Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

Enter the world of McMahon.

Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 am

I feel like it needs a thread. Hopefully, there will be discussion, but whatever.

Who ya got?

Common sense says John Cena. That being said, WWE doesn't generally like to give you the most obvious conclusion. It might be close to what you think will happen, but something will be off somewhat. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone like The Undertaker won the Rumble match. I personally hope that neither of those two wins the match because neither of them need the stepping stone to the main event level that winning the Rumble provides. I don't know who I legitimately expect to win the Rumble if not Cena though. Keeping in mind that there is still Elimination Chamber between Rumble and Mania, there is no saying who will even be the champion going into Wrestlemania.

I kind of hope Punk loses the belt to The Rock. Not because I am a Rock fan or a Punk detractor, quite the opposite really. My rationale is this: CM Punk and The Shield cannot admit to being in collusion while Punk is the champion because Vince said he would strip Punk of the belt if he found that either The Shield or Maddox had an association with Punk leading to Punk retaining over Ryback, therefore the only way for the storyline with The Shield, Punk, Heyman, and Maddox to move forward would be for Punk to lose the belt. I am just kind of tired of the holding pattern The Shield is in right now. They aren't doing much of anything aside from attacking the same three or four guys week after week. It is tiresome and it feels like a waste of all the momentum they had built since their arrival in November.

I am also unsure of who Del Rio's next challenger would be if he retains over Big Show. His title win was so sudden that I am just not sure where it is going. I don't mind that so much because I like not having a clue where something is going. It helps me suspend disbelief a bit more.

Anywho, that's just a quick blurb from me. What is everyone's take on Rumble and where it is leading?
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:53 am

The only person I could winning is Cena, as I fully expect Rock to beat Punk for the title (Orton would have a shot if he turns heel PRIOR to the Rumble, but I expect his heel turn to come at the Rumble itself following him being eliminated by Sheamus). That being said, I absolutely do not want Rock to win the title, because he doesn't need it. Rock has acted like Punk is a joke (yes, he has been serious at times too) so if he beats him, that makes Punk a joke. WWE constantly uses promising talent to put over established talent, then wonders why nobody takes the once promising talent seriously (everybody would say that the established talent would put over the new talent eventually. So, what new talent did guys HHH & Batista put over when their active careers ended? At best Sheamus in HHH's case, who upon HHH's return when he becamse semi-active proceeded to get destroyed, despite the fact that HHH was heading into a feud with Taker). Sure, Punk doesn't exactly need to keep the title for himself (though he's not Cena or Rock, so he does have more use for the belt than they do) but the truth is Punk would be better served dropping the title to someone who could use the rub. That person could gloat about dethroning the longest reigning champion of the modern era.

Also, as far as Punk dropping the title to move the Shield along, I have never once thought that Punk & the Shield were working together. They kept attacking guys that had nothing to do with what Punk was doing at the time, the only exception being Ryback. Ryback is clearly in Punk's rearview mirror now, but the Shield is still dealing with him, which leads me to believe Punk's character simply benefitted from a coincedence. If they were revealed as being in colusion with Punk, they would wind up as his underlings, and that's not the route I want to see this go (especially given the track record of Punk's past underlings in the Straight Edge Society & The New Nexus). Now, as for where the Shield actually goes, I don't know. The seemed to be building to Ryback/Orton/Sheamus vs. The Shield, but with both Orton & Sheamus already in the Rumble (and Orton clearly showing that he is more focused on the Rumble than the Shield, plus his rumored upcoming heel turn) I can't see this match actually happening.

As far as Del Rio goes, I expect him to beat the Big Show at the Rumble. I also expect him to defend it in an Elimination Chamber match at the EC PPV, so he won't have to worry about building a 1 on 1 fued. The question there is, does he retain, and if he does, who does he face at Mania? If he doesn't retain, then the rumored Sheamus/Orton match will likely be for the title (one of them wins at EC, the other wins No. 1 contender status in the following weeks).

Lastly, we have the tag title match. If you asked me a few weeks ago, I'd have said Team Rhodes Scholars would capture the belts here. However, the have been booked like jokes the past couple of weeks. WWE likes to do the "loser going into the match wins" booking, but there's a difference between losing close matches & jobbing out in less than a minute. I feel Rhodes' & Sandow's credibility has taken a hit, and now I'm not sure it's the right time anymore. That being said, I'm not guaranteeing Team Hell No retains either.
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:47 am

LegendKillerRAB wrote:Also, as far as Punk dropping the title to move the Shield along, I have never once thought that Punk & the Shield were working together. They kept attacking guys that had nothing to do with what Punk was doing at the time, the only exception being Ryback. Ryback is clearly in Punk's rearview mirror now, but the Shield is still dealing with him, which leads me to believe Punk's character simply benefitted from a coincedence. If they were revealed as being in colusion with Punk, they would wind up as his underlings, and that's not the route I want to see this go (especially given the track record of Punk's past underlings in the Straight Edge Society & The New Nexus). Now, as for where the Shield actually goes, I don't know. The seemed to be building to Ryback/Orton/Sheamus vs. The Shield, but with both Orton & Sheamus already in the Rumble (and Orton clearly showing that he is more focused on the Rumble than the Shield, plus his rumored upcoming heel turn) I can't see this match actually happening.


I mean, I always assumed they were involved since it seemed like their main focus was to keep Punk from losing the belt. They debuted and helped him retain, interrupted the polygraph, and helped him retain in the TLC match. I'm not saying that's all there is to them, but there is a connection there.
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 am

They should do a tag team Elimination Chamber of The Shield vs. Orton, Sheamus, and one other guy that's not Ryback where The Shield wins after Orton turns heel on Sheamus
Image
User avatar
SHADE 45
 
Posts: 3224
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: The Danger Zone
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 am

SHADE 45 wrote:They should do a tag team Elimination Chamber of The Shield vs. Orton, Sheamus, and one other guy that's not Ryback where The Shield wins after Orton turns heel on Sheamus


For some reason, I can see The Shield fighting DX at Mania. Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, and probably X Pac. In my head, I've worked myself through it to the point where it makes sense to me. It could be a total shot in the dark, but consider it my first far fetched prediction of 2013.
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 am

You know, I'm starting to think that while Cena vs. Rock is most likely the endgame & thus the Rock will beat Punk, Cena won't be winning the Royal Rumble. Several reasons come to mind. First, the common smark reasoning that Cena doesn't need to win the Rumble to be able to face the champion at Mania, and that the win could be better served for someone who needs it. Next, the Elimination Chamber PPV presents some issues. The Rock has been advertised for the show, and you have to believe the show is going to have a WWE Championship match on it. The thing is, if Rock has the title, I can't possibly see them putting him in an Elimination Chamber match, which means he would likely defend the title against Punk in a rematch. However, WWE almost always puts on 2 EC matches (one for Raw, one for SD). If the title isn't going to be defended in the Raw Chamber, and if John Cena is already the #1 contender for the title at Mania due to winning the Rumble (you have to believe he would announce right away that he would gunning for the WWE title, because whether Rock or Punk won at EC he would have a beef with whoever the champion was), then what could the Raw chamber possibly be for? On top of that, what would Cena be doing at EC? They aren't going to just leave him off the card, and his fued with Ziggler has already run it's course with him beating Ziggler clean 362 times. So, a one month fued to kill time before builds to his match at Mania? I can't see it. All this has led me to believe Cena does not win the Rumble, but that the RAW Chamber will be for #1 Contendership with Cena winning.
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:22 pm

LegendKillerRAB wrote:You know, I'm starting to think that while Cena vs. Rock is most likely the endgame & thus the Rock will beat Punk, Cena won't be winning the Royal Rumble. Several reasons come to mind. First, the common smark reasoning that Cena doesn't need to win the Rumble to be able to face the champion at Mania, and that the win could be better served for someone who needs it. Next, the Elimination Chamber PPV presents some issues. The Rock has been advertised for the show, and you have to believe the show is going to have a WWE Championship match on it. The thing is, if Rock has the title, I can't possibly see them putting him in an Elimination Chamber match, which means he would likely defend the title against Punk in a rematch. However, WWE almost always puts on 2 EC matches (one for Raw, one for SD). If the title isn't going to be defended in the Raw Chamber, and if John Cena is already the #1 contender for the title at Mania due to winning the Rumble (you have to believe he would announce right away that he would gunning for the WWE title, because whether Rock or Punk won at EC he would have a beef with whoever the champion was), then what could the Raw chamber possibly be for? On top of that, what would Cena be doing at EC? They aren't going to just leave him off the card, and his fued with Ziggler has already run it's course with him beating Ziggler clean 362 times. So, a one month fued to kill time before builds to his match at Mania? I can't see it. All this has led me to believe Cena does not win the Rumble, but that the RAW Chamber will be for #1 Contendership with Cena winning.


I see your logic, but I could also see Punk winning at Rumble and then losing to either Rock or Cena at EC (dependent upon whether or not Cena wins at Rumble). I mean, if Cena wins the Rumble, then there's no reason for him to bother being in the EC match, so he could hypothetically finish off his feud with Ziggler at EC before moving on to Wrestlemania.

There's such a common sense knee jerk reaction of "there's no way Punk beats Rock" that I think he pretty much has to. It's more than likely I am overthinking it, but whatever.
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:39 am

Longshot wrote:I see your logic, but I could also see Punk winning at Rumble and then losing to either Rock or Cena at EC (dependent upon whether or not Cena wins at Rumble). I mean, if Cena wins the Rumble, then there's no reason for him to bother being in the EC match, so he could hypothetically finish off his feud with Ziggler at EC before moving on to Wrestlemania.

There's such a common sense knee jerk reaction of "there's no way Punk beats Rock" that I think he pretty much has to. It's more than likely I am overthinking it, but whatever.


The only way Punk walks out of the Rumble with the title is if Rock/Lesnar is set for Mania, which would mean Lesnar would interfere, because hell will freeze over before Punk would beat The Rock cleanly (I'm aware that Punk could conceivably cheat using low blows & weapons, but I can't see that being the way he retains if they are booking him to do so). Also, Cena/Ziggler is basically over, what does Cena have left to prove? He's beaten Ziggler clean numerous times, why would anyone think a rematch at EC would go any differently? And like I said, if Cena is #1 contender from winning the Rumble, the RAW EC chamber can't be for the #1 contendership. Now, if Punk retains at the Rumble, it's not a problem, because he would definitely defend it in the chamber (the Rock would show up for a promo I guess, and maybe brawl with Lesnar). If Rock wins, he's not going to defend it in the EC, I can't see his agents & whatnot letting him jump into a match that has a far greater chance of hurting him than a singles match. That would mean Raw simply wouldn't have a chamber match, and while it's not impossible to believe Vince would do just that, it would absolutely be the wrong call in my eyes. EC has always had 2 EC matches, and that formula has always produced 2 good to great matches. There's no reason to mess with something that has been successful for so many years (for example, changing the 30-man Royal Rumble to the 40-man Royal Rumble. They messed with success, it didn't work out, and they switched back to the old format).
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 pm

LegendKillerRAB wrote:
Longshot wrote:I see your logic, but I could also see Punk winning at Rumble and then losing to either Rock or Cena at EC (dependent upon whether or not Cena wins at Rumble). I mean, if Cena wins the Rumble, then there's no reason for him to bother being in the EC match, so he could hypothetically finish off his feud with Ziggler at EC before moving on to Wrestlemania.

There's such a common sense knee jerk reaction of "there's no way Punk beats Rock" that I think he pretty much has to. It's more than likely I am overthinking it, but whatever.


The only way Punk walks out of the Rumble with the title is if Rock/Lesnar is set for Mania, which would mean Lesnar would interfere, because hell will freeze over before Punk would beat The Rock cleanly (I'm aware that Punk could conceivably cheat using low blows & weapons, but I can't see that being the way he retains if they are booking him to do so). Also, Cena/Ziggler is basically over, what does Cena have left to prove? He's beaten Ziggler clean numerous times, why would anyone think a rematch at EC would go any differently? And like I said, if Cena is #1 contender from winning the Rumble, the RAW EC chamber can't be for the #1 contendership. Now, if Punk retains at the Rumble, it's not a problem, because he would definitely defend it in the chamber (the Rock would show up for a promo I guess, and maybe brawl with Lesnar). If Rock wins, he's not going to defend it in the EC, I can't see his agents & whatnot letting him jump into a match that has a far greater chance of hurting him than a singles match. That would mean Raw simply wouldn't have a chamber match, and while it's not impossible to believe Vince would do just that, it would absolutely be the wrong call in my eyes. EC has always had 2 EC matches, and that formula has always produced 2 good to great matches. There's no reason to mess with something that has been successful for so many years (for example, changing the 30-man Royal Rumble to the 40-man Royal Rumble. They messed with success, it didn't work out, and they switched back to the old format).


I could see Cena having to put his #1 contender shot up against Dolph in similar fashion to how Dolph had to put his Money in the Bank contract on the line against Cena. I think we're getting Cena/Rock 2 unless Rock/Punk does astronomical PPV buys. I do think it will be for the WWE Championship. All that being said, I still am not convinced The Rock will win tonight or Cena will win tonight. I certainly do not expect Brock/Rock to happen at Mania. Although I do sort of expect Lesnar to return fairly soon.

Here's some other Rumble stuff:

- All three members of the Shield are expected for tonight's Royal Rumble match.

- Chris Masters and Shane Helms have been spotted hanging out with the WWE crew in Phoenix this weekend. There is no confirmation that they are in the Royal Rumble match, though.

- NXT's Bo Dallas, who won a spot in tonight's Royal Rumble match, is expected to be a regular member of the WWE roster from here on out.

Credit: Rajah


I had also heard that Shelton and Carlito are in town and expected to work the Rumble. Speculation from the interwebz but whatever. Actually Carlito coming back wouldn't be so bad as long as he is motivated. Put him in a stable he leads with Primo and Epico and they might not even seem like total jokes anymore.
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:05 am

Starting with WHC?!
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
User avatar
bountyhunter
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 am
Location: In Lisa Sparxxx
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Herco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 am

I'm in for the rumble. I like this idea of Ziggler winning, cashing in, then going to mania and unifying the world and wwe titles. It would make a lot of sense and put a lot of impact on WWE to have ziggler cement himself as a top heel.
User avatar
Herco
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:55 pm
Location: Boedo city
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Raven
Favorite Show: Raw, Smackdown! & TNA. Only before 2007.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 am

Wow, Jericho returns? I honestly didn't expect that given his problems with WWE lately. If this is for more than just tonight, then I expect Jericho vs. Ziggler for Mania (Jericho seeking revenge for getting fired because of Ziggler).
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:33 am

I think that's the first time the Godfather put his shades and hat back on at ringside lol.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
User avatar
bountyhunter
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 am
Location: In Lisa Sparxxx
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 am

Super Cena!
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
User avatar
bountyhunter
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 am
Location: In Lisa Sparxxx
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 am

The Rock's Sharpshooter sucks.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
User avatar
bountyhunter
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 am
Location: In Lisa Sparxxx
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 am

bountyhunter wrote:The Rock's Sharpshooter sucks.


Nothing new there.
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 am

20 minutes left? Yeah, I'll be shocked if this stands.

EDIT: Yup, here's Vince.

EDIT 2: That's how you end Punk's reign? Punk loses to a Spinebuster & People's Elbow after NOT HAVING TAKEN A SINGLE OFFENSIVE MOVE IN THE LAST FIVE FUCKING MINUTES!? Yeah, have fun in 5 years when guys like Cena & Orton are gone & no one left on your roster is taken seriously Vince.
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by bountyhunter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 am

JBL confuses me. He goes from begging the CM Punk victory stand to celebrating Rock's victory.
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson wrote:[Referring to his 0.7 grade point average in college] "It's pretty hard to get a point seven. You have to do close to nothing."

ImageImage
User avatar
bountyhunter
 
Posts: 3794
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 am
Location: In Lisa Sparxxx
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:59 am

Jericho was a cool surprise for sure. Godfather, not as much. Goldust, awesome.

The Rumble match wasn't as fun as it has been in the past. It wasn't bad, just not as exciting. I enjoyed the Cody/Goldust battles, but those were pretty much the highlight for me.

I had read that Bo Dallas would be moving up to the main roster and I am guessing that is true considering they all but laid out a feud for him. I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of him in NXT, but he didn't look out of place with the WWE Roster tonight.

Also, for my money, Punk losing means he can at least admit that The Shield and Maddox were working for him the entire time now. So there's that. I thought the match should have gone another five minutes after they restarted it.

I was a little disappointed I didn't get to see a couple of the entrants I was hoping for, namely Shelton Benjamin, but I'm not really that upset. I think WWE missed an opportunity to do something with 3MB by not having any of them in the ring at the same time and the same with the Prime Time Players. Where were Primo and Epico? I could have done without Godfather, Sin Cara, Santino, Ryder, and Khali. Kofi's Rumble spot was boring in comparison to stuff I have seen from him or Morrison before.

The Rock/Punk match wasn't bad I guess. It wasn't great either though. I don't know that The Rock has great matches left in him though.

Show/Del Rio had it's moments, but I feel like I wanted more. I hate finishes like that. Sure, it's funny, but really it kind of made Alberto look weak. I suppose anytime you retain it doesn't look that weak though.

Kane/Bryan vs. The Rhodes Scholars was a typical Hell No match. Not great, not terrible, but somewhere in the middle. The only thing about it that wasn't forgettable is that Bryan actually made someone tap out. Otherwise, it was just another match in a feud that kind of lost its legs in November when Cody got hurt.

I think my expectations were probably too high going into tonight, but I had hoped for a bit more.
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by LegendKillerRAB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 am

http://www.wwe.com/videos/chris-jericho ... 7-26087755

Interesting promo. It doesn't exactly prove whether Jericho is staying for a bit or just a one night deal though (Dolph confronting him would seem to indicate a fued, but Jericho's closing remarks also make it seem like his return could be a one night thing).
DBry 3:16 says YES! YES! YES!
User avatar
LegendKillerRAB
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 am
Location: Long Island, New York
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Randy Orton
Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Astroblack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Totally dissapointed. Thought the show was really fun but the outcomes were blah. Ziggler stole the show last night and for Cena to win, totally killed the mood. Rock winning wasn't the best either. It just doesn't feel right those two headlining WM again. It was cool last year. The whole once in a lifetime thing but what else can they do? I don't wanna see it at all.

Goldust and Jericho making appearences was awesome. Agree with Shot on Primetime players and 3MB. Really missed an opportunity to do anything. You saw how none of the midcarders dominated or really got any shine. Sheamus, Cena and Orton cleared the ring when they came in. Hated how Cole remarked how Sheamus had been in the ring for a long time but totally ignored Ziggler, Jericho and Rhodes who had carried the whole match. Seemed like everyone was just waiting for Cena, Ryback and Sheamus and the others weren't taken seriously. Cena winning does nothing for me though. I always liked the hard working underdog winning the RR like Austin HBk Mysterio and Benoit. Not the already established guy who doesn't need it.
Hey, listen to Blu.
User avatar
Astroblack
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:12 am

Re: Royal Rumble 2013 Discussion

PostPosted by Longshot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 am

Astroblack wrote:You saw how none of the midcarders dominated or really got any shine. Sheamus, Cena and Orton cleared the ring when they came in. Hated how Cole remarked how Sheamus had been in the ring for a long time but totally ignored Ziggler, Jericho and Rhodes who had carried the whole match. Seemed like everyone was just waiting for Cena, Ryback and Sheamus and the others weren't taken seriously. Cena winning does nothing for me though. I always liked the hard working underdog winning the RR like Austin HBk Mysterio and Benoit. Not the already established guy who doesn't need it.


I'm not sure I agree with the first statement. I thought that Bo Dallas in particular got a shine. It's hard to even call him a midcarder at this point since he isn't on the card yet at all, but he came away looking legitimate after lasting so long, brawling with Cena for the majority of his run, and then eliminating Barrett. Cody got a decent bit of shine too I think, but otherwise, yeah I take your point.

I thought they brought Sheamus and Ryback in kind of late in the match. I can understand not wanting all three for the entire match, but more SHOULD have been done to make Ryback look better so when he had his showdown with Cena at the end, it seemed bigger. If they weren't going to have Sheamus win, why not further his budding feud with Orton? It seemed like they avoided each other for the entire match when they were in together. After typing that out, I think I know what bugged me most about the Royal Rumble this year. There wasn't enough storytelling. Storytelling and presentation are WWE's bread and butter, but there wasn't enough of the actual story being told. Sure, we got Ziggler/Jericho for a bit, Cody/Goldust which was great with Cody using some of Goldust's moveset, and we ended up with Barrett/Dallas, but otherwise, what did we get as far as a story goes? The announcers didn't do a great job selling how long certain competitors had lasted or point out any lingering animosity between them. In past Rumbles, we had some sense of an overarching story, the Legacy/Orton Rumble comes to mind, but this year, Rumble felt like more of a stepping stone rather than an event in and of itself.

I don't have a problem with Cena winning really. It isn't what I prefer, but at least it wasn't Sheamus winning again. Cena winning makes sense because in order for him getting a rematch against The Rock to matter, the stakes have to be higher. It sucks that it was as predictable as it was, but it sets up the Mania match succinctly. I would have liked more teases of Cena getting eliminated or of other feuds that could have seemed like they might be for a title, but I am okay with the result a day later.
User avatar
Longshot
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5511
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Washington DC
Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!


Return to WWE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron