Looking For Wrestling Podcast Partners & Advice

Something wrong? Want something changed? Feel free to bitch about it in here.

Looking For Wrestling Podcast Partners & Advice

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 am

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in or not, but I figured that since this is sort of a questions forum, it's probably the best option.

I've recently been getting into podcasts and other streams based on the wrestling world and I've gotten more and more intrigued. For the last few weeks, maybe months, my general interest in wrestling has grown tremendously. I don't mean the tv shows, the general news, or the backstage politics, but the community as a whole. I had my own column on the matforums and now have recently started a small thing on here, but writing usually seems like a chore to me and I end up updating not as often as I'd like to.

This is where podcasts come in. I'm in college currently majoring in accounting, but something inside me has wanted me to persue a career in the wrestling business. Unfortunately for me, I'm not an athelete, I'm not large, I'm only about 5'9, I'm not in the best shape, and I weigh only 130 pounds so I know that being a wrestler isn't going to happen. But doing something along the lines of managing or announcing would still be so amazing to do. A podcast to me would be a great start in developing speaking skills for the business, as well as doing something I enjoy and entertaining anyone who listens.

There are a couple of problems though. For starters, I'd definitely need at least one other person or this would just end up being a huge failure. This seems pretty obvious though and wouldn't be that hard to solve. Second, I don't have a clue as to how other such podcasts and streams are done. A lot of people use Skype but something about that doesn't seem perfect. Third, the only USB microphones I currently have came with Rock Band and Guitar Hero and they don't seem like they'd be the best option to record audio with.

Those three are why I'm posting this thread. I really would like to do something like this but want to have a good knowledge on how to before I go into it. So I'll ask these three questions:

- Is anyone interested in doing this with me?
- Does anyone know a good program or way of communicating between two or more people in order to stream or record audio with?
- What kind of microphone would be good enough to do such a project with?

Doing something like this may make me realize if this business is truely my passion or not and I really hope that I'll be able to go through with it. I thank you all for reading this and offering whatever help you can.
SHADE 45

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: Looking For Wrestling Podcast Partners & Advice

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 pm

I'll come back to this in detail when I have more time, but I like the idea, nice post.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Curry Man, RVD, Jon Jones, GSP, Rampage.
Favorite Show: UFC, Ultimate Fighter
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by #Foxxc# » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:00 am

I did a Wrestling podcast a while back; it was loads of fun, currently doing an MMA podcast which is great, if you go ahead with it you'll have one listener here :)

And another good thing is since your looking into possibly making it into the wrestling business with a podcast you can contact these smaller, lesser known wrestling websites and the team are willing to come on the show and put their insight which gives you contacts.
"The Gracie Hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba
#Foxxc#

PostPosted by rich0 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:05 pm

I wish I had time to dedicate to doing a regular podcast. Best of luck with it, we at Armbar will help out where we can.
rich0

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Nigel McGuiness/Nate Diaz
Favorite Show: IPW:UK, Chikara, UFC.

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Generic bump.

Now that I see that there's an MMA podcast going on, I think that a wrestling one to accompany it seems appropriate. I'm still interested in this and I've got a friend who'd be willing to help out as well (assuming he has the technology to do so) so if anyone is interested/willing to put up with me, please let me know
SHADE 45

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 am

Sounds like a cool idea. I too find myself speaking over typing a lot now. Typing about stuff is such a chore nowadays. What are the needed technological requirements to pull this off?
Voice of the voiceless: CM Punk.
Voiceless of the voice: Y2J
MarvelousMe

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: Anyone with over three moves
Favorite Show: WCW Nitro

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 am

You'd need a microphone, a webcam (optional but prefered), a way to record sound AND video at the same time (through your soundcard) but Rich might be able to explain that one if you guys are serious.
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:09 am

2G CrayZ wrote:You'd need a microphone, a webcam (optional but prefered), a way to record sound AND video at the same time (through your soundcard) but Rich might be able to explain that one if you guys are serious.

My monitor itself has dual microphones and a webcam, I just need to figure out how to use all the stuff but it shouldn't take long. In terms of recording video/sound, I'd have to look into it but I'm sure my comp's capable of doing it somehow. May need to download a program or something.
SHADE 45

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:14 am

Hmm, I think my CPU (2008 Toshiba) has a webcam and the ability to record sound and stuff. Don't have a microphone though, but I visit stores like office depot/best buy pretty frequently so that shouldn't be a problem once I get some more money. Also, the MMA podcast thing Rich and Crazy do is pretty awesome. I still don't know much about UFC, but I learn more from listening to them.
MarvelousMe

PostPosted by 2G CrayZ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:43 am

MarvelousMe wrote:Hmm, I think my CPU (2008 Toshiba) has a webcam and the ability to record sound and stuff. Don't have a microphone though, but I visit stores like office depot/best buy pretty frequently so that shouldn't be a problem once I get some more money. Also, the MMA podcast thing Rich and Crazy do is pretty awesome. I still don't know much about UFC, but I learn more from listening to them.

Thanks man, that's always a pleasure to hear. All I do is go to the link Rich sends me and talk shit for 30 mins lol. We use Vocaroo (I think) and Rich records it all via his soundcard (somehow).
2G CrayZ
Site Admin

PostPosted by rich0 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm

I'll try and make this as clear as possible, but I have some posh sound card that means I can feed all my audio into one in and one out channel. As in, I can select everything (my mic, the sound from media my computer plays, Ben and Justin's mics) at one time, rather than just one microphone like most PCs want to. This is pretty essential but you can have a play with your sound card and probably work out a solution of some sort.

It's a pretty simple process really. You need a program called CamStudio: http://camstudio.org/

It is a very basic, yet brilliant quality, screen cap device. It's designed for video instead of still images. You also need to download this video codec for CamStudio to get the best quality video with the smallest video file. As I'm pretty certain you don't know too much about installing this type of codec, there is an .exe file that will do it for you here:

http://camstudio.org/CamStudioCodec14.exe

That'll install the codec (a video type) straight into CamStudio for you (and any other decent video editing software you may have).

You might need to have a play with the settings (like making sure you have the lossless codec selected in the video option. Just have a watch through some of these videos for tips on that: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... tings&aq=0 . I'm sure there will be guides on how to use CamStudio on there too. It's pretty damn simple.

So, now you go to oovoo.com. This is like free skype with no download needed. Just click on the "start a web video chat" on the main page. You can have 3 people all video chatting for free. Now, use CamStuido to capture what you're saying etc by putting the CamStudio recording window over your oovoo page, and talk bollocks.

I would suggest stopping and saving your CamStudio recording every 10minutes or so. My computer really struggles to process more than 10mins worth of footage. It's almost 1gig of footage per 10minutes. So it's a lot to process.

I then take these video files, stick them into movie maker. Convert them to uncompressed AVI files (as Premier doesn't like the original CamStudio files). Put them into Adobe Premier Pro, edit them and add graphics. Export them back into Movie Maker and export them as the "high quality movie Large" file type. By doing this last step, you'll have a perfect small video file to upload to youtube.
rich0

PostPosted by Chui » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:18 am

I'd love to get back into doing a podcast. Smitty and I did 2 episodes of Moonsault Weekly before he flaked out on me. I thought it had potential. I'd be interested in trying out for co-host if you don't mind a very obvious southern accent.
Chui

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Chael Sonnen

PostPosted by rich0 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Watch much MMA?
rich0

PostPosted by SHADE 45 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 am

I'd just like to point out that I'd still like to venture into this, even a good 19 months after I originally posted this thread. Now there's not that many people left on here, but I've got nothing better to do with my time and such.

Any takers?
SHADE 45

PostPosted by MarvelousMe » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:10 pm

SHADE 45 wrote:I'd just like to point out that I'd still like to venture into this, even a good 19 months after I originally posted this thread. Now there's not that many people left on here, but I've got nothing better to do with my time and such.

Any takers?

Sure, I'm game. Just tell me what is required.
MarvelousMe

Return to User Support & Questions