Boxing Legend Passes Away

Non-wrestling/MMA topics and chat are welcomed here.

Boxing Legend Passes Away

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 am

Joe Frazier, the former world heavyweight boxing champion best known for his three matches with Muhammad Ali, passed away today from liver cancer at the age of 67.

Frazier and Ali was one of modern sports' greatest rivalries, with Frazier winning their 1971 match at Madison Square Garden which was one of the biggest sports event of its time. After Ali won the second meeting, the third bout, the Thrilla in Manila, was one of the greatest and most brutal heavyweight matches in history and neither was ever the same in the ring after that battle.

Frazier, who won the gold medal as a heavyweight in the 1964 Olympics in boxing, participated in pro wrestling a number of times over the years, starting in Puerto Rico in the early 80s through being in Mr. T's corner at the second WrestleMania, as well as being a referee at the second Starrcade for the Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes match..

I remember hearing about Smokin' Joe when I was young but never actually got to see him fight until a few years back when trolling around Youtube.

R.I.P big man.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Boxing Legend Passes Away

PostPosted by Longshot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:43 pm

They announced he was doing badly on Sunday and then he passed on Monday. Just seemed sort of sudden.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

Re: Boxing Legend Passes Away

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 am

Longshot wrote:They announced he was doing badly on Sunday and then he passed on Monday. Just seemed sort of sudden.

I'd seen reports of his liver cancer getting worse for quite some time now so it wasn't a total shocker to hear of it to me but still terrible to hear of, one of the best from the hayday of boxing.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Return to Forum of 1,004 holds