UFC 144 Discussion Thread

Come hug some Dana nuts.

UFC 144 Discussion Thread

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 am

UFC 144 went down last night, my coverage of it has been minimal because of my uncle being hospitalized but I got a chance to watch it today.

Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs. Issei Tamura
I expected Zhang to get this one, I've seen Tamura before and he did nothing to impress me so I didn't expect him to pose many problems for him but it only took one good punch to have Zhang completely unconscious.

Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso
There was plenty of controversy over this fight, I didn't see it -- Mizugaki was given Cariaso because they wanted violence and expected him to beat on a C-level dude but either Cariaso is greatly improved of Mizugaki was terrible, either way I thought Cariaso took it 29-28.

Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
I've joked in the past about Cantwell calling him Cant-do-anything-well or Cant-win but seriously, he has to go now right? Fukuda didn't look great either, it was a pretty dull fight to be honest but Fukuda got the job done.

Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee
I love Kid, at one stage he was the best 45er in the world but it's time to retire -- He doesn't train, he doesn't eat well, he just isn't dedicated right now and it showed, Vaughn Lee is a bad fighter with no striking game and he hurt Yamamoto on the feet and tapped him.

Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
I love the Fireball Kid, hes a cornerstone of my childhood but he looked horrible in the first round getting beat up by a guy who isn't even UFC caliber and if given an extra minute he probably would've got tapped with the mounted triangle but Gomi came back in the second and took over, once Mitsuoka got hit he was on dream street, Gomi still has power but he just isn't the same guy anymore that blasted Shooto and became the star of Prides Bushido series.

Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon
I was impressed with Pettis here, I spoke with Pettis before his fight and he was motivated, I think he really came in to make a statement and he did here -- I expected Lauzon to win early, gas then Pettis take over but Pettis just took the reigns early, felt him out then leveled him with a head kick to probably get the next shot at Benderson.

Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
This fight was awesome, Okami came in looking better than ever using his jab effectively and picking Boetsch apart for 10 minutes, by the end of the second round he was really in survival mode trying not to get killed by Okami but in the third the advice from Matt Hume paid off when he landed a head kick, put him on dream street, chased him down and KO'd him in one of the best comebacks in UFC hitsory, not the best as Rogan said.

I think Edgar & Silva both jumped out of their seat and shouted at their television set when they heard that line.

Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
This fight was a lot closer than the judges would have you think, I actually scored it a draw giving Sexyama round 1, a 10-10 second and the final frame clearly for Shields but in fairness Sexyama should've been deducted a point from Goddard because three fence grabs in the third is too many, but Shields got the job done even though Akiyama looks 500x better as a welterweight.

That being said, he's had 5 fights in the UFC and the only one he won I thought he lost a clear 29-28 so I think Akiyama should get his walking papers.

Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo
Why did Kongo choose to strike with Mark Hunt? I mean it was clear that this dude has minimal ground game but can knock your teeth out, instead of looking for a takedown he tried to stand and paid for it, what a career turnaround for Mark Hunt.

Catchweight (211 lb) bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
Rampage came in overweight and out of shape and he paid for it, Bader is a talented, well-rounded guy who will always be fringe top 10 but he put a real beat down on Rampage tiring him out and just beating him up for most of the fight outside of the slam attempt.

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Ben Henderson
Awesome fight, I scored it in favor of Edgar 48-47 but I had no issues with the decision because it was razor thin -- I had the first and third rounds for Edgar, the second and fourth for Henderson and it came down to that final frame and I thought Edgar was a little more active, landing better shots and using great counter strikes.

I would expect these two to lock horns once again in the future, let's do it Gracie rules, no time limit, go until we have a winner :)
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Return to UFC