Retro Wrestlemania Review Thread

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Retro Wrestlemania Review Thread

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Over the course of the next month, I will be posting Mania reviews, retro Mania themes and matches involving the Undertaker's streak. Please check periodically, as I will be upgrading this thread every day. This will be done for retro fans of professional wrestling that remember the good times from the 80's/90's and would enjoy seeing it again. This will also be done for the newer fans that aren't aware of these things and have never them before. Hope you guys enjoy it.

P.S-If you haven't already, please subscribe to WeAreProWrestling. Good account with all types of retro reviews.

For most wrestling events, one would judge the overall match quality, storylines and overall buildup to the show to determine the value of it. The first Wrestlemania is the sole exception. This show was the vision and the dream held by the father of Vince McMahon, Vince McMahon Sr. McMahon Sr. would pass away before he could accomplish his dream, but it lived on through his only son. This show introduced colorful characters, distardly villains, musical performances, famous celebrities and thousands upon thousands of fans. McMahon wanted Wrestlemania to feel more like a Sports Entertainment spectacle than an actual wrestling show. For the very first Wrestlemania, you need to put all wrestling stereotypes aside, and just enjoy the show for what it was. The original Wrestlemania is responsible for helping Professional Wrestling go mainstream. If this event was not successful, WWF would have flopped where it stood. Without a doubt, this is the most important event in the history of Professional Wrestling. Wrestlemania I is like a math equation. You can solve the equation on how the wrestling business made it to where it is today, but no matter how you solve it or what patterns you use, you will always come up with the same answer....Wrestlemania I.

Wrestlemania I Theme song-"Easy Lover" by Phillip Bailey and Phil Collins

The Undertaker vs Jimmy SuperFly Snuka WrestleMania 7
"Even though the Undertaker squashed a wrestling legend in less than 5 minutes, this match wasn't viewed as anything special at the time. No one had a clue that this was the start of something special. With Hulk Hogan ending Sgt Slaughter's evil grasp on the title, and the Ultimate Warrior sending Randy Savage into retirement, very few people paid much attention to this match."
Last edited by MarvelousMe on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Voice of the voiceless: CM Punk.
Voiceless of the voice: Y2J
MarvelousMe

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Anyone with over three moves
Favorite Show: WCW Nitro
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Retro Wrestlemania Thread/Taker's Streak

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Wrestlemania II Review

Sometimes in life, imitation is called the highest form of flattery. However, whether or not the said imitation is a success is always up for debate. Many wrestling fans of today have no idea that Wrestlemania 2 was actually a mutli-venue event. That's right, Wrestlemania 2 took place in three different cities at the same time (L.A, New York, Chicago). A few months prior to this the NWA held Starrcade in two different arenas and that worked out fine, but it didn't work out too well for the WWF. This event is acknowledged by many HOF'ers to be one of the worst Wrestlemanias if not the worst one of all time. Piper himself still gets hot to this day whenever this event is mentioned. Piper felt that Wrestlemania should have wrestling matches since the name Wrestle is in the name of the PPV. Piper felt insulted that a boxing match would even be considered on the card. On a positive note, this was the first Mania to ever be live on PPV. So like, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting Piper, don't mention this event or you'll find yourself in a sleeper hold.

The more you know *input rainbow effects*

Wrestlemania II theme

Undertaker's Streak. 2-0

"This was one of the most memorable matches from the Undertaker's Wrestlemania winning streak. It was also one of the best feuds of the Undertaker's career. Jake Roberts has long been known as a master of the microphone. With the Undertaker not being a mic guy at the time, Jake Roberts skillfully carried the entire feud with his brilliant mic work. Undertaker would dominate Jake Roberts in this match. He even withstood the impact of Jake Robert's famous DDT to win the match."

Keep in mind that the DDT was very over back then. Nobody kicked out of the DDT. NOBODY. Jake The Snake Roberts laid out everybody on the roster with the DDT back then. Not even Hogan got out of it. Keep this in mind when watching this match
Last edited by MarvelousMe on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarvelousMe

Re: Retro Wrestlemania Thread

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:21 am

Wrestlemania III Review

While Wrestlemania I would be known as the most important event in wrestling history, Wrestlemania III will forever be the most historcal of the Wrestlemania franchise. Savage/Steamboat, Hart Foundation/Bulldogs, and Hogan/Andre are just three of the many matches on this card that would forever set the bar for what is needed for a show to become successful.

The closing montage at the end of the event also used Aretha Franklin's song "Who's Zooming Who" (which was later replaced by her rendition of "America the Beautiful" in the WWE re-release DVDs).

Official Wrestlemania III song-Unknown Title
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Undertaker's Streak. 3-0

"Undertaker wins this match via disqualification after Giant Gonzales suffocated him with a towel with chloroform that Harvey Wippleman gave him. After the match, The Undertaker came out from the back and attack Gonzales and finishes it with a flying clothesline that took the giant down from his feet."

Yup, Taker won this one by DQ. Yup, I know. WM 9 was pretty bad. Some say its the worst Mania of them all. We'll cross that bridge when we get it later on. Enjoy the match for what its worth. I like outside stadiums. Pretty neat.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Wrestlemania IV Theme

Yeah, the older themes are kinda generic. Just a few drums, guitars and a random announcer saying "WELCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMME TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!"
MarvelousMe

Re: Retro Wrestlemania Review Thread

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 am

Wrestlemania IV Review

Wrestlemania IV is mostly attacked because it had potential to be the one of the best Manias of all time, but ended up becoming an average show at most. The main angle heading into Mania IV was that the WWF Title was vacant, therefore, a tournament was held to determine the new champion. Instead of having the quarter finals at other events, WWF decided to host the entire tournament in one night. A decision that brings much negative feedback to this event to this day. Many fans felt that this event sparked the potential for Savage/Steamboat II, but it didn't happen. We did get Hogan/Andre II, but the finish was very anticlimactic and disappointing. Still, you have to look at the brighter perspective of things and realize that Macho Man Randy Savage stole the show by having four performances all in one night. When you add all of the tournament matches with the under card that was already part of the show, you find yourself with a Wrestlemania card with SIXTEEN matches. No Mania has ever had that many matches before (and probably never will again). Because of the amount of matches on this card, this particular Mania automatically goes in the history books for having the most matches of any other Mania. The bottom line is, this Mania was not about storylines, spectacles, celebrities or anything of the such. The purpose of this Mania was to host a tournament to crown a new champion, and that's exactly what this show did. In the end, this show is a pass, but only because of the commanding presence of Macho Man Randy Savage. Had any other guy recieved his spot that night, this show would have went south more than likely.

Wrestlemania V Theme

Generic Mania themes continue! They got better in time....
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Undertaker's Streak: 4-0

"At the 1995 Royal Rumble, The Million Dollar Corporation (which included King Kong Bundy), stole The Undertaker's signature "Urn" after his match with Irwin R. Schyster. Undertaker looked for revenge at WrestleMania and defeated King Kong Bundy after a flying clothesline, thus, retaining his urn and becoming 4-0."

lol Undertaker's earlier matches really weren't that impressive TBH. Only posting for the fans that have not seen this. Enjoy.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 am

Wrestlemania V Review

Not really a fan of this show. It was a 14 match card full mostly of filler. The entire show was built around Hogan/Savage. On a brighter note, this is arguably Hogan's best match in-ring wise. Warrior/Rude wasn't too bad either. Despite that, the bad outweighs the good here. Forgettable Mania.

Wrestlemania VI, VII & VIII Theme
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 am

Undertaker's Streak 5-0

"Well written storyline behind this match as the Undertaker and Diesel interfered in each other's quest for the WWE Championship."

Many consider this the Undertakers first LEGIT challenge. For the first time at Wrestlemania, the Undertaker faces someone that is just as dangerous as he is. Diesel was a former WWF Champion and dominated 1995 with one of the longest reigns at that point in time. Their feud started because they both wanted a shot at Bret Hart's title, but both Taker and Diesel kept indirectly getting in each others way. The feud ended here at Mania.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am

Wrestlemania VI Review

This show gets a pass overall. Notoriously remembered for the Ultimate Challenge. Champion vs. Champion. In what was dubbed as the Ultimate Challenge, the Intercontinental Champion, The Ultimate Warrior faced the WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan. Champion vs Champion matches are absurdly common nowadays, but back in the Federation era, matches like this were virtually unheard of. This was one of the few times in Hogan's career where he would job CLEAN and put over a new talent. Hogan essentially passed the torch to Warrior here. The undercard for this Mania wasn't too bad either. Enjoyable Mania. Recommended for fans that need a visual of what "passing the torch" means.

Wrestlemania IX 1st theme

Wrestlemania IX 2nd theme
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Undertaker's Streak: 6-0

This was one of the three title matches for the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. He defeats Sid for the WWE Championship with a Tombstone Piledriver after an interferance from Bret Hart

The early portions of 1997 was an absolute mess. Nothing went according to plan. The idea was to have Hart/HBK II for the WWF Title. However HBK "lost his smile" (aka He didn't want to job to Bret) and things went South. Austin and Hart ended up feuding and had their legendary Submission match this same night with the infamous Double Turn. Meanwhile, Sycho Sid suddenly found himself as the WWF Champion and the Undertaker was his challenger. This was Undertaker's first Mania without Paul Bearer. This was also Taker's first title victory at Mania. The match is OK, but you can tell that the New Generation era was slowly dying in favor of the Attitude Era. The amount of run-ins, the commentary, and the finish to this match is ludicrous when you consider its supposed to be a Title Match Main Event.

Wrestlemania VII Review

This Mania had a lot to offer. This Mania provides us with the final appearance of the Hart Foundation and The Rockers because both HBK and Bret would begin their singles careers not too soon after this event. This show also features the Ultimate Warrior in his best match ever against Randy Savage. This show also introduced the Undertaker. Undertaker would have his first match against Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka. Of course, nobody knew at this time that this would be the start of a phenomenon that we now know as the Streak. I didn't care too much for Hogan/Slaughter. I found it counterproductive for him to put over Warrior clean the previous Mania, only to main event the following Mania again. I mean, Hogan pretty much passed the torch. Although according to stories, Warrior was a difficult man to negotiate with so that may have something to do with it. Overall, this show was good. Stands the test of time and is an underrated Mania that deserves more attention. Recommended.

Wrestlemania X-XIV Theme

This is the most recognizable Mania theme for me. Reminds me of my early childhood.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Wrestlemania VIII Review

A good Mania that is looked down for two things. Firstly, the WWF Title match was in the middle of the card. Randy Savage never truly carried the ball in the WWF. The truth of the matter is he was Robin and Hogan was Batman. Savage was always undermined in some fashion by Hogan when it came to Main Eventing in WWF. Flair/Savage was good, but the fact that it was on the middle of the card clearly showed the confidence WWF had on Savage/Flair being a top draw. The second issue was the fact that Hogan main evented the show once again despite not being WWF Champion. The original idea was to have Hogan/Flair, but reasons that are still unknown to this day, that match never happened in WWF, although it would become a big draw in WCW. It was the Hogan era. He was their top guy and is equivalent to what John Cena is today. I don't like it either, but it is what it is. On a positve note, both HBK and Bret Hart would have their first singles matches at this Mania in successful fashion. HBK defeating Tito and Hart defeating Piper. The streak claimed its second victim in Jake The Snake Roberts as well. Last, but not least, the return of the Ultimate Warrior is always great. This show was good overall, its just frowned upon for the undermining of Savage and the lack of the much anticipated Hogan/Flair.

Undertaker's Streak: 7-0

In the first of two matches against Kane at Wrestlemania, the Undertaker wins after delivering three tombstone piledrivers. The fued between these two on-screen brothers began at the 1997 Badd Blood, when Kane cost Undertaker the first ever Hell in a Cell match, against Shawn Michaels. After months of torture, Undertaker finally got his revenge at WrestleMania XIV.

If any visual symbolizes the birth of the Attitude Era (Besides Austin or the Rock) its this match. Kane Tombstoning Pete Rose? Original gothic Kane that was actually scary? Pre-Ministry Taker? Boston crowd? It doesn't get any better than this.

Wrestlemania I Poster. Hulk Hogan and Mr. T posing.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:03 am

Wrestlemania 2 poster. Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:02 am

Wrestlemania III poster-Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant

Wrestlemania IX Review

Wrestlemania IX is notoriously remembered for the politics that took place. HBK was going to drop the IC belt but was able to pull a few strings and change the result. Granted, the match with Tatanka was still great. To fans that are not aware, Tatanka was on an undefeated streak at this time and was pretty over with the fans. His Native American heritage also brought in new legions of fans for the WWF. Why he never got at least one run with the IC Title is a mystery that will never be solved. We also had another good tag match between the Steiner Brothers and the Headshrinkers. These two things are the only saving grace of Mania IX. Everything else is shit. Undertaker claimed his 3rd victim via DQ in a sloppy match with the Great Gonzalez. A bad Perfect/Luger match. A Tag Title match that dragged AND had an unclean finish. This brings us to the Main Event Match. Shit like this is why Hulk Hogan is hated. For the first time in WWF history, we had a Wrestlemania main event where Hulk Hogan was not involved. Rising star Bret "Hitman" Hart would be defending his Title against Yokozuna. After Yoko defeated Hart, Yoko's manager Mr. Fuji issued an open challenge to anybody on the roster. This is where Hogan came out and defeated Yoko in 21 seconds to become WWF Champion thus undermining the new breed Bret Hart, the top heel Yokozuna and the rest of the roster. Apparently, the plan was for Hogan to face Hart in a match where he could "pass the torch" but it never happened because Hogan didn't think Hart was ready. It should be noted that Macho Man Randy Savage was a commentator at this event and was perfectly in good shape to compete but was refrained from doing so for whatever reason. J.R made his Mania debut here as well. This show is pretty bad. Its universally acknowledged as one of the worst Manias of all time. The only thing I liked about this Mania was the setting. Outside environments are always neat. Normally, i would not recommend a bad show, but since this one is so infamous because of it, I recommend this show to any younger fans that have never seen it before. A word of warning to those reading. If you are able blessed enough and fortunate enough to become a booker in a wrestling promotion, please know that if someone compares your work to Wrestlemania IX, it is not a compliment. It is the ULTIMATE INSULT. Remember this.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 am

Wrestlemania IV poster. One night Tournament to determine the new Champion which was vacant. Hogan and Andre were participants in the tournament and were featured here.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Wrestlemania V Poster
"The Mega Powers Explode!"
Hulk Hogan vs. Randy "Macho Man" Savage
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by Longshot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:22 pm

MarvelousMe wrote:Wrestlemania IV poster. One night Tournament to determine the new Champion which was vacant. Hogan and Andre were participants in the tournament and were featured here.

I watched that the other day. People complain about the modern Wrestlemanias but if you watch some of these older ones, there really are a lot of throwaway matches on here and a lot of meaningless celebrity spots. It's kind of how Wrestlemania has always been and how it continues to be in a lot of cases.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:14 am

Longshot wrote:
MarvelousMe wrote:Wrestlemania IV poster. One night Tournament to determine the new Champion which was vacant. Hogan and Andre were participants in the tournament and were featured here.

I watched that the other day. People complain about the modern Wrestlemanias but if you watch some of these older ones, there really are a lot of throwaway matches on here and a lot of meaningless celebrity spots. It's kind of how Wrestlemania has always been and how it continues to be in a lot of cases.

Good points. I'm starting to realize that myself going back watching these older manias again. So many throw away matches that went to a double countout or a DQ...
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:22 am

Wrestlemania X Review

Wrestlemania X is one of the most underrated shows in the history of professional wrestling. It deserves more respect and props from fans, but is largely ignored. First of all, this is the very first Wrestlemania with the absence of Hulk Hogan. With Hulk Hogan no longer a part of the WWF, a new era in WWF had begun. This era is known today as the New Generation Era. This Wrestlemania also gave us the final Mania appearance of Macho Man Randy Savage. The show opened with Bret/Owen which is argubly the best PPV opener of all time. The legendary ladder match between HBK and Ramon also took place here. We had a good mixed tag team match that was better than it should have been and Savage/Crush wasn't too bad either. The show closed with Hart/Yoko like it did the previous year with the only difference being Hart winning with no politics from Hogan. Honestly, the only bad thing I can say about this show is Lex Luger. To this day, I find his booking in WWF perplexing. WWF pushed this guy to the moon and even gave him his own bus line like he was running from President, yet every match he ever had with Yoko always resulted in a DQ. Weird. Luger trolling aside, this is one of the better Manias of all time and deserves more respect from fans. Highly Recommended. If you call yourself a fan of wrestling, you must watch this show at least once.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am

Wrestlemania VI Poster.
The Ultimate Challenge
Champion vs. Champion
The Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Wrestlemania XI-Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z96ZDChayfs&list=UUMc0MjGeBbRkFz0-qk2NLzQ&index=7&feature=plcp

In the defense of the WWF, 1995 was a shitty year in general, but that still doesn't excuse what happened on this show. Just watch the video, it speaks for itself. Vince McMahon clearly wanted a Mania in his backyard and wanted to invoke celebrity involvement to bring mainstream press attention to the WWF at the time. NFL linebacker Lawrence Taylor, Home Improvement's Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Hip Hop Trio Salt-n-Pepa, NYPD's Nicholas Turturro, MLB Umpire Larry Young, Canadian-American showgirl turned model turned actress star Pamela Anderson, American model comedian/actress Jenny McCarthy and several NFL players including Ken Norton Jr., Chris Spielman, Rickey Jackson, Carl Banks, Reggie White, and Steve McMichael were all present and accounted for during this event. To say Wrestlemania XI relied on celebrity involvement is an understatement.

It should be noted that the WWF Title match between Diesel and HBK did NOT Main Event the show. LT/Bam Bam did. So to all fans of present day WWE that are annoyed and irritated at Rock/Cena main eventing Mania 28, this should be the wake up call to remind you that in the past they have had other matches with celebrities put over world titles. Razor/Jarrett was alright even though the finish ruined it. HBK/Diesel was OK as well, but not MOTY worthy. Bam Bam/LT was not too bad either and was alright for what it was. Everything else sucked. You know a show sucked when a Bret Hart match gets a DUD rating. Many fans, spectators, and wrestlers from around the world will tell you that Wrestlemania XI is “the worst Wrestlemania of all time”. Personally, I understand where fans are coming from when they say this show sucked. It did, I’m not defending this show, but you have to also look into the fact that Professional Wrestling at this point in time had little interest in the broad scheme of things. The celebrity involvement from this show gave WWF much needed mainstream attention in the news, media and in Hollywood. The show may have sucked, but it also indirectly gave more exposure. One thing is for certain though. Celebrities aside, mainstream media aside, all bullshit aside, this show was atrocious. I would not call this the worst Mania, but you won’t see me defending this show either.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 am

WrestleMania VII poster
Superstars and Stripes Forever
Sgt. Slaughter vs Hulk Hogan
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 am

WrestleMania XII Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHARQqeqhL8&list=UUMc0MjGeBbRkFz0-qk2NLzQ&index=7&feature=plcp

WrestleMania XII was the first Mania I watched live as a kid (the others were through VHS tapes) Mania 12 was alright actually. Its mainly remembered for the Iron Man match between Hart/HBK, but the undercard was decent as well. Camp Cornette and Team Yoko had a good six man tag opener. Steve Austin debuted as the Ringmaster and started his feud with Savio Vega. Undertaker had his first legit challenge against Big Daddy Cool Diesel and is one of the better big man matches in wrestling. The infamous HHH squash occurred when the Ultimate Warrior came back and killed HHH. If your curious as to why HHH got buried simply google "MSG Incident". Razor Ramon was supposed to face Goldust but got suspended due to drug charges so Piper took his spot. To be honest, I'm not too fond of the ironman match between Hart and HBK. 60 mins is just too long to keep my attention with just two guys. The Royal Rumble with over 30 competitors is one thing, but 60 mins on two guys? No. Can't do it. I loved the 30 min Iron man matches that Kurt Angle and HBK had or the ones AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels have had, but 60 mins is just too long IMO. Regardless, this match set the bar on what an Ironman match should be like. Mania 12 is a good show. Worth the watch.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 pm

WrestleMania VIII Poster
Friendship Torn Apart! / The Macho/Flair Affair!
Randy "Macho Man" Savage vs. the Nature Boy Ric Flair for the WWF Championship
also featured
Hulk Hogan vs. Sid Justice
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:24 am

WrestleMania IX Poster
An Event of Epic Proportions
Featuring WWF Champion Bret Hart
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:47 am

WrestleMania 13 Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRpwu4ne ... ature=plcp

The odd thing about this Mania is the Mania before it was great and the Mania after this one was great. This Mania is the odd awkward second child that is not as privileged as the first or as talented as the third. The main issue was HBK. This was before he became a born again Christian. He was an asshole. The original plan was for HBK to face Hart again in a rematch from the previous Mania. HBK refused to job and put over Hart, so he "lost his smile" and gave the impression that he had a knee injury. An injury that Hart says to this day was "faked" by HBK. Because of this, nothing went according to plan. The card itself wasn't very good. A dud tag match. The Rock's Mania debut with the IC Title was also pretty meh. Everything else on the undercard was filler. The Chicago Street fight with Ahmed and LOD against the Nation is a good underrated brawl. Taker/Sid dragged and was pretty boring TBH. The only thing of note is this is Taker's first Title win at Mania. This show is only remembered for one thing and that's Austin/Hart. This infamous submission match sparked the "Double Turn" and is stated by many to be the best Wrestling match period. Overall, skip this show. Not worth the watch, however its a right of passage for any fan who calls himself/herself a fan of wrestling to watch Austin/Hart at least once.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:48 am

WrestleMania XIV Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRgSda5J1k&feature=BFa&list=UUMc0MjGeBbRkFz0-qk2NLzQ&lf=plcp

Its funny. When I was growing up, my mother always told me when you experience something good you won't have much to say about it. Its not that its not worth talking about, its just that there isn't much you can say that hasn't been said already. WrestleMania XIV is the offiical birth of the Attitude Era. This show was entertaining from top to bottom. Everything, from every every section of Pro Wrestling is covered in this card. The Tag Team Battle Royal displayed the vast amounts of tag teams that existed at that point in time and the Road Warriors got the big nostalgia pop. Taka/Aguila officially introduced the Lightweight/Cruiserweight Division into the WWF and had a good match that exposed that style of wrestling to the mainstream fans and gave Lucha fans a reason to watch WWF. Owen/HHH and Rock/Shamrock had decent mid-card matches to fill time. The results of both matches did their individual jobs. It put more heat on HHH and Rock as heels and put more stock investment in Owen and Shamrock to finally become champs. We had a good mixed gender tag match that gave the women's division something to do and an awesome hardcore Tag Team Match where Mick Foley obtained the Triple Crown of Tag Titles. Taker/Kane was rated low by Meltzer for some reason, but Meltzer can go eat a dick for all I care because he's overrated and says nothing but "I DONT KNOW" in his interviews anyway. Lastly, despite the fact that HBK was nearly a cripple, he still put on a good match with Austin and the exposure that Mike Tyson gave this show also put more momentum in the WWF. Stone Cold walked out that night as Champion while HBK would leave never to return to in-ring action for another four years. If you need to know three things about WrestleMania XIV, know these:

1) The Death of the New Generation era and the Official birth place of the Attitude Era
2) The Rise of Austin 3:16
3) The turn around of the Monday Night Wars

Good Mania. One of the best ones. Not THE BEST, but its up there. Recommended.

WrestleMania X Poster
Ten Years in the Making!
The death of the Hogan Era and the rise of the New Generation Era
WWF Champion Yokozuna takes on two challenges in Lex Luger and Bret hart. Also featured, Razor Ramon and HBK battle to determine the true IC Champion in a ladder match.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Undertaker's Streak 8-0

This is a Hell in a Cell match, also the first one in a WrestleMania. Undertaker gets the win after a Tombstone Piledriver. Afterwards, the Brood (Gangrel, Edge, and Christian) help the Undertaker hang the Big Bossman from the ceiling

Russo booking at its finest.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by Longshot » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 pm

MarvelousMe wrote:Undertaker's Streak 8-0

This is a Hell in a Cell match, also the first one in a WrestleMania. Undertaker gets the win after a Tombstone Piledriver. Afterwards, the Brood (Gangrel, Edge, and Christian) help the Undertaker hang the Big Bossman from the ceiling

Russo booking at its finest.

It sounds so sarcastic, but I remember seeing this and being like "Holy fuck!" It really was Russo doing his best work.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:17 am

WrestleMania XV Theme

WrestleMania XV Review

Unfornuately, this WrestleMania is a prime example that the Attitude Era can be a tad overrated at times. This was not a good show. Full of Duds, lackluster matches and Disqualifications from top to bottom. The only good matches worth watching are Shane McMahon/X-Pac and the first encounter between Austin/Rock. For someone that never received any official training, Shane McMahon was pretty good in the ring. I do recommend Rock/Austin. It was a good brawl. Otherwise, skip this show.

WrestleMania XI Poster
MarvelousMe

Next

Return to General Wrestling