow, that's awesome! I want in on this!" and that's great, however these are our requirements for our Moderators.

1: Be active. If you're not, you can't moderate.

2: Contribute. Your job, as well as moderating (editing/deleting/conflict resolution) will be contributing to the board. We're always looking for fresh ideas, be it for a thread or for the forum itself.

3: On the subject of forum contributing, two things will be expected of you. First of all, you are expected to actively participate in the "staff life", meaning giving your opinion on all matters discussed and voting on the changes we decide on (yes, we all vote, not just the admins).

4: You are expected to represent the members. They have voted for you, you represent their voice (hence why mods get to vote with admins), in other words, you need to be in contact and AVAILABLE for the other members. Remember, as a mod, you are NOT just "the law", your main goal is to help out the members and help the forum grow. We are NOT looking for police officers.

5: You are expected to moderate posts and threads here, however you must do so with REASON. Members may contact Admins at any time to dispute a moderator's actions, the moderator must be able to justify his actions (I banned him because he was annoying is not a justified ban).

6: All mods (and admins for that matter) are to be familiar with the rules. If you are ever in doubt, all 3 admins are available, ask them anything.
-- The rules can be viewed here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41

7: We're looking for serious applicants ONLY. If your goal is to have a new color and new "powers", don't bother. We, the administrators, reserve the right to remove a mod from his position if we deem that he isn't active or competent.

PS: For any of you thinking of asking, no, the mods don't need coding/forum software experience (although it's a bonus). Everything is user friendly.

Contrary to last year, when you were all supposed to PM your nominations to IWND (although most of you just posted them...), you will be require to post them here in the following manner.

- Why you want the job.
- What you can bring to the table.
(- Any other comments/questions regarding the subject)

Only nominate YOURSELF. DO NOT nominate other members.

Nominations are to be posted by the end of the weekend (Right now, I have 10:23pm, Thursday, cut off date is Midnight Sunday (GMT+1). Last year you had a week, but if you can't read this thread and post your nomination within 3 days, you're probably not the person for the job anyway.

I will then tally up the names of the nominees and post the poll immediately. The poll will run for a week, you will have two votes are we want 2 mods.

PS: Of course, our current mods, Longshot and ArJay, are more than invited to throw their name in the hat for this one.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: AF Mod Election nominations 2011

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 pm

I'll nominate myself although I'm pretty sure I have no chance.

So why do I want this position? Pretty much all I can say is that I've been here for a decent amount of time now and I'm active. While I may not have 5000 posts, I'm practically always logged in and check here frequently. I've got nothing else to do, so why not help out with this?

In terms of bringing something to the table, I feel like there's a lot more than can be done with this site. I know that we're relatively small and don't have to expand, but I still think that there's somethings that can make it more active for the people who are already here. I can't figure these out on my own, but I do think I'd be able to contribute. That was why I proposed the blog section, even though no one uses it.

Pretty much the most I can say is that I'm here and I'd be perfectly fine with the position. I've been a mod on other forums before and I think I can do it. I'm pretty sure I have no chance anyway, so what do I have to lose just throwing my name in the hat?
SHADE 45

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for your nomination, Shade.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

PostPosted by ArJay » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I, of course, am nominating myself for re-election. I don't know if I need to post anything more than that, but I will.

As a MOD for Armbar I feel I've done a pretty good job over the past year. Well beyond my expectations to be perfectly honest. (If you remember, I didn't even think I was qualified for the job originally last year and almost didn't nominate myself.) I feel I've done a good job keeping things moderated (with the slight exception of my one minor screw up, where I went all delete-nazi like. Which, actually brought a good new option to the board IMO with the soft delete.) I've done my fair share of deleting spam and banning the spammers when I notice them. I too visit here on a regular basis and I like to think I contribute well to the discussions. I've been an active member of the Staff section voicing my thoughts and opinions (even if I'm not always agreed with lol) to the other members of staff. I feel I played a key role in helping Bando get the subsection he so ever wanted for AFW. Speaking of AFW, I also stepped up and helped Bando by running the transactions/draft for the Premier League. I feel I've done a good job of keeping up with that as well. I'm always trying to get new active members here, and managed to get a few recently. Although at first I thought they were going to be active, it feels as if now they might not be since all of them were bribed with MOD spots at that "other place" after I got banned. (LOL) Also, if you haven't noticed, all of the Armbar Logos and the like have been designed by me ( ;) ), and I also bring some funny graphics to the boards from time to time when I'm in a creative mood. Am I forgetting anything? Seems about right. Well, other than that, I have tried my best to get along with everybody here and have had a good time posting in the process. If you feel I've done enough to deserve keeping my spot, by all means re-elect me. If you feel I haven't, or that someone else might just do a better job, no hard feelings if you vote for them. :) (Also, I like parenthesis.)

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES....I mean.....ARMBAR!!!!!
ArJay

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Chris Jericho
Favorite Show: Raw

PostPosted by IWillNotDie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 am

- Why you want the job.
Well, I want the job because I think you guys are super coolski. Plus it would be a huge power trip for me to be an Admin AND Moderator. The combining of the Mod green with the Admin Red(ish) would create some sort of super yellow, I think I am worthy of this super yellow.

I can recite the alphabet backwards and also I come up with amazing ideas (e.g. super yellow)

- Any other comments/questions regarding the subject
I promise free ice cream for all if I become Super-Yellow-Ultra-Admod.

Seriously though, I just want to stress with everyone that this isn't a "Well, I'm tired of this guy as mod so let me vote for someone else." but an evaluation of the current team and an evaluation if they have or have not met your standards as forum moderators. Let me be clear that I am in no way trying to persuade any of you one way or another with your vote, I think I speak for myself, Ben and Rich when I say we want your honest opinion and your honest vote but I just want to get across that all those voting should take a minute and to ask themselves if Longshot and/or ArJay have fulfilled YOUR expectations as mods and deserve to stay or if you feel that going in another direction is better for the forum.
IWillNotDie
Site Admin

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 am

- Why you want the job.
Well, unlike that horrible power-hungry IWND, I want the mod spot for different reasons. As the "code of AF admins" declares, one can only work 35 hours in one week. Having spent most of that time doing admin...stuff and calling ArJay "Super Rickles" and working on my DASHING gimmick, my own twisted logic states that if I get a mod spot, I can spend TWICE the time on AF and thus call ArJay "Super Rickles" TWICE as much. Also, I like the sound of Madmin or Admod.

I can cook delicious pizza and dance to Rage Against the Machine. Also, I'm DASHING.

- Any other comments/questions regarding the subject
Anybody who votes for me can be my sidekick. We shall be announced as "DASHING Ben Lister and Almost-as-dashing-but-not-as-dashing-as-DBL [insert you name here]
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

PostPosted by IWillNotDie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 am

2G CrayZ wrote:Madmin

Stolen.

Also, forgot to wish good luck in my previous post so good luck to all nominating and re-nominating themselves.
IWillNotDie
Site Admin

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:30 am

I'm going to add to what CrayZ started when he was saying what will be expected from a Mod.

-You need to be proactive. You can't just sit around thinking everything is perfect the way it is, you have to see the things that could be improved AND come up with how they can be improved. After that, you have to be able to communicate it to the Admins (and the other mod) in a way that makes them see why it is a good idea and how it can be implemented. This is actually a bit more complicated than you might think, but it is necessary.

-You have to be able to separate yourself from a situation and look at it objectively. If you are a member of the staff it is your obligation to the forum to make sure that cooler heads prevail. While no one is getting paid on the staff, it doesn't mean that you don't have to conduct yourself professionally when you are acting on behalf of the forum.

-You have to be willing to disagree with everyone on the staff and be able to explain your position when you feel it is necessary. You are being brought in to not only carry some of the workload, but also to bring a different viewpoint to the discussion. No one wants a "Yes Man" on the staff.

-You also have to understand when it is time to compromise when you aren't getting your way. Almost everything is voted on as far as staff action goes. If you expect to get your way every time, you should prepare to be frustrated.

Anywho, these are just a few things to think about if you plan to throw your name in....

[spoiler="SWERVE!"]Which I am for all the reasons above. Those are basically the qualities that my run as mod this past year has encapsulated.

To sum it up:

Proactive thinking, a year of experience with this forum, solid spam removal skills, a ton of activity, attention to detail, and a level head.

Basically, I think I did a decent job as a mod in 2010 and I would continue in the vein in 2011. I think I bring a different point of view to the staff and it is one that has helped improve the forum throughout the year. I am pretty sure that there is plenty more that can be done to continue this improvement in 2011 and I believe myself to be suited for the job.

Not really a swerve though was it? That's how I got you. You thought I was going to swerve you and I didn't. HEAD GAMES![/spoiler]
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 am

I am going to nominate myself.

I made this decision awhile ago and I feel bad about doing it because should I win, it means one of the current moderators will not keep their job and they both have done a good job around here. That said, I think I deserve a chance to be mod. I have been active on this forum - my post count may be relatively low, but I believe part of the reason is the amount I put into each post. I've put in work for Armbar -most notably in the form of AFW, but also in other ways - including searching out and finding mods for Ben to install, even if I can't do it myself. I've also tried many failed endeavors to expand AF's membership, and I'm sure I will try more failed endeavors in the future. But I will continue to try, continue to put in the time- and I really believe that one will eventually take off.

I'm certainly not afraid to express my position, I'm around quite a bit and I think I'm usually pretty level-headed and rational when it comes to taking action. I think I handle myself in a professional manner, and I think I'd make an excellent mod.
Michael Cole wrote: The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! Tap out! Tap out! Tap out! Go to sleep! Do whatever you do! AJ WINS!"
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

dcbandicoot wrote: including searching out and finding mods for Ben to install, even if I can't do it myself.

I can confirm this. He's fucking annoying about it too, as he "reminds" me every two hours until I do it lol.

Also, as another example, I have a PM from him, 20 minutes before this thread went up called "A friendly reminder for the mod elections". Coincidence much?

Anyway, again, not saying "vote for Bando", all I'm saying is "I'm confirming what he's saying".
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:20 pm

2G CrayZ wrote:
dcbandicoot wrote: including searching out and finding mods for Ben to install, even if I can't do it myself.

I can confirm this. He's fucking annoying about it too, as he "reminds" me every two hours until I do it lol.

Also, as another example, I have a PM from him, 20 minutes before this thread went up called "A friendly reminder for the mod elections". Coincidence much?

Anyway, again, not saying "vote for Bando", all I'm saying is "I'm confirming what he's saying".

In my defense, I was mostly mocking myself with that last one. You had asked about the date in a (Raw?) group chat a couple weeks ago.

But yes, I'm fucking annoying about the mods because it expedites the otherwise six-month installation process. :nod:
Michael Cole wrote: The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! The Octopus! Tap out! Tap out! Tap out! Go to sleep! Do whatever you do! AJ WINS!"
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by rich0 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:58 pm

I don't want to say too much and potentially influence voting. I'm just very happy we have people willing to help out around here. Really appreciate anyone throwing their name in the hat. Thank you.
rich0

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Nigel McGuiness/Nate Diaz
Favorite Show: IPW:UK, Chikara, UFC.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35 pm

dcbandicoot wrote:
2G CrayZ wrote:

In my defense, I was mostly mocking myself with that last one. You had asked about the date in a (Raw?) group chat a couple weeks ago.

But yes, I'm fucking annoying about the mods because it expedites the otherwise six-month installation process. :nod:

Speaking of which, what's going on with the calendar/sidebar mod?
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by dcbandicoot » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 am

Ben couldn't find the full mod on the site I sent him (ie, I think it wasn't actually posted) so we're back doing the thing where I have to find one before I can bug him again.
dcbandicoot

PostPosted by Cruisermark88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:34 am

Such a dilemma. All of you suck (especially you, Shot!), but I am nowhere near qualified to nominate myself. Life is hard.

Ernie Hudson Should Die In A Fire
Cruisermark88

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka, Scotty Riggs, Ciclope, ect.
Favorite Show: Impact or Nitro with ILMH and Longshot.

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:40 am

I think everybody here is an important piece to completing the puzzle known as Armbar Forums. From what I've seen all the mods did a great job on doing everything humanly possible to make this forum as attractive as it is today. I would nominate myself, but I honestly don't think I'm needed for such a job because it is already being taken care by several members here already. I am a regular visitor that contributes a lot to this forum, but I'm not ready for such a position in power yet and still feel comfy being a supporting member of the forum. Perhaps I'll re-consider next year and try out for nominations. But for now, I'm just fine as I am. Now I will say that I will make it a goal to advertise this place as much as I can so that we can gain more members so we can have more interesting discussions with fans that share our passion. I think that everybody did a great job on their contributions last year and I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place or any member here. Long live Armbar.
Voice of the voiceless: CM Punk.
Voiceless of the voice: Y2J
MarvelousMe

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Anyone with over three moves
Favorite Show: WCW Nitro

Return to Announcements, Rules and FAQ's