Royal Rumbles 92/01

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Royal Rumbles 92/01

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:49 am

In preparation for the Royal Rumble, I present two of the best Royal Rumbles for the viewing pleasure of everyone here. Enjoy.

Of all the Royal Rumbles in WWE history, there are two in particular that stand the test of time. Generally regarded as the best Royal Rumbles in history. Those Rumbles are 1992 Rumble and the 2001 Rumble. First up...the 1992 Rumble. If you have never seen this match before, I invite you to watch. Rumble 92 is considered one of the best because it was the first time the winner drew a low number. Secondly, the winner became champion right there so it meant more. Thirdly, Gorllia/Heenan commentary.

Royal Rumble 2001. This Rumble also stands the test of time for several reasons. Firstly, it was nearing the end of the Attitude Era so wrestling characters were hot and so was the crowd and overall fan interest. Secondly, this particular Rumble match had a mixture of everything. High flying spots, brawling spots, technical wrestling spots, hardcore wrestling spots and a spice of humor as well. This Rumble had something for everybody. Lastly, this was the Rumble where Kane went Apeshit and eliminated 25% of the participants by himself. Looking back at this, I actually think Kane should have won although I can understand the money draw between Austin/Rock.
Voice of the voiceless: CM Punk.
Voiceless of the voice: Y2J
MarvelousMe

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Anyone with over three moves
Favorite Show: WCW Nitro
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumbles 92/01

PostPosted by Herco » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 am

I'm definately watching these two later, thanks for the post.
Herco

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Raven
Favorite Show: Raw, Smackdown! & TNA. Only before 2007.

PostPosted by Herco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:40 am

Ok, watched them both. I gotta say, that's probably the two best rumbles I've ever seen. You got all the big names of those eras in there.
That's the difference between those two and sunday's rumble, which had like 3 or 4 really big names on it.

WWE is doing a fine job at building new main eventers but it's taking them so long. They can't depend on John Cena, HHH, The Undertaker and The Rock anymore, they need to build new main eventers. I still don't buy Ziggler, R-Truth, Wade Barrett, Swagger, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry as real main eventers, they just seem to me like talented mid-carders who just got a streak and a push for a few months, nothing more.
Herco

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:02 am

Herco wrote:I still don't buy Ziggler, R-Truth, Wade Barrett, Swagger, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan and Mark Henry as real main eventers, they just seem to me like talented mid-carders who just got a streak and a push for a few months, nothing more.

If I am not mistaken, and correct me if I am, didn't you say you didn't watch WWE very much last year when you came back?
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by Herco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 am

You're right!
Herco

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 am

Herco wrote:You're right!

Not calling you out or anything, but you missed a lot of those guys really elevating their games. None of them are really the "flagship" type guy (e.g. Rock, Austin, HHH, Cena, Orton) at the moment that you might think of when you say "main eventer" but these guys have gotten to the point where they don't look out of place feuding with guys who are at that level. WWE has actually done quite a bit in the way of pushing midcarders toward that top tier in the past year.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by Herco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:30 am

I really agree with your point, but you said it yourself, WWE needs more 'flagship' kind of wrestlers. CM Punk is the biggest they made since Cena and Orton probably, so that's a good start, but they seriously need more recognizable names, it's not like they don't have a roster full of talented, young and over with the crowd wrestlers to do that. Hey, Jack Swagger held the world title one time, so why cool things up? He can be your next Kurt Angle for that matter.
Herco

PostPosted by Chui » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 pm

I love the 2001 Rumble so much. The Kane/Honky Tonk Man bit is still one of my favorite moments ever.
Chui

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Chael Sonnen

Return to General Wrestling