A Foxxc Column: Alexander Gustafsson

Come hug some Dana nuts.

A Foxxc Column: Alexander Gustafsson

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 am

My debut piece on MMASucka.com

One of the key breakout stars of the year has been Alexander Gustafsson.

Beginning his year in Sydney, Australia Gustafsson submitted local hero James Te Huna with a rear-naked-choke with only seconds remaining in the opening round.

He bettered that impressive outing at UFC 133 in August by destroying UFC mainstay Matt Hamill and putting him away in the second frame.

Now he looks to put the icing on the cake that was 2011 by collecting his fourth straight victory this Friday when he faces grizzled veteran Vladimir Matyushenko on the main card of UFC 141.

Matyushenko has seen and done it all when it comes to mixed martial arts.

A veteran of 31 professional bouts “The Janitor” has faced some of the best in the game including Tito Ortiz, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Andrei Arlovski and reigning light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones.

Although he is 40-years-old, Matyushenko is on a winning streak of his own, collecting two-straight knockout victories over Alexandre Ferreira and Jason Brilz.

It’s safe to say the Belarusian striker has a trick or two up his sleeve and could be the toughest test of the Swede’s young career.

If the talented, young kick-boxer can leave the Mandalay Bay Events Center this Friday night with his hand raised, he will sit in a spot very similar to where the reigning king at 205-pounds, Jon Jones sat 12 months prior.

Jones had two back-to-back opening frame stoppages of Brandon Vera and Vladimir Matyushenko in 2010 and had to fight fans and media aficionado’s questioning his potential as a player in the light-heavyweight landscape.

Little did we know that merely three months later Jones would have ten-pounds of UFC gold wrapped comfortably around his waist.
To predict that Gustafsson will have a year similar to Jones’ is outrageous since Jones only got a chance at being the top dog due to his fellow Jackson’s training partner Rashad Evans being forced out of his title bout with “Shogun” Rua.

But is it crazy to think that when 2012 comes to a close that “The Mauler” wouldn’t be a fight or two away from challenging for a championship? I don’t think so.

Gustafsson was blessed with a natural athleticism and competitive nature that has taken him a long way in a short period of time, and at 24-years-of-age, the sky is the limit.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: A Foxxc Column: Alexander Gustafsson

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:20 am

Nice little profile/hype piece for that fight. I personally like it when people highlight the undercard of fights. Sure, people are really in it for the main event, but you always hope for one of the other fights to catch your eye so you can pinpoint the guy you think will be the next big thing.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

Re: A Foxxc Column: Alexander Gustafsson

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 am

Longshot wrote:Nice little profile/hype piece for that fight. I personally like it when people highlight the undercard of fights. Sure, people are really in it for the main event, but you always hope for one of the other fights to catch your eye so you can pinpoint the guy you think will be the next big thing.

Thanks man, well everyone is writing about Reem/Lesnar and I think Gustafsson has potential to be a real player soon.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Return to UFC