What Do You Like/Dislike About WWE To Start 2013?

Enter the world of McMahon.

What Do You Like/Dislike About WWE To Start 2013?

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 am

This might be me talking to myself, but I think a couple of you will chime in at least. No need to be as extensive as me (though I am certainly not going to stop you) and you can just argue with what I say if you want, but what are your feelings about WWE right now? It's the start of 2013 and I figured I might as well gauge opinions on WWE as we're heading into the Road to Wrestlemania.

I am going to give blurbs on individual wrestlers as well as different aspects of the WWE product in general. There is no particular format I am going for, but I will probably just drop a list in here.

I think I will start by discussing the entire roster and whether or not I like what their character is doing currently:

Alberto Del Rio - He's really one of the better heels so I was skeptical about them turning him face, but I will say this. I don't hate the face turn. I really don't. They haven't changed that much of what he has done in the past except that now he defends Ricardo instead of letting Ricardo get destroyed.
Alex Riley - Riley is MIA on the TV shows, but turns up on NXT occasionally. I don't have a lot of use for him and he isn't really from Washington DC.
Antonio Cesaro - Big Cesaro fan. I am always interested in seeing him wrestle. I want him to work an actual program though. He had kind of a mini feud with Truth, but there is still a lot of potential that WWE hasn't tapped into with him yet. Physically, he's an absolute monster. The Neutralizer on Brodus/Khali were nuts. I was legit convinced he couldn't do it and then he did. Awesome. His Flying Uppercut even looks good which is saying alot because I thought it was a dumb move before I saw Cesaro do it.
Big E Langston - I find him boring on NXT, but intriguing as Ziggler's bodyguard.
Big Show - He's solid as a heel champ. He provides a definite unstoppable force spot that is needed to get a top babyface over. He doesn't have a ton of direction right now, but they will pair him up with someone in the next couple weeks so I'm not worried.
Brad Maddox - I am intrigued but apprehensive about Maddox. I don't know what they plan to do with him and worry that they're not sure either. I don't want someone without any possibility for advancement to take up tv time in any way.
Brock Lesnar - MIA, but I like the idea of him returning and was entertained by his return last Spring. Brock brings a lot of star power to be sure.
Brodus Clay - Kind of a joke. Don't get me wrong, he provides good fodder for midcard heels, but how serious can you take him?
Camacho - Um... yeah... he's on the roster? I saw him on NXT recently and he didn't do anything wrong, but there isn't much for him on the tv shows.
Christian - Injured. Hopefully returns soon. I don't even know who I'd like to see him work with, but he'll put on a show regardless of who it is.
CM Punk - He says he's the best thing going in wrestling and he's right. The promo on Monday night was a great indicator of that too.
Cody Rhodes - Cody is awesome paired with Sandow. Cody is awesome flying solo. He isn't a main event level guy right now and I don't know if he ever will be, but he is great at what he does which is make people hate him. Nice stasche too. It is majorly over.
Curt Hawkins - Injured and nobody really cares
Damien Sandow - See Cody and then swap their names and get rid of the stache blurb. That's Sandow.
Daniel Bryan - I like Daniel Bryan a lot. I really do. I want to see his character evolve a bit more beyond what he currently is. I thought I was seeing that at first when he and Kane seemed solidly united against the Shield and then it just sort of faded out after TLC.
Darren Young - He gets outshined by Titus every time.
David Otunga - Good promo guy, but I don't think WWE really knows what to do with him
Dean Ambrose - Really dig his work with the Shield but need that group as a whole to evolve and flesh out their characters further.
Derrick Bateman - He's on the roster? Who cares? Nobody
Dolph Ziggler - Ziggler looks like a star right now. He looked like a star without AJ and Langston, but now he seems like a top guy. It's about time.
Drew McIntyre - 3MB is like a guilty pleasure in WWE. I enjoy it, but I don't take it seriously.
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - When he's on he's on, when he's not it annoys me. I always want The Rock to be more serious, but that's not what they bring him around for. I won't deny his star power, but I am just not a big Rock fan.
Epico - He's tag team fodder. I like what he does on NXT, but on the main roster, he's just fodder.
Evan Bourne - He ever coming back?
Ezekiel Jackson - Still around? Don't care
Fandango - Ever going to debut? Will I care if he does? Probably not.
The Great Khali - I despise Khali. Anybody notice that his body looks like Zoidberg from Futurama out of his shell? Just saying. I liked him as a jobber because he's so imposing that is makes guys look impressive.
Heath Slater - See Drewsky
Hornswoggle - Waste of time and space. And he doesn't even take up much space.
Hunico - Injured right? Who cares?
Jack Swagger - I miss Swagger. Hopefully he isn't a total jobber when he comes back
Jey Uso - In theory I like the Usos. They're a decent tag team that just doesn't seem to be going anywhere though.
Jimmy Uso - see above
Jinder Mahal - See Drewsky
John Cena - Cena's character needs to evolve a bit more. I don't need the heel turn and I don't need them to stop him from being a hero. I just need it to matter when he wins or loses. I also need him to shake up his promo style a bit every now and then and I especially hate it when he leads off a show and sounds like the town crier and announces what is going to be on the show that night. I want him to stick to what motivates his character and not hype what other people are doing. It isn't that I don't get that he's the biggest star, it's that I want him to focus on himself and not what other people are doing. This sounds a lot more negative than I really feel toward Cena because I like his in ring work, but with all wrestlers, I get frustrated when it doesn't feel like their characters are evolving.
JTG - Hahahaha really? Why is he still around?
Justin Gabriel - I like Gabriel and really like his teaming with Kidd. Those two should hold the belts at some point or it is a waste of talent
Kane - Kane is an example of a character that has evolved so much in just a few years. I really enjoy what they've done with him and hope that they continue being creative with him rather than resting on their laurels. He is pretty much the prototype of what you want out of a big man also.
Kofi Kingston - I don't know what to make out of Kofi. I don't think the WWE does either. I like watching him wrestle but never feel emotionally invested in him.
Mark Henry - I miss Mark Henry
Mason Ryan - I don't miss Mason Ryan
Michael McGillicutty - McGillicutty does some really really solid work when given the chance. He's great on NXT. He was great on Superstars with Kidd. I would like to see him in a tag team or something where he can be showcased.
The Miz - Worst face turn ever. I really am bored with the Miz. I find his shtick beyond stale and he hasn't even been a face for that long. MizTV is awful too. He does do that sweet Miz Clothesline though.
Percy Watson - BOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Primo - See Epico
R-Truth - I dunno. Little Jimmy is stupid. I think Truth is being wasted.
Randy Orton - Ya know, I like Orton. I am not the biggest fan, but I like him. When he has a match, I am interested to see it.
Rey Mysterio - I want Rey to retire. I don't enjoy his matches. I will say that I like his tag matches better, but I still am tired of him.
Ricardo Rodriguez/El Local - He's an announcer... sort of. I dig Ricardo's work.
Roman Reigns - See Ambrose
Ryback - He is good at what he does, which is throw people around and get the crowd excited. Do I think he deserves his spot? No. Do I hate him? No. Do I enjoy seeing him wrestle? I do occasionally. I like seeing some cool power moves. I don't like how he is booked all the time and I don't think he should always be able to fight off three men, but it isn't as though how he is booked is his fault either.
Santino Marella - Stale.
Seth Rollins - See Ambrose
Sheamus - Sheamus as a happy go lucky babyface holds no appeal for me. I don't find him entertaining or funny and I don't want to watch him clown around. This is a guy who made a name for himself just kicking people in the head. I enjoyed that about him. I don't think he's a bad talker, but I think he gets too much mic time. I liked his series of matches with Big Show which all greatly exceeded my expectations for what the two were capable of. I am even interested in a Sheamus/Orton feud which they are teasing.
Sin Cara - I don't have a lot of use for Sin Cara. He's fun to watch in small doses but there is rarely anyone I actually want to see him beat.
Ted DiBiase - I always liked Ted, but did he even wrestle in 2012?
Tensai - See Brodus and make that midcard babyfaces
Titus O'Neil - Titus is growing on me. I like the Prime Time Players but I think they are kind of being wasted.
Trent Barreta - I've seen him on NXT and just don't get what the big deal on this guy is. He got released.
Tyson Kidd - Kidd is awesome. Just a complete beast in the ring. I am always happy to watch a Tyson Kidd match
Undertaker - Taker is a spectacle. He might wrestle only once a year, but I don't really mind.
Wade Barrett - Barrett is solid in the ring and on the mic. I enjoy his work, especially against other solid workers.
William Regal - He does really really good commentary on NXT. I would take him over any other color commentator on Raw or SD right now.
Yoshi Tatsu - Who cares really?
Zack Ryder - I can't tell if WWE missed the boat with Ryder or if Ryder missed the boat on Ryder. I don't think he's a very entertaining wrestler to be honest, despite his ability to attract attention on the internet.

That was extensive. On to other stuff!

I have been watching NXT on Hulu Plus lately and I have to say that it isn't bad at all. Sure, I will grant that there are some squash matches that take away from the whole thing and some of the guys are so small that they are almost not believable against bigger guys, but it's a solid product being that it is only an hour long. There really is a wealth of talent in WWE right now, so much so that guys in developmental are kind of stuck there until further notice. Bray Wyatt, Kassius Ohno, McGuillicutty, and Corey Graves all stand out down there. Graves more for his look and the cool submission he does than anything else, but regardless. The Ascension were awesome before one of them assaulted a police officer and got released. That sucked.

The Divas Division is awful. I mean really bad. Eve isn't a bad wrestler, but she shouldn't be the flagship of women's wrestling. Natalya is a talented wrestler but doesn't even seem to have matches. I mean, the whole division just seems like a joke right now. They should have just killed it when Beth left.

The tag division has sort of stalled out. There was that two month resurgence and then it seemed to run out of steam. All the same teams are still around so I can't understand why. Booking meaningful tag feuds is pretty simple so I can't figure out why WWE seems to be so opposed to it. Did they not sell enough Hardyz and DX merch to realize that building "cool" tag teams will move t-shirts?

I'm a big fan of Booker as a GM. I don't know why, but I think he is particularly well suited to the role. Vickie, I am not as enthused about, especially now that she's not even really much of a heel.

AJ Lee is still too much of a focal point on Raw. She doesn't wrestle and in my book that means she shouldn't be focused on as much. The whole Cena/AJ storyline was garbage and a complete waste of time. It was kind of nonsensical where it ended up as well.

I haven't seen a truly sinister heel turn in what seems like forever. I mean, Punk attacking Rock kind of had that feeling, but that was like six months ago. And even then, it wasn't that sinister. I want to see a truly evil heel pop up. Punk isn't evil enough for my taste. I'm talking like Ministry era Undertaker levels of evil, but I don't necessarily need the magic and religious imagery (though I'm not opposed) even SES Punk was more than evil enough.

The whole Punk/Shield/Maddox story has been surprisingly intriguing to me. I assume they're all in collusion, but it has been dragged out so long and the Shield attacks so many people that it is hard to really grasp all the motivations that factor into the whole thing. The Shield is really the wild card there because Punk's motivations make sense, keep the belt at all cost. The Shield helping him keep the belt is the part that I want fleshed out more. I want to know why. I'm sure it will eventually be explained.

There are too many comedy wrestlers who just aren't funny. Santino is occasionally amusing, but I don't need to see Swaggle or Ryder on my tv and Truth is wasted talent as a comedy wrestler. Also, there are too many nostalgia cameos. If I can expect a different retired wrestler to be dragged in every week, how is it special anymore? Also, leave Foley at home. I don't want to see or hear him. Double that for Piper.

I actually miss Johnny Ace. He was the kind of asshole who you always wanted to see get his comeuppance. I think his storylines were often poorly done, but man were they enjoyable when the pay off went down.

Big Show as champion has been surprisingly decent. I want a fresh non-Sheamus challenger for him, but otherwise I am happy with it.

That brings me to another point, is it so much to ask that when a challenger does not win the belt, they actually drop out of title contention? I feel like WWE has guys feud for 3 months at a time just for the sake of it. Last summer, Del Rio managed to lose at like 3 straight PPVs to Sheamus but somehow just kept jumping back into contention. That's stupid. If Jon Jones beats Chael Sonnen to retain the belt, Sonnen doesn't immediately get a rematch. It's one of those things in the WWE that makes it harder to suspend disbelief.

Anyways, there is probably more I could praise/criticize, but I want to get this posted and get to bed for now. Feel free to jump in as you see fit!
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: What Do You Like/Dislike About WWE To Start 2013?

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 am

The Rock being on Raw/PPVs.

And this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trendi ... ty-pebbles
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
bountyhunter

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 am

I had an entire post all ready to go, and then I went to post it and the site told me I wasn't logged in. Ever since maintenance was done on this site, I've been having all sorts of problems logging in. Firefox won't let me log in properly (it says I'm logging in, and then as soon as it leaves that page I'm no longer logged in). What's even weirder is that it shows my name on the user list as being logged in. Internet Explorer doesn't have that problem (even if my name is on the user list, it still lets me log in and also takes it off the user list when I log out). I don't like using Internet Explorer (due to the fact I think it's inferior top Firefox in many ways, plus the fact that when I just went to post it acted like I had logged out upon doing so) if I can help it. I don't know if this is a problem with my computer or the site, but it would be great if you could look into this Shot (I'd ask the admins/mods in general, but none of the are active regularly). Either way, pretty pissed I spent 20 minutes typing out a response that didn't post. I'll try to post my thoughts again later (or when my log in problem is resolved), too angry right now to bother trying again.
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
LegendKillerRAB

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by Longshot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm

LegendKillerRAB wrote:I had an entire post all ready to go, and then I went to post it and the site told me I wasn't logged in. Ever since maintenance was done on this site, I've been having all sorts of problems logging in. Firefox won't let me log in properly (it says I'm logging in, and then as soon as it leaves that page I'm no longer logged in). What's even weirder is that it shows my name on the user list as being logged in. Internet Explorer doesn't have that problem (even if my name is on the user list, it still lets me log in and also takes it off the user list when I log out). I don't like using Internet Explorer (due to the fact I think it's inferior top Firefox in many ways, plus the fact that when I just went to post it acted like I had logged out upon doing so) if I can help it. I don't know if this is a problem with my computer or the site, but it would be great if you could look into this Shot (I'd ask the admins/mods in general, but none of the are active regularly). Either way, pretty pissed I spent 20 minutes typing out a response that didn't post. I'll try to post my thoughts again later (or when my log in problem is resolved), too angry right now to bother trying again.

I actually had something similar happen to me yesterday because my post took a while to type up and in that time I guess the site logged me off? I dunno, anywho, when I hit the back button all my text was still there so I relogged in and just copied and pasted. I stopped using Firefox a few months ago when it was just so slow that I couldn't seem to go to any website at all. I switched to Chrome, which I don't like as much as Firefox, but it works at least, which Firefox wasn't doing for me. I hate IE and just don't use it.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

PostPosted by Longshot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 pm

I thought of another thing I like.

I like that the main event for the Royal Rumble (not the Rumble match itself) actually feels like it matters this year. Last year, it just seemed like they threw Ziggler into the mix at the last second as a way to have a title defense. This year, Rock vs. Punk is probably as much of a selling point to me as The Rumble match itself, which is my second favorite gimmick match WWE puts on. What? I mark for Elimination Chamber.

I also liked the announcement of The Rock as the challenger six months in advance. It kind of put something in the back of your mind that made you understand that Royal Rumble was more than just the first stop on the Road to Wrestlemania.
Longshot
Site Admin

CM Punk

Return to WWE