2014 MOTYC

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Re: 2014 MOTYC

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Watched: Brian Cage vs Roderick Strong PWG Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll 5/23/14

Good sub ten minute match. Mostly a big vs bigger match with Roddy trying to get the one suplex move in order to win. Better Cage match than usual, but he did try to do too many moves in the end that didn’t come off as hot.

Watched: Rich Swann vs AR Fox PWG Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll 5/23/14

The match wasn’t bad because it didn’t go an unnecessary amount of time. It did get stupid with the rollups in the end.

Watched: Chuck Taylor/Trent? vs Joey Ryan/Candace LeRae PWG Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll 5/23/14

Funny comedy at points, but kind of dragged in the end.

Watched: ACH vs Ricochet PWG Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll 5/23/14

Good, but too long of a match for these two. Especially ACH whose strikes looked really shitty in the middle.

Watched: Kevin Steen/Young Bucks vs Cedric Alexander/Johnny Gargano/Trevor Lee PWG Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll 5/23/14

Another good Rushmore match. It looked like they were going in a direction with Steen/Cedric but it didn’t materialize and was just a good regular match.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Kyle O’Reilly Knockouts or Submission PWG Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll 5/23/14

If only Kyle made any effort to sell the leg. If you are going to waste my having limbs worked over, then have it mean something in the end or don’t do it at all. It was good otherwise, but fuck damnit sell.
http://jmanwrestlingenterprisereviews.blogspot.com
Because someone has to review matches outside the WWE. Currently doing ROH.
jman9

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Watched: Rob Van Dam vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 6/30/14

A legitimately good RVD match. Both are selling their injuries from MITB and you have both basing their offense around the other’s injury. Seth sold his back like a champ while RVD’s was meh. But it was still the smartest RVD match I’ve seen.

Watched: Wyatt Family vs Sheamus/Usos WWE Raw 6/30/14

Usual good trios match.

Watched: Sami Zayn vs Justin Gabriel WWE NXT 7/3/14

Not that good. Not a good Gabriel performance.

Watched: Usos vs Luke Harper/Eric Rowan WWE Raw 7/7/14

Around the quality of their ppv match. Good, but still needing that extra something

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs Randy Orton WWE Raw 7/7/14

Not seeing the hype for this. Different, but not great.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio Last Man Standing WWE Main Event 7/8/14

That is not a typo; they had a LMS match that was not on TV. It was good though because these two have had some sweet matchups since last year and not when it should meant the most in 2012. It was also given ppv main event time and there was enough fun stuff in it. Not as good as there other matches I pimped, but I didn’t regret watching it.

Watched: Sami Zayn/Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd/Justin Gabriel WWE NXT 7/10/14

Good match. Even though there were some cool moves, it just didn’t seem to flow for me until the outstanding ending.

Watched: Chris Jericho vs Randy Orton WWE Smackdown 7/11/14

Stunk.

Watched: Sami Zayn vs Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 7/17/14

Good, but I was expecting something a little more epic then what I got.

Listed: Usos vs Wyatt Family 2/3 Falls WWE Battleground 7/20/14

The best of the bunch between them. First fall demonstrates the dominance of the Wyatts with the second fall continuing that trend until the cradle, and then you have the amazing stretch run with actual kickouts that were shocking. Some selling issues, but everybody was hitting hard and there was too much good shit to ignore. #15.

Watched: Chris Dickinson vs. MASADA CZW To Infinity 4/27/14

Too restholdy and not stiff enough to be anything substantial.

Listed: Danny Havoc vs. Matt Tremont Deathmatch CZW To Infinity 4/27/14

This was one of the better deathmatches that I’ve seen in a while. Matt was throwing some awesome shots in this and those shoot headbutts were nasty as hell. They also had some creative spots with the barbed wire board and did well with coming up with stuff on the fly. Some selling issues, but this is about as efficient of a deathmatch as you’ll see. #19.

Honorable Mention: AR Fox/Rich Swann vs Jake Crist/Dave Crist CZW Prelude to Violence 2014 5/31/14

For as much of an obvious no selling spotfest as it was, I still thought this was very good. The match goes around twelve minutes with everything hitting crisply and there are seven dives in this that actually came at a breakneck pace. Obvious no selling will prevent this from getting anywhere near my top 20, but this probably my guilty pleasure match of the year. HM.

Listed: Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey CZW New Heights 7/12/14

Fuck, another very good one from CZW. This is a champion vs plucky newcomer match with Biff having great uppercuts and having some crazy kick combinations and timely highflying spots. Pretty much this year’s version of ACH/Cole. #15.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Watched: Austin Aries/Eddie Edwards/Davey Richards vs. MVP/Bobby Lashley/Kenny King TNA Impact 5/29/14

Perfectly acceptable and good at points.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Watched: Ophidion vs Heidi Lovelace Chikara Quatum of Solace 6/21/14

On the fringe of being good. The mat wrestling ruled, but the striking left a lot to be desired. There was some form of an attack the leg story, but it kind of left me cold. Heidi’s strikes sort of distracted me because it wasn’t strong enough or quick enough to make me buy her as being equal to Ophidion. Fine.

Watched: The Shard/Jigsaw vs Arik Cannon/Darin Corbin Chikara Quatum of Solace 6/21/14

Good, maybe. I’ve seen too many better Chikara matches over the years that I’m just going to forget this one by the end of the day.

Watched: Blaster McMassive/Oleg the Usurper/Jaka vs. Spectral Envoy Chikara Quatum of Solace 6/21/14

Good, but could have been better. The ending stunk.

Listed: Cedric Alexander vs Kyle O’Reilly ROH Aftershock 7/12/14

Seriously can’t believe how much I enjoyed it. Cedric is good, but his selling in the home stretch can be non-existent, and the last match I reviewed with Kyle was awful because of him. Kyle for once actually has some really snug strikes and does fine enough job acting the fool and going from midsection stuff to arm stuff even though he doesn’t focus enough on the arm submissions. Cedric does well in actually selling it and proceeds to annihilate Kyle with several kicks in the match and proceeding to give Kyle the Lumbar Check of all time. There was a really big botch that was supposed to turn the tide which will bother people, but I thought it was Cedric best match of the year so far otherwise. #19.

Watched: Briscoes vs BJ Whitmer/Roderick Strong ROH Aftershock 7/12/14

Good hard fought match that you expect from these four veterans.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs Tomasso Ciampa ROH Aftershock 7/12/14

Good match, but with a better second half, it could have been listed. Some comedy in the beginning until Ciampa begins to maul Steen and work the arm. It seemed to peak too early and got quiet in the second half and I sort had the same reaction toward it.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Matt Hardy ROH Aftershock 7/12/14

Crap. It looked like Elgin was going half speed trying not to kill Hardy.

Listed: Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young No DQ ROH Summer Heat Tour: Cincinnati 7/18/14

This was better than people were letting on. These two just aggressively beat the shit out of each other without hesitation and it’s about what I wanted in this. Enough sick bumps to satisfy although the selling could have been a bit better. It delivered for me. #17.

Watched: Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian vs Jay Lethal/Adam Cole ROH Summer Heat Tour: Cincinnati 7/18/14

It was ok, but I won’t remember anything from it.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Roderick Strong ROH Summer Heat Tour: Cincinnati 7/18/14

Good stiff match. Didn’t light the world on fire, but was way better then the Hardy match.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:12 am

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Miz WWE Raw 7/21/14

They had some good ideas, but they needed to execute better and not have Miz take any face bumps before the finish.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs Cesaro No DQ WWE Smackdown 7/25/14

Good, but not as outstanding as some have been saying. Some nasty resthold stuff with Cesaro and the kendo stick, but no direction otherwise. Didn’t like the out of nowhere ending.

Watched: John Cena vs Cesaro WWE Raw 7/28/14

Good, but it didn’t jump out at me as being more despite the cool moments. I got they were going in the direction of Cena trying to prove a point by wrestling Cesaro, but the transitions didn’t have the snap to them that you would think and the crowd wasn’t as hot as I was hoping.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 8/4/14

I think this would have benefitted from being shorter and more to the point then going 15. I like these two, but they have had better performances. Sadly Del Rio’s last match, but I think the firing was a blessing for him because you kind of knew they were never going to competently book him right.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins WWE Smackdown 8/8/14

A bit more squashy then expected, but still good.

Watched: Cesaro vs Jack Swagger WWE Raw 8/11/14

The best match of the day so far although probably not listworthy. Cesaro takes the majority of it and works on Jack’s ribs and it is a thorough thrashing and the match I wanted Ambrose/Del Rio to have. Jack, although fine in the selling the ribs, does nothing for me otherwise. Pretty much Cesaro’s arsenal of destruction carried this match.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Sheamus WWE Raw 8/11/14

This absolutely happened until the RKO in the end.

Watched: Seth Rollins vs Kofi Kingston WWE Main Event 8/12/14

OK.

Watched: Usos vs Ryback/Curtis Axel vs Sheamus/Rob Van Dam WWE Main Event 8/12/14

Needed more Usos to be better.

Watched: Adrian Neville vs Tyler Breeze WWE NXT 8/14/14

Not Breeze’s best performance until the stretch run and schmozz ending. The match needed more direction then what we got.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs. Cesaro WWE Smackdown 8/15/14

Although storyless, this may have been a little better than the No DQ match.

Watched: Cesaro vs RVD WWE Summerslam 8/17/14

Worst Cesaro match of the day because of RVD’s shittiness.

Watched: Alexander Rusev vs. Jack Swagger Flag Match WWE Summerslam 8/17/14

This is a regular match where the winner waves there flag. Good match, but I still can’t get into face Swagger even with the decent rib selling. Rusev’s ankle selling was great though. Laid out smartly, but it didn’t have that outstanding moment to even be considered very good.

Listed: Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins Lumberjack Match WWE Summerslam 8/17/14

This had no right being as sweet as it was even at just around 12 minutes. The first half was there to establish the lumberjacks job and the eventual breaking down of the match with some nasty shots and nose pulling in between, but more in the guise of a regular match. Then the suplex on the lumberjacks happens and then becomes this insane overbooked match that got crazier the farther it went along. And there’s a possibility that there rematch will be better. #14.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Roman Reigns WWE Summerslam 8/17/14

This was better than I thought it would be. It would have benefitted from losing all the Orton chinlocks, but it was a good way of putting Roman over and actually looked better than I thought he would.

Honorable Mention: Brock Lesnar vs John Cena WWE Summerslam 8/17/14

Similar to the structure of there 2012, but not the classic as that one. People were saying Cena got no offense in the match, but it was actually kind of the same as there 2012 match. I did enjoy the knees, mounted punches, and germans, but there was just a higher variety of cool stuff in 2012. I still feel it is very good just for how different it was, but even now, I don’t feel it is a top 20 match. HM.

Honorable Mention: Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins Falls Count Anywhere WWE Raw 8/18/14

Not as great on rewatch, but still very good. I think what hurt this was that we’ve seen this type of weapons match in the past and it wasn’t as unique as the lumberjack match. That said, everything escalated and was booked in a logical way right down to Ambrose getting American History Xed in the end. Another nice chapter in the feud. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:42 pm

Watched: Crazzy Steve vs. Davey Richards vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Manik vs. Sanada vs. Tigre Uno Ladder Match TNA Slammiversary XII 6/15/14

Blah. Not the smartest to have Sanada be in most of the action with his inexperience in ladder matches.

Watched: Austin Aries vs. Kenny King TNA Slammiversary XII 6/15/14

Nice tv match that was on ppv.

Watched: Bully Ray vs. Ethan Carter III Texas Death Match TNA Slammiversary XII 6/15/14

Fine brawl at points, but an unsatisfying ending.

Watched: Austin Aries vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Eric Young Steel Cage Match TNA Slammiversary XII 6/15/14

Good match despite some botching.

Watched: Magnus/Bram vs Willow/Abyss Monster’s Ball TNA Impact 6/26/14

Decent plunder match. It’s been better, but it was better than I thought it would be.

Watched: Sanada vs. Austin Aries TNA Impact 7/10/14

This needed more time then 10 minutes to really make this match work.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs ACH PWG Eleven 7/26/14

Usual good PWG match. No story, but some awesome action with the same issues involving no selling moves in the end. You’ll enjoy it in a vacuum but nothing that is substantial.

Watched: Chuck Taylor/Trent? vs Michael Elgin/Johnny Gargano PWG Eleven 7/26/14

On the borderline, but I just can’t do it. A lot of fun stuff, but the usual stuff the IWC could do without like no selling moves and going longer then it needed to.

Watched: Roderick Strong vs. Adam Cole PWG Eleven 7/26/14

After their ROH matches, this felt house showish.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Chris Hero PWG Eleven 7/26/14

Despite Hero’s best efforts, Kyle eventually ruined the match. The mat wrestling in the beginning was the best part by far with Hero eventually doing some incredible work to the leg. Of course Kyle negated that by not selling the leg, by not stepping up on his striking, and treating Hero like they were equal size when it’s obviously not true. Despite Hero’s girth, he’s still a top 20 wrestler.

Listed: Young Bucks vs. Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae Guerilla Warfare PWG Eleven 7/26/14

Every bit as nutty as every Young Buck Guerilla Warfare match at this point. This is at least unique to others like switching the thumb tack bag with a gummi bear bag and the total fucked-up-ness of the thumbtack shoe. It pretty much lived up to its brutality. #19.

Watched: Ares/Nokken/Tursas vs. UltraMantis Black/Hallowicked/Frightmare Chikara You Only Live Twice 5/25/14

That was a fun under 10 minute match. Tursus and Nokken are fun brick walls and bump really well when the Envoy comes back. Closer to being listed then I would have thought, but Ares was every bit as mediocre as you remember.

Watched: Evan Gelistico/Gary The Barn Owl vs. Dasher Hatfield/Mark Angelosetti Chikara Quatum of Solace 6/21/14

Not as good of an under ten minute match as the last one, but was still good.

Watched: Qefka The Quiet/Oliver Grimsly/Ares/Nokken/Tursas vs. Kodama/Obariyon/Shane Matthews/Scott Parker/Archibald Peck Chikara Diamonds Are Forever 6/21/14

The match was too messy for my liking.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs Matt Sydal Evolve 31 8/8/14

Didn’t dig this as much as should have. Just too directionless.

Watched: Austin Aries vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Manik vs. Davey Richards vs. Zema Ion vs. Crazzy Steve vs. Tigre Uno vs. Sanada Gauntlet Match TNA Impact 7/17/14

Good little gimmick match. You got a nice amount of action with some good wrestlers until the Aries/Sanada ending.

Watched: Bobby Lashley vs. Jeff Hardy TNA Impact 7/17/14

This was probably the best TNA match this year, but I don’t quite think is listable. It was kind of pushed as Hardy trying to be aggressive and take risks to try to take the destroyer down. You had the rare non-Angle kickout of the swanton which made Jeff going for the psychotic swanton on the steel steps make sense. But Lashley was actually the revelation in this. He seemed more confident and quicker on his feet and looked like he gets it as a wrestler. I’d be down for seeing more Lashley.

Listed: The Wolves vs The Hardys TNA Impact 7/31/14

This at least lived up to the dream match hype. Yeah, it goes around ten minutes, but it had molten crowd, enough of a story with Davey’s arm being worked over and sold, and some awesome false finishes. Because of the importance of it, this is the new #20 knocking at the Wyatts six man.

Watched: Low Ki vs. Manik vs. DJ Zema Ion TNA Impact 7/31/14

Fun short match.

Watched: Bobby Lashley vs Austin Aries TNA Impact 7/31/14

Felt like a combination of the recent Hardy/Lashley match and the Aries/Bully Ray match from 2012. Lashley straight up shitcans Aries throughout the match with some midsection work added in. I wouldn’t say it was Aries best selling, but he was very valiant in fighting. Finish is similar to the Hardy match in that he survives the finisher, avoids the crazy dive, and finishes with the spear. Better overall then the Hardy match, but I can’t quite list it.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Watched: Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian vs. Briscoes vs. War Machine vs. Jimmy Jacobs/Roderick Strong ROH on SBG 7/26/14

I’ll say good despite some miscommunication. This got around twenty minutes and the action probably could have listed it if it was less messy and if the control section was just little shorter.

Watched: BJ Whitmer vs Caprice Coleman vs. Matt Taven vs. Romantic Touch vs. Jay Lethal vs. Cedric Alexander Gauntlet for the Gold ROH on SBG 8/2/14

Well I painfully regret watching this. Four of the matchups stunk with Lethal/Taven being only the interesting one.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Kyle O’Reilly ROH on SBG 8/9/14

Good tv match. The taped up thigh was a façade and the match was fought like how each wrestler normally fight with Kyle’s arm attack and Elgin’s slams. You won’t regret watching it, but it’s not a classic.

Honorable Mention: Michael Elgin vs Jay Briscoe vs AJ Styles vs Adam Cole ROH Field of Honor 8/15/14

Very good spotfest. They pretty much cut the crap and just begin teeing off and the match is a lot of fun. The middle could have been better especially that stupid Cole chinlock, but they have a hell of a stretch run and if you were going to this type of four way, these were the right people to do them with. HM.

Watched: ACH vs Tadarius Thomas ROH on SBG 8/16/14

Didn’t like this for about half of this until ACH was bleeding. Thomas just isn’t a good striker at all.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs Steve Corino ROH on SBG 8/16/14

Steen’s last indy match :(. It was a good non serious affair and proved that Steve could still be good. But yeah, this all about Steen and how the indies are worser place without him.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Watched: MVP/Bobby Lashley/Kenny King vs Austin Aries/Eric Young/Bobby Roode TNA Impact 8/14/14

Good little under 10 minute six man. They’ve really struck gold with team Aafrrican-American as they bring a good dynamic into this faction even with MVP working injured. Not long enough to be great, but I dug it.

Watched: Team 3D vs Hardys TNA Impact 8/14/14

It was nice to see this match once again, but it was not as good as Hardys/Wolves. 3D were just a bit too slow for me.

Watched: Wolves vs. Hardys vs. Team 3-D TNA Impact 8/27/14

Another criminally short good match. The match was a small control section and a balls to the wall finishing run with some impeccable timing. I wish it went twice as long and with Eddie as FIP, but this is not the end.

Watched: Colony vs. Colony: Xtreme Force Chikara King of Trios Night 1 9/19/14

Got good by the end, but I just can’t get into the Xtreme Force.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Watched: Chuck Taylor vs. Rich Swann vs. Shynron vs. Tigre Uno Chikara King of Trios Night 2 9/20/14

Good match, but a little too much messiness and bad selling from Shynron. He’s got a hell of a lot of potential though.

Watched: 17/The Shard/Jigsaw vs. 3.0/Archibald Peck Chikara King of Trios Night 2 9/20/14

I’m getting the same old thing with these Chikara tags. Meh first 2/3rds and a real good finishing stretch. This company needs to get it together.

Watched: AR Fox vs. The Great Sanada vs. Orlando Christopher vs. Amasis Chikara King of Trios Night 2 9/20/14

3 Meh high flyers and Sanada ruling it old school.

Watched: Spirit Squad vs. Icarus/Dasher Hatfield/Mark Angelosetti Chikara King of Trios Night 2 9/20/14

This was way better than I thought it would be. The squad were awesome in just being hateable, showing ass, and just being really good heels in general. I want to list this, because unlike other Chikara matches I’ve seen this year, there isn’t really a weakness to any of the sections. Maybe a bit too,comedy heavy. I’ll sadly give this a slight no.

Watched: Colony vs. Flood Chikara King of Trios Night 2 9/20/14

Good match. Worker Ant’s leg selling could have been better and it kind of ended on a whimper. Eddie’s still awesome though.

Watched: Shynron vs. The Great Sanada Chikara King of Trios Night 3 9/21/14

Good, but not what I thought it would be. I thought they would go in more of a face/heel direction, but although Sanada was heelish the ref was mostly ahead of his tricks.

Watched: The Shard/Jigsaw vs Dasher Hatfield/Mark Angelosetti 2/3 Falls Chikara The World is Not Enough 7/20/14

Good, but I thought they got a bit lost in the end.

Watched: Sami Zayn/Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd/Tyler Breeze WWE NXT 8/28/14

This was a tv match. It served its purpose, but nothing to go out of your way for.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:19 am

Watched: John Cena/Chris Jericho/Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton/Seth Rollins/Kane WWE Raw 9/1/14

After the six mans I’ve seen in 2013, this comes off as pretty average.

Watched: Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt Steel Cage Match WWE Raw 9/8/14

Felt like a house show match, but a little better than I thought it would be.

Watched: Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton WWE Raw 9/8/14

Same criticisms as with the Summerslam match, but with a dq finish.

Watched: Charlotte vs Bayley WWE NXT 9/11/14

Good match. This was a champion vs out matched challenger match with Bayley showing some great fire, and Charlotte was sweet in cutting her off. Charlotte still has some greenness to shake off, and the match wasn’t as dynamic as her match against Natalia, but if they let Charlotte be what she is now in WWE, the sky’s the limit.

Watched: Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 9/11/14

Didn’t buy the hype for this. I got what they were doing, but it took too long to get going, Kidd controlling for chinlocks did nothing for me, and some of the spots of seen them do have been done better in the past.

Watched: reDRagon vs Cedric Alexander/Andrew Everett ROH on SBG 5/17/14

All the good stuff seemed to happen in the final few minutes.

Watched: Seth Rollins vs Roman Reigns WWE Raw 9/15/14

Damn good, and closer to being listed then I thought which has been a theme with Rollins matches this year. We only got about 8 minutes and we don’t see the turning point with Seth, but they did well with Roman trying to go after Seth bumping well for him. Stupid to do it 6 days before a ppv, but Reigns had the hernia so in a way I’m glad we got this. Still, they probably shouldn’t have wasted the matchup at this point.

Watched: Titus O'Neil & Tyson Kidd vs. Sami Zayn & Adrian Neville WWE NXT 9/18/14

Didn’t really deserve the 10 or so minutes it got. I know it was showing the Zayn/Neville friction and Titus, but Tyson is starting to get a bit too chinlocky for his own good.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Cesaro WWE Night of Champions 9/21/14

This felt like another one on the fence. Better than the Payback match, in that the no selling wasn’t as egregious. It was the same theme as there other matches in that they were trying to prove who the tougher bastard was, and yet I found each section of the match to be disconnected from the overall picture. I think a more straight forward match would have done it, and I’m going to go slight no even though I feel shitty about it.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Chris Jericho WWE Night of Champions 9/21/14

Same old drivel from these two. Why were people recommending this?

Honorable Mention: John Cena vs Brock Lesnar WWE Night of Champions 9/21/14

Very good companion piece to their Summerslam match. Cena gets a little more in and gets the first big blow 2 minutes in. Lesnar mostly dominates, but doesn’t get his F5 in, and tries the kimura all match long but can’t put him away. Cena maybe could have sold it better, but his arm wasn’t worked on so I was mostly alright with it. The dq finish wasn’t even bad, because of all the AA’s and STFs Brock took, so it made more sense than I thought it would. About in the same range as there Summerslam match. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Watched: Bobby Fish vs TJ Perkins PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

Good opener to the tournament. TJ carried the proceedings, but Fish did some nice leg work and didn’t look outclassed. Not going to list it in that there will probably be better mat wrestling in the tournament, but this served as a nice appetizer.

Watched: Roderick Strong vs. Biff Busick PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

Good barely. I wish it was stiffer and that the ending was worked a bit better, but there was enough cool stuff to not be a waste.

Watched: Trevor Lee vs Cedric Alexander PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

Worst match so far. These two just seemed off.

Watched: Candice LeRae/Joey Ryan vs Bad Influence vs Inner City Machine Guns PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

It was ok. Nothing memorable.

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs Michael Elgin PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

Not awful, but I still wasn’t thrilled with it. It was better than there 2013 match (will see their other match soon) in that they at least did well in building the lariat as the finish and that they made a better effort in “trying” to sell the big moves. The match started like it would be a short one, but the longer it went, the more me and the crowd were confused. Still, not awful.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly vs Drew Guluk PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

Drew put in a good effort, but he made the mistake of targeting a body part and lo and behold Kyle didn’t sell it. End this fucking reign.

Watched: Kenny Omega/Chuck Taylor/Zack Sabre Jr. vs Adam Cole/Young Bucks PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 1 8/29/14

Didn’t see this as being as great as I thought it would be. Good in the beginning with Zach bitching out Cole with some awesome mat wrestling. Some booking with Trent happens which leads to the control section and that’s where it begins to lose it and not recover.

Watched: Candice LeRae vs. Rich Swann PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 2 8/30/14

Good match. You don’t get to see Rich control the match all the time, but you forget that he is pretty good at it and ended up better than I thought it would be.

Watched: Chuck Taylor vs. Johnny Gargano PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 2 8/30/14

This…happened.

Watched: Ricochet vs Chris Sabin PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 2 8/30/14

Fine, I guess. But there was nothing to really grasp onto with the match.

Watched: ReDragon vs. Biff Busick and Drew Gulak PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2014 Night 2 8/30/14

Kind of sucked.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Watched: Chris Hero vs Matt Sydal PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 2 8/30/14

So my computer crashed, and I am going to finish this off with a 06 Latitude.

Good, but not Sydal’s best performance. The tools were there, but some of the more intricate stuff he did with Hero didn’t come off as well as it could have. Hero was still the man here and destroyed Sydal with his sick kick variations and my favorite where he grabs Sydal by the throat, puts him in the corner, and punches him in the face. The weight is not affecting Chris Hero’s performances.

Honorable Mention: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Adam Cole PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 2 8/30/14

Between this and Fish/Perkins, this was the best match so far. Zach embarrasses Cole on the mat and it was a treat. They did an arm vs head story, with Zach’s head selling being better then I would have thought from a British wrestler, and Cole’s arm selling not being as great as it usually is even though Zach did a hell of a number on it. Not the best of the year, but this World of Sport meets the current wrestling scene type of match was different enough from the norm to be at least listed. HM.

Watched: ACH vs Kenny Omega PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 2 8/30/14

What a bizarre match. It was 70% not good wrestling, and 30% funny comedy match. I just don’t know.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 2 8/30/14

Good match despite the burned out crowd and the flaky home stretch.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs Ricochet PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

Good undercard match. It won’t blow you away, but it served its purpose.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Trevor Lee PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

I’m on the fence on this one. Elgin laid a hell of a beating on Trevor with him making some tough comebacks. I just wish there was more selling to it or any selling for that manner. That pretty much sums it up.

Watched: Matt Sydal vs Kenny Omega PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

This wasn’t good either. Was Kenny always this bad?

Watched: AJ Styles vs Roderick Strong PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

Another one I’m on the fence on, but I probably won’t list. I say a better AJ match then the one in ROH, but Strong was getting back on offense way too quickly and easily. The DQ finish was a necessary evil, but was hurt by being a good idea not being as executed as well as it could have. It’s still these two and it was about as good as you want it to be.

Listed: Kyle O’Reilly vs Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

It took a while, but this was the best match of the tournament so far. They did some MMA and WOS wrestling which ended in standoffs and led to Kyle’s routine section which leads to Zach’s great little arm work. Kyle’s selling was more gradual throughout the match because there wasn’t a lot of work on the arm in the beginning. The finish ruled. Zach is softening up the arm and Kyle does a WOS transition into a gross Made in Japan, a brainbuster, Danielson stomps, and the triangle choke to barely survive. Perfect ending. #15.

Watched: Young Bucks/Adam Cole vs ACH/Brian Myers/Chris Sabin PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

It was mostly crowd pleasing comedy, but I’ll say it was still good.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs Trevor Lee PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

Dragged too long in the beginning and middle. It got good in the end, but it was too little too late.

Watched: Kenny Omega vs Ricochet PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

This was insufferable.

Watched: Chris Hero/Rich Swann/Joey Ryan/Willie Mack/Chuck Taylor vs Biff Busick/Tomasso Ciampa/Cedric Alexander/Drew Gulak/Bobby Fish PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

Comedy MOTY. Just complete insanity.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs Ricochet vs Roderick Strong PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14

Fine final, but I won’t remember this tomorrow.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Watched: Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian vs. Adam Cole/Michael Bennett ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 1 8/22/14

Nothing spectacular.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Kyle O'Reilly ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 1 8/22/14

Good, not great. It went the way I expected with Kyle attacking the arm although I don’t think it was AJ’s strongest selling performance.

Watched: Briscoes vs. Young Bucks ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 1 8/22/14

Good dream match that I can’t see myself listing. Just lacked that spectacular moment to bring it over the top.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Silas Young ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 1 8/22/14

It was alright, but didn’t really bring his strikes to the next level.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Adam Cole ROH All Star Extravaganza VI 9/6/14

Disappointing. Cole just seemed off his game, and it felt like they were extending the match longer then they needed to.

Honorable Mention: Jay Lethal vs. Cedric Alexander ROH All Star Extravaganza VI 9/6/14

Closer to the line then I would have thought. Took a bit to get going even with the fast start, but it was mostly a classic heel/face structure with just enough freshness to make it different. Cedric was making a bit too many “rookie mistakes” during the match, but this exceeded my expectations enough to just get it over the line. HM.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Jay Briscoe ROH All Star Extravaganza VI 9/6/14

It was alright, but just too mindless.

Watched: reDRagon vs. Young Bucks 2/3 Falls match ROH All Star Extravaganza VI 9/6/14

Good, but didn’t really have that good of a beginning. Just too much no selling during it and the match being too much like there second match.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Watched: Sheamus vs Wade Barrett WWE Smackdown 5/30/14

It wasn’t long, but it was a good hard nosed while it lasted.

Honorable Mention: Usos/Sheamus vs. Goldust/Stardust/Cesaro WWE Raw 9/22/14

All six of these men I enjoy, but even I was surprised how awesome it was. This was a really fun stiffest and it had just enough structure and roughness to it to differentiate from the other stuff in the WWE. HM.

Watched: Adrian Neville vs. Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 10/2/14

These two have had better matches, this was too short to be the feud ender.

Watched: John Cena/Dean Ambrose vs. Goldust/Stardust vs. Usos WWE Raw 10/13/14

Another good one. The makeshift vanilla nature of Cena/Ambrose prevents this from being great, but the Usos/Dust Bros. stuff is still sweet.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Raw 10/13/14

Minus the ending, this wasn’t good at all.

Watched: Seth Rollins vs. Jack Swagger WWE Raw 10/13/14

Good job by Rollins in making this good. Not great because of Jack’s ceiling, but this is another notch in Seth’s belt.

Watched: Sami Zayn vs Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 10/16/14

Nothing outstanding.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Honorable Mention: Dolph Ziggler vs. Cesaro 2/3 Falls WWE Hell in a Cell 10/26/14

Despite being 12 minutes and two falls, this somehow was still very good. The first fall was some really nice amateur wrestling and nice quick little build to the giant swing. Ending was abrupt, but executed better then it had the right to be. The awesome stuff happens in the second fall. It starts with the Dolph armbreaker and the match builds around Cesaro’s arm which he sells really well. Then you have this crazy sequence where Cesaro turns Dolph’s cobra clutch into a ridiculously nutty superplex. Yes, I would have loved for this to be three falls or even just one fall, but despite every handicap the booking tried to give, it was a sweet match. HM.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. John Cena Hell in a Cell WWE Hell in a Cell 10/26/14

I thought I was actually going to enjoy this when Randy was actually showing urgency in his offense, but then it turned into a bloated house show epic match and I stopped caring.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins Hell in a Cell WWE Hell in a Cell 10/26/14

Good, but the crowd did seem to lose steam down the stretch until the fuck finish.

Honorable Mention: Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher Evolve 32 8/9/14

First time seeing Thatcher, finally, and once he turned Biff’s wrist in a disgusting direction, I can tell I’m going to like him. The match is practically all on the mat and is of the methodical variety, but what makes this work is the simple story. Biff is going to always tenaciously go for the choke like against James Raideen, while Thatcher goes after the arm and the match plays out in an organic way. I don’t think it is a sleeper MOTYC, but the fact that it is so different from everything makes it stand out enough to be in the HM pile.

Watched: Ricochet vs. Matt Sydal Evolve 32 8/9/14

It got good in the end, but at this point, this is on the complete opposite of the freshness scale.

Listed: Johnny Gargano vs. Rich Swann Evolution’s End Evolve 33 8/10/14

This was an awesome feud ender. This was the dirty, stiff, hate filled fight I wanted and then some. Gargano’s probably the best indy wrestler out there right now, and you tend to forget at times how great of a wrestler Swann is when he’s given a match/feud to sink his teeth into and delivered the goods on his end. #5.

Honorable Mention: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher Evolve 34 9/13/14

And Thatcher is 2 for 2 today. Thatcher gets his arm jammed apart and his selling is every bit as sweet as his controlling. This match was I think just a little bit quicker and was better the Biff match, but I do feel like I may run into the problem of the matches being a bit too similar. It hasn’t happened right now, and is worthy of being above the Mendoza Line. HM.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Drew Gulak Evolve 35 9/14/14

Good, but kind of devolved (haha) into a Angle-like match. Too much better stuff today.

Watched: Drew Galloway vs Roderick Strong Evolve 35 9/14/14

Good hard fought match, but maybe a bit too long. The former McIntyre (spelling wrong?) is just as good as he was back in 2011 and once he begins to gas less could be a top 20 wrestler.

Watched: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Biff Busick Evolve 35 9/14/14

Good, but not at the levels of the matches involving Thatcher. Just a bit too much indyisms and execution issues.

Watched: Ricochet vs Uhaa Nation Evolve 35 9/14/14

I got what they were going for, it just that Uhaa was crap in selling the leg.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Trevor Lee PWG Untitled II 10/17/14

Alright, but kind of formula indy match.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. ACH/AR Fox Untitled II 10/17/14

Good in a mindless sort of way. It will be fun, but it will overstay its welcome.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Roderick Strong Untitled II 10/17/14

Good and best of the night. Kyle was more on point with his striking, but didn’t do anything the sell the back/midsection. Roderick’s performance was better with the arm selling, but I still wasn’t enamored with it enough.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Watched: Michael Bennett vs Delirious ROH Road to Best in the World Night 1 6/6/14

Well that absolutely did not need to go as long as it did.

Watched: Jimmy Jacobs vs Michael Elgin ROH Road to Best in the World Night 1 6/6/14

This did nothing for me. Jacobs no selling issues were more egregious then usual considering who he was facing.

Watched: Michael Bennett vs Michael Elgin No DQ ROH Road to Best in the World Night 2 6/7/14

Good match which was a miracle for a Bennett match. The angle is the bread and butter of this which gets it near the borderline. Not quite enough, but I still recommend it.

Watched: Silas Young vs ACH ROH Road to Best in the World Night 2 6/7/14

Good, barely.

Honorable Mention: Adam Cole vs Tommaso Ciampa ROH Road to Best in the World Night 2 6/7/14

Not a classic, but still very good. It was the usual Cole match of going after the leg, and Ciampa did sell well for the most part. The match did have enough cool wrinkles to it to at least be above the usual pack. Honorable Mention.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. ACH ROH on SBG 8/23/14

Good draw, but very far from perfect. No story to it, except for Lethal’s cohorts being ejected when they were caught cheating, there were enough good moments to it to not be a waste of time, especially the superkick that ACH sold by landing on his forehead which was crazy. Still not enough there to list it anywhere.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Cedric Alexander ROH on SBG 8/30/14

Weird match. The strikes were just as disgusting as there match in March and I did like Cedric trying to go for the kill early, but the crowd wasn’t having any of it and the match tailspinned down the stretch with the leg work.

Watched: Brian Kendrick vs Silas Young ROH on SBG 9/6/14

Alright, but a needless epic.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Frankie Kazarian/Christopher Daniels ROH on SBG 9/6/14

Fine, but I thought Bad Influence controlled too much of it.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Watched: Eric Young vs. Bobby Roode TNA Impact 9/3/14

Really, really formula.

Watched: Samoa Joe vs Bobby Lashley TNA Impact 9/3/14

Way too short for what they were capable of.

Watched: Team 3-D vs Hardy Boys vs. The Wolves Tables Match TNA Impact 9/10/14

Good match. This got 10 minutes and they did well in building and teasing the table spots. I can’t quite go all the way with it, but it did improve from there last match.

Watched: Team 3-D vs Hardy Boys vs. The Wolves Ladder Match TNA Impact 9/17/14

Another good one, but I don’t think it was as good as the Tables match.

Watched: Team 3-D vs Hardy Boys vs. The Wolves Full Metal Mayhem TNA Impact 10/8/14

Good, but there weren’t any classics in this series. If nothing else, it put the Wolves over two of the elite tag teams in wrestling history. Even though they were trying there very best, these still have a sense of overkill to them.

Watched: Matt Hardy vs Magnus TNA Impact 10/15/14

Not good. You could see the elements of prime Matt in this, put he can’t pull it off as affectively anymore.

Watched: Eric Young vs. Bobby Roode vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Austin Aries Elimination TNA Impact 10/15/14

Didn’t like this. Bored the piss out of me.

Watched: MVP/Kenny King vs. Samoa Joe/Low Ki TNA Impact 10/29/14

That TEAM. Good match and given good time too. Not enough fireworks to be great, but I enjoyed seeing Ki being in prime form.

Watched: Havok vs. Gail Kim vs. Taryn Terrell TNA Impact 11/19/14

Probably the last TNA match I’m reviewing this year and probably a while. At least it ended on a good match even with the silent crowd. They did a real good job getting over the story of Havok and how Gail and Taryn had to fight ferociously for every bit of offence to take her out of the match just so they could face off. Top 10 TNA match, but as the theme this year for this company, on the doorstep, but missing that extra element to bring it over the top.

Watched: Christopher Daniels vs Cedric Alexander ROH Champions vs All-Stars 10/11/14

Good match. Daniels turned back the clock and had one of his body part focused matches that he was a master of ten years ago. Cedric didn’t sell the neck all the way and that’s why it’s not being listed.

Watched: Jay Briscoe/Kyle O’Reilly/Bobby Fish/Jay Lethal vs Adam Cole/ACH/Roderick Strong/Tomasso Ciampa Elimination ROH Champions vs All-Stars 10/11/14

Good, but not as great as last year. A lot of storylines, but the mix of faces and heels kind of left the crowd confused on how to react.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Watched: Los Ben Dejos vs. Dave Crist/Jake Crist AAW Path of Redemption 2/28/14

Not bad, but it could have been better at times.

Watched: Michael Elgin/Ethan Page vs. Louis Lyndon/Marion Fontaine AAW Path of Redemption 2/28/14

Not good. There is just something wrong about junior wrestlers taking down the heavier wrestlers as easily as they did.

Watched: ACH vs. Rich Swann AAW Path of Redemption 2/28/14

This wasn’t good either. It felt like a complete house show effort along with apathetic crowd.

Watched: Silver Ant vs. Shynron Chikara Thunderball 10/25/14

Good carry job by Silver Ant. They did a technician/high flyer story, and Silver was awesome destroying Shynron’s arm and to be fair was sold well. Still, there is greenness in Shynron where he’s waiting for Silver to get in position for stuff and the finish although spectacular could have come off better.

Watched: Archibald Peck/Mark Angelosetti/Shane Matthews/Ice Cream Jr. vs. Ashley Remington/Dasher Hatfield/Scott “Jagged” Parker/El Hijo del Ice Cream Chikara Moonraker 10/26/14

Every bit as ridiculous of a comedy match as the BOLA night 3 8 man.

Watched: Icarus vs. Jimmy Jacobs Chikara Moonraker 10/26/14

Good match and the best Icarus match in a while. Jacobs did well in structuring the match without a story by building everything up so well. Still wanted a overall story, but considering that I thought this would be mediocre, it was a nice surprise.

Watched: Biff Busick vs. Drew Gulak CZW Déjà vu 2014 9/27/14

Good, but it kind of felt like a cornucopia of good random stuff, but without a purpose otherwise.

Honorable Mention: Shane Strickland vs. Mike Bailey CZW Tangled Web 7 10/18/14

I believe in Speedball and damnit give this guy more work. As far as CZW spotfests go, not counting Bailey/Busick as that was a CZW Flair/Houston, this was better than any match involving AR Fox. I don’t know if the new heelish persona has anything to do with it, but Shane was throwing some nice lumber in it as well. Don’t have enough spots to put it top 20, but it is certainly a top 30 match this year. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Watched: John Cena vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 10/27/14

A bit of a weird way to go about the match, but still good. Seth had the taped up ribs (which he sold well), but controlled the majority of it.

Watched: Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 11/3/14

The match was meh. I guess I was expecting more hate, but it felt like a normal match to me. Watch it for the angle afterwards.

Watched: Tyler Breeze vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT 11/6/14

Complete nothing match when Tyler was in control.

Watched: John Cena vs Ryback WWE Raw 11/10/14

Not good with a really lame finish.

Watched: Sami Zayn vs Tyson Kidd WWE Main Event 11/11/14

Not as good as I thought it would be. It had promise with the mat wrestling in the beginning, but then Tyson took over and it started to drag at points.

Honorable Mention: Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT 11/13/14

Best of the day and on the fence. Real nice stuff in the beginning where each tries to show the other up and eventually leads to the usual crazy finishing run that these two could pull off. This did seem to lack a middle to it which would be fine except Neville had clear control of the match. They apparently have a better one in them, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt here, albeit barely. HM.

Honorable Mention: Tyson Kidd vs. Cesaro vs. Dolph Ziggler Elimination WWE Smackdown 11/14/14

That was nuts. Best three way dance in a while. This was a match where they made every effort to try to go away from the 3 way tropes or doing them in a different way then what we are use to. Not a deep match, but just a fun spotfest and in a company that’s never had a consistent history of great spotfests, this will fill that need for you. HM.

Watched: Ryback vs Cesaro WWE Raw 11/17/14

Ryback can’t go in a real wrestling time environment. It was a miracle on Cesaro’s part to get it as close to good as he did.

Watched: Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose WWE Survivor Series 2014 11/23/14

Took a while, but the match eventually ended up being good. The match was an appetizer for the TLC match and there was just enough stiffness to it to make me want to see it.

Honorable Mention: John Cena/Dolph Ziggler/Ryback/Big Show/Erick Rowan vs. Mark Henry/Kane/Luke Harper/Alexander Rusev/Seth Rollins WWE Survivor Series 2014 11/23/14

Without question with the amount of time it got it was at least good. It wasn’t perfect though with the questionable Big Show turn and the Sting/HHH confrontation which took forever, but the match had a really great flow to it and made Ziggler into the man. Didn’t expect this many very good matches this month. HM.

Watched: Louis Lyndon vs Johnny Gargano AIW TGIF 2/7/14

Some good stuff, but I wanted more direction then the standard indy epic.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs Ethan Page AIW TGIF 2/7/14

Blah. Ethan Page just isn’t that good.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Drake Younger AIW TGIF 2/7/14

OK. The same issues that apply to Drake apply here.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Watched: Matt Sydal vs AJ Styles ROH on SBG 11/1/14

Not bad was I was expecting better.

Watched: Tomasso Ciampa vs Cedric Alexander ROH on SBG 11/8/14

The selling could have been better, but we did have the return of the old “hide the object under armpit” reversal.

Watched: Kyle O’Reilly/Bobby Fish vs Matt Taven/Michael Bennett ROH Glory by Honor XIII 11/15/14

It wasn’t good, but at least they didn’t take it too seriously.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Christopher Daniels ROH Glory by Honor XIII 11/15/14

OK, but way too long.

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs ACH ROH Glory by Honor XIII 11/15/14

Borderline good.

Watched: Delirious vs Adam Cole ROH Survival of the Fittest Night 1 11/7/14

Against all odds, it was good. Enough good comedy and hiding of Delirious’s weaknesses not be a waste of time. Good job by Cole.

Watched: ACH vs. Matt Sydal ROH Survival of the Fittest Night 1 11/7/14

Good, but somewhat marred by a quiet crowd.

Watched: Briscoes vs Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian ROH Survival of the Fittest Night 2 11/8/14

Good match minus the weird ending.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. Matt Sydal/ACH ROH on SBG 12/13/14

Another Young Bucks match on the borderline, because they can’t have bad matches at this point. Still, it is a formula match for them at this point so I can’t quite give them the nod here despite the awesome finishing run.

Watched: Dasher Hatfield/Mark Angelosetti vs. Blaster McMassive/Max Smashmaster Chikara Tomorrow Never Dies 12/6/14

Pretty awkward match at times. They just didn’t seem to be on the same page at times.

Watched: Fire Ant, Silver Ant, Worker Ant, Amasis, Ophidian, Kodama, Obariyon, & Jervis Cottonbelly vs. Jakob Hammermeier, Nøkken, Flex Rumblecrunch, Jaka, Oleg The Usurper, Oliver Grimsly, Soldier Ant, & Volgar Cibernetico Chikara Tomorrow Never Dies 12/6/14

Good, but could have been nomination worthy if some of the eliminations weren’t so anticlimactic. The pace and storytelling were there to be great, it was just a little too flat at points.

Watched: Deucalion vs. Icarus Cage Match Chikara Tomorrow Never Dies 12/6/14

For a match with a an untrained wrestler and a mediocre wrestler, it was ok.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Watched: Jay Lethal vs ACH ROH on SBG 11/15/14

It got interesting once ACH took a scary bump off the announce table, but this is not making me forget there broadway from a few months ago.

Watched: AJ Styles vs Hanson ROH on SBG 11/22/14

Good match. Hanson mostly controlled this and did a really nice job with his old school clubbering and did really well in selling the leg down the stretch. I don’t think there was enough substance in the control segment to get it over the top however.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Matt Sydal ROH on SBG 11/29/14

Good, but directionless.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH Final Battle 2014 12/7/14

Meh. I mean I guess it was better then there overhyped epics, but the crowd wasn’t hugely into it.

Watched: ACH/Young Bucks vs. Caprice Coleman/Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian ROH Final Battle 2014 12/7/14

Good as you would expect. Can’t go all the way because there were a few too many luls in it, but yeah, I will not tire of YB matches.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs Matt Sydal ROH Final Battle 2014 12/7/14

This stunk. No flow what so ever.

Watched: Bobby Fish/Kyle O'Reilly vs. Alex Shelley/KUSHIDA ROH Final Battle 2014 12/7/14

Got good in the end, but it was too late at that point.

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs. Adam Cole Fight Without Honor ROH Final Battle 2014 12/7/14

It was good as a feud ender, but I just don’t see it as elite level.

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Cedric Alexander No DQ ROH on SBG 12/20/14

I think this was better then anything at Final Battle with the irony being that they took a TNA idea in order to do it. I liked the general idea of having Cedric having to be more poised and bloodthirsty in order to take Ciampa out. Still, it has the usual issues of people not selling the big stuff enough. Have that and it probably get an HM, but there just wasn’t enough of it. Still need DBD night 2 and I’ll be finished with ROH.

Watched: Shane Strickland vs. Joe Gacy CZW Cage of Death XVI 12/13/14

Not good until the end.

Watched: Alex Colon vs. AR Fox vs. Caleb Konley vs. David Starr vs. Jonathan Gresham vs. Mike Bailey CZW Cage of Death XVI 12/13/14

Decent spotfest, but a little disappointing.

Watched: Dave Crist/Jake Crist vs. Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards CZW Cage of Death XVI 12/13/14

Good dream match. Just these two teams doing there thing, but they both do it well.

Watched: Sozio vs. Biff Busick vs. BLK Jeez vs. Drew Gulak Cage of Death CZW Cage of Death XVI 12/13/14

I say in the upper echelon of Cage of Death matches, but still only good. It had just enough blood letting and good wrestlers to make it a somewhat satisfying conclusion. Some may be turned off by the weed whacker torture, but it was the ending of the match so I can live with that.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Watched: Finn Balor vs Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 11/27/14

Minus some sweet mat wrestling in the beginning, I don’t have a clue why this was recommended by anyone.

Watched: John Cena/Dolph Ziggler/Ryback vs Seth Rollins/Luke Harper/Kane WWE Raw 12/1/14

I’ll be nice and say it was good, despite being a bit chinlocky.

Watched: Ascension vs. Finn Balor/Hideo Itami WWE NXT Takeover: R Evolution 12/11/14

Barley good because of Balor, Itami, and the heat. Ascension have some pieces, but you can’t just stand around after every move trying to get heat that’s never going to come. It just kills the pace of the match.

Watched: Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks WWE NXT Takeover: R Evolution 12/11/14

Good, but I don’t buy the notion that this was the best divas match of the year.

Honorable Mention: Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT Takeover R Evolution 12/11/14

It’s very good, but not a classic. The match works as a feud ender in tying all the moments throughout, but you won’t get the jaw dropping athleticism you expect from these two. With that in mind, it works just enough, but I’m not going to have this in the top 20. HM.

Honorable Mention: Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper Ladder Match WWE Tables, Ladders, and Chairs 12/14/14

Just enough over the borderline to be recommended. This was a really reckless match and both bled and just took the most awkward bumps possible. It did seem to lose starch down the stretch and that’s why it’s not top 20, but it’s another notch in Dolph’s belt and Luke finally has that standout singles match. HM.

Watched: John Cena vs Seth Rollins Tables Match WWE Tables, Ladders, and Chairs 12/14/14

Despite the flaws, I still think it ended up being good. Mercury/Noble’s interference was too much for my liking and I don’t think they should have been getting more offence in on Cena then Rollins did at times. The stretch run helped it big time so it exceeded my expectations there.

Watched: Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose TLC Match WWE Tables, Ladders, and Chairs 12/14/14

Good match. They actually did about as well to minimize the flaws of that match as they could have including the finish, which blew, but wasn’t as bad as I initially thought.

Watched: John Cena vs Seth Rollins Cage Match WWE Raw 12/15/14

Pretty damn good formula cage match. Same in the tables match in that they got around the weaknesses of the cage match as best they could but with better timed and not as blatant interference.

Watched: Kevin Owens vs Adrian Neville WWE NXT 12/18/14

Steen’s here and it was good all things considering. Kevin bails to the outside to slow it down so he can finally take control of the match. Finish was lame, but worked for what it was.

Watched: John Cena vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 12/22/14

I don’t even know why this was recommended especially after there other matches.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper WWE Raw 12/22/14

Another good match from Dolph to finish the year. He didn’t do much except get destroyed for 90% of the match, but since Luke is doing the destroying I enjoyed it. Was hoping for a more epic finish since I didn’t think Luke took enough damage to finish him off.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs Jay Lethal 2/3 Falls ROH Supercard of Honor VIII 4/4/14

Useless first fall, but got better farther in the match. Wouldn’t quite call it good though.

Watched: Kevin Steen VS Adam Cole ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

This feels like a very good match which deserves to be listed, the only problem was that the synchronization was off by 5 seconds in the last 10 minutes of the show. So the last 8 minutes of the match were off. With what I saw, Steen’s performance was house showish at points with the crowd pandering, but had his leg attacked all match and sold it well. Not a MOTYC, but if I can get this cleaned up, this will probably be considered very good. To be continued.

Update: I saw the tv version with some clipping, but it is all there and all in synch. Good, but doesn’t feel listable. Cole brought the great facial expression and leg attack and Steen sold well, but it felt too much like a modern day formula ROH title match and with Steen not taking this seriously enough, I can’t justify listing it.

Honorable Mention: Jay Lethal vs Matt Taven Steel Cage ROH Field of Honor 8/15/14

I’ll say that was the best I’ve ever seen Taven look in a match and actually thought it was very good. The match was under 15 minutes and literally had no stupid cage match tropes and just elected to tell the story of there feud and make it the fight in the cage that every other company that does a cage match should be doing. Wasn’t really high on the finish where Jay no sold the superfly splash and the finish where Taven didn’t get any revenge which felt like a burial to me. But considering this show was said to be shit, we too very good matches out of it. HM.

Watched: Jimmy Jacobs vs Tomasso Ciampa ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 1 8/22/14

Good short match. They did well establishing Jimmy trying to take the wind out Ciampa, but it was not enough there to be great. I can definitely live with Jacobs having these short little sprints.

Watched: Silas Young vs. ACH vs. Michael Bennett vs. BJ Whitmer ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 2 8/23/14

Considering the people involved, it turned out alright. But BJ shouldn’t have gotten as much offence on the other three in my opinion.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs Tomasso Ciampa ROH Death Before Dishonor XII Night 2 8/23/14

Good in spite of the dumb back kicking spots and the no selling at the end. At least they were not afraid to lay the lumber in.

I am sick as hell over the fact that I can’t get the Styles.Alexander and 8-man elimination tags.

Watched: Honor Rumble ROH on SBG 10/11/14

Considering what you usually get from these Rumble type matches, this was pretty good. No waste to any of the storylines, and the fact that the entrant came out once every minute meant it didn’t overstay its welcome.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs Adam Cole ROH on SBG 10/18/14

Good storyless match. A bit bland, but it made Cedric look like a future contender.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Brian Kendrick ROH on SBG 12/27/14

This looked move for move like Cole’s match with Cedric Alexander.

Watched: reDRagon vs. Briscoes vs. Addiction vs. Matt Sydal/ACH ROH on SBG 12/27/14

Lost a lot of starch before the second elimination. Just OK.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs ACH ROH Michael Bennett’s Bachelor Party 10/9/14

The story was there, but there effort was in cruise control.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Watched: Johnny Mundo vs Prince Puma Lucha Underground 10/29/14

Mundo is John Morrison and Puma is Ricochet. Good match. Mostly a storyless spotfest that probably could have been shorter, but this was the first main event and they wanted to establish these two.

Watched: Drago vs. Fenix vs. Pentagon Jr. Lucha Underground 11/12/14

Good spotfest, but not enough to list.

Watched: Pentagon Jr. vs Fenix Lucha Underground 11/19/14

Another good one. I will say that I am picking up a pattern in that these matches don’t put selling at the forefront and that the commentary sucks. This kept with the trend.

Watched: Prince Puma vs. Big Ryck Boyle Heights Street Fight Lucha Underground 11/26/14

Ryck is Ezekiel Jackson. Good, but I think this could have accomplished the same thing if this were a normal match. But this is the best I remember liking Jackson however.

Watched: Johnny Mundo vs. Big Ryck vs. Prince Puma Ladder Match Lucha Underground 12/10/14

Good again, but there have been better ladder matches.

Watched: Big Ryck vs. Prince Puma vs. Fenix vs. Pentagon Jr. vs. Son of Havoc vs. El Mariachi Loco vs. Mascarita Sagrada vs. Drago vs. King Cuerno vs. Super Fly Lucha Underground 12/17/14

I know I’m repeating myself, but another good match. I’m still waiting for that great LU match, but they are worth keeping track of in 2015.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Watched: AR Fox/ACH/Rich Swann vs Bobby Fish/Johnny Gargano/Chuck Taylor PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

Fine for what it was, but I’ve seen better.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs Adam Cole PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

Good little hate filled match. A bit too basic to be anything spectacular, but I liked it.

Listed: Chris Hero vs Trevor Lee PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

Awesome with these two just being made for each other. After the initial flurry in the beginning, Hero spends the majority of the match not taking Lee seriously and painfully shutting him down whenever he tries to turn the tide. The things that made this stand out were Lee actually treating Hero as the heavier threat, and the fact that whenever an opportunity came to hit a big move, he didn’t fuck around like that moonsault that almost took out a fan. #12 for now.

Watched: Uhaa Nation vs Tomasso Ciampa vs Biff Busick vs Brian Cage PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

Good in a brain dead way, but these four ways have been done better.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Chris Sabin/Matt Sydal PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

Fine, but the Bucks have had better matches.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly vs Ricochet PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

OK. It could have been worse.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly vs Roderick Strong Guerilla Warfare PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14

Good barely. I’m just happy I don’t have to watch anymore Kyle PWG matches for a while.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:39 am

Final List.

1. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14
2. Sami Zayn vs Cesaro WWE NXT Arrival 2/27/14
3. Ricochet/Rich Swann vs ACH/AR Fox PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14
4. Johnny Gargano vs. Rich Swann Evolution’s End Evolve 33 8/10/14
5. Kyle O’Reilly vs Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14
6. Chris Hero vs Trevor Lee PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14
7. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. HHH/Randy Orton/Batista WWE Extreme Rules 5/4/14
8. AJ Styles vs. Chris Hero ROH Flyin’ High 3/22/14
9. Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena vs. Christian vs. Sheamus vs. Cesaro Elimination Chamber WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14
10. Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey CZW New Heights 7/12/14
11. Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young No DQ ROH Summer Heat Tour: Cincinnati 7/18/14
12. Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins Lumberjack Match WWE Summerslam 8/17/14
13. Charlotte vs Natalya WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14
14. reDRagon vs. Young Bucks ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14
15. Young Bucks vs. reDRagon War of the Worlds 5/17/14
16. Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14
17. Adrian Neville vs. Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 6/12/14
18. Usos vs Wyatt Family 2/3 Falls WWE Battleground 7/20/14
19. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Raw 3/3/14
20. Tyson Kidd vs. Cesaro vs. Dolph Ziggler Elimination WWE Smackdown 11/14/14

Honorable Mention
Johnny Gargano and Jon Davis vs. AR Fox and Uhaa Nation Evolve 26 1/11/14
Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan WWE Royal Rumble 1/26/14
Adam Cole/Kevin Steen vs Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14
AJ Styles vs. Roderick Strong ROH on SBG 2/1/14
Sheamus/Christian vs. Jack Swagger/Antonio Cesaro WWE Raw 2/10/14
Jake Manning vs. John Skyler I Quit Match PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14
Caleb Konley vs. Cedric Alexander PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14
Bo Dallas vs Adrian Neville Ladder match WWE NXT Arrival 2/27/14
Briscoes vs. Outlaws Inc. No DQ ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14
Michael Elgin vs. Cedric Alexander ROH Flyin’ High 3/22/14
Chris Hero/Masato Tanaka/Roderick Strong vs. Ricochet/Rich Swann/AR Fox DGUSA Mercury Rising 2014 4/5/14
Daniel Bryan vs. HHH WWE Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14
Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan vs. Sheamus/Big E. Langston/John Cena WWE Raw 4/7/14
Danny Havoc vs. Matt Tremont Deathmatch CZW To Infinity 4/27/14
Alberto Del Rio vs Sheamus WWE Raw 5/26/14
Tyler Breeze vs Sami Zayn WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14
AR Fox/Rich Swann vs Jake Crist/Dave Crist CZW Prelude to Violence 2014 5/31/14
John Cena vs Bray Wyatt Last Man Standing WWE Payback 2014 6/1/14
Adam Cole vs Tommaso Ciampa ROH Road to Best in the World Night 2 6/7/14
Cedric Alexander vs Kyle O’Reilly ROH Aftershock 7/12/14
Young Bucks vs. Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae Guerilla Warfare PWG Eleven 7/26/14
The Wolves vs The Hardys TNA Impact 7/31/14
Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher Evolve 32 8/9/14
Jay Lethal vs Matt Taven Steel Cage ROH Field of Honor 8/15/14
Michael Elgin vs Jay Briscoe vs AJ Styles vs Adam Cole ROH Field of Honor 8/15/14
Brock Lesnar vs John Cena WWE Summerslam 8/17/14
Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins Falls Count Anywhere WWE Raw 8/18/14
Zack Sabre Jr. vs Adam Cole PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 2 8/30/14
Jay Lethal vs. Cedric Alexander ROH All Star Extravaganza VI 9/6/14
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher Evolve 34 9/13/14
John Cena vs Brock Lesnar WWE Night of Champions 9/21/14
Usos/Sheamus vs. Goldust/Stardust/Cesaro WWE Raw 9/22/14
Shane Strickland vs. Mike Bailey CZW Tangled Web 7 10/18/14
Dolph Ziggler vs. Cesaro 2/3 Falls WWE Hell in a Cell 10/26/14
Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT 11/13/14
Tyson Kidd vs. Cesaro vs. Dolph Ziggler Elimination WWE Smackdown 11/14/14
John Cena/Dolph Ziggler/Ryback/Big Show/Erick Rowan vs. Mark Henry/Kane/Luke Harper/Alexander Rusev/Seth Rollins WWE Survivor Series 2014 11/23/14
Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT Takeover R Evolution 12/11/14
Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper Ladder Match WWE Tables, Ladders, and Chairs 12/14/14
jman9

Previous

Return to General Wrestling