2012 US MOTYC review thread

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Re: 2012 US MOTYC review thread

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:11 am

I meant Night of Champions
SHADE 45

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by jman9 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:10 am

That is definitely happening soon.
http://jmanwrestlingenterprisereviews.blogspot.com
Because someone has to review matches outside the WWE. Currently doing ROH.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 am

Watched: Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Sin Cara vs. The Miz WWE Night of Champions 9/16/12

Good 4 way. The stuff with the mask didn’t really belong in there although Miz hitting the SCF with the mask blinding him made him look great.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Dolph Ziggler WWE Night of Champions 9/16/12

Long in the tooth. It got really good in the end with Randy trying to find different ways of getting his signature spots, but it just seemed too slow at points.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus WWE Night of Champions 9/16/12

For such a good story, the match felt pedestrian. This was pretty much Brouge kick vs arm work. Both sold those parts of the story well, but the work and the crowd felt uninspired to me. This is about as good as this feud can get.

Honorable Mention: CM Punk vs John Cena WWE Night of Champions 9/16/12

I liked this, but this it not going to make me forget there 2011 encounters. It has a lot of nice moments and a great sense of urgency later in the match, but yet something is missing from it. There really wasn’t a problem that was smacking me in the face, but it did feel like at points that Punk was stalling too much and didn’t really seem to have a strategy. I think I need to see this again just to see if I am missing something. I will leave it off temporarily for now and watch it later. But not tomorrow, because I’m watching King of Trios. Sorry Shade.
Last edited by jman9 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Watched: Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Manami Toyota vs Soldier Ant, combatANT, and deviANT Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 1 9/14/12

Good match. The three wrestlers that you want to see (Quack, Jigsaw, and Soldier Ant), were awesome. Manami is no longer in her prime and the swarm do nothing for me. I think I will see better in the tournament.

Watched: Mr. Touchdown, Dasher Hatfield & Matt Classic vs. Commando Bolshoi, Tsubasa Kuragaki & Kaori Yoneyama Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 1 9/14/12

Fun match, maybe even good. It was all about making the JWP crew look really good. Bolshoi and Kuragaki looked like they could hang. Yoneyama is the size of a Cabbage Patch Kid, but works as a FIP. It accomplished what it set out to do, it just isn’t listable.

Watched: 123 Kid, Tatanka, & Aldo Montoya vs. Jerry Lynn, Tommy Dreamer, & 2 Cold Scorpio Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 1 9/14/12

Meh. I mean the OGs were fine, but they don’t necessarily elicit great wrestling. The slow motion stuff was the best part although not really belonging in the main event.

Watched: Commando Bolshoi, Tsubasa Kuragaki & Kaori Yoneyama vs F.I.S.T. Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 2 9/15/12

It got really fun down the stretch, but it took a while to get going. I’ve seen matches on night 1 that were better.

Watched: Fire Ant & Green Ant vs. Ebessan & Takoyakida Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 2 9/15/12

Comedy match. Good for what it was, but you could probably look up all the good moments on youtube.

Honorable Mention: Manami Toyota, Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw vs Meiko Satomura, Dash Chisako & Sendai Sachiko Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 2 9/15/12

Very good match. Not perfect, but I was really loving Jigsaw/Quack/Toyota. They controlled most of it and were really on there game. Sendai was fine, but it felt like they were not aware of trying to break up the pins at times. Still liked enough of it to give it a HM.

Watched: Jerry Lynn, Too Cold Scorpio & Tommy Dreamer vs The Young Bucks & Mike Bennett Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 2 9/15/12

Good. I kind of dug the old school vs new school high flyers facing off. The remote spot a minute before the finish was ridiculous considering he gained no advantage what so ever from it.

Honorable Mention: Eddie Kingston vs. Tadasuke Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 2 9/15/12

This is one of those “less is more” matches and a very good one at that. I lot of the stuff is simple in the early going, but everything is executed, sold, and timed well. Especially Eddie’s selling which was just sublime. Do I think it is a top 20 match…no. I don’t think it had enough highlights and the crowd was not as hot as it could have been. It still should be checked out though.

Watched: Mike Bennett and The Young Bucks vs. Dash Chisako, Meiko Satomura, and Sendai Sachiko Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 3 9/16/12

Good little sprint. This had an aura of implausibility at points which just prevents me from going all in on this.

Watched: Frightmare, Hallowicked, and Ultramantis Black vs Chuck Taylor, Icarus, and Johnny Gargano Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 3 9/16/12

For a match that made as much sense as it did, I kept thinking it should have been better. It just didn’t feel like the best FIST performance out there.

Watched: Colt Cabana, Swamp Monster, Darkness Crabtree & Yohnel Sanders vs. 3.0, Ebessan & Takoyakida Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 3 9/16/12

Comedy MOTY. I won’t spoil anything, but just watch it for the pure ridiculousness of it.

Honorable Mention: Commando Boishoi & Tsubasa Kuragaki vs. Kaori Yoneyama & Manami Toyota Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 3 9/16/12

Really fun showcase. They just cut the BS and just threw bombs at one another. Most definitely a spotfest with the selling not really being a high priority although not terrible. I may be overrating this, but it is one of the better spotfests I’ve seen this year.

Listed: Mike Bennett and The Young Bucks vs Frightmare, Hallowicked, and Ultramantis Black Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 3 9/16/12

On first view I really liked it. Frightmare did an outstanding job of selling the knee and milking the hot tag. The craziness down the stretch with the ballyhoo and storytelling elements really put this on the next tier. Just the really fun finishing puts this just above the Gargano/Taylor/Del Sol match. #20.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:47 am

As a whole, how did this year's King of Trios compare to previous years?
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by jman9 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 am

This is my first whole KOT experience. I think my only KOT experience before this was the Team Uppercut vs Masters of 1000 holds match from 09. And I've seen a good amount of Chikara.

Night 1 was ok. Nights 2 and 3 were Chikara's best shows this year.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:13 am

After giving this alot of thought, I'm putting Cena/Punk as an Honorable Mention. This is enough good stuff in it to be very good, but it kind of overstays its welcome, got overkilly, and the selling wasn't that great down the stretch.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Watched: Sami Callihan and Pinkie Sanchez vs The Scene Evolve 17 9/8/12

It was fine for the short amount of time it got. I thought the roles should have been reversed with Sami and Pinkie with Pinkie being the FIP.

Watched: Rich Swann, Player Uno, and Stupefied vs. Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak, and Orange Cassidy Evolve 17 9/8/12

Well, that was interesting. The Gentleman’s Club comes off as a comedy act to me without any of the legitimacy to make me care. FIST I could buy, these three, no.

Watched: AR Fox v. Ricochet Evolve 17 9/8/12

Good match. Lacked that standout moment to bring it to that next level but it was a nice match.

Honorable Mention: El Generico vs. Samuray del Sol Evolve 17 9/8/12

Every bit as good as there first match and maybe better if the crowd was hotter in the first half. Just good story, spots being done crisply, and proper timing between moves. HM.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH 10th Anniversary Show 3/4/12

Too slow and methodical in the beginning. It got good in the end but it was too late at that point.

Watched: Eddie Edwards vs. Kevin Steen ROH Showdown in the Sun Day Two 3/31/12

Good until the weak finish. The setup was weak and no one bought that as the finish.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Roderick Strong ROH Showdown in the Sun Day Two 3/31/12

Better then the Ciampa match but still lacked any direction. At least you got the great chopping from these two, but I wanted just a little bit more.

Watched: Eddie Edwards vs. Homicide ROH Best in the World 2012 6/24/12

I liked this for Eddie’s arm selling. Homicide’s always a wrestler I’ve been wishy washy on the past because of his selling. The striking exchanges weren’t great enough for me to go all in on it.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:02 am

Watched: Masada vs. El Generico CZW Down with the Sickness 9/8/12

It had some good stuff like Generico trying to get the chair out of the ring from Masada, but it never felt like it reached that next level like other Generico matches usually do.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Dave Crist Ladder Match CZW Down with the Sickness 9/8/12

Spotfest. Sure the spots were great, but there was no selling to it and they were busy setting up the next spot too much of the time. It just didn’t feel like there was a rhyme or reason to any of the spots.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 am

Watched: AJ Styles & Mr. Anderson vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian TNA Victory Road 2012 3/18/12

This was the Styles/Daniels show. I think this puts into perspective how much of a miracle the June tag was with Angle replacing Anderson.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs. Sting TNA Victory Road 2012 3/18/12

Dog shit.

Watched: Christopher Daniels & Kazarian vs. Magnus & Samoa Joe TNA Sacrifice 5/13/12

Good. Not enough moments to put it at that next level, but Joe and Magnus are a better team then AJ and Anderson.

Watched: Kenny King vs. Mason Andrews vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Zema Ion Ultimate X TNA Destination X 7/8/12

Good match. It had your usual dangerous stuff but wasn’t long enough to be great.
jman9

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:08 am

What's the over/under on matches from that NJPW show making the top 20? I haven't seen it but apparently everyone loved everything
SHADE 45

PostPosted by Longshot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:37 am

It's US MOTYC so I would say that none of them will make it.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Longshot wrote:It's US MOTYC so I would say that none of them will make it.

Ding Ding Ding.

I just would like to keep my USA seperate from my Japan and seperate from my Mexico and ect.

I know you are probably talking about the NJPW show with the Minoru Suzuki vs Hiroshi Tanahashi main event. Meltzer apparently called this better then Flair vs Steamboat which I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 am

Watched: AR Fox vs. Alex Colon CZW Tangled Web 5 8/11/12

This was a match that sucked in the first half and ruled in the second half. Everything felt weak and pointless in the first half, but then they break out the highspots in the second half and almost became listworthy. But this seriously needed the first half to be cut in order to be in consideration.

Watched: Roderick Strong vs. Drake Younger PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 1 9/1/12

This was really damn good. These two just cut the bullshit and chopped the hell out of each other. On the other hand, like the Strong/Perkins match, it lacks story. Also, I don’t think these two wrestlers are great enough sellers to put that match over the top. I will say it is a way better use of Younger then the B-Boy match. Slight no.

Honorable Mention: Ricochet vs. Kevin Steen PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 1 9/1/12

This was very frickin good. Ricochet being a dick in the beginning during the shoulder tackle spots and paying for it with a powerbomb was awesome. The match continued to build logically from there. I don’t know if I’ll rewatch it, but this was a barrel of fun and should be watched. HM.

Watched: Sami Callihan vs. Willie Mack PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 1 9/1/12

Good match, but I thought they had a better one in them. It had its moments, but it didn’t really step into that next gear. There are times where you feel the magic is there, but it just wasn’t here.

Honorable Mention: El Generico vs. Adam Cole PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 1 9/1/12

Man, I so want to throw this on the list just for Steen’s commentary. This one was unique to all the other matches because you had Cole who was a defacto heel and was pretty awesome in general. The match had no story and I would have liked the ending more if Cole sold the damage he took, but Steen’s commentary is making me love this more then I should. HM.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Davey Richards PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 1 9/1/12

Comparing this to there ROH match, I don’t think it was as good. Elgin’s performance wasn’t as good and Davey is just as aggravating as you remember him. I was also getting a case of déjà vu when watching this.

Honorable Mention: Adam Cole vs. Eddie Edwards PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 2 9/2/12

This was storyless, but a ton of fun. This had its comedy moments, but it has the usual crispness of these two and Cole being full time heel here gives these matches something more interesting to work with. HM again.

Watched: Brian Cage vs. Michael Elgin PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 2 9/2/12

This didn’t do it for me. I was expecting the power spots to be more impressive then they actually were and the striking wasn’t there.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly, Davey Richards, & Joey Ryan vs. B-Boy, Willie Mack, & Drake Younger PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 2 9/2/12

Filler comedy match. Davey was kind of funny I guess.

Honorable Mention: Michael Elgin vs. Ricochet PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 2 9/2/12

Good strength vs speed match. Each provided a good share of those spots. Although not blowaway great, the story is enough to put it on the list.

Watched: Brian Cage & Matt & Nick Jackson vs. El Generico, Rick Knox, & Kevin Steen PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 2 9/2/12

Not getting the hype for this. Knox is usually a referee so him not hitting everything cleanly makes sense. The problem was that the first half dragged. Wouldn’t be a problem if the second half was great, but it was good at best so no love from me.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Michael Elgin PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2012 Night 2 9/2/12

Good final. Not anything deep or anything, just two wrestlers emptying the tanks to put the other away. It did its job, its just not a great match.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Watched: Roderick Strong vs Eddie Edwards ROH on SBG 3/3/12

It was ok, but it didn’t need to go as long as it did. There wasn’t a story there to justify it.

Honorable Mention: Roderick Strong vs. Mike Mondo ROH Boiling Point 8/11/12

This is on the line here. They just beat the hell out of each other and was generally a lot of fun. Strong did carry this match though with his beatdown of Mondo although Mondo did have some great headbutts. Mondo’s offenese does feel WWE level at times compared to Strong. With that said there was enough good stuff to put it on the list. HM.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Tommaso Ciampa 2/3 falls ROH Boiling Point 8/11/12

They made the best out of a match where Ciampa was injured in the beginning. Still, the same issues from the feud apply here. It has its moments, but it never reaches the next level.

Honorable Mention: Jay Lethal vs Adam Page ROH Caged Hostility 9/8/12

And this is the second ROH opener of the day I really liked. Page really came off as a wrestler of the future. He was every bit as good as Lethal was in that match. It also helped that Lethal brought some nice pieces of offense to the table and making Page look like a million bucks. Not a super match, but I was not expecting this to be as good as it was. HM.

Watched: Bravado Bros. vs Cedric Alexander and Caprice Coleman ROH Caged Hostility 9/8/12

I think this may have been the Bravados best performance at this point. Did a great job of going after the arm of Caprice (I think). And yet it was not sold at all. A damn shame because it was a good match, but when you do a story, it has to not come off as an afterthought.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Kyle O´Reilly ROH Caged Hostility 9/8/12

Good match, but I wasn’t crazy about Kyle’s performance. His strikes can be weak at times and his facial expressions can be really bad. Slightly better crowd would have pushed it over the top, but I can’t love every match.

Watched: SCUM vs Briscoes & Rhett Titus Cage Match ROH Caged Hostility 9/8/12

Good match, but I wasn’t feeling it as much as others. I thought the match didn’t have any room to it. Like I wanted more crowd brawling in the beginning. In the cage I thought it was too tight in there. I feel like I should be liking this more. Maybe I can rewatch it later.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:59 am

I'm interested to see where Show/Sheamus from Hell in a Cell falls. Or if it makes the list at all.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:50 am

May possibly do that in the next two days.

Watched: Jeff Hardy vs. Kurt Angle TNA Impact 8/30/12

Unnecessarily overkilly again.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs. James Storm TNA Bound for Glory 10/14/12

Good match with a great Storm bladejob. Sadly, some of the spots came off weaker then I would have liked and they didn’t put the pedal to the metal when it came to being hate filled. The ending kind of bugged me with the thumbtacks spot and Roode getting back on offense so fast to do the beer bottle spot. It just didn’t seem like a natural transition. This just doesn’t touch the Harris/Storm Texas Death Match or even Styles/Daniels from this year.

Honorable Mention: AJ Styles & Kurt Angle vs. Chavo Guerrero & Hernandez vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian TNA Bound for Glory 10/14/12

Very good spotfest, barely. Angle was only a little annoying and the rest put in really good performances. There is this really scary botch where Kaz tries to huricanrana Hernandez off the apron, but doesn’t get caught and lands with a thud. Not great, but I would recommend it. HM.

Honorable Mention: Austin Aries vs. Jeff Hardy TNA Bound for Glory 10/14/12

This was really good stuff. I liked the early chipiness between these two and Aries stalling trying to get him off his game. Of course it moved away from that, but Aries was really great in controlling Hardy. Definitely the best use of Aries during his reign. Decent Hardy performance, but Aries made this match as good as it was. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Watched: Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz WWE Main Event 10/17/12

I dug this, yet I don’t think I could go all the way with it. Both put in fine performances, I just didn’t think the later two parts of the match were as great as the first part. It’s still good, it’s just not next level.

Honorable Mention: Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Raw 10/22/12

So much lunatic bumping. Bryan went after Dolph’s leg for a bit while Dolph was sort of doing his thing, but adding crazier bumps then usual. Thankfully, the leg work wasn’t pushed down our throats. But yeah, the bumping gets this recommended.

Honorable Mention: Alberto Del Rio vs. Randy Orton WWE Hell in the Cell 10/28/12

This was a pretty superb Del Rio performance. Del Rio did some of his best arm work yet and was great in selling it. Outside of his selling, Orton’s striking looked weak at points and there was an obvious miscommunication spot with Del Rio going to the top. Eventually, the finish happens and it gets on my list because of it.

Watched: Sheamus vs. The Big Show WWE Hell in the Cell 10/28/12

This feels like a match I should be loving more, but I’m just not. I got the story of Show dominating him and making Sheamus his bitch, but it leads to Show controlling the match which is fine, but is nothing special. It gets really good in the end, but I’m not crazy into it like others.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:28 am

Their was that very definite botch in the Orton/Del Rio match, but that finish was so cool.

I really liked the Sheamus/Show match, I thought it started a bit slow, but as it picked up steam I couldn't tell for the life of me how it could end. My mind was blown when Show kicked out of the Brogue Kick. It was a match that actually made me suspend disbelief and general wrestling cynicism, which is what I liked so much about it.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:46 pm

The problem is that I saw a better version of this match called Lesnar/Cena. Cena got his ass handed him and sold it better then Sheamus. And Lesnar was such a better monster in every way then the Big Show. Show/Sheamus is good, but fuck.

Watched: BJ Whitmer & Rhett Titus vs. Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin ROH Glory by Honor XI 10/13/12

It was ok. I mean that’s better then the usual WGTT matches.

Watched: Davey Richards vs. Jay Lethal ROH Glory by Honor XI 10/13/12

Too many selling issues and way too much overkill for a midcard match.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Eddie Edwards ROH Glory by Honor XI 10/13/12

I didn’t like the majority of it until the apron DDT where Eddie was hurting which made him more of an underdog. There match in PWG is so better because Cole is more charismatic and the comedy was memorable.

Watched: Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Steve Corino ROH Glory by Honor XI 10/13/12

It was fine. Too many better Briscoes matches however.

Honorable Mention: Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin ROH Glory by Honor XI 10/13/12

I really liked this a bunch although I think time could have been cut from it. It’s pretty fat dude vs beefy strong dude beating the hell out of each other and doing a great job selling the damage. I do think there was a point where they could have took it at around the 20 minute mark where the heat hit its apex. I feel like the Steen/Mack match was a better version of this match, but this is still very good in its own right. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Rhino Anything Goes ROH Death Before Dishonor X 9/15/12

It was ok. They built the match around Steen avoiding the gore which was fine, but they really didn’t do the best job in filling the short time they had.

Watched: Masada vs. Joe Gacy Fans Bring The Weapons Match CZW Redemption 9/22/12

It was good parts and not so much in others. I would prefer if they punch and uppercut each other in the face then trying to do spots around the firecrackers which looked terrible. Fine deathmatch, but nothing to go out of your way for.

Watched: Matt Tremont vs. DJ Hyde Square Circle Of Fear Match CZW Redemption 9/22/12

It’s a barbed wire match for the record. The match went along logically enough, but Hyde sucks. He comes off as such a weak fighter at times and considering the last match I saw, it makes that much more obvious.

Watched: Hunico vs. Justin Gabriel WWE Superstars 3/15/12

Damn good match. You usually don’t see this type of mat wrestling in the E. It still lacks that theme to take it to the next level, but it is still really good.

Watched: Gran Akuma vs. The Shard Chikara Deep Freeze 10/6/12

It was fine at points. Shard is green and Akuma just doesn’t have the instincts to have a great match.

Honorable Mention: Mark Angelosetti vs. Green Ant Chikara Deep Freeze 10/6/12

I really liked this minus the finish. Green Ant is so awesome. He is just really adept in practically every facet and is in that top tier of Chikara workers with Quackenbush and Kingston. The clothesline on Mark on the floor was so great. Not deep or anything, but I want to see more singles matches from him. If the finish was any indication that will happen. So Mark was fine, but I want more Green Ant.

Honorable Mention: Mike Quackenbush, UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked, Fire Ant & Green Ant vs. Icarus, Chuck Taylor, The Shard, Obariyon & Kodama Chikara The Zodiac Crimes 10/7/12

God, this is very close to being in that top tier. I mean this was a pedal to the medal, lightning fast 10 man. It was really crisp for about 90-95% of the match with Chuck Taylor getting injured sort of throwing a monkey wrench into the match. I mean top 20 feels out of the question to me, but I least want to give this another shot see if it holds up. HM and a later rewatch.
jman9

PostPosted by ILOVEMATTHARDY » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 am

Dear Jman,
Please give Big Show vs. Sheamus from Hell in a Cell a view. This match was surprisingly good and told a good story.
Stay out of my booze,
ILMH
ILOVEMATTHARDY

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:11 pm

I did review it. Good story, but Big Show's control section didn't do it for me. And somebody get rid of the spam in the General Wrestling forum.

Watched: Cheerleader Melissa vs Nicole Matthews Shimmer 45 3/17/12

Meh. Mediocre storyless wrestling. There just is nothing there to latch on to.

Watched: Mercedes Martinez vs Kana Shimmer 46 3/17/12

Good match. Mercedes held her own against Kana in striking and didn’t come off as out of place. Kana trying to use arm submission attempts to win were executed very well and Mercedes selling wasn’t really bad because her arm wasn’t really worked on. Fun, but nothing great.

Watched: Ayako Hamada & Ayumi Kurihara vs Hailey Hatred & Kalamity Shimmer 46 3/17/12

Shimmer 45 and 46 were taped the same day, in case you wanted to know. Hamada seemed off this match. Just a lot of miscommunication from her. I dug the other three more, but there wasn’t enough there to recommend this.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:42 am

Watched: Mat Fitchett vs. BJ Whitmer AAW The Chaos Theory 1/27/12

I just happened to come across this because AAW has been recommended of late. The match was only interesting when BJ was beating Mat down, but it wasn’t enough to cover Mat’s greenness.

Honorable Mention: Samuray Del Sol vs. Sami Callihan DGUSA Fearless 2012 11/2/12

If you put aside the botch in the beginning, this was very good. Sami brought the ass beating and Sol brought the pretty spots and actually sold his leg really well. The ending was more of a build toward the Generico match, but was pulled off really well. Recommended.

Watched: Jon Davis vs. Akira Tozawa DGUSA Fearless 2012 11/2/12

Surprisingly good. The crowd loved Tozawa and he gave a really spirited performance. The problem is that Davis doesn’t do anything to keep your eyes glued to a match. I am also not sure why he is playing even with a junior when he is supposed to be this heavyweight monster.

Watched: Super Smash Bros. vs. Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi DGUSA Fearless 2012 11/2/12

Another good match. Had its dead space which prevents it from being listable, but it was fun for the most part.

Watched: A.R. Fox vs. Ricochet Respect match DGUSA Fearless 2012 11/2/12

Respect match is a regular match for the record. Weird match. They did an injury angle where Fox blew out his knee on a dive and was going to be carried out. What it ended up doing was quieting the crowd and led to Ricochet dominating 90% of the match. Get rid of that “trainers check on Fox” type deal and I think it could have been very good, but it ended up taking away too much from it.

Watched: Nikki Roxx vs. Rain Shine 1 7/20/12

Rain’s hot, match sucked.

Watched: Sara Del Rey vs Jazz Shine 1 7/20/12

Good match, but because of Jazz, not Sara. I am never going to get the love for Sara. She’s decent, but Jazz can carry a match with mat wrestling, striking, and charisma. Sara is decent. She’s just not going to be that breath of fresh air to the Diva’s division.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Watched: Magnus vs. Samoa Joe No DQ TNA Turning Point 11/11/12

Meh. Didn’t have the energy to be anything special and was a complete waste of a no DQ stipulation.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Bobby Roode vs. James Storm TNA Turning Point 11/11/12

Way too methodical.

Watched: Austin Aries vs. Jeff Hardy Ladder Match TNA Turning Point 11/11/12

I’m on the fence on this one. Hardy was in full on lunatic bumping mode. I mean he went the extra mile to kill himself in that match. The problem was the beginning of the match and that it was actively bad. Like they could not get on the same page at several points. It was like a bad regular match mixed in with a very good ladder match. I say too much miscommunication. Good, but strange match.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:18 am

Watched: Ophidian vs. Heirechon Chikara The Thirteenth Hat 1/28/12

Ok at points, but had no right going that long.

Watched: The Batiri vs. The Colony Chikara The Thirteenth Hat 1/28/12

Dragged.

Watched: F.I.S.T. vs. 3.0 Chikara Green Ice Chikara 3/24/12

Meh. It was fine in parts.

Watched: Dasher Hatfield vs. Ophidian Chikara It’s How you Play the Game 3/25/12

Finally, a pretty good Chikara match today. It was fun for what it was.

Watched: 3.0 and El Generico vs. The Batiri Chikara It’s How you Play the Game 3/25/12

Ok with Generico playing FIP. I wished he was more of an asskicker in this.

Watched: Archibald Peck vs. Chuck Taylor Chikara It’s How you Play the Game 3/25/12

So ridiculous, yet so awesome.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Watched: Arik Cannon & Darin Corbin vs. The Young Bucks Chikara Hot Off the Griddle 4/28/12

Pretty good. There was some botching but it was fine.

Honorable Mention: Tim Donst vs. Hallowicked Mask vs. Hair Match Chikara Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur 6/2/12

Close call on this one. The start is slow and the striking leaves a lot to be desired, but both have that snap to there offense that makes them stand out from the rest of the roster. It is a story based match with some good chicanery and drama. You know what, I liked this enough to put this on the list.

Watched: GEKIDO vs. Eddie Kingston, Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, & The Colony Chikara Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur 6/2/12

Total technico carry job. Still a good match, but GEKIDO are just not getting over.

Watched: The Shard vs Jigsaw Chikara Smack in the Middle 6/24/12

Ok at points. That’s it.

Watched: Tim Donst vs Sara Del Ray Chikara Smack in the Middle 6/24/12

Some good mat wrestling in the beginning, but the finish came out of nowhere.

Watched: Icarus vs. The Mysterious & Handsome Stranger Chikara The Great Escape 7/28/12

It was fun for what it was. Stranger was over in his debut.

Watched: The Batiri vs. 3.0 & Gran Akuma Chikara Give ‘Em The Axe 7/29/12

It was alright.

Watched: Team FIST vs. Team Osaka Pro Chikara King of Trios 2012 Night 1 9/14/12

Comedy. Fine for what it was.

Watched: Aaron McCormick vs. Alex Colon CZW Super Saturday 2/4/12

Good carry job by Colon. Aaron got some pretty moves, but he can’t strike worth a damn. This was all back and forth.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Samuray Del Sol CZW Super Saturday 2/4/12

Good match, but kind of had a back and forth no selly nature to it especially from Fox. Finish was pretty abrupt.

Watched: Tommy Dreamer vs. Sami Callihan CZW Super Saturday 2/4/12

Surprisingly good match. I mean it is still an ECW nostalgia match with the wrestlers keeping ring bells and chairs in front of body parts, but it was a fun match. Dreamer did his thing and was fine and Sami was great in carrying the proceedings. It just didn’t have that incredible moment.

Watched: Matt Tremont vs. Danny Havoc CZW Super Saturday 2/4/12

Good match, with the usual deathmatch issues. I think I would appreciate this match more if they were just having a brawl with the occasional plunder. But when you are stapling on people’s tongues, then it’s getting ridiculous. It just doesn’t add anything to the match.

Adam Cole vs. Drake Younger CZW 13th Anniversary Show 2/11/12

Middling. Just a fine storyless match.

Watched: Drake Younger vs. Sami Callihan CZW Arial Assault 3/10/12

I was thinking about listing this, but it just seemed to go a bit too long. Sami was great as usual really beating the piss out of Drake and attacking the leg like he usually does. Drake sold like his leg hurt, but didn’t really like it was affecting him. Drake’s sections felt heatless and left a lot to be desired. Good match.

Watched: Uhaa Nation vs. Lucky tHURTeen vs. Latin Dragon vs. Niles Young vs. Samuray Del Sol vs. Shane Strickland vs. Ryan McBride vs. Rory Mondo CZW Arial Assault 3/10/12

Stupid as hell. At least Uhaa and Del Sol go to BOTB.

Watched: Sami Callihan vs. Trent 7 vs. Drake Younger vs. AK McKinnan CZW Best of the Best XI 4/14/12

Dragged.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Lince Dorado vs. ACH CZW Best of the Best XI 4/14/12

Dragged again.

Watched: Samuray Del Sol vs. AR Fox CZW Best of the Best XI 4/14/12

Too similar to there Super Saturday match.

Watched: Ruckus vs. Mia Yim vs. Rory Mondo vs.Joe Gacy vs. Niles Young vs. Drew Gulak vs. Latin Dragon vs. Dustin Rayz CZW New Heights 7/8/12

Surprisingly good thanks to Mia. She got her ass kicked all match, was over, and sold her ass off. Not enough good people in it to be anything more then that.

Watched: Masada vs. AR Fox CZW New Heights 7/8/12

Good match. Masada played the ace beating down Fox at his own game and treating him like garbage. Close to a nomination, but I thought the beatdown on Fox went a bit too long.

Honorable Mention: Athena vs. Mercedes Martinez Shimmer 45 3/17/12

This was really good. This was one of those chippy brawls especially from Mercedes. But Athena had some really good kicks to her and I like her top rope launching stunner. Considering Mercedes is a veteran, Athena was really made in this match. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Watched: Rey & Leon vs. Mia Yim & Davina Rose Shimmer 46

The masked ones stunk in this.

Watched: Athena vs. Nicole Matthews Shimmer 46

OK. Leg work was useless and there weren’t enough highlights.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Watched: Chuck Taylor & Scorpio Sky vs. Young Bucks DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 1/27/12

Good match. Pretty much the type of match you would see in PWG which would probably be a massive improvement over what DGUSA was doing all year. The weak finish prevents from being anything more.

Watched: Super Smash Bros vs. The Scene DGUSA Untouchable 2012 7/28/12

Went too long. It looked good for most of it, but the stretch run just didn’t seem to click.

Watched: Super Smash Bros vs. D.U.F DGUSA Enter the Dragon 2012 7/29/12

This was worst then the last match. SSB is being given too much time.

Honorable Mention: Akira Tozawa vs. Samuray Del Sol DGUSA Uprising 11/3/12

This was a ton of fun. It was a spotfest, but when the moves are as painful as they were, you don’t mind it. There are the usual selling issues with Tozawa, but the match works for what it is. HM.

Watched: Super Smash Bros. vs. Ricochet & Rich Swann DGUSA Uprising 11/3/12

An awesome finishing run cannot wipe the taste of the mediocre first two thirds.

Watched: El Generico vs. Sami Callihan 2/3 falls DGUSA Uprising 11/3/12

Good, but strangely laid out. The story with Sami going after the leg and Generico selling it was good, but this had no right being 2/3 falls. It was also a bit too similar to there Evolve match in June and the finish sort of came out of nowhere. Sadly, no.

Watched: AR Fox & CIMA vs. Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi DGUSA Uprising 11/3/12

Better then I thought. It did get fun when the Jimmyz went after Fox’s leg (although not aggressive during the FIP section) and during the finishing stretch minus CIMA’s usual failure to sell. It didn’t feel like a title match however.

Watched: Jigsaw and Fire Ant vs. Super Smash Brothers DGUSA Freedom Fight 2012 11/4/12

Some good comedy and that’s it. Nothing outstanding.

Watched: CIMA vs. Sami Callihan DGUSA Freedom Fight 2012 11/4/12

This was a CIMA match, so it sucked. Sami attacks the leg and CIMA does the worst job possible in selling it. Horrible.

Watched: El Generico & Samuray Del Sol vs. Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi DGUSA Freedom Fight 2012 11/4/12

Same old Dragon Gate formula. Skip the first 2/3rds and go to the stretch run.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Akira Tozawa vs. AR Fox vs. Ricochet Elimination DGUSA Freedom Fight 2012 11/4/12

Overkilly to the point of parody. There is absolutely no reason the match should have went as long as it did with Gargano selling the attack from Jon Davis. Even then, there was way too much standing around by the wrestlers. Hell no.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Dolph Ziggler & Wade Barrett vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane, Kofi Kingston, Randy Orton & The Miz WWE Survivor Series 11/18/12

Good match. I’m probably one of the few that liked the lean nature of the match. No standout moment to take it to that next level, but I enjoyed it.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz WWE Main Event 11/21/12

A bit too basic for my taste.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Watched: El Generico vs The Shard Chikara Zelda the Great 11/10/12

Damn good. The usual Generico match with a pretty electric crowd. I do wish however it had less Shard stalling and more storytelling.

Watched: FIST vs Mr. Touchdown and Dasher Hatfield vs 3.0 vs Mysterious and Handsome Stranger and Sapphire Elimination Chikara Zelda the Great 11/10/12

The usual Chikara structured match with a little bit of everything. It was still a good match with Mark killing Sapphire being the highlight.

Watched: Spectral Envoy vs Young Bucks Chikara Zelda the Great 11/10/12

This didn’t do it for me. The story of Black getting taken out early was good, but they didn’t have the chemistry that night.

Watched: Gran Akuma, El Generico, 3.0 vs Bravados and Young Bucks Chikara A Piece of the Action 11/11/12

The match, although good at points, felt kind of like a house show match down to the quiet crowd.

Watched: Eddie Kingston, Tim Donst, Gran Akuma, Hallowicked, Ultramantis Black, Frightmare, Shane Matthews, and Scott Parker vs. Kevin Steen, Mark Briscoe, Jay Briscoe, Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Harlem Bravado, Lancelot Bravado, and Jimmy Jacobs Cibernetico Chikara The Cibernetico Rises 11/18/12

Good match, but I think Team Steen had too much control for a match that went an hour plus. Cut some of that and think it would have been leaner. It also had a pretty unsatisfying conclusion. I guess Ciberneticos are of an acquired taste.

Watched: Drew McIntyre vs Sin Cara WWE Superstars 7/26/2012

Good match. A bit too restholdy however.

Watched: Johnny Curtis and Michael McGillicutty vs The Uso Brothers WWE Superstars 8/16/2012

Good, but not deep tag wrestling.

Watched: Michael McGillicutty and Johnny Curtis vs Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel WWE NXT 8/22/2012

OK, but the last match was better.

Watched: Seth Rollins vs Jinder Mahal WWE NXT 8/29/2012

The whole package was good, but Seth’s back selling was inconsistent.

Honorable Mention: The Big Show vs Randy Orton WWE Smackdown 9/28/2012

This was brilliant. Both these wrestlers are flawed in there own ways. Big Show tends to be too methodical in his matches and Orton offense has tendency not to look that good. They fix Big Show’s problem by having Del Rio attack Orton (injuring his mid section) before the match that way he has a focus to his offense and his methodicalness comes off as him playing with his food. They fix Orton by having him not get much offense on Big Show. Pretty much a well booked, well put together match, that went the right amount of time. HM.

Watched: Wade Barrett vs Tyson Kidd WWE Superstars 10/11/2012

Another good match. Wade’s comebacks were a bit too easy at points, but it was still a good time.

Honorable Mention: Antonio Cesaro vs Kofi Kingston vs R-Truth vs Wade Barrett WWE Raw 12/3/2012

Minus one botch, this was hell of a sprint. Just no wasted motion in the match and every matchup is at least good. HM.

Watched: Jinder Mahal and Drew McIntyre vs Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd WWE Superstars 12/13/2012

Good again. Just not great.
jman9

PreviousNext

Return to General Wrestling