2012 US MOTYC review thread

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Re: 2012 US MOTYC review thread

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm

It's times like these I wish we had the Thanks button back. But we don't, so Thank You. Now on to Evolve.

Listed: Chuck Taylor and Rich Swann vs Player Uno and Stupefied Evolve 10 1/14/12

This was a lot of fun. It is not deep or anything but the match has a lot of color to it that prevent it from being bland. There was a little bit of contrived spots and no selling from the SSB, but I dug Ronin and the spots were spaced out just right. #16.

Listed: Chuck Taylor vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Samuray Del Sol Elimination Evolve 11 4/13/12

Another Evolve match I really liked. The match was kind of part Samuray showcase and part regular match with Taylor/Gargano. Samuray did his spots really well and I look forward to seeing him again. Gargano was great with the back selling and was hitting on all cylinders. Taylor’s back work was a little dry and the match could have ended a sequence sooner, but Gargano and Samuray impressed me enough. #12.

Watched: Low-Ki vs El Generico Evolve 11 4/13/12

Pretty much the good match you expect from these two. The lack of story and weird ending prevent this from being on the list however.

Listed: Fit Finlay vs. Sami Callihan Evolve 11 4/13/12

This was a good old violent Finlay match. Especially the shoot headbutt that busted Sami open. I loved the defiance of Sami and his selling of the beatdown. I don’t know if it is a MOTYC. It was a little back and forth, and I feel like they could have scaled back a little in the final stretch. The finish was really great though. #6.
http://jmanwrestlingenterprisereviews.blogspot.com
Because someone has to review matches outside the WWE. Currently doing ROH.
jman9

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Watched: Fit Finlay vs. Jon Davis Evolve 12 5/11/12

Really long mat contest with a lack of highlights. I like Finlay and all, but I want to see him beat the shit out of people and not have 20 minutes of mat wrestling with Davis. Finlay was great in selling the arm while Davis was good at points, but then didn’t really sell the leg down the stretch. Still, too fucking long.

Watched: Johnny Gargano & Samuray Del Sol vs. Chuck Taylor & Silas Young Evolve 12 5/11/12

Pretty nothing match with a lot of no selling from Silas. No.

Watched: El Generico vs. Ricochet Evolve 12 5/11/12

It took a while, but it got good by the end. Not bad, but it was directionless for the most part.

Listed: Sami Callihan vs. AR Fox Evolve 12 5/11/12

It’s not super awesome, but there was enough cool stuff in this. It did feel back and forth at points and the stipulation of traditional wrestling in ring and street fight out of ring was kind of hokey. Either be all street fight or no street fight. It would probably be wise to rewatch it, but I don’t think it will stay on the list long anyway. #18.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Samuray Del Sol vs. Jigsaw vs. Ricochet: Evolve 13 5/12/12

Decent 4 way spotfest. They did a story where they worked Fox’s arm over, but it ended up being filler in the end.

Listed: Jon Davis vs. Low Ki Evolve 13 5/12/12

Great Ki performance. Jon was OK, but Ki had some great sells, bumps, and striking in this one. I think this had enough moments to be listable for the time being. #20.

Listed: El Generico vs. Sami Callihan Evolve 13 5/12/12

I dug this. I liked the Mexican standoff leading to the first pin and Sami’s attempts to get Generico counted out. Plus, Generico was great selling the injured leg during the home stretch. It is just too bad it was back and forth at points, but again, another Evolve match that is barely listable. #18.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. AR Fox Evolve 13 5/12/12

It was OK. Pretty much your finisher overkill main event. Didn’t really have any direction to it to make it special or anything.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Watched: Masato Yoshino vs. Naruki Doi DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 1/27/12

Meh. You had decent selling from Doi in the early going, but the beginning just seemed to crawl at a snail’s pace. Then you had the end run where no one sold shit and people were getting back on offense way too quickly. Why even bother having a long finishing run if it is not going to mean anything in the end anyway.

Listed: AR Fox vs. Sami Callihan Tables Match DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 1/27/12

Mother of fuck was this disgusting… in a great way. OK, there may be a slight possibility this is the “Under 10 minute” MOTY. Fox has some great spots, but Sami just treats him like a piece of trash all match not even making an attempt to put Fox through a table and electing to throw the table and chair at him. Fox dies a couple times in the match, like the tope miss where he lands stomach first on the guard rail, the back body drop into the guardrail, and a POWERBOMB on the guardrail. It is a little back and forth at points, but it around 7 minutes and a really memorable 7 minutes at that. #7.

Watched: Akira Tozawa vs. PAC DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 1/27/12

Akira was fun when he started to bleed, but PAC lacks fire and charisma to add anything to the match besides his spots. It doesn’t help that the first 7 minutes could have been cut, and it still has the annoying no selling finishing run you come to expect.

Watched: Ricochet & CIMA vs. Masaaki Mochizuki & Jimmy Susumu DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 1/27/12

Well this wouldn’t fucking end. Pretty much everything was going slow and had a lot of overkill with no selling. Hell no.

Watched: Akira Tozawa vs. Masaaki Mochizuki DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 3/30/12

Decent for about a third of it. Akira’s arm was worked over and Mochi’s neck was worked over. Then the usual DG no selling bullshit happened and couldn’t bother to care anymore.

Watched: PAC vs. Low Ki DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 3/30/12

Disappointing. PAC controlled most of the match and it just ended up dragging. Ki got some good shots in, but this should have been better.

Honorable Mention: Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet & Masato Yoshino DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 3/30/12

Without question the best match on the show. Didn’t really have the issues that most DG matches have and kept a great pace. Still, some stuff wasn’t executed well and you have a little booking in it. Not top 20, but I will give it an honorable mention.

Watched: El Generico vs. CIMA vs. Rich Swann vs. Chuck Taylor vs. Samurai Del Sol vs. Lince Dorado DGUSA Mercury Rising 3/31/12

Good match. I dug Chuck picking his spots and just generally being a thorn in the side of all his opponents and then paying for it later on. Some good stuff, but not enough to be listable.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Masato Yoshino DGUSA Mercury Rising 3/31/12

It looked like they were going in the right direction with the dueling armwork, but Yoshino sucked in selling and working the arm over and Gargano was only average on both those counts. If Gargano had a better opponent I could see this working, but it just ends being good at most.

Listed: Masaaki Mochizuki, PAC, and Ricochet vs. Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk, & Low Ki DGUSA Mercury Rising 3/31/12

This was fun. They smartly let Ricochet take the beating and let PAC be out of it for most of the match. Tozawa and Hulk were better then I thought and Ki did his thing well. Not a high ranker, but I dug it. #19.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Watched: Kenny King, Rhett Titus, & TJ Perkins vs. Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, & Mike Mondo ROH Border Wars 5/12/12

Kind of sucked through most of it, but got good by the end. The first 2/3rds were not interesting enough.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH Border Wars 5/12/12

Good match. You had all the seconds take good bumps for Lethal and the match was kept pretty short. The selling was non existent and prevents me from giving it any love.

Watched: Davey Richards vs. Kevin Steen ROH Border Wars 5/12/12

Every bit as shitty as you expect. Thank god this fucking reign is over.

Listed: Adam Cole vs Kyle O’Reilly Hybrid Fighting Rules ROH Best in the World 2012 6/24/12

Probably the ROH MOTY so far. Striking in the beginning wasn’t much, but they established a legwork vs. armwork story so it was ok. Eventually, Cole has his teeth knocked out and then it gets pretty awesome from there. #9.

Listed: Davey Richards vs. Kevin Steen Anything Goes ROH Best in the World 2012 6/24/12

For reasons I cannot comprehend, I liked this. Richards faux MMA crap actually looked better then usual and I liked him slowly turning crazy when he can’t put Steen away. I also find it hilarious that Cornette is turning ROH into a Russorific direction. Still I liked this way more then I should have and will temporarily list it at #18.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Watched: CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan WWE Raw 2/27/12

Someone was really hitting the bong when WWE thought this was the 23rd greatest RAW match of all time. The commercial breaks and the Teddy/Ace drama really butchered the match. It’s still these two, but they still haven’t figured out yet.

Watched: Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe TNA Destination X 7/8/12

Same old Angle formula match.

Listed: AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels Last Man Standing TNA Destination X 7/8/12

Sweet match. This was just two people hitting some great strikes on one another with a plunder or an exciting spot in between. Sadly, Tenay’s wooden announcing takes this down a little, but it’s too good not to include. #10.

Watched: Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode TNA Destination X 7/8/12

Great moment for Aries, but only a good match. The first third felt like filler, and the second third had Aries getting is ribs worked over, but surprisingly no sold in the end. It got fun in the end with Roode trying to cheat when he couldn’t beat him, but it will only be remembered for Aries victory.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. Bravado Brothers ROH Unity 4/28/12

The Young Bucks helped make this a good match. If the Bravado Brothers had more convincing offense, I would have liked it more. But there finishing offense came off as offense you see in the beginning of a match and I just wasn’t feeling it.

Watched: El Generico & BJ Whitmer vs. Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs No DQ ROH Unity 4/28/12

Disappointing. The two biggest feuds in ROH history didn’t really live up to my expectations. Considering what they have done over the years, this felt like a major step down.

Watched: Jay Lethal, Adam Cole & TJ Perkins vs. Fire Ant, Soldier Ant & Green Ant ROH Unity 4/28/12

Good trios match. Lost its momentum in the end and the finish blew.

Watched: Briscoes vs. Jigsaw & Hallowicked ROH Unity 4/28/12

I think they wanted it to be a big deal, but it took way too long for me to care until Chikara and ROH members came out. Some fun moments and that’s it.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:19 am

Listed: Rich Swann vs. Sami Callihan CZW An Excellent Adventure 1/14/12

Yeah, I think I can safely say that Callihan is running away with wrestler of the year right now. Just everything looks like it hurts like a mother fucker. Swann took the ass beating like a man. I can’t really say there was a story per se, although Swann was fine selling the leg. I dug this more then Calihan/Generico so this is on the list. #18.

Honorable Mention: Sami Callihan vs. DJ Hyde Ultraviolent Rules CZW 13th Anniversary Show 2/11/12

And Callihan carries another match. If Hyde was as good of a seller as Swann, I could see listing this (yes, I know he is a heavyweight). But alas, it is just another great Sami performance.

Honorable Mention: Adam Cole vs. MASADA CZW Arial Assault 3/10/12

Pretty damn good match. The selling was spectacular from both wrestlers. I dug the deathmatch guy wrestling the match straight and doing a good job targeting the leg even busting out an Indian death lock. I don’t think it is listable, but it is a neat little novelty.

Listed: Greg Excellent vs. Mia Yim Tables, Ladders, and Chairs CZW Arial Assault 3/10/12

On paper, this should have not worked and yet it ended up being another strong match from CZW. I give Greg credit because he did the right amount of selling to make Mia look great. Mia performance was really gutsy because Greg didn’t hold back on anything. There was a pause in the action on a back suplex through the table where Greg may have hurt his head and Mia lifting Greg was a bit farfetched, but this is a match people should see and is the feel good match of the year. #17.

Watched: Sami Callihan vs. Alex Colon CZW Best of the Best XI 4/14/12

Finally a CZW match that doesn’t work for me. This one is more of a 6 minute sprint, which is fine, but the strikes were not in full effect here.

Watched: Sami Callihan vs. AR Fox CZW Best of the Best XI 4/14/12

I wanted to love this more, but it was still good. Sami goes after the ear and is pretty nasty. Both were tired in the tournament and didn’t have as much steam to put on the match they are capable of. No, barely.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Watched: Wrestling’s Greatest Tag Team vs. House Of Truth ROH on SBG 1/7/12

Well I almost got a Trojan installed for this match. Shelton has taped up ribs and Shelton doesn’t sell the taped ribs. Guess where this goes.

Watched: Davey Richards & Kyle O’Reilly vs. Cedric Alexander & Caprice Coleman ROH on SBG 1/28/12

Pretty good sprint. If the selling was better then I probably could see myself listing it, but it is just a match that is better then it has the right to be.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Roderick Strong 2/3 Falls ROH Rising Above 2012 4/29/12

The first fall was fun and amusing, but the other two were just directionless and boring.

Watched: Davey Richards vs. Adam Cole ROH Rising Above 2012 4/29/12

Better then most Davey matches just because his kicks seemed to be more on then usual. But like most Davey matches, the match went a few sequences farther then it needed to.

Listed: El Generico vs. Samuray Del Sol Evolve 14 6/28/12

Well, for whatever reason, I can’t see the Fox/Fish match so I am going to see this.

Really fun match. It felt like one of those veteran vs young gun deals where Samuray has some incredible spots and Generico being flabbergasted by it. They did a good job in spacing out there spots so it didn’t have that feel of back and forth in it. The middle wasn’t as good as I wanted it to be, but I feel this match is worthy of praise. #18.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Jon Davis Evolve 15 6/29/12

Good big vs little match. Davis has some fun power offense and Fox takes a good ass beating. It went too long in my opinion in the end when they started to no sell moves. Trim that fat off and I would at least give it an honorable mention.

Watched: El Generico vs. Samuray Del Sol Evolve 15 6/29/12

It was good, not great. Kind of the same idea as last match, but with Samuray finding an answer to everything. The spots didn’t wow me as much like last match, but it was fine.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Chuck Taylor Evolve 15 6/29/12

It was good I guess, but there match in April when it was a 3 way was such a better match. Gargano still brought the great back selling, but Taylor doesn’t really belong at the top of the card.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:30 am

Keep up the good work jman. It's almost hard to believe that Cena/Brock is still at the top of the list at this point.

Here's a hot link back to the list if anyone needed it. Jman has been updating the first post as he goes:

topic3795.html#p36579
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:31 pm

I've been debating this for a while, but I may do a rewatch of the top 20 matches when I have watched everything, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Tony Nese Evolve 16 6/30/12

Pretty no selly honestly. I guess this was suppose to be more of a showcase for Tony to see what he can do against the ace. It was fine for what it was.

Watched: Bobby Fish vs. Jon Davis Evolve 16 6/30/12

Same problems as last match. I dug Davis more in this match then Fish. Fish’s stuff screams generic to me and his strikes were not that great.

Watched: Christian vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Santino Marella vs. Sin Cara vs. Tensai vs. Tyson Kidd Ladder Match WWE Money in the Bank 7/15/12

Far from perfect, but this had its moments. The pace was good, but there were moments of no selling between Cody/Dolph, and there were some botches in this match. I think there have been cleaner ladder matches over the years that I can safely leave this off.

Watched: CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan No DQ WWE Money in the Bank 7/15/12

I’m finding the same issues with this as with there other matches; way to back and forth with some no selling in between. Comparing this to the Daniels/Styles LMS, the striking in the LMS was better and the spots were more memorable in a match that was 18 minutes. The striking was good here, didn’t really have that stand out moment until the end, went 27 minutes, and kind of wore out its welcome. I mean all there matches in there feud were good, but it felt like they were rushing to the next spot at times. Maybe the roles need to be reversed with Punk as a heel and Bryan as face because I feel those are the roles that they are better in. This feud was a big disappointment.

Listed: Chris Jericho vs. John Cena vs. Kane vs. The Big Show vs. The Miz Ladder Match WWE Money in the Bank 7/15/12

I thought this was the better MITB match. Everybody busted ass in this and I loved how they took Show out and buried him in ladders. The spots were simpler, but every bit as brutal. The pace was fast, everything made sense, and there were no botches. This may be just me, but I think this is really underrated. Sure, they don’t take the risky spots that the Smackdown one did, but the spots were just as brutal and memorable was more smartly laid out match. #15.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Watched: Antonio Cesaro vs. Richie Steamboat 20 minute Ironman Match FCW 4/8/12

Pretty boring. I like Claudio and all, but using the throw Richie out of the ring strategy was not the best way to spend 20 minutes.

Honorable Mention: Kassius Ohno vs. Seth Rollins FCW 4/29/12

Really good storyless match. Usual awesome striking you expect from Hero, and Black looked like he has improved although my memory is a little foggy. It did get back and forth in the end with the finishers which prevents this from going top 20. There were enough moments however to give this an honorable mention.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins FCW 6/24/12

Good match. It was one of those storyline deals where Dean separated his shoulder on a superlpex and does a great job selling it and then gets desperate and goes after Rollins leg. It needed another moment, a better crowd, and cutting a little time to make me list it. There just something missing to this.

Watched: William Regal vs. Dean Ambrose FCW 7/15/12

In a way, this feels incomplete. Regal’s arm and finger manipulation was the best and made the first part of it rule. Dean didn’t really sell the arm as much as I would have liked, but then it leads to him going after Regal’s ear. And then the match ends and the angle kicks in. I didn’t like the execution of the angle as others did, because it didn’t have that danger element to it. Replace the angle with an actual last third and it may have been a MOTYC. As is, it was great Regal performance, but only a good match.
jman9

PostPosted by XfreehueyX » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 am

From what I've seen of your reviews, for the most part i tend to agree with you, but I think your being way to nit picky about Bryan/Punk matches.
XfreehueyX

PostPosted by Longshot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 am

XfreehueyX wrote:From what I've seen of your reviews, for the most part i tend to agree with you, but I think your being way to nit picky about Bryan/Punk matches.

You kind of have to be nitpicky on this sort of thing. They have like 12 matches (hyperbole, but whatever) against each other and the ones that really stand out the most are the ones that you want to include.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Good just isn't going to cut it in MOTY lists.

Watched: Peter Avalon, DEMUS 316, Ray Rosas & Joey Ryan vs. Cedric Alexander, B-Boy, Candice LeRae & Mascarita Dorada PWG Kurt Russellreunion 3 1/29/12

Good fun match. The minis were the highlight of the match being all fluid and spectacular. The other performances and comedy were fine I guess, but not blowaway great or anything.

Watched: CIMA & Ricochet vs. RockNES Monsters PWG Kurt Russellreunion 3 1/29/12

Meh. Good at points, but it had no business going as long as it did.

Watched: Fightin’ Taylor Boys vs RockNES Monsters PWG DDT 2012 4/21/12

I thought it was good. I was more impressed with the Taylor Boys then the Monsters because there stuff just seemed to come off better. However, there were some botches in it that prevent it from reaching the next level.

Watched: El Generico and Willie Mack vs RockNES Monsters PWG DDT 2012 4/21/12

It was fine. These matches are all good, but one doesn’t deviate that much from the other at times and are mostly storyless except that Mack and Generico vs Callihan and Strong match.

Watched: B-Boy vs Famous B PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12

Perfectly fine carry job by B-Boy. Really slow in the beginning because Famous B seemed hesitant, but he eventually did his spots and the crowd ate it up and survived some painful moves. Fine for what it was.

Honorable Mention: Kevin Steen vs Brian Cage-Taylor PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12

This was viscerally entertaining. Typical crazy Steen performance with him interacting with the crowd while also putting over Brian. The final lariat and crucifix were perfect for the finish. The match may not have looked like a title match and the outcome wasn’t in doubt, but I enjoyed the ride.

Listed: Super Smash Brothers vs. Young Bucks No DQ PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12

This was nuts. Total spotfest garbage brawl and a really fun one at that. Especially, some of the chair throws that hit Stupified. Some spots probably could have came off better at points, but this at the bottom level of possible top 20 candidates. #17.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Willie Mack PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12

Good power match. Neither person’s performance was outstanding enough to put this over the top, but it was a nice change of pace.

Honorable Mention: El Generico vs. Ricochet PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12

Very good match, but probably went a couple sequences too far. The match had a lot of disdain between the two and were really laying in the shots on each other. Scale back a little, and I could have seen this being top 20.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:58 am

Watched: Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Fire Ant & Soldier Ant vs. Tim Donst, Jakob Hammermeier, Obariyon & Kodama Chikara Caught in the Spider’s Den 2/26/12

Good match. Typical fun Chikara multi man match. An ending is sacrificed for the big angle. Probably would have been better to give the rudos there win, but what are you going to do.

Watched: Wrestling’s Greatest Tag Team vs. The All-Night Express ROH Best in the World 2012 6/24/12

Oh God, the worst. Man do the WGTT suck now.

Watched: CM Punk vs. Kane vs. Daniel Bryan WWE No Way Out 6/17/12

It was good. Too restholdy to be anything but that.

Watched: Chris Jericho vs. Sheamus WWE Smackdown 7/13/12

It was a good Sheamus brawl that eventually turned into a nauseating Jericho unnecessary overkill fest. Bad Jericho in full effect here.

Watched: Christian vs. The Miz WWE Smackdown 7/27/12

It was fine, but way more back and forth then you would think.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:04 am

Watched: Dasher Hatfield vs El Generico Chikara The Foggiest Notion 6/23/12

Decent. Mostly a showcase for Dasher going into his match with Eddie Kingston. The effort wasn’t there to make this special.

Watched: Scott “Jagged” Parker & Shane Matthews vs. Harlem Bravado & Lancelot Bravado Chikara The Foggiest Notion 6/23/12

Bleh.

Watched: El Generico, Gran Akuma, Scott “Jagged” Parker & Shane Matthews vs. Icarus, Chuck Taylor, Johnny Gargano & Ophidian Chikara Smack in the Middle 6/24/12

Good match. FIST were fun, but probably needed some better technicos (minus Generico) to get the absolute best.

Watched: Eddie Kingston vs. Dasher Hatfield Chikara Smack in the Middle 6/24/12

It was good, but like a lot of Eddie’s matches it was lacking in substance. It was your usual main event with a lot of finishers.

Watched: Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Hallowicked & UltraMantis Black vs. Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, Antonio Thomas & Romeo Roselli Chikara The Great Escape 7/28/12

The comedy was fine, but they just seemed to be out of sync for most of the match. Wished it was better.

Watched: Eddie Kingston vs. Sara Del Rey Chikara The Great Escape 7/28/12

This does not make me forget the Excellent/Yim match. It was too obvious at points that Eddie was holding back, which I understand, and I wasn’t really digging how the match was structured.

Watched: Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson vs. Dasher Hatfield & Mark Angelosetti Chikara Give ‘Em The Axe 7/29/12

Good, because of the Young Bucks. The Throwbacks are not doing anything for me. They feel kind of incomplete and rough around the edges.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:32 am

Honorable Mention: AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe Ladder Match TNA Hardcore Justice 8/12/12

This was a very good spotfest although barely. 75% of the wrestlers I like and Angle did well in following directions. Everybody bumped and ate there offense like champs. The Raw MITB match felt like a better version of this however with a better story, spots, and flow to it.

Watched: Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode TNA Hardcore Justice 8/12/12

I say slightly better then last month but still not great. Has a better beginning with Roode trying to slow down the match although Roode’s control section on the mid section was kind of dry. Aries, like last month, doesn’t sell it. The finish has ref bumps and a pretty stupid double pin which is then restarted which leads to a belt shot in front of the ref. The finish was not really the best way to end a feud.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels TNA Impact 8/16/12

This is Styles/Daniels by the numbers which means it is always good. But between the LMS happening, the storyline behind this blowing, and this match not really having a story, I can’t really say beyond doubt that I would definitely recommend this.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:53 am

Watching AJ/Daniels matches nowadays just isn't the same as it used to be. It isn't so much that the matches aren't good, but rather that I have seen these guys wrestle almost every match available and it just gets kind of repetitive after a while.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 am

Well, that's with all matchups that happen too much. I do wish they would all be as good as Styles/Daniels

Watched: Chris Jericho vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Summerslam 8/19/12

Meh. I didn’t really care for Jericho’s selling and the booking was wrong in every way.

Watched: CM Punk vs. John Cena vs. The Big Show WWE Summerslam 8/19/12

This was a good Big Show match. This was all about Show dominating the match and Cena and Punk bumping there asses off for him. The ending with the double submission and restart felt unnecessary. It also didn’t feel like Show sustained enough offense to be down for the count.

Honorable Mention: Brock Lesner vs HHH WWE Summerslam 8/19/12

God this is a tough one. I mean Lesnar was just outstanding in the match if you can ignore him trying to lock on the kimura a little fast after taking damage at points. His stomach selling was incredible and his attempts to attack the arm and lock the kimura on were great. HHH could have sold the arm better, but at the same time he didn’t really use it. Not really the spectacle like Cena/Lesnar, but a smart match with a good story. Probably the 5th best WWE match this year, but not top 20.

Watched: Austin Aries & Kenny King vs. Bobby Roode & Zema Ion TNA Impact 8/2/12

It was fine, but Roode’s heeling was what made that match that way. The match was mostly control sections and a 30 second end run.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle TNA Impact 8/9/12

Pretty much like every Angle match ever.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs ROH 10th Anniversary Show 3/4/12

It was fine, but I wasn’t really digging Jacobs performance. He seemed to not sell Kevin’s strikes. He was also taking slams on the guardrail and powerbombs on the apron and taking back control to easily. I appreciate it not being near fall heavy, but didn’t do it for me.

Watched: Eddie Edwards vs. Davey Richards ROH on SBG 6/9/12

Surprisingly good. Richards does a good job in working over the arm by stealing from the Nigel McGuinness playbook and Edwards does about as good of a job selling it in an overly long Davey match. The ending had both the Jerry Lynn roll up sequence and the Angle submission trading which means it is getting left off.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs. Roderick Strong PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12

Good match. I want to HM it, but I felt it needed better back selling from TJP. Still a pretty crisp match.

Watched: Brian Cage vs. Eddie Edwards PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12

It was good, but I was way more impressed with the last match.

Listed: Kevin Steen vs. Willie Mack PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12

This was a pretty crazy fat boy slugfest. Steen is still the same deranged piece of shit who targets the back and Willie sells his ass off for it. The sick bumps that these two take brings this to the next level. Even the ref bump and the run in are even crazy. I can’t imagine how the main event will turn out after this match. #17.

Watched: B-Boy vs. Drake Younger PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12

This was…something. Yeah there were great strikes and spots, but the wrestling in the beginning looked really bad at points and the match was wrestled at a really slow pace. The fighting spirit wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but kicking out of two Drake’s landings was ridiculous.

Honorable Mention: Sami Callihan vs. Michael Elgin PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12

This is everything the last match was, but way better. It helps that these two know how to hit each other really hard, pace the match properly, and sell the damage. The lack of a story prevents this from being top 20.

Honorable Mention: Super Smash Bros. vs. Future Shock vs. The Young Bucks Three-Way Ladder Match PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12

This was as crazy as the reports indicated, yet I’m not exactly sure it was better then the Guerrilla Warfare match at DTABM. There were spots that I really liked, and there were spots that could have been cut or done better. I mean it sounds like I’m down on it, but I feel like there were enough moments to give this a rewatch. It’s just that I don’t see this as a top 20 match. Honorable Mention for now.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 am

Watched: Ricochet vs. Yamato DGUSA Untouchable 2012 7/28/12

Barely good. I’ll give Yamato credit for actually having a story to the match. It’s too bad Ricochet didn’t make any attempt to sell the leg.

Watched: AR Fox & CIMA vs. El Generico & Samuray del Sol DGUSA Untouchable 2012 7/28/12

This match got better the further it went along. The finishing stretch was fun although this match needed a hotter crowd. If the control sections weren’t so long, slow, and pointless, it would have definitely helped the crowd heat.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Akira Tozawa DGUSA Untouchable 2012 7/28/12

God damn that sucked. Stupid fighting spirit, pointless interference, and finisher overkill is not what I want in my wrestling. Was that too negative? Fine, Akira’s arm selling was actually good.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Chuck Taylor I Quit Match DGUSA Enter the Dragon 2012 7/29/12

It has its moments, but it was too long and didn’t really have that intensity the whole way through. It didn’t help that the crowd wasn’t into it for most of it and the production values and the venue didn’t lend itself well to a match of this magnitude.

Watched: El Generico vs. Akira Tozawa DGUSA Enter the Dragon 2012 7/29/12

Good match, but kind of a hypocritical match. Christina Von Eerie is a ballbuster all match to Generico and he is distracted. But she doesn’t really serve as any type of equalizer in the end and Tozawa wins clean. So the CVE stuff was only there to fill the middle which I really didn’t care for in the first place. Better then Gargano/Taylor.

Watched: Ricochet & Rich Swann vs. CIMA & AR Fox DGUSA Enter the Dragon 2012 7/29/12

The match was alright, but the crowd sucked ass. I guess I can’t blame them at points because they are not giving me a reason to care about the middle of these types of matches.
Last edited by jman9 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:44 am

Just a reminder for anyone following along with this thread (I am) that here is jman's list as it stands right now:

jman9 wrote:1. Brock Lesnar vs John Cena WWE Extreme Rules 4/29/12
2. Austin Aries vs. Bully Ray TNA Sacrifice 5/13/12
3. Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan 2/3 falls WWE Extreme Rules 4/29/12
4. Christopher Daniels and Kazarian vs AJ Styles and Kurt Angle TNA Slammiversary 2012 6/10/12
5. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus WWE Smackdown 5/4/12
6. Fit Finlay vs. Sami Callihan Evolve 11 4/13/12
7. AR Fox vs. Sami Callihan Tables Match DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 1/27/12
8. Green Ant vs. Mike Quackenbush Chikara The Thirteenth Hat 1/28/12
9. Adam Cole vs Kyle O’Reilly Hybrid Fighting Rules ROH Best in the World 2012 6/24/12
10. AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels Last Man Standing TNA Destination X 7/8/12
11. Gran Akuma vs. Icarus Ladder Match Chikara Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur 6/2/12
12. El Generico vs. Kevin Steen Last Man Standing ROH Showdown in the Sun - Day One 3/30/12
13. El Generico and Willie Mack vs. Sami Callihan and Roderick Strong PWG DDT 2012 4/21/12
14. AJ Styles vs. Bobby Roode TNA Impact 5/24/12
15. Chris Jericho vs. John Cena vs. Kane vs. The Big Show vs. The Miz Ladder Match WWE Money in the Bank 7/15/12
16. Greg Excellent vs. Mia Yim Tables, Ladders, and Chairs CZW Arial Assault 3/10/12
17. Kevin Steen vs. Willie Mack PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12
18. Super Smash Brothers vs. Young Bucks No DQ PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12
19. Chuck Taylor vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Samuray Del Sol Elimination Evolve 11 4/13/12
20. Johnny Goodtime and Johnny Yuma vs. Player Uno and Stupefied vs. Matt and Nick Jackson PWG World’s Finest 3/17/12

Honourable Mention
Rich Swann vs. Sami Callihan CZW An Excellent Adventure 1/14/12
Chuck Taylor and Rich Swann vs Player Uno and Stupefied Evolve 10 1/14/12
Sami Callihan vs. DJ Hyde Ultraviolent Rules CZW 13th Anniversary Show 2/11/12
Eddie Edwards vs. Roderick Strong No Holds Barred ROH Rise and Prove 2/17/12
Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet & Masato Yoshino DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 3/30/12
Masaaki Mochizuki, PAC, and Ricochet vs. Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk, & Low Ki DGUSA Mercury Rising 3/31/12
Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin ROH Showdown in the Sun – Day Two 3/31/12
Eddie Kingston vs. Kevin Steen Chikara Hot Off the Griddle 4/28/12
Kassius Ohno vs. Seth Rollins FCW 4/29/12
Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk Street Fight WWE Extreme Rules 4/29/12
Sami Callihan vs. AR Fox Evolve 12 5/11/12
Jon Davis vs. Low Ki Evolve 13 5/12/12
El Generico vs. Sami Callihan Evolve 13 5/12/12
Kevin Steen vs Brian Cage-Taylor PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12
El Generico vs. Ricochet PWG Death to All But Metal 5/25/12
Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe TNA Slammiversary 2012 6/10/12
Davey Richards vs. Kevin Steen Anything Goes ROH Best in the World 2012 6/24/12
El Generico vs. Samuray Del Sol Evolve 14 6/28/12
Sami Callihan vs. Michael Elgin PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12
Super Smash Bros. vs. Future Shock vs. The Young Bucks Three-Way Ladder Match PWG Threemendous III 7/21/12
AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe Ladder Match TNA Hardcore Justice 8/12/12
Brock Lesner vs HHH WWE Summerslam 8/19/12
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:32 am

Thanks Longshot.

Honorable Mention: Eddie Edwards vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH Live Strong 6/30/12

This was some very good stuff. No story or anything, but they were really laying in the shots on each other and this is a better use of my time then anything from DGUSA. Really made Ciampa look like he belong there.

Watched: Rhino & Michael Elgin vs Briscoes ROH Live Strong 6/30/12

This was good stuff. Never thought I see Rhino in ROH, but he fits pretty well with Elgin and the House of Truth. Sadly it has to follow the last match which felt more listworthy then this one. Still worth seeing.

Kevin Steen vs Roderick Strong ROH Live Strong 6/30/12

Yeah I’m pretty sure this is the 3rd best match of the three. Still good but kind of lacking substance beside the usual “chop the post” deal.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Silas Young ROH Brew City Beatdown 7/14/12

Another good match. This was all about making Silas into a man who should be on the ROH roster and Elgin did a hell of a job of making him look good. Silas was fine, but Elgin really made this as good as it was. Needed a story to bring it over the top.

Listed: Jay & Mark Briscoe vs Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs ROH Brew City Beatdown 7/14/12

This is going to be really tough to rate. This was a regular match which ended on a countout and then was turned into an anything goes match. First part is solid, the CO and restart were fine, and the little time the final part gets is nuts. Just the whole package with Corino’s commentary put a smile on my face. Ironically, I was going to watch the Boston Street Fight between the Briscoes and Steenerico. This probably won’t be as good as that, but this was fun. #19.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 am

Watched: Drake Younger vs Sami Callihan 1 Hour Ultraviolent Iron Man Match CZW New Heights 7/8/12

This will be a polarizing match for a lot of people. As far as 60+ minute matches go, you should at least see it once and then move on with your lives. Both wrestlers do blast each other really hard in this, but your opinion of this match will be determined by Drake’s selling. I mean it is the nature of the beast with deathmatch wrestlers not named Necro Butcher. Sami knows how to sell and time his offense, Drake will wake up from his nap and take back control and not sell any exhaustion. I think what breaks this for me is a lack of a story. I can live with that in other Sami matches when the matches are shorter, but in a match this long I just don’t see the point. Verdict- good match, but not essential viewing.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:14 am

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Eddie Kingston Anything Goes ROH Boiling Point 8/11/12

I really liked Eddie in this match, yet I kind of feel unfulfilled about this match as a whole. The Chikara match had psychology in it, and this one was based on table spots and ridiculous kickouts like the backdrop driver through the table. I mean Eddie did great selling the powerbomb through the upside down table and the stretchering stuff was better then I thought, but this felt pretty by-the-number to me.

Watched: Colt Cabana vs Mike Quackenbush Chikara Shoot A Crooked Arrow 8/17/12

Good match. The match was more about milking holds then being a mat clinic. It had a little story with one going after the back and the other going after the arm. The selling was fine, but it wasn’t long enough to mean anything.

Watched: The Colony & 3.0 vs F.I.S.T. & Ophidian Chikara The Ring of Wax 8/18/12

Another good match. Your usual Chikara, but the comedy went a bit over the line with one of the 3.0 members eating the invisable hand grenade from Taylor. It is not that comedy doesn’t belong in a match, but you don’t want to be the turning point of the match or go over the line of implausibility. This did both.

Watched: ACH vs. Mark Angelosetti Chikara The Ring of Wax 8/18/12

I liked it, but I think they could have trimmed some fat. The control section didn’t really have a purpose and the “go long” football sequence didn’t really belong there. It got exciting in the homestretch, but overkilly. Chikara fans will love it, I thought it was good, but I’ve seen better matches this year.

Watched: Chavo Guerrero & Hernandez vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian TNA Impact 9/6/12

Good match, but I feel like these two teams have a great match in them. Chavo and Hernandez worked really well together, but do need a little more seasoning to be in that upper echelon. The finish took a bit too long to set up and that pretty much sealed its fate on the outside.

Watched: Sonjay Dutt vs. Zema Ion TNA No Surrender 9/9/12

It was good until the end. Sonjay had some good hurricanrana and armdrag combinations in this. Maybe he is going through one of his good periods right now. Zema trying to be Jimmy Rave and is not really doing a good job at it.

Watched: Christopher Daniels & Kazarian vs. Kurt Angle & AJ Styles TNA No Surrender 9/9/12

Not as great as there match in June. The match went longer, but it had the type of stuff that I didn’t want in this matchup like Angle being FIP. It also didn’t have the execution or the crowd heat in the first half of the match. It was also a little overkilly and I can’t even pin that on Kurt.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:29 am

Watched: Sonjay Dutt vs. Zema Ion TNA No Surrender 9/9/12

It was good until the end. Sonjay had some good hurricanrana and armdrag combinations in this. Maybe he is going through one of his good periods right now. Zema trying to be Jimmy Rave and is not really doing a good job at it.

Zema doesn't have the charisma to be Rave. Jimmy Rave can make a crowd hate him by just walking to the ring. To be fair, I'm just not a big Zema Ion fan.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:42 am

Rave was in a ROH, a company which didn't really have a strong heel at that point. With Zema, he is in a company where Bully Ray is tearing it up when it comes to being a heel.

Watched: Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston vs. R-Truth vs. The Miz WWE Elimination Chamber 2/19/12

It was good, but it felt like there was a bit too much dead time at points. A lot of big bumps from Kofi and Ziggler which must have really sucked. I feel like I have seen better over the years honestly.

Watched: Cody Rhodes vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Santino Marella vs. The Big Show vs. The Great Khali vs. Wade Barrett WWE Elimination Chamber 2/19/12

It was really good…in the second half of the match. Show was in the unenviable situation of being the workhorse in the group because Khali and Santino were your other two face options. They made about as good of a situation as they could have got.

Honorable Mention: Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger vs. Kofi Kingston & R-Truth WWE Over the Limit 5/20/12

I am going to get hell for this, but this was so much better then the Punk/Bryan match later in the show. This was as perfect of a storyless WWE formula tag that I have seen in a while. Everybody played there roles correctly, everybody was super crisp, and it didn’t overstay its welcome. Of course there is a ceiling to this in that it didn’t go to levels of “Holy shit that was incredible”, but I never thought a match with these four midcarders would be as good as it was. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:38 am

jman9 wrote:Rave was in a ROH, a company which didn't really have a strong heel at that point. With Zema, he is in a company where Bully Ray is tearing it up when it comes to being a heel.

It's a fair point, but I just don't see Zema and think to myself "God, what an asshole!" The crowd doesn't hate him the way they hated Jimmy Rave. It was like a special treat for them to berate Rave.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 am

I don't feel that I have enough of a sample size one way or the other on Zema. I guess as a means of making Sonjay look good, it did its job. I think he would be a guy who would work better in tags.

I still can't get over the fact that I liked that tag match at Over the Limit. Just lightning in a bottle right there. And I only have 8 WWE matches on the enitire list with HMs.
jman9

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Well the NWO main event could get an add I'm assuming
SHADE 45

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 pm

The main event of No Way Out was Cena vs Big Show in a Steel Cage. I just want to confirm from you Shade that that is the match you were talking about.
jman9

PreviousNext

Return to General Wrestling