Historic moments in wrestling history

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Historic moments in wrestling history

PostPosted by Herco » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey guys, I got a new topic in hands: Post a full match/segment/interview/shoot/PPV that you consider is a must watch for any wrestling fan, from any era or company, and your thoughts as to why it was so important. I'm starting right now:

Date: April 3rd, 2005
Event: Wrestlemania 21
Venue: Staples Center, L.A. California

WWE Championship Match: John Bradshaw Layfield (c) vs. John Cena

While many will disagree, I absolutely loved this match. The storyline behind it at the time was very well done, with JBL entering as the rich, refined, but aggresive undefeated champion and Cena being the street-thug underdog with a whole dream to accomplish.

I consider it great because it's the beginning of the Cena era: This match completed John Cena's ascension to the top of the WWE until today,which made him the biggest star in the industry since The Rock and Stone Cold.
Herco

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Raven
Favorite Show: Raw, Smackdown! & TNA. Only before 2007.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Historic moments in wrestling history

PostPosted by ILOVEMATTHARDY » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 am

Modern history making moment:

Why is this modern history?
-It's the first time that Vince was willing to take a real chance on someone with their most prominent belt with not an overly large amount of build.
-The beginning of WWE saying "Fuck you" to the internet and showing that they can still be unpredictable.
-First Irish born WWE champion!

This is the moment that made me second guess every pick for every match since. Orton burying Henry? Jericho winning the rumble? Miz being the first to cash in and lose? Swagger being first to cash in and lose? Christian being relevant and entertaining in any way at all? All of these were wildly popular picks were completely untrue and humbled a lot of stupid ignorant marks who do nothing but bitch that WWE is unpredictable.

Fuck you internet. Especially you, Longshot.
ILOVEMATTHARDY

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by ArJay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Goddamn we need the thanks button.
ArJay

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Chris Jericho
Favorite Show: Raw

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:41 pm

TNA History Making Moment:

The historical impact was that this kicked off one of the better feuds in TNA history and regardless of how things went with TNA in the future, this led to a series of really solid matches and very entertaining matches. Also, Angle is easily the biggest WWE defection to date. He had been let go from WWE in order to get his pill addiction under control and had been so miffed by the move that he comepltely jumped ship and went to the competition.

I can remember this so vividly that it is weird to think that it was 5 years ago. The confrontation was awesome. No words were said. At the time, Joe had been built as the baddest man in TNA and Angle was brought in as the only guy who could possibly keep him under control for the title match. When Angle head butts him and Joe gets busted open, it was insane. Then Joe gets up and looks like he is ready to murder Angle, his family, and anyone who ever wanted an autograph from the guy. It was such a well booked segment that you forget that neither man was even the TNA Champion at the time. They both came across as such total ass kickers that Jeff Jarrett, the actual champion, gets lost in the shuffle. It was so good it made you want to kick ILMH right in the fucking teeth.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:18 am

Outsiders attack Eric Bischoff

In today's wrestling product, authority figures taking place in action or being assaulted in any form is very common, but in the old days it was a relative unknown and rarely happened on any circumstances. When Scott Hall and Kevin Nash debuted in WCW it felt so real at the time. As a child, I was confused because I remembered seeing Nash face the Undertaker at Wrestlemania XII and only 3 months later, I saw him on a Nitro show. Hall and Nash kept giving cryptic references to the WWF, but never actually saying their name. It was crazy because the fans knew who they were, the wrestlers knew who they were, and the announcers knew who they were, but nobody could actually say who they were for copyright reasons. I can only imagine how frustrated Vince McMahon must have felt at the time because his own characters were being used against him and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it. Then came the promo at the Great American Bash. Eric Bischoff was the on screen play by play guy. At that point in time, it wasn't public knowledge that Bischoff called the shots. Sure, you saw his name as Executive Producer at the end of all the shows, but when you are 11 years old you fast forward through that. The Outsiders wanted to know who they were facing at Bash at the Beach. When Bischoff refused to give them an answer, the unthinkable happened. For the first time in my life, an authority figure was attacked viciously. This was no ordinary attack either. Bischoff was power bombed off the stage. I was shocked. I had never seen anything like this happen before and many fans across the world at the time didn't either. As amazing as this moment was, it was only a taste of what would eventually lead to what we now remember as the Monday Night Wars.

Honorable Mention: NWO attacks WCW at Disney

The Infamous Disney attack. I remember this segment clearly to this very day. Nash darted Rey Mysterio into that portable like a dart. Four Horsemen Enforcer Arn Anderson and the American Males were also casualties of the Outsiders heinous attacks. Macho Man jumped on top of a limo to get Hogan. A frantic Jimmy Hart begs for the babyfaces and the heels to stop fighting each other. Everyone went to the back to see what happened. The realism, emotion, drama, and commentary made it all seem so real. The NWO seemed like heartless bastards that only cared about themselves and no one else. Knowing we will never see stuff like this in professional wrestling again combined with the knowledge that a quarter of the people that were present in this angle are now dead brings a tear to my eye. Despite this, I'm happy to say that I'm part of a generation that grew up through this era and experienced it first hand. I didn't read about WCW, I lived it.
Voice of the voiceless: CM Punk.
Voiceless of the voice: Y2J
MarvelousMe

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Anyone with over three moves
Favorite Show: WCW Nitro

PostPosted by ILOVEMATTHARDY » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 am

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4y9x9 ... from=embed

HBK sending Flair off. Best sendoff ever. I haven't welled up at something in wrestling near as much as I did to this. I still get teary eyed.

(I pretend like Ric Flair never went to TNA.)
ILOVEMATTHARDY

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Return to General Wrestling