Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal

A place for MMA promotions that are trying to last longer than Elite XC did.

Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 am

Lightweight Championship bout: Gilbert Melendez (c) vs. Jorge Masvidal
Women's Featherweight Championship bout: Cristiane Santos (c) vs. Hiroko Yamanaka
Light Heavyweight bout: Gegard Mousasi vs.Ovince St. Preux
Lightweight bout: KJ Noons vs. Billy Evangelista

This event goes down tomorrow and is a pretty solid event, firstly I'm annoyed that we are not getting to see any preliminary coverage of these fights, I forgot how those days were [even though that was only months ago]

But for the main card, plenty of fun.

Noons vs. Evangalista should be fireworks, I'm taking KJ Noons in a big way I think his boxing is far too good for Evangalista and I don't see him being taken down repeatedly, a striking battle surely favors Noons.

Mousasi vs. OSP is an interesting fight, I pick Mousasi to collect a knockout later in the fight but I think there is reason to throw down a small bet on OSP considering he is a really good wrestler and thats clearly the biggest weakness of Mousasi.

Hiroko Yamanaka vs. Cyborg is a fight that's happening because Cyborg needs someone to beat up, I like Yamanaka, she has some good tools and is top 10 145 pounder who will beat up a lot of girls in Strikeforce right now but Cyborg will butcher her in a striking battle.

Melendez vs. Masvidal is a fantastic fight, I pick the champ here to retain his gold but Masvidal should give him a really good fight. To put it simply, I think Melendez pretty much does everything better than Masvidal but Jorge is still incredibly good at wrestling and striking so I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled an upset.

@justinfauxmma Follow that guy during the show, I hear he tweets some mildly witty comments from time to time.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal

PostPosted by rich0 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:01 pm

I was a bit out of it last night but I watched this while watching a film at the same time. Shows how out of it I was, I couldn't focus on MMA.

Noons vs. Evangalista was a fun, fun fight. I had KJ winning it. Honestly, I wasn't really paying attention thought.

Mousas needs to pick his game up. I thought he should have dominated OSP and was surprised to see him run out of gas again. A few years ago some people were mentioning Mousas as the #2 fighter in the world. He's obviously talented but very beatable at this point.

CYBORG.....!!! Seriously, who's next? She's the LEGIT Goldberg of MMA.

Pain killers kicked in during the 2nd round of the main event and I fell asleep. I read that it pretty much went how most people saw it going. Back and forth but Gil is the man. GET THIS MAN TO THE UFC ALREADY!!!
rich0

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Nigel McGuiness/Nate Diaz
Favorite Show: IPW:UK, Chikara, UFC.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Saw the show, decent enoug, nothing amazing. I still don't think Melendez could beat Edgar.

PS: I did laugh when he challenged Edgar to come fight him in SF. As if that'll ever happen.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:32 pm

rich0 wrote:I was a bit out of it last night but I watched this while watching a film at the same time. Shows how out of it I was, I couldn't focus on MMA.

Noons vs. Evangalista was a fun, fun fight. I had KJ winning it. Honestly, I wasn't really paying attention thought.

Mousas needs to pick his game up. I thought he should have dominated OSP and was surprised to see him run out of gas again. A few years ago some people were mentioning Mousas as the #2 fighter in the world. He's obviously talented but very beatable at this point.

CYBORG.....!!! Seriously, who's next? She's the LEGIT Goldberg of MMA.

Pain killers kicked in during the 2nd round of the main event and I fell asleep. I read that it pretty much went how most people saw it going. Back and forth but Gil is the man. GET THIS MAN TO THE UFC ALREADY!!!

I had Evangalista winning the fight 29-28 collecting the first two frames but I didn't really have too much of an issue with the scoring, Big John scored it for Evangalista but the others saw it for Noons but it was close.

Mousasi looked better than he has in a long time, probably since he knocked the hell out of Babalu. He showed actual wrestling, took him down and beat the hell out of him -- The first round I was on the brink of calling a 10-8 round and the second was still pretty dominate but his gas tank came into play once again and OSP took the final frame closely, overall a good performance by Mousasi at this stage but he's still not ready to tangle with the best at 205.

The real issue with Gegard is he doesn't train with elite level fighters, he trains with a core group of four friends and that's all -- If he goes and trains with some world class wrestlers who put him on his back repeatedly all day he will learn a lot.

I was surprised to see Yanamaka get blown out of the water so quickly, I mean I didn't expect her to win but shes good enough to stick around but Cyborg landed 17 strikes in 16 seconds putting her out. At first I thought it was a bad stoppage because she was looking for a heel until I saw the post-fight with Yamanaka when sh+e said she has no recollection of it.

Well, you didn't miss all that much after the first two frames because the next three were exactly the same, Masvidal showed no urgency, didn't push the pace or add any pressure to Gil and he just picked him apart in a fight that looked eerily similar to GSP-Koscheck.

I definitely think Gilbert Melendez should be in the UFC, I mean I want to see him come in and face the Cowboy Cerrones, Anthony Pettis' of the world and see where he stacks up at 155 but now the narrative is "Melendez sucks cause he didn't finish Masvidal" amongst most fight fans.

Even if hypothetically Gilbert can't beat the tippity top of the division [top 3 for instance] who wouldn't be excited to see him paired up with a Charles Do Bronx or Jim Miller or a Melvin Guillard?

2G CrayZ wrote:Saw the show, decent enoug, nothing amazing. I still don't think Melendez could beat Edgar.

PS: I did laugh when he challenged Edgar to come fight him in SF. As if that'll ever happen.

He didn't challenge Edgar to come over to Strikeforce, he challenged any of the contenders over in the UFC to try and take his belt.

Word around the campfire is if Cowboy beats Diaz and wants Melendez, he has it.

Personally, I don't see him taking it though because he's finally made it to the big show and making some good coin and moving to Strikeforce is a major drop in sponsorship money and base pay, the Zuffa brass would have to sweeten the pot a bit and I don't see them doing so.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Return to Others