Welterweight bout: Erick Silva vs. Carlo Prater
Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim

Preliminary card (FX)
Lightweight bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Sam Stout
Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
Featherweight bout: Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Welterweight bout: Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle
Featherweight bout: Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho

This goes down in a day or so, not sure if people even care but I'll throw down my picks.

Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio Carvalho
Carvahlo beats Arantes wherever he wants to take it, he's a much better striker, has solid wrestling and excellent submission game, I'll say Carvahlo to get the TKO from ground & pound in round 2.

Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle
Was originally slated to be Pyle/Thiago which was a much better fight but heres an easy win for Pyle, he'll put him on his back and beat him up to a decision.

Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa
This fight really intrigues me, I'm calling Alcantara here but I'm not entirely confident due to the wrestling and grappling game of Michi especially if he works his top game, I'll say Alcantara to take a 29-28 style decision.

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
Everyones all over Oliveira at the moment claiming him to be the next big thing in the heavyweight division but I think that's only cause he trains with Dos Santos. I think Gabe is good enough to win this, I think his striking is more technical and could even knock him out, I'll say first round TKO.

Thiago Tavares vs. Sam Stout
This fight has the ability to be a fight of the night candidate, I think the styles match up well. I would usually pick Stout with no issues but since this is the first fight since Tompkins I think it might weigh on him a bit, I'm still gonna pick Stout to win a decision but I'm not entirely confident.

Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim
I favor Barboza but I don't think it's crazy to think Etim could trouble him with his reach and quick jab work or even catch him in a guillotine but I'll pick Edson to tag him early, smell blood and get the stoppage in round one.

Erick Silva vs. Carlo Prater
Silva is an impressive young prospect, he brings KO power in a big way and I expect him to make pretty quick work of Prater who would have to tap him to leave with a win here.

Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Massenzio
This is a pretty easy one, Palhares is 2nd best grappler in the division who loves him a heel hook, Massenzio has been tapped to a heel hook twice in his career and doesn't have much more than a punchers chance.

Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson
Everyones expecting this to be a slugfest, I say AJ shoots for the takedown early and beats him up like he did against Dan Hardy -- It's no secret when Vitor is put on his back or in any threatening situation he can't get out of he mentally quits, that's what I expect to happen.

José Aldo (c) vs. Chad Mendes
I was picking Chad for days until I wrote my breakdown of this fight and it swayed me, I think there is a good chance that Mendes wins a 48-47 style decision here especially since Aldo is a slow starter since he lost the first round to Faber, Brown and first two to Florian.

But I'm gonna pick the champ to get the knockout here, Mendes has good fundamentals but rushes in too much when throwing combinations, if he leaves him chin out for a second too long its goodnight, Jose Aldo by 3rd round TKO.

Who you got?
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: UFC 142 Discussion Thread

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Main card
Featherweight Championship: José Aldo (c) vs. Chad Mendes

The are a few guys I just never pick against. Aldo is one of them.

Middleweight bout: Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson

I took Belfort, but mostly because I really just am not that familiar with Anthony Johnson.

Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Massenzio

I don't know much about either of these guys.

When in doubt, pick the guy whose name sounds more Brazilian. Silva it is.

Barboza has looked like an animal in the fights I have seen, so I would be willing to take him over most guys.

Preliminary card (FX)

Sam Stout. No analysis needed. He has a solid first name and then a last name that reminds me of beer. Also I have actually seen him fight a couple times and he is generally impressive.

I took Gonzaga for the sole reason that I have seen him fight on multiple occasions and he is generally pretty decent. This is a guy who kind of acts as a gatekeeper to the uppercard for Heavyweight fighters. It almost feels like you don't deserve to even be mentioned in title contention if you can't beat Gonzaga. That being said, not everyone is built for title contention.

I've got Alcantara. He hasn't lost since 2009 and he can win in a variety of ways.

I like the last name "Pyle" way more than "Funch." Funch just sounds like someone with a speech impediment couldn't say punch. I can't get down with that sort of thing.

This is a tough call for me. I am having a tough time deciding whose name seems more Brazilian of the two. I will go with Arantes, but only because I think I like his last name more.

And that's what happens when a casual fan does some MMA fight analysis.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Longshot wrote:Main card
Featherweight Championship: José Aldo (c) vs. Chad Mendes

The are a few guys I just never pick against. Aldo is one of them.

Middleweight bout: Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson

I took Belfort, but mostly because I really just am not that familiar with Anthony Johnson.

Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Mike Massenzio

I don't know much about either of these guys.

When in doubt, pick the guy whose name sounds more Brazilian. Silva it is.

Barboza has looked like an animal in the fights I have seen, so I would be willing to take him over most guys.

Preliminary card (FX)

Sam Stout. No analysis needed. He has a solid first name and then a last name that reminds me of beer. Also I have actually seen him fight a couple times and he is generally impressive.

I took Gonzaga for the sole reason that I have seen him fight on multiple occasions and he is generally pretty decent. This is a guy who kind of acts as a gatekeeper to the uppercard for Heavyweight fighters. It almost feels like you don't deserve to even be mentioned in title contention if you can't beat Gonzaga. That being said, not everyone is built for title contention.

I've got Alcantara. He hasn't lost since 2009 and he can win in a variety of ways.

I like the last name "Pyle" way more than "Funch." Funch just sounds like someone with a speech impediment couldn't say punch. I can't get down with that sort of thing.

This is a tough call for me. I am having a tough time deciding whose name seems more Brazilian of the two. I will go with Arantes, but only because I think I like his last name more.

And that's what happens when a casual fan does some MMA fight analysis.

This is a must for every UFC going forward, hell it'd be even funnier if you did it for a Jungle Fights or DEEP or something lol.

To the night at hand, things have changed with Rumble missing weight again which makes me second guess my prediction -- I'm still gonna stick with AJ to essentially take him down, gas out and stay there for 15 minutes.
#Foxxc#

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:52 am

To be honest, I have written all day and have no interest in doing any more here lol head overto MMASucka.com, I have had a freaking field day, 14 articles there covering every fight individually along with their post-fight comments from interviews from UFC.com that I get sent to me after each fight now due to being in good with the UFC guys.

As well, I did a what's next for the main card winners piece too, I'll post stuff here tomorrow probably.
#Foxxc#

Return to UFC