2013 US MOTYC review thread

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Re: 2013 US MOTYC review thread

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Watched: Chuck Taylor vs Jon Davis No DQ Evolve 21 6/1/13

Good match. Taylor actually stepped up on his striking and Davis was actually over in his home turf where he also wrestles in FIP. Because of that crowd, Davis was acting more like a face and the whole story was thrown off because of it.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Brian Cage/Anthony Nese Evolve 21 6/1/13

This got real good at the end when Trina Michaels got superkicked, but this didn’t do much for me in the beginning and middle.

Watched: Samuray Del Sol vs Louis Lyndon AAW Path of Redemption 3/1/13

Fine, but I thought Louie wasn’t really pushing the pace of the match and the match lost my attention at points.

Watched: ACH vs Junthai Miller AAW Path of Redemption 3/1/13

Confusing strategy by ACH. He goes after the leg, but doesn’t really stay on it throughout the match. Miller’s screwed because he really doesn't know how to sell it and it ends up making a good idea for match and makes it clumsy.

Watched: Sami Callihan vs Shane Hollister AAW Path of Redemption 3/1/13

I liked this, but I don’t think I loved this. They did beat each other’s ass down, but Shane constantly dicking with Sami especially very early in the match was annoying after a while. It was also a bit no selly at points with the strikes. Good match, but it could have been better.

Watched: ACH vs Samuray Del Sol AAW Path of Redemption 3/1/13

Didn’t like this. It was a waste throughout the first 2/3rds and then the fighting spirit in the end was bullshit.
http://jmanwrestlingenterprisereviews.blogspot.com
Because someone has to review matches outside the WWE. Currently doing ROH.
jman9

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Watched: Daniel Bryan, John Cena & Kane vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins Elimination WWE Raw 5/13/13

This was worse then I thought. Still good with Bryan, but 3 DQs, Kane doing a shitty job of showing hate, and Cena practically sweeping the Shield was BS.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Big Show Extreme Rules WWE Extreme Rules 5/19/13

A bit too much posturing for my tastes and Orton got the victory way too easily.

Watched: John Cena vs Ryback Last Man Standing WWE Extreme Rules 5/19/13

Fine match, but too much “your turn, my turn” stuff. The selling should have been much better.

Listed: Brock Lesnar vs HHH Cage Match WWE Extreme Rules 5/19/13

This was every bit as good as there Summerslam match last year. Still this is the Brock and Paul show. Brock was every bit as outstanding with his leg selling as his stomach selling in Summerslam. Just the detail of not trying to put weight on his leg for the F5 was incredible. HHH was fine working the leg, but whenever he’s doing anything else, it’s meh and not believable. I think there is enough there just because Brock’s existence makes matches that much better.

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs BJ Whitmer ROH Relentless 5/18/13

Nothing match until the final 5 minutes where BJ took this psychotic bump over the top rope and through a table. Only watch it for those last few minutes.

Watched: Matt Taven vs Eddie Edwards ROH San Antonio 6/1/13

It was certainly good, but there was something missing from this. Eddie was over and tortured Matt with some vicious chops and even the crowd was helping. Matt getting pissed off because he made him bleed was hilarious and heelishness shined here. Other then that, there is nothing to this to make this come off as great. They probably have an even better match in them.

Listed: Jay Lethal vs ACH ROH San Antonio 6/1/13

This is better then your usual Lethal affair. Here he has a match similar to his match against Adam Page from last year where he works a wrestler who is lower on the totem pole who puts up a good fight. Hot crowd helps this although not as good of a Lethal performance as ACH who is really smart about pacing the match. Won’t be on the list long. #20.

Watched: Davey Richards vs. Cedric Alexander ROH Live and Let Die 6/8/13

Well that was too damn much. Good thing the J Briscoe/Richards match was blacked out or else I would have really lost my mind. This was there to make Cedric look like he belonged on Davey’s level and it went way too fucking far.

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs. Eddie Edwards ROH Live and Let Die 6/8/13

Blah. I guess they were trying to do a mat vs striker match, but this did nothing for me.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Listed: Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston & Kane vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Raw 5/20/13

I don’t think this is elite level, but it’s pretty damn close. This works because the right people are FIP (Kofi and Bryan) and the right people were the hot tag (Bryan and Kane, surprisingly). The Shield had the ass stomping with the some added stiff shots and a bucklebomb for good measure. I don’t think the Shield have had this moment where you think “Holy Shit” like the TLC match last year, but this was there best match of 2013. #9.

Watched: Sheamus, Randy Orton, Kofi Kingston vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Smackdown 5/24/13

Good match, but probably was better if we had the beginning and the change in control in the middle. The finishing stretch was awesome where Shield members got hit with finishers which left Dean and Kofi, but with Seth distracting Kofi long enough to take advantage. If I had more footage, then I would say yes, but as is, I have to give a slight no.

Watched: Daniel Bryan & Kane vs Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns WWE Raw 5/27/13

Another good match. Usual Shield match, but in a 2 on 2 format. Better then I thought, but the ending with Kane trying to get Bryan back in the corner didn’t really make sense considering how the other Shield matches have been.

Watched: Wade Barrett vs Sheamus WWE Main Event 5/29/13

God damn has there been so much quality in May. It’s these two beating the piss out of each other and Sheamus really gets the best out of Wade. I thought they would go somewhere when Sheamus tweaks his arm, but they went the normal match route. Is it enough to be listed, I say not quite and I think the ending where Sheamus no sells the post shot after match kind of sealed it.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Watched: Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton & Kane vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Raw 6/3/13

Another good one, but probably not as good as other matches in this feud. I understand why they didn’t use Bryan as a FIP, but I didn’t care when Kane was in that role. Some will say that the Shield were trolling Randy’s offense, but it felt like the usual from them. Hot tag was awesome, but too little too late to be listable.

Watched: Ryback vs. Daniel Bryan WWE Raw 6/3/13

Another awesome Bryan performance but it felt similar to there Smackdown match from a month ago at least when it came to roles. The leg work wasn’t as much the focus as the first match, but Ryback’s exhaustion selling didn’t exist. I say this was about the same quality, but I was hoping for a little more.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Watched: Sheamus vs. Antonio Cesaro WWE Main Event 6/5/13

Another good match for these two to hang there hats on. I’m struggling to find anything to make this stand out from the rest except for some arm work in the end, but a fine match to watch on a Wednesday.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 6/10/13

I was close to listing this. I mean it is these two and they’ve had some great stuff back in 08 and possibly 09. I dug Bryan fucking up Seth like it was back then and I liked the idea of Seth trolling his moveset. I say idea because I didn’t think it was Seth’s best match because he is stuck doing restholds. Even then his trolling wasn’t as hot as it could have been.

Honorable Mention: Antonio Cesaro vs Sami Zayn WWE NXT 6/13/13

Another amazing indy pairing in Claudio/Generico. Cesaro fucks Sami’s shit up with his amazing strikes because he got upset a couple weeks ago. Sami did his selling thing and it’s these two so it was sweet. Don’t thinks its top 20 even right now, but this was still awesome. HM.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Antonio Cesaro WWE Smackdown 6/14/13

Physical match. Both were throwing some wicked body shots and stiffing each other. I wish it went longer and wish the finish wasn’t so sudden. I say better then there Main Event match.

Listed: Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton & Kane vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Smackdown 6/14/13

This is a match where you need the context of the other Shield matches to really get a big picture of how great and satisfying of a conclusion this match is for this six man feud. Sure it wasn’t as long at around 10-12 minutes, but the Shield’s control section was more fluid and swift like there match at Elimination Chamber. There matches against Team Hell NO and friend were a little more methodical and a bit restholdy at points, but not here. Oh, and Bryan and Orton had short FIP sections which is also a plus. Kane was OK, but got it together in the end. Best Shield match this year and has a really good shot at being top 20 by the end of the year. #4.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Watched: Matt Jackson vs. Nick Jackson vs. Christina Von Eerie vs. Uhaa Nation vs. Façade vs. Samuray Del Sol vs. A.R. Fox High-Flying FRAY - Ladders Are Legal DGUSA Mercury Rising 2013

Minus the Young Bucks, I didn’t like this. Just a bunch of random messy shit thrown together.

Watched: CIMA, Eita, and Tomahawk TT vs. Swann, Gargano, and Ricochet DGUSA Mercury Rising 2013

OK, but way too long for the DG rookies.

Watched: Shingo vs. Akira Tozawa DGUSA Mercury Rising 2013

Good as a DG house show match and nothing more.

Watched: Scotty Vortekz vs. Danny Havoc 444 Lighttubes Deathmatch CZW Tournament of Death 12 6/8/13

It was what it was, but I was still hoping for more.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:58 am

jman9 wrote:Honorable Mention: Antonio Cesaro vs Sami Zayn WWE NXT 6/13/13

Another amazing indy pairing in Claudio/Generico. Cesaro fucks Sami’s shit up with his amazing strikes because he got upset a couple weeks ago. Sami did his selling thing and it’s these two so it was sweet. Don’t thinks its top 20 even right now, but this was still awesome. HM.

We can always hope the rubber match will be an absolute war though.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by jman9 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:29 pm

They always seemed to get the best out of each other in ROH (and other places). But yeah, there better be a rubber match.

Watched: Chris Sabin vs. Kenny King vs. Suicide Ultimate X TNA Slammiversary XI 6/2/13

It is the usual from the X-Division. You have some nice spots to go along with your convoluted spots and obvious set ups. Fine.

Honorable Mention: Austin Aries & Bobby Roode vs. Chavo Guerrero & Hernandez vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian vs. Gunner & James Storm Elimination TNA Slammiversary XI 6/2/13

On the fence. This was an efficient tag match with 3 tag teams I dig and another new team who were good in the match in Storm/Gunner. The first two eliminations were ass when Bad Attitude were DQed and we missed the resulting pin on Team Mexico. The end run just barely saved this and will be HMed.

Watched: Gail Kim vs Teryn Terrell Last Man Standaing TNA Slammiversary XI 6/2/13

Good match. Taryn did take some good bumps, but I wasn’t feeling it with her elbows. Gail carried this with her lunatic bumping especially her corner charge into the chair/post and the ace crusher off the fucking stage. They had a good story around the ring post figure four, but they weren’t really sold by either. I don’t see a great match here.

Watched: Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles TNA Slammiversary XI 6/2/13

This was actually…good (thanks to AJ). In the confines of an Angle match, AJ was just really crisp with everything and attacking Angle’s leg. Sure he didn’t stick to it the whole match, but Angle was going to do his Angle finishing run anyway so it was for the best. Kurt’s selling was ok as opposed to non existent. Better selling from Kurt would have probably made this the best Angle singles match in years. Still better then I thought.

Watched: Sting vs Bully Ray No Holds Barred TNA Slammiversary XI 6/2/13

Different then the usual with the wood being exposed under the ring, but Sting ate way too much offense.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Watched: Curtis Axel vs. The Miz vs. Wade Barrett WWE Payback 6/16/13

Good if you can get past Axel’s control section. The finishing run was really good in the end, but I wish they would have cut the middle out.

Watched: Chris Jericho vs CM Punk WWE Payback 6/16/13

The only thing that was mildly interesting was Punk slowly getting out of the Walls of Jericho at the end. Other then that, this blew.

Listed: Alberto Del Rio vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Payback 6/16/13

Brilliant match. Dolph has the concussion and Del Rio goes after it the entire match with Ziggler selling every move like death. Add the double turn to this and this stands out from the rest. I say this is near the edge as a MOTYC with Cesaro/Kofi. #9.

Watched: Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Payback 6/16/13

On the low end of this feud. Too restholdy.

Watched: John Cena vs. Ryback 3 Stages of Hell WWE Payback 6/16/13

This was fun in a crash tv type of way, but the selling by Ryback was horrible.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton Street Fight Raw 6/24/13

Good for the result, but this just never clicked for me.

Watched: Austin Aries vs Manik vs Chris Sabin TNA Impact 7/4/13

Manic is Suicide for the record. But it doesn’t matter because he gets taken out so it is mostly Aries/Sabin. It’s good, but Sabin would no sell moves at times.

Watched: Generation Me vs Bad Influence Ladder Match TNA Hardcore Justice 2 7/5/13 taped 3/19/13

Low end of Young Bucks matches. The commentary just stunk up the joint.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Watched: Arik Cannon & Darin Corbin vs. Jigsaw & The Shard Tag World Grand Prix 2013 Night 2 5/18/13

It got interesting at the end, but the crap involving the slow-mo felt misplaced. That’s the one comedy spot that needs to stop.

Watched: Eddie Kingston vs. Archibald Peck Tag World Grand Prix 2013 Night 2 5/18/13

The post match storyline was more interesting then the match. Here they just had a match and Archie’s offense was pretty weak for the most part. I was hoping for more of a storyline involving the backfist, but it felt like Kingston’s run of the mill title matches in 2012.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. Jigsaw & The Shard Tag World Grand Prix 2013 Night 2 5/18/13

There was a good match in there somewhere, but I thought they dragged out the FIP section for a 14 minute match. Matt sold the leg work fine, but JisShard didn’t really have the most compelling control section.

Listed: Fire Ant, Green Ant, and assailANT vs. Blaster McMassive, Max Smashmaster, and Flex Rumblecrunch Chikara Aniversario Never Compromise 6/2/13

Would have been interesting to review Angelosetti/Saturyne, but that was preshow and I can’t find it.

This was a super fun match. Big guys squash the Colony, Colony sells there asses off and does crazy spots to topple the trees. Up there with the best Shield matches although probably not a MOTYC. Probably need to rewatch it, but it is on the list for now. #11.

Listed: Shane Matthews and Scott Parker vs. Jigsaw and The Shard Chikara Aniversario Never Compromise 6/2/13

Did not expect this to be as sweet as it was. If this was the last Chikara show, then it feels right that they had a tag match that went out like this and with me finally liking a 3.0 match since I started these reviews. Matthews selling of the leg was OK, but his subtle sells of the leg when say picking up somebody helped. I say above all of the other JigShard matches. New #11.

Watched: Eddie Kingston vs Icarus Chikara Aniversario Never Compromise 6/2/13

I think the match was good while also missing something. I’ll say this, Icarus offense in this match was so much better then what it usually is. He had his back worked on, and his selling wasn’t as good as it could have been. Eddie was his usual self, but he is so much better as a babyface then a heel. The angle at the end was interesting although it wouldn’t have changed my opinion of the match. I guess the cliffhanger ending means that Chikara will come back in some point in the future or they would have just let Icarus win.

Watched: Davey Richards vs Mixed Martial Archie AAW Day of Defiance 5/17/13

Comedy MOTY.

Watched: Davey Richards and Kyle O’Reilly vs Michael Elgin and ACH AAW Day of Defiance 5/17/13

Good match I guess. Mostly about the Richards/Elgin feud, but you had some decent comedy in the early going. ACH’s mid section was worked over and wasn’t sold. Too many better matches today.

Watched: Samuray Del Sol vs Silas Young AAW Day of Defiance 5/17/13

This happened. I seriously don’t remember one notable thing about this match.

Listed: Shane Hollister vs Sami Callihan Last Man Standing AAW Day of Defiance 5/17/13

This was quite the slugfest. Except for some chairs this was just two wrestlers beating the shit out of each other with a rib work vs leg work story with great selling from both. Don’t think it’s the pinnacle of this style because it did go a while and there interference that could have been cut, but I finally got my first listable Sami match of 2013. #20.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Watched: Randy Orton vs Christian WWE Smackdown 7/5/13

This was ok. The match played off there multiple encounters in 2011. Good Christian match, but Randy was in cruise control.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus WWE Raw 7/8/13

Good match from another awesome rivalry of years past (or 1 year). Just there usual good match with these two beating each other down with no story to it.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Antonio Cesaro WWE Main Event 7/10/13

Nice match, although again it lacks a story. The DQ finish was weird although good in protecting Cesaro.

Listed: Daniel Bryan vs Christian WWE Smackdown 7/12/13

Very damn good match. This was prime 2009 Christian at his best with the great selling and crisp strikes. Bryan was good, but he had those back and forth tendencies that he had last year where he would try to take back control too quickly. Still an awesome Christian performance. #16.

Watched: Usos vs Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns WWE Money in the Bank 2013 7/14/13

It took a bit too long to get going and we ended up missing the hot tag. It got better as it went along, but I kind of wish they made this more of a sprint.

Honorable Mention: Dean Ambrose vs Damien Sandow vs Cody Rhodes vs Fandango vs Jack Swagger vs Antonio Cesaro vs Wade Barrett Ladder Match WWE Money in the Bank 2013 7/14/13

Quality ladder match. Had some good original content in it while also keeping a great pace to it. The theme was mostly teamwork with Cesaro/Swagger, Rhodes/Sandow, and eventually the Shield. No story to it, but this was a nice spotfest. HM.

Honorable Mention: Dolph Ziggler vs Alberto Del Rio WWE Money in the Bank 2013 7/14/13

Very good match with a shitty finish. One of the few times that something wasn’t sold, because it got over the fact that Dolph was fully healed from the concussion. Everything in between that was money. The finish was executed well, but it was still a bullshit finish to a title match. I guess the point was that psychos would do what AJ did and thus it made sense in her mind. Still, another match that I dug. HM.

Watched: John Cena vs Mark Henry WWE Money in the Bank 2013 7/14/13

Perfectly fine. It was a formula match for both wrestlers with Cena’s trying to AA Henry and Henry methodically picking apart Cena. I’m fine with calling Henry a good wrestler, but the love for him gets ridiculous at times.

Watched: CM Punk vs Rob Van Dam vs Randy Orton vs Sheamus vs Christian vs Daniel Bryan Ladder Match WWE Money in the Bank 2013 7/14/13

I’d barely call this good. I felt like the wrong people were highlighted in the match and the match was met with apathy. The stuff with Axel attacking Bryan made no sense since they didn’t make an effort to explain that he was trying to help Punk.

Watched: Gail Kim vs Teryn Terrell Ladder Match TNA Impact 7/11/13

Not too bad of a match. Had some good callbacks to there feud and LMS match and some clever bits here and there. The bumps were scarier because these two wrestlers were so small but there strikes didn’t look good again. I dig the WWE divas over the TNA KOs honestly.

Watched: Austin Aries vs Bobby Roode TNA Impact 7/18/13

About on the same level as there matches last year. This one was more spotty, but it was ok.

Honorable Mention: Jay Lethal, Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. Matt Taven, Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish ROH Relentless 5/18/13

On the fence on this one. This was a fun match for the heel team showing ass for the face team and for keeping my interest through the middle. End run was fun as well, although I question Lethal no selling an axe kick. I’m slowly getting on the Taven and reDRagon bandwagon if they keep having fun matches like this and not try to do any ROH epics. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Watched: Ruckus & BLK Jeez vs. Alex Reynolds & John Silver CZW Proving Grounds 2013 5/11/13

Solid, but nothing noteworthy. I was more impressed with Silver then Reynolds.

Watched: Alex Colon vs Shane Strickland CZW New Heights 2013 7/13/13

OK, but this formula CZW juniors match has been done better.

Watched: Azieral & Bandido Jr. VS. John Silver & Alex Reynolds CZW New Heights 2013 7/13/13

Good. It lacks the standout moments to make it great, but I’m glad I watched it.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Roderick Strong ROH Honor in the Heart of Texas 6/1/13

Good match. I bit no selly, but for a regular match between these two, it was perfectly fine.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Watched: Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards vs Tadarius Thomas & ACH ROH Best in the World 2013 6/22/13

I’ve been trying to watch this show for a while, but the show I was seeing online was jump cutting too much…is finally fixed. This was a good tag. It’s a better use of the Wolves when they are just having fun and not trying to put on an epic. TD is slowly getting better with the kicks and ACH tends to thrive in these tag sprints. The Wolves have had better tags though.

Watched: Michael Elgin Vs Tommaso Ciampa ROH Best in the World 2013 6/22/13

Weird match. This felt like a match where there wasn’t any build or structure to it where they went straight to the finishers. Not surprisingly, it was overkilly and the crowd was mostly apathetic toward it. Disappointing.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Matt Hardy No DQ ROH Best in the World 2013 6/22/13

It was alright. I dug the beginning with Steen’s dickishness and Matt’s epic punches, but it doesn’t last the whole match. The issue with Hardy is that he doesn’t have enough moves to fill out the time of a match and then just ends up repeating them as a means of getting heat. It just doesn’t come off as believable when he beats Steen even with the run-ins.

Honorable Mention: Roderick Strong & Eddie Edwards vs. Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano PWG Is Your Body Ready 6/15/13

Usual very good spotfest tag you expect in PWG. Minus the shrugging off of some offense, everybody just seemed to be on point in this. Just the type of match you want in your midcard. HM.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. AR Fox & Samurai Del Sol PWG Is Your Body Ready 6/15/13

Innovative, but frustrating match. Remember the tiny issues of the last match? It was worse here, especially when one of the Bucks would take several moves in a row and then pop back up way too quickly to start the “kill someone with a kick” train. Fox also doesn’t have the instinct to keep a pace up unless he is hitting his spots and desperately needs to cut back on his high spots. I just don’t love it.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Drake Younger PWG Is Your Body Ready 6/15/13

Good match, but so close to being on my pimp list. Steen carries a good chunk of the match with him being more occupied arguing with a fan then focusing on Drake. It builds well to some psychotic spots and gets even more fun. The finish soured me. The ref bump, Cole belt shot, Drake’s Landing on Cole (which will probably not be sold), and eventually the backslide finish was not the way it should have ended. Better ending and may have listed it, but the ending comes off as hypocritical

Watched: Adam Cole vs Sami Callihan 60-minute Ironman Match PWG Is Your Body Ready 6/15/13

This… was not that good. This felt like a lot of shit being thrown at the wall and them not having enough stuff to fill the time. Hell it barely had any memorable moments to this. Not even close to the Callihan/Younger ironman match from last year.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Watched: reDRagon vs Forever Hooligans ROH on SBG 4/6/13

Awful.

Watched: Karl Anderson vs Michael Elgin ROH on SBG 5/4/13

This happened. Elgin sold the initial leg work well, but was forgotten about in the end.

Watched: Kyle O’Reilly vs Davey Richards ROH on SBG 5/4/13

I thought this was better then it had any right to be. This was fought more along the lines of a grudge match. This also had the arm work vs leg work storyline where the selling from both was not that good. There were some memorable spots, but they weren’t really sold in the long run. This was surprisingly better then Elgin/Anderson because this at least had life to it.

Watched: Matt Taven vs Eddie Edwards ROH on SBG 7/6/13

Good match. Nothing deep, but I dug it. Also, ROH needs to seriously fix there audio issues.

Watched: Eddie Edwards vs. Kyle O'Reilly ROH Reclamation Night One 7/12/13

Good, but kind of a cliché type match. This had the keep the arm work type spots, knucklelock spots, and the snapmare/kick to the back spots that were all in the first half. Sure they tried to put wrinkles on them, but it still all ended in a stalemate anyway. It got better with the arm work and arm selling, but I thought there was a bit too much no selling to prevent me from listing it.

Watched: Matt Taven vs. Adam Cole vs. Jay Lethal vs. Michael Elgin ROH Reclamation Night One 7/12/13

I think this got good by the end, but this wasn’t much through most of it.

Watched: Davey Richards vs. Bobby Fish ROH Reclamation Night One 7/12/13

Worser version of Edwards/O’Reilly with a shitty finish to boot.

Watched: Silas Young vs Tomasso Ciampa ROH Reclamation Night Two 7/13/13

It was fine. Interesting that they went in the direction that they did with the restart, but I kind of dug it.

Watched: Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards vs. Jay Lethal & Michael Elgin ROH Reclamation Night Two 7/13/13

It was OK. Like most of these matches today, there just isn’t any story to it.

Listed: QT Marshall vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH on SBG 7/13/13

Never would have thought this would be as good as it was. This was a grudge match of sorts with Ciampa hitting some of his best knees in a while. The whole story around Ciampa’s knee was choice and Ciampa did well in selling it. This is probably the second best ROH match this year just based on that it had a story, had memorable moments, and had no filler in it. #16.

Watched: BJ Whitmer, Jay Lethal, Kevin Steen & Michael Elgin vs. Cliff Compton, Jimmy Jacobs, Rhett Titus & Rhino Steel Cage Warfare ROH on SBG 7/27/13

It was good, for a blowoff. The heel team was weak sauce, but Jacobs did his best to carry it. It had it’s moments, but it took a while to get going. There have been too many better Wargames style matches.

Watched: Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero vs. Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly ROH on SBG 8/3/13

Well, we end the day how we begun. Better match and maybe even good. However, you still had the stupidity of the Hooligans doing there comedy spots in a title match which means that there was a ceiling to this.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs Silas Young ROH All-Star Extravaganza V 8/3/13

Good match. Some good stiffness, but nothing outstanding.

Watched: Matt Taven vs Roderick Strong ROH All-Star Extravaganza V 8/3/13

It got good in the end, but it was still a bit too back and forth in the home stretch.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Paul London ROH All-Star Extravaganza V 8/3/13

Good match, but I thought it would be better. This followed the same template as Elgin/ACH in a big vs small match. London was good, but Elgin wasn’t as great as he usually is. He had a weak middle and his strikes weren’t as crisp. The fact that there is a template for this type match makes it easier to drop this.

Watched: C&C Wrestling Factory vs Young Bucks vs Adrenaline Rush ROH All-Star Extravaganza V 8/3/13

Good little spotfest. Not clean enough to reach that next level, but I definitely want more matches between them.

Watched: Forever Hooligans vs American Wolves ROH All-Star Extravaganza V 8/3/13

This wouldn’t fucking end. Christ.

Watched: BJ Whitmer and The American Wolves vs Tomasso Ciampa, Kevin Steen and Michael Elgin ROH on SBG 8/10/13

Good fun match, but too much Davey in it.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Watched: Austin Aries vs AJ Styles TNA Impact 8/1/13

This was pretty damn good as I expected. This was mostly worked even as a spotfest, but a slightly better representation then you usually see especially with the crazy stretch run. The final pin was outlandish and didn’t come off as natural and the beginning was a bit awkward. That prevents me from listing it.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Austin Aries vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Kazarian Ladder match TNA Impact 8/15/13

Good ladder match. Far from perfect, but it wasn’t the house show effort people were saying it was. It did drag in the middle however, but they gave good effort out there. Just not memorable enough.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 7/15/13

Another good match in there feud, but probably there least. This followed the same template as the MITB match, but since this was there third match in the feud; you can’t go down the same path as the previous match. The MITB match was the exception to the rule, this was good match where the head work didn’t really matter. Still good.

Watched: Rob Van Dam vs Chris Jericho WWE Raw 7/15/13

Two things I took out of this was Jericho had one of his worst performances yet, and that RVD had a surprisingly good performance. RVD’s performance surprisingly carried this into a decent to good throwback to 2002.

Honorable Mention: Daniel Bryan vs Antonio Cesaro WWE Raw 7/22/13

Very good, although nowhere close to MOTYC level. We miss a chunk of the beginning and the story isn’t really obvious. The best way I can describe it is Cesaro controls with his uppercuts and chinlocks while Bryan uses dragon screw leg whips and tying Cesaro up to get offense. Other then that it is kind of a spotfest, but a really well done one, because they sell the moves. Not the best they’ve had this year, but still really good. HM.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Rob Van Dam vs Christian WWE Smackdown 8/2/13

This was good. Christian and RVD carried the pace of this with a lot of nice memorable spots. Short fun match, but doesn’t have anything to bring it over the top.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Rob Van Dam WWE Smackdown 8/9/13

Another nice little match involving RVD. Nothing to write home about, but it was fine.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs Christian WWE Smackdown 8/9/13

Ok, but there was no story to this. I have no idea why they had the match here when they have a match at Summerslam.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Watched: Luke Harper vs. Sheamus WWE NXT 7/25/13

Some good rough clubbering, but kind of an awkward match. They have a better match in them, but Sheamus has had better matches this year.

Listed: Alberto Del Rio vs Christian WWE Summerslam 8/18/13

Brilliant match. Del Rio fucked up Christian’s world several times in this match and may have been one of his best performances yet. Del Rio turning into the Mexican Tajiri along with his aggressive arm work is really freaking awesome. Christian’s arm selling was not on the sublime level, but it was still very good. Maybe some offense got shrugged off at points, but other then that this may be up there with best Del Rio stuff this year. #10.

Listed: Brock Lesnar vs CM Punk No DQ WWE Summerslam 8/18/13

This was really fucking rad. Brock beats the shit out of Punk in disgusting fashion and Punk has to go to the air or go for huge head shots to take Brock off of his feet. There was a degree of midsection work, but was sold as Punk having the wind knocked out of him then having his ribs destroyed so I was cool with it. But fuck that, this is about that David vs Goliath matchup with the occasional Paul interference with Punk taking his eye off the ball. This was a match that went from very good, to freaking incredible the further the match went along and was well built on top of that. Not MOTY, but pretty damn close. #2.

Listed: John Cena vs Daniel Bryan WWE Summerslam 8/18/13

Not as great as the first two Summerslam matches, but still very good. Cena did about as well as a man with a baseball sized tumor on his arm as he possibly could. Totally stayed hold for hold with Bryan throughout and put Bryan over like a million bucks in the end. Kind of lacked that rich story to put it over the top (that stupid arm tumor) and some moves didn’t look as good as I would have liked. In the top 20 for now, but probably won’t stay there. #19.

Listed: Antonio Cesaro vs Sami Zayn 2/3 Falls WWE NXT 8/21/13

OK, even if this is rumored to have 10 minutes cut from it, this is still pretty god damn incredible and stands up there with the other Summerslam matches from that same week. You probably won’t get it on first watch, but the match revolves around the callbacks to the feud as well as Zayn using cradles vs Cesaro using the chinlock. The third fall was the usual insanity with Cesaro hitting his best Swiss Death ever on the fact that he almost lost Zayn. God damn NXT owning shit. #3 for now. But this is getting harder to list these matches.
Last edited by jman9 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 am

Glad to see you liked Summerslam as much as I did. I thought Cena/Bryan could have been a bit higher, I especially liked the finish with the flying knee. Daniel Bryan having a KO strike finisher added to the move set is awesome in my opinion.

I want to see your Cesaro/Zayn review from their 2/3 Falls Match. It's good, but probably getting a little overhyped by the internet.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 am

Look above. Again, it's a slow burn match where each wrestler has a strategy instead of doing random shit and both know how to time there offense and bust out the big moves in the home stretch. I say this is better then the majority of the famous rivalries in the indies (Danielson/Nigel, Danielson/Homicide, Whitmer/Jacobs). It depends on whether you can buy the chinlock as a finisher, Cesaro has a tight chinlock. Those strategies play throughout the match.

Honorable Mention: Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 8/26/13

I thought this was better then there June match. This was a better spotfest with Seth taking awesome bumps like over the announce table, keeping the restholds to a minimum, and just timing all of his offense well. They did cut away from the finish which sucks, but the fancam is here in all its “Perfect” glory. Not the best today, but nothing will probably top the incredible stuff I’ve seen today. Still very good. HM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8SZ4A9eiE
Final move

Watched: Titus O’Neill/Darren Young vs Antonio Cesaro/Jack Swagger WWE Main Event 8/28/13

Good match. Good control by the Real Americans, but the finish felt a bit awkward.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Antonio Cesaro WWE Superstars 8/31/13

This is a tough one. The story of the match was Swagger interfering against Ziggler when the ref’s back was turned. On that principle it’s better then there Main Event match in July. Minus the Cesaro staples and that tilt a whirl sleeper, there weren’t really that many highlights to it. I fell bad, but I’m going to say no. Still good however.
Last edited by jman9 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Watched: Forever Hooligans vs Young Bucks ROH Manhattan Mayhem V 8/17/13

Good because of the Young Bucks. The Hooligans offense would be better if they just got the comedy spots out of the way in the beginning or didn’t have them at all. Stretch run was good, but YB have executed better.

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs Mike Bennett ROH Manhattan Mayhem V 8/17/13

There was very good match somewhere in there, but Mike is not good enough to pull this match off. It was a Ciampa style match where the opponent goes after the knee like the match against QT Marshall. Mike just isn’t over in anyway to get the strategy over and me and the audience just doesn’t care for any of it. At least they were smart on where to end it.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Karl Anderson ROH Manhattan Mayhem V 8/17/13

This is going to be more notable for the Hacksaw Jim Duggan catcalling and the Benoit chants. That is one of the more embarrassing crowds I’ve seen in a while. Other then that, it was OK.

Watched: Alex Colon, Biff Busick, & Joe Gacy vs. Greg Excellent, Matt Tremont, & Shane Strickland CZW Tangled Web 6 8/10/13

Good match, but they lost it in the end. Fun match otherwise.

Watched: Azrieal and Bandido Jr vs Alex Reynolds and John Silver CZW Tangled Web 6 8/10/13

Good again, but like there last match, they don’t blow me away with anything. OK, maybe that Tope Powerbomb into the guardrail was cool, but it still doesn’t feel outstanding or anything.

Watched: AR Fox vs Andrew Everett CZW Tangled Web 6 8/10/13

Usual good CZW Fox defense made by the opponent. The matches are to “your turn, my turnish” to be anything above good.

Honorable Mention: Nation of Intoxication vs. Drew Blood, Rory Mondo & Ron Mathis Tangled Web match CZW Tangled Web 6 8/10/13

Considering we haven’t had that many great matches with CZW this year, this is probably there best. It was a deathmatch brawl where they go the right amount of time and have plenty of crazy shit in it. It’s similar to that opening match from Cage of Death last year. Not better then Yim/Excellent or any of the CZW Calihan matches, but you’ll enjoy this. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Honorable Mention: Willie Mack/B-Boy/Candice LeRae vs. Joey Ryan/Ryan Taylor/Peter Avalon PWG Ten 8/9/13

This was a really fun opening match. Just balls-to-the-wall action from the SoCal players. This also had some of the best Candice/Ryan stuff yet. You do have to let some of the stuff that would cause a disqualification slide in this, but was such a blast. HM.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. AR Fox PWG Ten 8/9/13

Another good Elgin vs high flyer match. Fox still leaves a lot to be desired, and he didn’t really die as much as I thought he would. Elgin guided him well, but it was still a formula match for him.

Watched: Paul London/Brian Kendrick vs. Chuck Taylor/ Johnny Gargano PWG Ten 8/9/13

Another good match. Weird structure in that there didn’t seem to be a middle to the match. Given just a normal structure, this could be great, but it just wasn’t there today.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs. Kyle O'Reilly PWG Ten 8/9/13

Damn good technical match. Some of the better mat wrestling I’ve seen in PWG in a while with some very beautiful counter wrestling. But this was one of the few times I wish they didn’t have a story to the match. Kyle did arm work, but it never really mattered in the grand scheme of things and wasn’t really sold anyway. Take that out I could see putting it as an HM, but the counter productive story just barely takes this off.

Listed: Adam Cole vs. Kevin Steen vs. Drake Younger 3-Way Guerrilla Warfare PWG Ten 8/9/13

This surprisingly owned. It’s not that these three are not capable of it, it’s that Younger can take a bit too much shit at times because of his deathmatch roots. The 3-Way stip actually made the kickouts not as outrageous. They mostly structured it with Drake and Kevin beating the shit out of Adam for 5 minutes until the 3 way eventually started where it was mostly psychotic moves on awkward surfaces. The final turnbuckle brainbuster was insane in that Adam bounced off the turnbuckle and flew backward onto the outside. The final pin pissed me off in a good way. Best 3-Way I’ve seen in a while. #16.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. Inner City Machine Guns vs. DojoBros 3-Way Ladder Match PWG Ten 8/9/13

Pretty much what you would expect from these teams in PWG’s anniversary show ladder match. Just a spotfest with no feud overseeing it like the stuff with Rick Knox last year. It had its share of crazy spots, but the ending felt very anticlimactic. Slight no, but you should at least see it once.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Watched: Shane Strickland/AR Fox vs Alex Colon/Andrew Everett CZW Déjà vu in Ohio 9/7/13

If this match was in front of a hotter crowd, was a bit more cleaner, and didn’t have a lame finish, then this would been listable. The end run ranged from awesome to terrible at points. I wanted to love this, but it just wasn’t there.

Watched: David Starr/JT Dunn vs. Azrieal/Bandido Jr. CZW Down With the Sickness 9/14/13

Damn good under ten minute tag and better then the stuff involving the Beaver Boys. The issue I have is that I can’t really point to one thing to make this more then good, but do want to see more of Dunn/Starr as a team.

Watched: Drew Gulak vs. Chris Dickinson CZW Down With the Sickness 9/14/13

Damn good again in a different way. First time seeing these two and I liked both of them although both can be flawed. The match was kind of shoot stylish and had great struggle to pull off maneuvers. The stuff involving the leg went to waste when Chris didn’t sell it. These two are capable of having great matches with other opponents, but this wasn’t quite it.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Andrew Everett vs Alex Colon vs Shane Strickland Ladder match CZW Down With the Sickness 9/14/13

I liked parts of this and it had some memorable bumps in this, but you still have the usual selling issues. Granted they still sold on the back end of the match, but it still could have been better. They could have just cut the beginning out, because it felt like nothing was accomplished. The middle is where all the crazy shit happens and the end is where everyone is worn out and hurt. I say good, but I am kind of tiring of these matches.

Watched: Austin Aries vs Christopher Daniels TNA Impact 8/29/13

Another one of those “doing there thing” type matches with two good wrestlers. Perfectly fine.

Watched: Austin Aries vs AJ Styles TNA Impact 9/12/13

Another good match. They based the match around each hitting there finishers which was fine, but these Impact matches still come off as pretty back and forth.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs Magnus TNA Impact 9/12/13

Better then it looked on paper. Roode had a faster and better control section then usual and did a good job of making Magnus look really good. Magnus’s selling was a bit iffy, but this was good.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Magnus TNA Impact 9/12/13

Good again although the first part of the match was used to get over EGO and was useless in the end. The St. Louis crowd though rocked and made these Impact matches better then usual.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs Mark Briscoe ROH Best in the World 2013 6/22/13

I had a clipped down version of it, but even with that, I don’t think it was even close to there best. From the matwork, to the strikes, and to the moves, it just felt like a watered down version of there rivalry.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Roderick Strong ROH Manhattan Mayhem V 8/17/13

This would have been so much better if they had an under 10 minute bombfest instead of just slowing the match down after the hot start. Could have been something special, but wasn’t.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

Watched: Adam Cole/Young Bucks vs. TJ Perkins/Forever Hooligans PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2013 Night 1 8/30/13

Good although far from perfect. Some of the usual awesomeness of Young Bucks matches, but it felt like Bucks/Cole weren’t on the same page at points. Also would have been better without the Rocky FIP section.

Watched: Brian Cage vs. Drake Younger PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2013 Night 2 8/31/13

Nice seven minute sprint. Drake probably could have got more mileage out of selling his back but since he’s Drake, that wasn’t happening.

Listed: Kevin Steen vs. Johnny Gargano PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2013 Night 2 8/31/13

This was pretty awesome. They did well in telling the story Johnny focusing on the arm without putting so much focus on it, that Steen is forced to sell it big time. There’s some back work in this on Johnny and the selling was respectable although far from the greatest. The timing is what stands out from this and everything felt earned in this. The ending was just out of this world. Don’t know where it will end up, but this feels like an upper echelon match. #16.

Watched: Adam Cole & Young Bucks vs. Candice LeRae, AR Fox & Rich Swann PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2013 Night 2 8/31/13

Although fun, I think this got a bit too ridiculous especially after that double ballplex to both Bucks. Had elements from the 6 man from TEN, but kind of had the feel of the Night 1 6 man in that you didn’t have six enjoyable workers and wasn’t the cleanest match at points with some communication issues. I would rather watch the TEN match over this one if I need a Candice fix.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Kyle O’Reilly PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2013 Night 2 8/31/13

Good in a different type of way. Both were exhausted and kept it mostly grounded with some submission attempts and both beating each other up while still selling. Some questionable decisions like both getting on a knee while the other strikes them, Kyle’s stupid rebound spot, and Kyle’s triangle not really being the tightest. Better then last year’s final, but there isn’t enough good stuff to go all in on this one.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Honorable Mention: Jack Swagger vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT 9/4/13

As far as storyless matches that are not really high spot oriented, this is probably in the top 5% in the WWE. This was helped by the really hot NXT crowd and Zayn’s outstanding selling and timing down the stretch. Jack had some good knees, but he was pretty much carried otherwise. Like I said, the other elements elevate a good match into a very good match. HM.

Watched: Kofi Kingston vs Curtis Axel WWE Smackdown 9/6/13

Decent I guess. Actually, not really.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Goldust WWE Raw 9/9/13

Without question good because of Goldust and his amazing punches, but I feel it just falls short of that next threshold. I guess to compare it to Sami/Swagger, the timing was a bit too quick and there wasn’t enough selling. In the context of 1992 WCW, it would stand out more, but I’m not all in on it.

Honorable Mention: Antonio Cesaro vs Kofi Kingston WWE Main Event 9/11/13

That’s it, Cesaro’s the wrestler of the year just on the basis of getting two very good matches out of Kofi Kingston. It was pretty much a strength vs speed match, and my god was Cesaro bringing the strength. Kofi was good to be fair, but this was the Cesaro show otherwise. Better then the middle tier Shield matches, I say no, but it could have a shot when I rearrange the list. I’ll say HM for now.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton WWE Night of Champions 9/15/13

It was…ok. I was expecting a little more depth then just a twenty minute Bryan Raw match with the added crutch of not being on the same page with Orton.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs Roman Reigns WWE Raw 9/16/13

Meh. Not really the right type of match for Roman to be in. He sold his leg decently in the early going, but he brought nothing when it came to controlling the match to the point where they were talking about the Bryan/Orton match from yesterday. That says all you really need to know about this match.

Watched: Goldust/Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns WWE Battleground 10/6/13

Good match, but I feel Goldust fever is clouding everybody’s judgment of the match. Compared to other Shield matches, I have a hard time calling it better then there match against Team Hell No. These matches tend to get a bit too restholdy at times. It’s seen as special because the whole Rhodes family is there, but this doesn’t scream classic in the least.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH Death Before Dishonor XI 9/20/13

Good little bombfest, although I am starting to see the flaws in Ciampa with overusing the knee offense (see McGuinness’s lariats and Hero’s elbows). Both executed well otherwise but I thought there were too many dangerous spots that weren’t really built up properly or sold in a meaningful way.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin ROH Death Before Dishonor XI 9/20/13

Heatless for the most part. Not really the wisest move to do a slow burn type of match after Ciampa/Cole unless the matches switched placements. The finish was also similar to the Gargano/Steen match and not in a good way.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Akira Tozawa DGUSA Enter the Dragon 2013: Fourth Anniversary 7/28/13

Holy shit, DGUSA. This match was condensed because of the angle and was better off for it, but it doesn’t mean it is great. The match was well built and didn’t overstay its welcome, but Akira annoys me with his million pump kicks and no selling, and Gargano is not really doing it for me as a heel when he’s controlling the middle. Cool in parts, but it could have been better.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Watched: Davey Richards vs Matt Taven ROH Road to Greatness Night 1 9/6/13

You know what, this was good. They structured the match right by not doing any leg work on Taven until the end and was actually sold well. There were points where they weren’t on point on there strikes and the crowd were not biting on nearfalls because of it. Davey didn’t bother me as much as the commentary and the interference.

Honorable Mention: Tomasso Ciampa/Adam Cole vs Kevin Steen/Michael Elgin ROH Road to Greatness Night 1 9/6/13

I really dug this. Most will probably see this as kind of a house show spotfest(which it was), and that the reffing wasn’t really good in this, but this had too many fun moments to discount it. HM.

Honorable Mention: Davey Richards vs. Michael Bennett ROH Road to Greatness Night 2 9/7/13

WTF, this is very good. How is that fucking possible you ask. The answers; the match was of the Davey/Taven match from last night, the match had a focus with Michael going after the neck and Davey selling it well, Michael throwing some awesome potatoes at Davey, Davey trying to use the Octopus as a base to get the win, some good comedy and callback spots that got paid off thru the match, and Davey not doing his worst tendencies of submission trading, fighting spirit, and finisher overkill. Miracle match of the year. HM.

Watched: Matt Taven vs. Jay Lethal ROH Road to Greatness Night 2 9/7/13

It got good in the end, but this just reminded me how much I don’t like Lethal

Watched: reDRagon vs. Alabama Attitude vs. Adrenaline Rush vs. Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander ROH Road to Greatness Night 2 9/7/13

Good little spotfest. Far from perfect, but as a little tribute to early 2000’s spotfest wrestling, it was cool.

Honorable Mention: Adam Cole vs Roderick Strong Ringmaster’s Challenge ROH Road to Greatness Night 2 9/7/13

1st fall- Regular
2nd fall-Submission
3rd fall- 15 Minute Ironman

Coin flip on this one. Every fall (minus the last fall which came too easily) made perfect sense in it and the story did progress nicely. You had some nice home run shots, and then you had some questionable Cole superkicks. I think the match was structured well enough that I can list this. HM.

Watched: Forever Hooligans vs. The American Wolves ROH Death Before Dishonor XI 9/20/13

Heatless and awful.

Watched: Roderick Strong vs. Ricky Marvin ROH Death Before Dishonor XI 9/20/13

Weird match. Marvin is bigger now then I remembered, but it made all of his agile spots that much more impressive. Marvin may have injured his leg, but it also seemed like he was gassing out. Strong just felt like warm body in this heatless match.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin ROH Death Before Dishonor XI 9/20/13

It was good for a match as heatless as this was and was better then there BOLA 2012 final match. Elgin was good with his hurt neck although I think he took too much in the end. Could have been worse with this awful crowd.

Watched: Matt Taven vs. Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong ROH A New Dawn 9/28/13

It was what it was.

Watched: reDRagon vs. C&C Wrestle Factory vs. Forever Hooligans ROH on SBG 10/19/13

This existed.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Watched: Magnus vs. E.G.O Gauntlet Match TNA Impact 10/3/13

All the matches were short, but were all fine. Needed a way better crowd to stand out more.

Watched: Austin Aries vs Jeff Hardy TNA Impact 10/10/13

Good match. Aries did his head work, but Jeff’s selling wasn’t all that great. Only for those who like this match up.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs. Kurt Angle TNA Bound for Glory 2013 10/20/13

Sucked ass.

Honorable Mention: AJ Styles vs. Bully Ray No DQ TNA Bound for Glory 2013 10/20/13

I’m on the fence on this one. It’s still Styles vs Ray and it has the excellent pacing where no one really has bad selling. It’s like the best possible “less is more” match I can think of… but is surrounded by the ridiculous run in booking. The run ins were weird because all of them didn’t seem to give there full effort to interfere or just did something once and didn’t do anything after that without them being neutralized. Either go all in with the run ins and have AJ take them out or don’t have any. You just can’t half ass it. I could have ignored this, but AJ and Ray world class performances in it and deserves an HM.

Watched: Kurt Angle vs. Bobby Roode TNA Impact 10/31/13

Sucked ass again.

Watched: Jeff Hardy vs Chris Sabin Full Metal Mayhem TNA Impact 11/7/13

Fine little hardcore match. Some cool stuff, but nothing substantial.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs Dolph Ziggler WWE Smackdown 2/1/13

This was damn good. Del Rio beat the dog shit out of Ziggler I would like to throw it up there, but I don’t think it was Ziggler’s best performance and they’ve had better matches together that had more going for it. Slight no.

Watched: Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins vs. Chris Jericho, Ryback & Sheamus WWE Raw 2/18/13

Good match. Not the best shield tag because the second hot tag was blown, but it’s still another notch in the Shield’s belt.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Randy Orton vs. The Big Show vs. CM Punk WWE Raw 3/4/13

Was only interesting when Punk was in it, but since he wasn’t in it much, that wasn’t the case.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger WWE Smackdown 4/19/13

Good at times, but I felt like this could have been better. Each attacks the other’s injured limb, but the selling wasn’t that outstanding from either.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Watched: Chris Jericho vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Raw 4/22/13

The two notable things from this were Chris having the better performance and the UK crowd doing the wave and Fandango’s dance. That about says what I thought of this.

Watched: Antonio Cesaro vs. Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 4/29/13

Unsurprisingly good. Didn’t really have a purpose outside of two awesome wrestlers doing there thing, but it had its share of nice wrinkles.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. Jack Swagger WWE Raw 5/20/13

Meh. Orton was alright with the selling, but the obvious spot call for the chop block was really bad. Swagger didn’t bring anything to the table.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton WWE Smackdown 6/21/13

In this set of underwhelming matches, this may have been the best, but barely good. This was more based on competitive hate then plunder and was a good next chapter from there Raw match. Not essential.

Watched: Chris Jericho vs. Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 6/24/13

Pretty decent match although not deep.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow Dublin Street Fight WWE Smackdown 6/28/13

This was good fun match. Not much depth and too back and forth to be a classic, but I liked it.

Watched: CM Punk vs Randy Orton WWE Raw 7/8/13

Problematic tit-for-tat face vs face match. I just don’t care for these matches.

Watched: Leo Kruger vs. Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT 7/17/13

Cesaro was awesome for all of it, Zayn was awesome for the second half, and Leo got in the way of the two wrestlers I care for.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs Randy Orton WWE Smackdown 7/19/13

This was really damn good. Del Rio works the arm, Orton sells well. I say better then there 2012 match, but I probably would drop that match from last year’s list then put this on the 2013 list. I wanted a little more of a stiff ass kicking to bring this over the top. Slight no.

Honorable Mention: Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus WWE Raw 7/22/13

Gutsy performance by Sheamus. He has a legit bruised up leg from MITB, and Del Rio focuses on it for openings and is the focus of the match until the end. Some disgusting shots in this one give me just enough to list it. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Watched: Usos and Mark Henry vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Raw 7/29/13

Good. They did well in establishing Henry as the monster who will fuck you up and dominate. Missing the transition into the FIP was kind of shitty though.

Watched: Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 7/29/13

Barely good. It felt like at points that these two were not on the same page at times, but it had some Del Rio’s most vicious arm attacks like the corner dropkick into the steel steps and the senton on the arm. Christian’s selling was awesome as usual but the wire crossing of the first half prevent me from listing it.

Watched: John Cena vs. Ryback Tables Match WWE Raw 7/29/13

They took it some neat directions, but it’s still a tables match and it’s a match that can still felt illogical at times.

Watched: Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins vs. Xavier Woods, Adrian Neville, & Corey Graves WWE NXT 8/14/13

I want to say very good, but we are missing the Shield’s transition into the FIP section. It’s still pretty damn good with Corey trying to avoid the Shield’s corner or his constant attempts to get his leg submission in. Some nice stuff but the hot tag felt wonky to me.
jman9

PreviousNext

Return to General Wrestling