Retro Wrestlemania Review Thread

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Re: Retro Wrestlemania Review Thread

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:01 am

WrestleMania 2000 Theme

WrestleMania 2000 (XVI/16) Review

WrestleMania 2000 is a complicated PPV with several pros and cons that can be used to say this show was very good and both very bad at the same time. First of all, the Triangle Ladder Match between E&C, The Dudley Boyz, and The Hardy Boyz was match of the night and stole the show. It redefined tag team wrestling and set the bar for what we now know as TLC matches. The Hardcore Championship Battle Royal was entertaining while it lasted and the belt changed hands numerous times. However, the botched finish hurts the match. This show also features the most underrated and always forgotten Triple Threat Eurocontinental Title match between Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, and Chris Benoit. This match featured fantastic technical wrestling and grappling. It elevated all three men to new plateaus and eventually lead to a main event push for Kurt Angle. The main event match was a fatal four way between The Rock, HHH, Big Show, and Mick Foley, but to be completely honest, the match itself was more of a feud centered between McMahons. The wrestlers themselves were just sideshows of that act. To be completely honest, this match should have been absent of all the McMahons (minus Stephanie) as well as Big Show and Foley. It should have just been The Rock vs HHH as they were the top two guys in the company at this time (The Undertaker and Steve Austin were both injured and MIA at this time). The predictable finish of the F4W as well as HHH walking out with the title hurt this match overall. Everything else on the show was filler and not worth the mention.

Putting the actual show itself aside, you have to also consider the commercial success that WrestleMania 2000 brought forth to the Wrestling world AND to the video game world. In late 1999, THQ released a game for the Nintendo 64 called WWF WrestleMania 2000 that became extremely successful. This game also had a Game Boy Color port although it did not share the same success. WrestleMania 2000 along with its predecessor WWF No Mercy is universally recognized as one as the best Wrestling games of all time. It developed a model that many wrestling games in the future would use. Was WrestleMania 2000 overhyped? Yes. Is WrestleMania 2000 overrated? Yes. Despite this, you cannot deny the overall success that WrestleMania 2000 brought forth to the industry and the media in general. Overall.....this show is a pass, but barely makes the cut. If WrestleMania 2000 was a research paper, it would be a C+. A strong 77 at best.

WrestleMania XII Poster
Participants that were advertised for the show from left to right...The "Bad Guy" Razor Ramon (did not compete), "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels, Bret "Hitman" Hart, Big Daddy Cool Diesel, and The Undertaker
Voice of the voiceless: CM Punk.
Voiceless of the voice: Y2J
MarvelousMe

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Anyone with over three moves
Favorite Show: WCW Nitro
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:19 am

WrestleMania X-Seven(XVII) Review

Undertaker's Streak: 9-0

"The Undertaker defeated Triple H after a Last Ride from the top rope. This was one of the best Undertaker matches ever at WrestleMania and this was the time where more people is starting to take notice about The Undertaker's winning streak."

WrestleMania X-Seven(XVII) Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP3RP90QoBc&list=UUMc0MjGeBbRkFz0-qk2NLzQ&index=7&feature=plcp

The purchase of WCW. The death of ECW. The end of the Attitude Era....and the heel turn of Stone Cold Steve Austin. All of this and much more was covered in WrestleMania X-Seven. WrestleMania XV showed you the worst of the Attitude Era, but WrestleMania X-Seven showed you the best of the Attitude Era. Look at the card below. Don't just glance through this card. Look through it very carefully and analyze what each match represented and what it brought to the table.

Intercontinental Championship
Chris Jericho (c) vs. William Regal

Six man Tag
APA & Tazz vs. RTC

Hardcore Championship
3waydance
Raven (c) vs. The Big Show vs. Kane

European Championship
Test (c) vs. Eddie Guerrero

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit

Women's Championship
Ivory (c) vs. Chyna

Street Fight with Mick Foley as special guest referee
Vince McMahon vs. Shane McMahon

Tag Team Championship
TLC Match
E&C vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz (c)

Gimmick Battle Royal

Undertaker vs. HHH

WWF Championship
No DQ
The Rock (c) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

11 matches in total. But in those 11 matches, everything that could possibly be represented during any wrestling era was made apparent at some point in the show. The show started off strong with the IC match between Jericho/Regal. We also had a short, but fun 6 man Tag Team match between two waring factions. Then we got an amazing yet entertaining comedy match with the Hardcore Title. After that we had another good mid-card match between Test and Gurerrero. Already we are through 4 matches and you can see the difference between The Attitude Era and the era of today. During the Attitude Era EVERYBODY had something going for them. Nobody was left in "limbo" or lost in the loop. Everybody had a program going for them. Benoit/Angle gave us a technical wrestling classic. Then their was the Women's match followed up by the Street fight between father and son. In the closing portions of the show, we got the TLC match that stole the show and became MOTY. Followed shortly after was a gimmick battle royal meant for comic relief and a shout out to fans of nostalgia. Next up we got HHH/Taker in a great brawl with a mixture of everything. This was a great match that WWE never mentions and pretends didn't happen for some reason. And then there was the main event itself between the top two babyfaces in the company, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Unforgettable match where the man that started the Attitude Era subsequently ended it by forging a pact with the devil himself. Austin going heel almost sparked riots similar to when Hogan went heel in 96. As you can already tell, everything was represented on this card. Low-card, Mid-card, Upper Mid-card. Tag Teams, Main Eventers, Low-Card Titles, Mid-Card Titles, World Titles. Technical wrestling, high flying wrestling, street fight brawl wrestling, women's wrestling. WCW names, ECW names, WWF names, 80's/early 90's names. Everything from top to bottom was represented here. This is the best WrestleMania of all time. Some say WrestleMania III was better, but its a matter of preference really. This WrestleMania is in a class by itself. Consider this show a right of passage if you are a wrestling fan. You cannot be a true wrestling fan if you have not seen this show. If you've never seen a WrestleMania in your life...watch this one.

WrestleMania 13 Poster
Heat!
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Undertaker's Streak: 10-0

This was a bloody no disqualification match. Ric Flair more than held up his own in this match. Another one of the better Undertaker Wrestlemania matches. This is the year the winning streak really took off, when Undertaker motioned ten fingers for his ten victories after pinning Flair.

WrestleMania X8(XVIII)Theme

Wrestlemania X8(XVIII)-Review

To be completely honest, I really didn't care for this Mania. I wish I could explain to you in detail on what it was about this Mania that didn't do it for me, but I just was not invested or interested in it at all. You know how sometimes you see a cup of tea and it can really be a good flavor, but its just not "YOUR" cup of tea? That's what this Mania is for me. Maybe its because this Mania has the misfortune of being between two of the best Manias of all time (X-Seven and XIX). Maybe its because Hogan/Rock was criminally overrated and overshadowed everything else on the card. Maybe it was because this was the year after WCW and ECW were dead and buried which further hampers my interest in this Mania. Maybe its because this is the FINAL WrestleMania under the "WWF" brand name before the "Entertainment" aspect was added in which further depresses me as a wrestling fan. Don't get me wrong, this Mania wasn't bad. It was good. Canadian fans have and will always be the best crowds and Undertaker/Flair was great especially with the Arn Anderson run-in. This Mania was when the Streak became an OFFICIAL TRADEMARK of Mania. This Mania was good, not saying it sucked, but to be honest, I just did not care for this Mania and still don't. Sorry if you liked this one. Not much else to say here. Check it out for Taker/Flair would be my recommendation. Ignore the rest.

WrestleMania XIV Poster
DX Rated
Top-New Generation Mania symbol
Bottom from Left to Right-Stone Cold Steve Austin, Iron Mike Tyson, Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:00 am

WrestleMania XV Poster
Ragin' Climax
Top Row: The Rock, The Big Show, The Undertaker
Center: HHH, Mankind
Bottom: Stone Cold Steve Austin

WrestleMania 2000 (XVI) Poster
California!
Featuring "The Game" HHH and The Rock

WrestleMania X-Seven (XVII) Poster
Houston... We Have a Problem
Featuring Stome Cold Steve Austin & The Rock

WrestleMania X8 (XVIII) Poster
The one and only....
Featuring.....NO ONE :P Jk, it featured The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Chris Jericho, HHH, Undertaker, Ric Flair and several others. This was a very lazy poster for a Mania TBH. Like if its a B-Show PPV, then that's OK, but this was the best poster they can design for a WrestleMania? Just another reason why I don't care for this one.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:51 am

WrestleMania XIX Theme

WrestleMania XIX Review

Of all the WrestleMania's, WrestleMania XIX is my personal favorite. It was a fantastic card from top to bottom. However, for some strange reason that still confuses me to this day this particular WrestleMania is forgotten and hardly brought up at all by wrestling fans and I don't know why. The only negative that I give this show is HHH/Booker T. There is no reason why HHH could not have put over Booker T. Booker T was the final WCW Champion and a five time WCW Champion at that. He was deemed as the savior of WCW and was VERY OVER in 2003. There is no reason why HHH couldn't have dropped the belt here and at least gave Booker a run with the title for 2-3 months, but politics struck again and Triple Douche retained. Yeah, Booker T would win the WHC down the line, but it was too late and fans were not invested in him or his ridiculous "King Booker" gimmick. Oh well, at least Hungry Hungry Hippos put over Benoit at Mania 20. Y eah, I don't like HHH if you haven't been able to notice with my sarcasm. Its not known by most, but Kurt Angle and Steve Austin competed under questionable conditions at this show. Kurt Angle was injured and had a broken neck while Steve Austin almost died of a heart attack the night before. Despite this, both Austin AND Angle went on and competed anyway. Props to both men for their gutsy performances.

This show was outstanding. We got a good Cruiserweight opener with a younger, faster and in shape Matt Hardy and Rey Mysterio. Next up was Undertaker's Handicap match. Although this wasn't his best match, he's had worst in the past and this match was fine for what it was TBH. Our next match up was a very underrated Women's Triple Threat match between Trish Stratus, Jazz and Victoria. All three of these chicks know how to work so it was very good when compared to present day Diva's standards. Our next match gave us the debut of Team Angle now known as the "Worlds Greatest Tag Team" who now reside in ROH. They defended their titles successfully in a great Triple Threat Tag Team match against Los Guerreros and Benoit/Rhyno. HBK and Jericho put on a wrestling classic in the next match and stole the show. *No sells Triple Douche shenanigans* Hogan/McMahon put up a great street fight for their age and the Piper cameo was awesome. Next up was the final match of the Rock/Austin Triology and Austin's final match which was great as well. Last but not least, we got Angle/Lesnar. Not only was this a great match, but it really tells you something when the Main Event of WrestleMania was a SMACKDOWN match featuring two guys that never main evented a Mania before. That's right folks, Smackdown may be shit now, but once upon a time Smackdown was on equal footing with RAW and was the show everyone was talking about. The only negative to this match was the infamous SSP botch.

Like I said above, Mania XIX was an outstanding PPV. Some fans even debate it topped Mania X-Seven. One thing is for sure though, Mania XIX is pound for pound on the top three Manias of all time. Again, the only negatives I give this show is Booker T losing to HHH and the fact that this Mania is largely forgotten by fans of the wrestling community for some godforsaken reason.

Undertaker's Streak: 11-0

The actual match itself was under a lot of scrutiny as it was rumored that the Undertaker did not want to be booked in this match. Originally, it was scheduled to be a tag team match with Nathan Jones, the Undertaker's on screen protege at the time.

WrestleMania XIX Poster
Dare to Dream
Featuring the Space Needle
Also featuring...."The Next Big Thing" Brock Lesnar, Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, The Immortal Hulk Hogan, Vince McMahon, Chris Jericho, HBK, HHH, Booker T and many more!
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 am

wrestleMania XX Theme #1

Drowning Pool - Step up

WrestleMania XX Theme #2

Touche - Godsmack

WrestleMania XX Review

I think this was the first Mania where there was more than one theme song. Could be wrong though so don't quote me on that. WrestleMania XX was a good show, but very long. It had 12 matches and a lot of the card was filler, but the matches were still enjoyable and delivered in the areas they were meant to deliver in. Obviously, the Chris Benoit tragedy and the death of Eddie Guerrero makes this show extremely awkward to watch, especially for present day fans that may not have watched WWE then, but now have the knowledge of both men now. But let's not get in depth about the circumstances of their death. Let's just focus on what truly matters which is the wrestling.

John Cena made his WrestleMania debut here and started a streak of his own by defeated Big Show for the U.S Title. Both the RAW and SD Brands had two great F4W Tag Team Title matches that sped the pace up to the card. Christian defeated the first undisputed Champion in Chris Jericho and solidified his status on the card. This was one of Christian's breakout moments where he showed that when given the opportunity, has the potential to be a main eventer. Evolution had a good handicap match with The Rock-n-Sock Connection. Normally, Handicap matches are hard on the eyes, but all five men made it work here. This was an underrated handicap match that deserves more attention. The Cruiserweight Open was exciting while it lasted although WWE dropped the ball with Ultimo Dragon IMO. The Women's match was legit and the Goldberg/Lesnar match is notorious for all the wrong reasons. This is truly the only dark cloud on the entire card. Its a shame both Goldberg and Lesnar left Professional Wrestling like that. They deserved better. Undertaker returned and had a very lackluster match with Kane. Their matches would only get worst as time went by. Guerrero/Angle was a nice match with a mixture of styles. Eddie was able to retain via lying, cheating, and stealing. HHH, HBK, and Benoit put on one of the best Triple Threats of all time and Benoit finally won the big one only to celebrate with Guerrero afterwards. Its very difficult to watch now.

WrestleMania XX was a great show. One of the best Manias of all time. Let's try to keep Benoit hate comments at a minimum please. We don't know the story. We may never know the story. Some things we aren't supposed to know. Feel free to hate the actions a man chooses to make in life, but never hate the man himself.

Undertaker's Streak: 12-0

This match was the culmination of a great build up that started from the Survivor Series all the way to WrestleMania. The Undertaker played mind games with Kane for several months. Also, The Undertaker returns to his "Deadman" persona (with Paul Bearer on his side) at his return at WrestleMania XX.

WrestleMania XX Poster
Where it all Begins... Again
Featuring: HHH, HBK, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, Undertaker, Kane, and many more!
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:03 am

WrestleMania 21 Theme I

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Big Time

WrestleMania 21 Theme II

Behind Those Eyes-3 Doors Down

Undertaker's Streak: 13-0

It was billed as the "Legend vs Legend Killer match" for WrestleMania 21. This was one of the few moments throughout the Undertaker's Wrestlemania winning streak where fans believed that it could come to an end. Many felt that Randy Orton would get the win to help elevate him higher into the main event, but even the interferance from his father, Cowboy Bob Orton, and his RKO finishing move wasn't enough to break the streak. The Undertaker wins the match after reversing a tombstone piledriver from Orton and performing a tombstone of his own.

WrestleMania 21 Review

WrestleMania 21 was the last WrestleMania that I have personally been invested in and was actually excited and looking forward to see. After Mania 21, began the era of John Cena, Batista, and Randy Orton. In other words, after 2005, WWE started to suck. For me at least anyways. Thank god for NWA-TNA and ROH. Alternatives are always great to have. Putting my opinion aside, let's talk about Mania 21.

Guerrero made his final WrestleMania appearace on this show as he would pass away later on that year. Guerrero/Mysterio had one of the best openers in Mania history. The MITB concept debuted on this Mania. Edge, Christian, Shelton, Kane, Benoit, and Jericho took place. This was the best MITB match IMO. The ones in the future had too many people or not enough people. An even balance of six good workers that all have good chemistry is what makes Ladder/MITB matches the best. Edge would win the first one to start his rise as a Main Eventer. The Sumo match and the Women's match were filler segments and weren't very good. Hulk Hogan made his final (for now at least :P) Mania appearance and beat up Muhammad Hassan who had absurd amounts of heat. HBK/Angle was a five star classic. I found HBK/Angle far more entertaining than any of HBK's matches with Taker. Speaking of Taker, he had a good match with Orton as well. Orton came close to ending the streak, but in the end he became just another number. The world title matches were average. John Cena had an awful match with JBL and Tista's match with HHH wasn't anything to brag about it either. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of Cena or Batista. Never have been, never will be. In conclusion, this was a good mania. Probably had the best undercard in Maina history, but I could completely give two shits about either Main Event. Anything involving Cena/Tista never scores well with me. Angle/HBK and the first MITB are required for hardcore wrestling fans to watch though.

WrestleMania 21 Poster
WrestleMania Goes Hollywood!
Featuring: HHH, Batista, JBL, John Cena, HBK, Kurt Angle, and many more!
Also Featured: The debut of MITB!
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by Herco » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Actually, for some reason, I love the Cena/JBL match and was completely into the story for all of Mania 21, one of my favorite PPV's of all time.
Herco

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Raven
Favorite Show: Raw, Smackdown! & TNA. Only before 2007.

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Herco wrote:Actually, for some reason, I love the Cena/JBL match and was completely into the story for all of Mania 21, one of my favorite PPV's of all time.

Well I respect your opinion, but I didn't like it at all. JBL had one of the longest and boring reigns in Smackdown History. JBL managed to esacpe the likes of Eddie, Tista, Taker, and several others. Cena randomly loses the U.S Title to OJ and then somehow faces JBL at Mania. Has a lackluster match in which Cena gets his ass kicked for 90% of the match and then lands the five moves of doom and bam its over. Crowd was dead and so was I. Cena has had some good matches, but that one was not one of them for me. I'm happy that someone here enjoyed it at least. Thankfully, the undercard for Mania 21 was fantastic.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 am

WrestleMania Reviews will continue later on today. We'll cover Mania 22-27 over a two week period before Mania 28 arrives.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm

WrestleMania 22 Theme I

Big Time-Peter Gabriel

WrestleMania 22 Theme II

I Dare You-Shinedown

WrestleMania 22 Theme III

Save Me Sorrow-Bullets and Octane

WrestleMania 22 Final Theme

Baby Hates Me-Danko Jones

Undertaker's Streak: 14-0

This was billed as a casket match, the first one in WrestleMania history. This match is noted as being one of Mark Henry's better performances as he more than held his own throughout. After the match, Undertaker sends a lightning bolt on the casket.

WrestleMania 22 Review

Jesus, could Mania 22 have enough theme songs? Anyway, this Mania was so-so. Won't be a long review. The Tag match was one of the few times Big Show actually won at a WrestleMania. RVD went on to win MITB which would eventually lead to the resurrection of ECW for a third time and the infamous One Night Stand PPV where RVD would cash in on John Cena and become the new WWE Champion. It was nice to see RVD finally win a world title, but in truth it was four years too late. Benoit brought out a good match in JBL, but I was always confused on how Benoit went from winning the WHC at Mania 20 to working mid-card matches in the final Mania's of his life. Trish/Mickie had the best Women's match in WrestleMania history and should be appreciated more. Edge/Foley had a legendary hardcore match that ended with Foley being speared through a flaming table. HBK/Vince had a nice street fight similar to the one Vince had with Hogan at Mania XIX. The WHC between Orton/Angle/Mysterio was good, but stupidly short. A World Title match that didn't even go 10 mins? Come on now. It was great to see Mysterio win the World Title, but the match was so rushed it felt like just another day in the office. Cena/HHH captured similar heat to Austin/Hart from Mania 13. It was around this time where the flaws of "Super Cena" were becoming more obvious to fans. It was around this time that John Cena went from the most lovable character in the WWE to the most hated character all within a timespan of a year. HHH who was a heel began getting cheered simply because fans wanted "anyone" as champ besides Cena. The Chicago crowd made Cena/HHH a semi double turn almost because after this match HHH was cheered by fans despite being a heel and Cena was booed despite being a face. Every other match on the card was filler or a dud. The Chicago crowd made this show better than it was. Passable Mania.

WrestleMania 22 Poster
Big Time!
Featuring: John Cena and Booker T

Better WrestleMania 22 Poster
Big Time!
Featuring: John Cena, HHH, Kurt Angle, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, Undertaker, Mark Henry, Edge, Mick Foley and many more.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:21 pm

WrestleMania 23 Theme I

Ladies and Gentlemen-Saliva

WrestleMania 23 Theme II

The Memory Will Never Die-Default

Undertaker's Streak: 15-0

This was one of the Undertaker's finest matches ever. The emotions were there as he was able to win the World Heavyweight Championship from Batista. Plus, the match surprised a lot of fans in that Batista performed way better than expected.

WrestleMania 23 Review

WrestleMania 23 Poster
All Grown Up!
Featured from Top to Bottom:
Top: Bobby Lashley, Stone Cold Steve Austin & Umaga
Middle: Vince McMahon & Donald Trump
Bottom Left Hand Corner: Shawn Michaels & John Cena
Bottom Right Hand Corner: Batista & The Undertaker
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 am

WrestleMania XXIV Theme I

Light It Up-Rev Theory

WrestleMaia XXIV Theme II

Snow (Hey Oh)-Red Hot Chili Peppers

Undertaker's Streak: 16-0

Undertaker defeated Edge for the World Heavyweight Title. It was also the first match where The Undertaker win via submission (using his then-unknown Hell's Gate submission hold). However, only about 1 month later Vickie Guererro, who at the time was dating Edge, made Undertaker vacate the title due to his dangerous submission manuever, which he won the match at WrestleMania with.

WrestleMania XXIV Review

This was the last WrestleMania under the TV-14 rating.

WrestleMania XXIV Poster
The Biggest WrestleMania Under the Sun
Featuring: The Big Show, Floyd Mayweather, HHH, Randy Orton, John Cena, Edge, Undertaker and many more!
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 pm

WrestleMania 25 (XXV) Theme I

AC/DC-Shoot To Thrill

WrestleMania 25 (XXV) Theme II

AC/DC- War machine

WrestleMania 25 (XXV) Final Theme

So Hott-Kid Rock

Undertaker's Streak: 17-0

Arguably Undertaker's best WrestleMania encounter, Shawn Michaels proved to be the one of the biggest threats to Undertaker's Streak. This match recieved a 5-star rating from critics due to the length and action of the match. It was named the best match of 2009 and will be remembered for many WrestleMania's to come.

That camera man should totally get his revenge and do a run-in at WrestleMania 28. Undertaker vs Cameraman! 20-1

WrestleMania 25 (XXV) Review

If WrestleMania 25 could be summarized by one word it would be words like "disappointing", "lackluster" or "anticlimactic". The actual wrestling on the show was not bad, but several poor decisions took away from the show. Rather than write a long drawn out rant, I will systematically break down each match and point out the flaws of what killed this show.

To those that don't know there was a Tag Team Unification match on this show. John Morrison and The Miz faced The Colon Brothers in what was described as a very good Tag Team Match. For many years WWE had two Tag Team titles and WWE decided it was time to unifiy them. Many fans were looking forward to this match as both tag teams had a surprising amount of popularity and fans were looking forward to seeing the "revival" of tag teams in the WWE. This match never saw the light of day officially as it became a "dark match". As you can imagine, many fans were pissed as people from all over paid hard earned money to see this match only to not see it. This also showed WWE's interest in the Tag Team Division. WWE had several options on what to make as a dark match and they chose this one. This speaks volumes on the future of the Tag Team Division in the WWE.

MITB match-What I remember the most about 2009 was MVP came off his losing streak on SD! thanks to HHH. MVP was getting mad pops from crowds everywhere. Christian had just returned to WWE as well and was making waves on ECW and everyone wanted him on RAW or SD! A good deal of folks thought MVP or Christian winning MITB was the right move, but instead Punk won. Granted, Punk was a good choice, but it was a very anticlimactic finish at the time. Punk had not been doing that much before that. Punk's win lead to his heel turn and feud with Jeff Hardy which was great, but it doesn't take away from the fact that at this time Punk really had not been doing much.

Diva Battle Royal-So WWE brings back classic Divas like Sunny, Molly Holly, and Torrie Wilson and they don't even bother to introduce them or tell their history to the younger generation of fans? Clusterfuck.

Jericho vs. Legends-So Chris Jericho defeats 4 legends in one night and is then knocked out by an actor? Okkkkkkkk....This match just should have been Jericho/Steamboat which we would get the following month anyway.

Hardies match-This match was fine. No complaints.

IC Title- This was the first time the IC Title had been defended at WrestleMania since WrestleMania X8 and it only gets 21 seconds. This was a pointless segment that could have been saved for a RAW or SD! not a WrestleMania. This segment also showed you the importance of the IC Title. NONE.

Taker vs HBK-This match single-handedly saved WrestleMania 25 AND killed WrestleMania 25 at the same time. It saved this show because this was the first match that actually made you feel like you were watching a WrestleMania. This match made you feel like you were watching something special. This was a great match that will be talked about for years. However, at the same time this match killed the show because there was NOTHING that could follow it. There was nothing on this entire card that could top it. There was not a single match WWE could produce that could top this match. I understand that World Titles are important, but every now and then there are matches that supercede them and this was one of those matches. WWE realized this which is why these two main evented the following Mania.

WHC Match-An average Triple Threat Match that was more about the love triangle between Edge, Big Show and Vickie Guerrero. Cena's presence was unneeded and unnecessary.

WWE Title match-Incredible build. Amazing Story line. Innovative characters. Horrible match. To this day fans still debate on what was more disappointing main event. This match, The Mania IX Main Event, or the Mania 27 Main Event. All three sucked. The following quote was stated by Randy Orton himself. "
Randy Orton later attributed the reaction to the match to the stipulation that if Triple H was disqualified, he lost the championship, stating that the storyline called for Triple H to get retribution, but he wasn't able to get it because "We weren't able to go to the extreme. If anything hurt us, it was that".

Also, Kid Rock gets a 10 min performance? Really? TEN MINUTES? I like Kid Rock too, but damn. He ate up so much time. The Kid Rock segment and the Divas Battle Royal could have gone to the Tag Team match. In conclusion, this WrestleMania had tons of potential, but none of it was lived up to. Very disappointing show. Not the WORST Mania, but its on that top 10 list of worst ones.

WrestleMania 25 (XXV) Poster
The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania
Featuring---A SHITLOAD OF PEOPLE. Sigh, do I have to name them all? Fine -_-
Featuring (in a circular motion from the top going from right to left) Undertaker, Edge, CM Punk, MVP, JBL, Big Show, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, John Cena, Kane, Shawn Michaels, Mark Henry, Chris Jericho, R-Truth, Jeff Hardy, HHH and many more.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:56 am

WrestleMania XXVI Theme I

I Made It-Kevin Rudolf

WrestleMania XXVI Theme II

Be Yourself-Audioslave

WrestleMania XXVI Theme III

Thunderstruck-AC/DC

WrestleMania XXVI Final Theme

The Show-Since October

WrestleMania XXVI Review

WrestleMania 26 was when WWE stopped using Alternative Rock as the main themes and started using more hip-hop beats instead. Some fans like the change, others don't. Whether you do or you don't I'm afraid to say you better get used to it because it seems to be the direction WWE is going in as Mania 27 and 28 also have more hip-hop based themes to compensate the dismissal of more Rock tunes. This WrestleMania was not good or bad in my eyes, but moreso on the "average" rating. This Mania is dismissed and no sold by a good percentage of fans. Its not that this Mania was bad, it was just very "status quo". The Tag Team Titles were able to see WrestleMania light for the first time in years, but the match was horribly short. The IC and US Titles were left out of Mania once again. The MITB match was clustered and rushed and produced the weakest MITB/WHC winner to date in Jack Swagger. That dude was doing nothing for 10 months and then won MITB out of nowhere and all of a sudden we are supposed to accept him as champ? WWE had the opportunity to create a new star in Cody Rhodes or Ted DiBiase, but instead Orton won and went babyface which made no sense at all because he had been using Legacy for months. HHH defeats another young and upcoming guy only to job the next month. HHH needs to swallow his pride and get into the habbit of jobbing more at Mania to young guys. Edge/Jericho had a lackluster match and the crowd sat on their hands the entire time. Jericho won thus demeaning the importance of Rumble winners even more. Cena/Tista had as good as a match that either guy can possibly produce. Punk/Rey was good but absurdly short. The Divas match was a dud like it always is. Hart/McMahon was a dud, and Taker/HBK was great and was the only match I found somewhat entertaining.

Another thing that annoyed me about this show was the fact that a good portion of feuds at this Mania continued. Rey/Punk continued. Cena/Batista continued. HHH/Sheamus contined. Edge/Jericho continued. Mania is supposed to be the conclusion, yet 45% of the matches continued and had better matches after Mania. I'm being negative in this review, but please understand that this Mania was NOT bad. I just personally found the entire card, dry, boring, uninteresting, predictable and status-quo. If you liked this Mania, more power to you. I won't be watching this one again. The only thing about this Mania I liked was the set and Taker/HBK. Everything else I didn't care much for.

Undertaker's Streak: 18-0

It was billed as "The Undertaker's Streak vs Shawn Michaels Career" for WrestleMania XXVI. A rematch was made as Michaels has challenged Undertaker to a rematch at next year's Wrestlemania. However, The Undertaker refused, telling Michaels that he has nothing to prove on him anymore. After Shawn Michaels caused him to lose the World Heavyweight Championship to Chris Jericho inside the Elimination Chamber by hitting him with his signature Sweet Chin Music, The Undertaker changed his mind and accepted the rematch but only if Michaels agreed to putting his career on the line. Michaels did, and two-weeks later it was announced the match could only end by pinfall or submission. Though not reaching the height that their Wrestlemania XXV match did, the added stipulation made this match an automatic classic for any wrestling fan.

WrestleMania XXVI Poster
Get All Fired Up
Featuring: (left to right) Shawn Michaels, Triple H, John Cena, The Undertaker and Batista
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 am

WrestleMania XXVII Theme I

Written in the Stars-Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner

WrestleMania XXVII Theme II

Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)-Shinedown

WrestleMania XXVII Review

Phew. Here we are ladies and gents. Our final review. Well, technically Mania 28 will be our final review, but this is our final Mania review from a retrospective standpoint. Now that I have reviewed every single Mania, I look back at Mania 27 and I believe fans are a tad harsh towards this show. Is the hate justified? Probably. WWE made a lot of errors on this show. Firstly, they knew Cena/Miz was not a main event program so they build the show like it was Cena/Rock instead with Miz being an afterthought. This hurt the WWE Title and the Miz. ADR faced Edge for the WHC in the first match in a losing effort. This would officially demean the credibility and prestige of the WHC, Royal Rumble winners and the SD brand in general. The match was good and turned out to be Edge's last match. Over time, fans will appreciate this match more, but the fact that this match was the curtain jerker will forever stain the reputation of this match. Cody/Mysterio and Orton/Punk were good mid-card matches. Taker/HHH was a nice brawl that got the crowd going and for a time HHH made most believe the streak could possibly end. Cole/Lawler was a dud that should have lasted 30 seconds, but went over 10 minutes. The six man tag was bleh and that pointless 8 man tag meant should have been at a SD taping, not WrestleMania. Bryan/Sheamus was pulled from the card and made a dark match which was then turned into a battle royal. This Mania was full of pointless backstage segments that ate up too much time and made this show feel like a 4 hour RAW instead of a WrestleMania. Miz/Cena had one of the weakest Main Event matches in Mania history. Cena himself said in an interview that he just "didn't have the magic" that night. The crowd knew that Rock would come out and do something so they were just sitting on their hands the entire time.

Overall, the biggest issue of this Mania is the main two programs (Cena/Rock and HHH/Taker) ended up just being filler. We were under the impression both angles would end at Mania 27, but it turns out that this whole show was just filler to the bigger confrontation at Mania 28. Basically, I'm saying this entire show was filler to Mania 28. WrestleMania 2. WrestleMania IX. WrestleMania XI. WrestleMania 13. WrestleMania 15. These WrestleManias were awful. Every now and then though, we have a WrestleMania that is merely used as a prop to the bigger Mania the following year. This happened to WrestleMania 2000 and WrestleMania X8. That's all Mania 27 is. It has the misfortune of being that necessary prop needed for Mania 28 to be hyped up. But was it worth it? Was using Mania 27 as a prop to Mania 28 truly worth the trouble? Guess we'll see this Sunday....

Undertaker's Streak: 19-0

This match was billed as a No Holds Barred match. With both returning Triple H & Undertaker, Triple H challenged The Phenom for the match which he accepted. Triple H would tell the audience why Shawn Michaels could not defeat The Undertaker because of his emotions. Then he would come to the comentator's table at random matches every week & would deliver the Pedigree on the table to whoever superstar enters first & would leave. This would happen for two weeks with he delivering the Pedigree to Sheamus on the first & Ted Dibiase on the second week. At WrestleMania, Deadman would gain the Momentum in the beginning & then Triple H later on. Undertaker would win this match via the Hell's Gates which he locked on Triple H for about a minute. This match didn't reach the heights as the last two WrestleMania matches did but was a great matchup due to the stipulation & the superstars involved.

WrestleMaia XXVII Poster
"The Biggest WrestleMania Ever" (-________-)
Featuring: Rey Mysterio, John Cena, The Undertaker, The Miz, HHH, Randy Orton, The Rock and many more.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 am

WrestleMania 28 has TOO MANY themes, and most of them sound like songs you'd hear at a high school prom, not a WrestleMania....

WrestleMania XXVIII Theme I

Invincible-Machine Gun Kelly ft. Ester Dean

WrestleMania XXVIII Theme II

Wild Ones-Flo Rida ft. Sia

WrestleMania XXVIII Theme III

Good Feeling-Flo Rida

WrestleMania XXVIII Theme IV

Turn Me On-David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj + DL

WrestleMania XXVIII Theme V

"Girl Gone Wild" by Madonna

WrestleMania XXVIII Final Theme

The Memory Remains-Metallica

Undertaker's Streak: 20-0 or 19-1?
Pending....

WrestleMania XXVIII Review
Pending....

WrestleMania XXVIII Poster
"Once in a Lifetime"
Featuring: John Cena & The Rock
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 am

I've been wondering about what they will say for the next 2 Cena-Rock matches at the next 2 WM's or SS's since they keep saying "Once in a lifetime."
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
bountyhunter

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 am

bountyhunter wrote:I've been wondering about what they will say for the next 2 Cena-Rock matches at the next 2 WM's or SS's since they keep saying "Once in a lifetime."

"Once in a Lifetime Rematch"
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:25 am

MarvelousMe wrote:
bountyhunter wrote:I've been wondering about what they will say for the next 2 Cena-Rock matches at the next 2 WM's or SS's since they keep saying "Once in a lifetime."

"Once in a Lifetime Rematch"

LOL. And then a "Once in a lifetime rematch, rematch". Brilliant.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
bountyhunter

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:34 pm

WrestleMania XXVIII Review

I do not agree my co-partners at WeAreProWrestling this time. They were a tad "too generous" with this review. Be that as it may, let's get to our review.

Sheamus/Bryan. I can assure you that no "double standard" exists with me. The Warrior/HTM squash and the Chavo/Kane squash involved lesser titles. I do not expect or approve of any squashes involving World Titles. For the second year in a row, fans paid to see Bryan/Sheamus only to be cheated out of it AGAIN. Fuck this match and fuck Super Sheamus. The fact that Daniel Bryan's name continued to be chanted three matches after this really shows you how much fans cared about Sheamus that night.

Orton/Kane was a pleasant surprise. Its not very often that Orton jobs cleanly. The match was fine and the finish was different as well. No complaints. I found the Daniel Bryan chants during the match quite amusing.

Show/Rhodes was ok. Rhodes has been IC champ for some time and has done next to nothing with the title. Now that he lost, he can move on to better things and Show can be a Triple Crown/Grand Slam. No complaints. Again, Daniel Bryan chants during the match were trolly.

Divas tag. So the Divas champion enters to Eve's music? Ok. Maria must have really been hurting. You could see the uncertainy in her eyes and she produced one of the fakest smiles I've ever seen after the match was over. She was obviously in pain. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Maria. Daniel Bryan chants continued.

Taker/HHH. This was your usual Taker match full of false finishes and brawling. Honestly, I'm tired of Taker as any match he's in is absurdly overrated by the mere nostolgia factor. And what exactly is ths "end of an era" bullshit anyway? Mark Henry, Christain, William Regal, Booker T, Kane to name a few are just some of the older names that are still around. Hell Regal has been around longer than both Taker and HHH. And don't even tell me the end of an era punchline means the end of the Attitude era, because the main figures of those eras are Rock and Austin. Attitude Era ended in 2001 folks. Move on and let it die. This match was fine for what it was, but it dragged too long for me. Especially when HBK was in the corner crying like a little bitch for god knows what. I hope this is the end for both Taker and HHH. I'm tired of them both, let's move on and focus on the newer generation please.

GM Tag-A so-so match. Kinda boring TBH. Filled with too much comedy. It accomplsihed its goals which were to fully solidify Eve as a heel, make Ryder look like a dumbass, and to kill off Teddy Long's reign.

WWE Title match-This match was fine and is getting heat by fans for some reason. The issue that hurt this match was when Johnny decided to add the DQ Title switch stipulation at the last minute. For the first portion of the match, Jericho was trying to get Punk DQ'ed. The second portion of the match Jericho started wrestling normally, and by the final portions it was a mixture of both. It was like they weren't sure what kind of story they were trying to tell and it threw off many fans. The pure wrestling in this match was good, but it was the last minute booking and storytelling that sorta hurts this match.

Rock/Cena-Jesus Christ it took a half hour just for the match to start because of the pointless musical performances. The match itself was kinda dry TBH. Cena used submission holds for half the match while Rock just used simple offense instead of fast paced offense. This match was the complete opposite of what I thought it would be and several botches could be seen from both men. In the end Rock won as I predicted. Cena is in the same position that Rock was in 2003. Cena has done everything he can do. There is nothing left for the man. A loss to Rock could contribute to a change of character and possibly revamp his interests in WWE.

This show was fine. Better than WrestleMania 27, but TBH its not hard to top that show. Well that wraps up this thread for now. When I am able to find a reliable Taker/HHH link, I will also post it here to conclude this thread. See you guys next year at Mania.
MarvelousMe

Previous

Return to General Wrestling