2014 MOTYC

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

2014 MOTYC

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm

1. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14
2. Sami Zayn vs Cesaro WWE NXT Arrival 2/27/14
3. Ricochet/Rich Swann vs ACH/AR Fox PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14
4. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. HHH/Randy Orton/Batista WWE Extreme Rules 5/4/14
5. Johnny Gargano vs. Rich Swann Evolution’s End Evolve 33 8/10/14
6. AJ Styles vs. Chris Hero ROH Flyin’ High 3/22/14
7. Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena vs. Christian vs. Sheamus vs. Cesaro Elimination Chamber WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14
8. reDRagon vs. Young Bucks ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14
9. Young Bucks vs. reDRagon War of the Worlds 5/17/14
10. Charlotte vs Natalya WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14
11. Kyle O’Reilly vs Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 3 8/31/14
12. Chris Hero vs Trevor Lee PWG Black Cole Sun 12/12/14
13. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Raw 3/3/14
14. Chris Hero/Masato Tanaka/Roderick Strong vs. Ricochet/Rich Swann/AR Fox DGUSA Mercury Rising 2014 4/5/14
15. Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14
16. Adrian Neville vs. Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 6/12/14
17. Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins Lumberjack Match WWE Summerslam 8/17/14
18. Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young No DQ ROH Summer Heat Tour: Cincinnati 7/18/14
19. Biff Busick vs. Mike Bailey CZW New Heights 7/12/14
20. Usos vs Wyatt Family 2/3 Falls WWE Battleground 7/20/14

Honorable Mention
Johnny Gargano and Jon Davis vs. AR Fox and Uhaa Nation Evolve 26 1/11/14
Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan WWE Royal Rumble 1/26/14
Adam Cole/Kevin Steen vs Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14
AJ Styles vs. Roderick Strong ROH on SBG 2/1/14
Sheamus/Christian vs. Jack Swagger/Antonio Cesaro WWE Raw 2/10/14
Jake Manning vs. John Skyler I Quit Match PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14
Caleb Konley vs. Cedric Alexander PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14
Bo Dallas vs Adrian Neville Ladder match WWE NXT Arrival 2/27/14
Briscoes vs. Outlaws Inc. No DQ ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14
Michael Elgin vs. Cedric Alexander ROH Flyin’ High 3/22/14
Daniel Bryan vs. HHH WWE Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14
Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan vs. Sheamus/Big E. Langston/John Cena WWE Raw 4/7/14
Danny Havoc vs. Matt Tremont Deathmatch CZW To Infinity 4/27/14
Alberto Del Rio vs Sheamus WWE Raw 5/26/14
Tyler Breeze vs Sami Zayn WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14
AR Fox/Rich Swann vs Jake Crist/Dave Crist CZW Prelude to Violence 2014 5/31/14
John Cena vs Bray Wyatt Last Man Standing WWE Payback 2014 6/1/14
Adam Cole vs Tommaso Ciampa ROH Road to Best in the World Night 2 6/7/14
Cedric Alexander vs Kyle O’Reilly ROH Aftershock 7/12/14
Young Bucks vs. Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae Guerilla Warfare PWG Eleven 7/26/14
The Wolves vs The Hardys TNA Impact 7/31/14
Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher Evolve 32 8/9/14
Jay Lethal vs Matt Taven Steel Cage ROH Field of Honor 8/15/14
Michael Elgin vs Jay Briscoe vs AJ Styles vs Adam Cole ROH Field of Honor 8/15/14
Brock Lesnar vs John Cena WWE Summerslam 8/17/14
Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins Falls Count Anywhere WWE Raw 8/18/14
Zack Sabre Jr. vs Adam Cole PWG Battle of Los Angeles Night 2 8/30/14
Jay Lethal vs. Cedric Alexander ROH All Star Extravaganza VI 9/6/14
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Timothy Thatcher Evolve 34 9/13/14
John Cena vs Brock Lesnar WWE Night of Champions 9/21/14
Usos/Sheamus vs. Goldust/Stardust/Cesaro WWE Raw 9/22/14
Shane Strickland vs. Mike Bailey CZW Tangled Web 7 10/18/14
Dolph Ziggler vs. Cesaro 2/3 Falls WWE Hell in a Cell 10/26/14
Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT 11/13/14
Tyson Kidd vs. Cesaro vs. Dolph Ziggler Elimination WWE Smackdown 11/14/14
John Cena/Dolph Ziggler/Ryback/Big Show/Erick Rowan vs. Mark Henry/Kane/Luke Harper/Alexander Rusev/Seth Rollins WWE Survivor Series 2014 11/23/14
Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn WWE NXT Takeover R Evolution 12/11/14
Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper Ladder Match WWE Tables, Ladders, and Chairs 12/14/14
Last edited by jman9 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:53 am, edited 60 times in total.
http://jmanwrestlingenterprisereviews.blogspot.com
Because someone has to review matches outside the WWE. Currently doing ROH.
jman9

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

Re: 2014 MOTYC

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Watched: Trent Baretta vs. Anthony Nese Evolve 25 1/10/14

Man was that such a cookie cutter beginning to the match. Back and forth in the end didn’t help.

Watched: Chris Hero vs. Ricochet Evolve 25 1/10/14

Good match, but I didn’t think Ricochet put his heart into the selling of the match or showing fire. Hero gave him a good ass kicking, but it wasn’t as disgustingly violent as his match with Gargano.

Watched: Johnny Gargano, Harlem Bravado, and Lance Bravado vs. Rich Swann, Matt Jackson, and Nick Jackson Evolve 25 1/10/14

Good match with the face Bucks. You had some nice trolling from Gargano and Bravados with there future opponents and you had the usual fun Bucks stretch run. It’s pretty much the usual good PWG six man, but happening in Evolve.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Davey Richards Evolve 25 1/10/14

Despite what it looked on paper, I wouldn’t argue with someone if they thought this match was good. Both wrestlers weaknesses were minimized to a point and didn’t venture into overkill. Davey shouldn’t have done leg work (even if it was just for a few minutes) if Fox wasn’t going to sell it, but as a moves match where the selling and timing was pretty decent, it was better then it had the right to be.

Watched: Ricochet vs. Trent Baretta Evolve 26 1/11/14

Good match, better then Ricochet’s match with Hero. More of the usual match you see in Evolve with no forced body part selling. Match was much crisper then what I saw in 25. However, I am seeing the back and forth no selling patterns in the stretch run with Trent’s matches. His matches are good, but unless he tones that shit down, he not going to have anything that is listable.

Listed: Johnny Gargano and Jon Davis vs. AR Fox and Uhaa Nation Evolve 26 1/11/14

This is riding the fence. I actually liked the idea of the champions and athletic powerhouses matching up with each other. Champions only get offense when they are using there high flying or in Gargano’s case is ineffective and no sold which actually works here because of the size difference. The tag match structure hides the usual weaknesses you see in Evolve and the finishing stretch was fun although the crowd didn’t explode. It isn’t top 20, but it’s there in the early going. #1, for now.

Watched: Chris Hero vs. Anthony Nese Evolve 26 1/11/14

Controlled too much by Nese. It was better then usual, but Nese does nothing for me.

Watched: Anthony Nese and Trent Baretta vs. AR Fox and Ricochet Evolve 27 1/12/14

It was alright at the end, but it was pretty shitty in the beginning.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Uhaa Nation Evolve 27 1/12/14

It was good I guess. I mean it sucked that the key transition in the beginning was botched and that the match mostly went nowhere. Interesting stuff happened in the end with the ring bell shot and was sold effectively, but it could have been so much more.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Watched: OI4K vs. The Juicy Product CZW Answering the Challenge 1/11/14

Good sprint, but I just don’t think I can list it. The match only went 11 minutes to its benefit, but you had some pretty choice mat wrestling, a short FIP, and a crazy ending with the table spot although I thought it was something that should have been set up during the match. The Juicy Product was good minus the annoying war cries, and one of the Christ’s made a tasteless Benoit joke which was met with silence. I just can’t do it. Slight no.

Watched: Aeroboy vs. Danny Havoc Ultraviolent Match CZW Answering the Challenge 1/11/14

I have no idea why they bother to bring Aeroboy over when you could have gotten any other scrub to do the same thing.

Watched: Biff Busick vs. Chris Dickinson CZW Answering the Challenge 1/11/14

Meh. Yeah, you had blood in the end, but it wasn’t as good as it looked on paper.

Watched: Goldust/Cody Rhodes vs. Antonio Cesaro/Jack Swagger WWE Raw 1/6/14

Good match unsurprisingly. The usual stuff that we got last year. I just want it to stand out a little more then the norm by giving the match a story because they are not as good as those spotfest tags you see in PWG. Actually less that and more the WWE doesn’t really allow that type of style here.

Watched: Roman Reigns vs. CM Punk WWE Raw 1/6/14

This feels like a match I should be loving more then I am. I feel they established Roman’s power and Punk’s strategy to ground him, but I think the actual story of the work on the ribs was kind of weak. Punk’s bump over the ring post wasn’t great and with the exception of a couple moves, Roman’s control didn’t do it for me with the crowd not having it until the BS in the end which woke them up. Maybe I’ll watch it at another point, but I’m not loving this.

Watched: Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton WWE Raw 1/13/14

I did not need to see a glorified squash where Orton slipped on a banana peel go as long as it did.

Watched: Adrian Neville vs. Tyler Breeze WWE NXT 1/16/14

Good, but it looked like Tyler gassed out in the end.

Watched: Kofi Kingston vs. Alexander Rusev WWE NXT 1/16/14

I know I’m a Kofi hater and all, but Rusev was really bad in this. I mean you have Kofi who is willing to die and all Rusev does is a bunch of low end strikes that bored me and the crowd. He’s not ready in the least.

Watched: Goldust/Cody Rhodes/Big E Langston vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns WWE Raw 1/20/14

Fun for the criminally short amount of time it got.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Watched: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 1/20/14

Fine, but this match has been run into the ground at this point.

Listed: Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan WWE Royal Rumble 1/26/14

Through so much pain in trying to find this match, it lived up to the hype. This was clinic in brutalizing not as much in the hate filled sense, but more in the context of a regular match. Both weren’t perfect. Bray could have cut some of the restholds, and Bryan could have hit some of his stuff cleaner. On the fence if this is a MOTYC, but I said the same thing with Show/Del Rio last year and I later thought it belonged in that conversation. We’ll see with that, but it’s #1 for now.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Watched: Daniel Bryan/John Cena/Sheamus vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns WWE Raw 1/27/14

Disappointing on the Shield match scale, although still good. Cena’s FIP died after Roman tagged out and was heatless until the hot tag. The ending sucked, but was a necessary evil.

Watched: Daniel Bryan/Rey Mysterio/Sheamus vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns WWE Smackdown 1/31/14

Better then the last match. Shorter match with a better FIP in Rey. I did like Rey not trying to go off the ropes when against Reigns in fear of getting speared, but when attempting the 619 gets cut in half in the end. Still have to say slight no.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton WWE Raw 2/3/14

I think this would have been better if they just cut the leg work on Randy. Mostly because Randy only sold it during his peril section and became an afterthought. Orton working Bryan’s arm was better and Bryan did just a bit better selling it then there match in December. But the December match had better callback spots and this match reminded me too much of that match. So good, but these are not capable of having that amazing match.

Listed: Sheamus/Christian vs. Jack Swagger/Antonio Cesaro WWE Raw 2/10/14

This was 100% ass beating fun. You have European violence with Sheamus/Cesaro with Sheamus firing up and nailing Cesaro in the teeth with an elbow and you had a Christian FIP which set up the Real Americans staples in the most organic way possible. Probably could complain about Swagger not being in position for Christian’s crossbody in the end, but you have some great strikers in this match which made this awesome. Doubt it will be top 20 however. #2.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. John Cena WWE Raw 2/10/14

House show match.

Watched: Christian, Daniel Bryan & Sheamus vs. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins WWE Smackdown 2/14/14

Fun again, but again these matches are blending together.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. Cesaro WWE Smackdown 2/14/14

Significant for Cesaro’s victory, although not for anything else. I guess Orton was using stalling to slow it down, but then that it was same old Randy.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 am

Waiting on the NXT Arrival reviews, two matches that could easily make your list.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 pm

I'll try to, but that entire week you speak of is loaded.

Watched: John Cena vs Cesaro WWE Raw 2/17/14

I am not as in love with this as I should be. The first half didn’t do anything and was a bit more of a "your turn my turn" match then I thought. The second half made this match good just for the significance of Cesaro beasting Cena and the final AA. Disappointing.

Watched: Wyatt Family vs. Rey Mysterio/Rhodes Brothers WWE Smackdown 2/21/14

I think I liked this better than the last match. It helped that the right people were the FIP in this. Almost crazy enough to list it, but the next trios match is getting hyped. So not the best reason to not include this, but this is the appetizer.

Listed: Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14

This was a war. I am glad they didn’t blow their loads right off the bat except for Dean going after Bray to calm the crowd and to establish how hot headed Dean is. They went the stiff regular tag match that you see from these two teams and then upped the insanity in the end. The whole story of karma catching up to the Shield especially Roman was pretty poetic. Sure the other trios matches involving these teams were good, but when you go the storyless route, they just aren’t going to compare to the indies in that is usually full of excess and there is more of an opportunity to do something memorable. Since this had a story and was really memorable, this stands out as the cream of the crop. MOTYC and #1.

Listed: Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena vs. Christian vs. Sheamus vs. Cesaro Elimination Chamber WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14

It was never going to be as good as Shield/Wyatts, but this was pretty damn sweet as well. It lived up to all the promise of the members in it and matchups I’ve seen the past couple weeks were there and were just as fun as ever with each elimination working for me. Some wanted Bryan to sell the shoulder more, but I didn’t think it was worked on enough to justify it although there wasn’t a point in having it wrapped in the first place. The final two seemed a bit rushed in the end. If they slowed it down, then I would say it’s a classic. It will probably be the best of the very good matches for a while. #2.

Watched: Christian vs. Sheamus WWE Raw 2/24/14

Good match despite the lukewarm crowd. Christian attacks the mid section and Sheamus sells admirably. Heel Christian is not as great as face Christian, but he had a nice brilliant focused attack. Too bad the match happened this week.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs. Kane WWE Raw 2/24/14

“Hey, I would like to see a Kane singles match” said no one. Bryan did what he could, but even working the arm, I couldn’t give any less of a fuck about Kane.

Listed: Sami Zayn vs Cesaro WWE NXT Arrival 2/27/14

Just when you think they couldn’t pull off another MOTYC, they do it again even when it wasn’t the 50/50 match I thought it would be. Zayn is trying to earn Cesaro’s respect but Cesaro’s beaten Orton, took Cena to the limit, and was in the championship mix at Elimination Chamber and he just straight up beats the dog shit out of Zayn. He pretty much does everything between power spots, sick uppercuts, and destroying his leg which Zayn does well in selling, but isn’t the whole story. Better then 2013, I say no because Zayn was closer to beating him in 2013 as opposed to here and thus had more drama. In 2014, it was not better then World War 4 at Elimination Chamber because that was a fresher matchup. But I would still be shocked if this didn’t finish in the top 20. #2.

Listed: Bo Dallas vs Adrian Neville Ladder match WWE NXT Arrival 2/27/14

I actually really liked this match and yet is only the fourth best match of the week (#ThisWeek). This is the best performance I’ve seen Bo in. He laid out his spots just right and had some really smart spots to trap Adrian. Neville took some nutty bumps when the time was right. The ending where Neville recovered a bit too quickly from the ladder powerbomb was jarring, but I liked enough stuff in it to include it for now. #5.

Listed: Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Raw 3/3/14

Well shit, this was insane again. This was about the Shield falling apart and Dean just being a rabid monkey all match all within the 10 or so minutes it went. I feel the only thing that prevents me from calling it a MOTYC is Seth’s sequences being a bit too similar to their EC match. Other than that, it is about as awesome as this type of shortened TV match gets. #4.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs. Kane WWE Main Event 3/4/14

I don’t think I could roll my eyes hard enough at this. This did not need 20 minutes and did not need Kane controlling as much as he did. At least with the Raw match, he had an out with the injured arm. Here they played it even and ended it on a rollup. Stupid.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs Bobby Fish ROH on SBG 1/25/14

Got good by the end, but took too long to get going.

Listed: AJ Styles vs. Roderick Strong ROH on SBG 2/1/14

On the fence. AJ performance was weird in that he was amazing for 95% of this, and botched the other 5% of this match. I would call this a spotfest with a little back work. It wasn’t worked on enough to be an issue and AJ sold the little of it fine enough. The finish was scary, but fitting in a fucked up way. #8.

Watched: Kyle O’Reilly/Bobby Fish vs. Tadarius Thomas/ACH ROH State of the Art 2/8/14

Minus some quality reDRagon jaw jacking and comedy, these guys didn’t seem to be on the same page. I will say ACH’s final dive to lead to the finish was absolutely nuts.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Jay Lethal vs. Kevin Steen vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH State of the Art 2/8/14

Kind of a house show match with the four faces of the company.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Watched: Shane Hollister vs. Jimmy Jacobs AAW The Chaos Theory 2014 1/24/14

Decent, but I don’t think either one of them is good enough to have an epic title match. There is being methodical and showing struggle, but not at the expense of exposing that you are giving an opponent an opening.

Watched: Ethan Page & Michael Elgin vs. Ricochet & Uhaa Nation AAW The Chaos Theory 2014 1/24/14

It’s kind of a slow burn, but I did enjoy this. They built the match on the Elgin/Uhaa battles which was a lot of fun and you had a fun indy finishing run. I just don’t think anybody had that stand out performance to really make this stand out otherwise so slight no.

Listed: Adam Cole/Kevin Steen vs Joey Ryan/Candice LeRae PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14

Thank god I didn’t list the last match because this was way better than that one. Cole and Steen are the biggest assholes in the world abusing and humiliating Candace and the crowd is molten for all of it. They have two FIP sections and nice payoffs from earlier in the match. Could have cut the Canadian Destroyer and Joey’s follow up superkick, but this was very good otherwise.

Listed: Ricochet/Rich Swann vs ACH/AR Fox PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14

This was crazy. This was a PWG spotfest all the way, but it just seemed better executed then there match last year where Del Sol was in ACH’s place. This match had a better middle, and funny comedy with Swann and ACH looking alike. Maybe a couple of little things that annoyed me, but it didn’t fall into some of the usual pitfalls that you see in PWG. MOTYC and #3.

Watched: Adam Cole/Kevin Steen vs Trent?/Chuck Taylor PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14

This was an under ten minute crowd brawl and finishing moves match. Good and different match then usual, but I don’t get the MOTN hype.

Watched: Chris Hero vs Drake Younger vs Kyle O'Reilly vs Johnny Gargano PWG DDT 2014 1/31/14

This was unique, but was really long. This was under Texas tornado rules, so the mat wrestling with all four wrestlers going with two one on one sections at the same time was something different. It just went far too long and the finishers kicked out began to pile up. With the wrestlers there, it was still good, but it was just too much.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Watched: Hanson vs Ray Rowe ROH Wrestling’s Finest 1/25/14

Good heavyweight slugfest. No semblance of a story, and more of a match to get themselves over and to prove they belong on the roster and in my eyes they accomplished that. Now I will seek out there matches when they are on a card so mission accomplished.

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Matt Taven vs. Jay Lethal ROH Wrestling’s Finest 1/25/14

Another good one. They pretty much went after each other and the gun and didn’t stop except at a couple points. Booking took over at the end and prevents me from listing this.

Watched: Andrew Everett vs Cedric Alexander ROH Wrestling’s Finest 1/25/14

Good match, but not seeing the hype. The match was treated like a spotfest in my view, but with enough space in between moves. I just didn’t think the execution was clean enough to be listable.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Kyle O'Reilly ROH Wrestling’s Finest 1/25/14

Good, but I thought it was the wrong result in the end. It was like Del Rio with his arm work only offense back then in that once the arm work didn’t work, it made it that obvious that he didn’t belong.

Watched: Matt Hardy & Adam Cole vs. Briscoes vs. Michael Elgin & Chris Hero Elimination ROH Wrestling’s Finest 1/25/14

Meh. Nothing amazing.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Watched: reDRagon vs. Adrenaline Rush ROH 12th Anniversary Show 2/21/14

Probably a better match then at State of the Art, but it’s still kind of lacking. The finish ruled however.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal ROH 12th Anniversary Show 2/21/14

Good, but maybe a bit too methodical. Styles was taking some nutty bumps on Jay’s offense, especially the tope where he landed on his head on the floor. But it was a bit too slow at points with not much payoff.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero ROH 12th Anniversary Show 2/21/14

On the fence. I liked big chunks of this with Hero destroying Cole and the Cole comedy in the early going which transitions into Cole working the head. But Hero’s selling after was non-existent which was a shame. You had the crowd mocking Cole’s war cry which was funny and annoying at the same time, and you had the ref bump which was lame. I’m going to say slight no.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs. Cliff Compton Unsanctioned Philadelphia Street Fight ROH 12th Anniversary Show 2/21/14

This sucked. Cliff is really awful. He can generate great heat, but that heat comes from him sucking so much. It was also not the most inspired Steen performance.

Watched: Rich Swann & Shane Strickland vs. Anthony Nese & Trent Baretta DGUSA Way of the Ronin 2014 2/23/14

Fun, but I was kind of taken aback by how bad the lighting is. The match was the usual spotfest tag deal. Fine for what it was, but I’ve seen it done better.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Roderick Strong DGUSA Way of the Ronin 2014 2/23/14

It was good, but it took too long to get going which is weird when Gargano had his chest busted open. The people going towards the ring like it was WXW was different, but the match was kind of bland otherwise.

Watched:
reDRagon vs. Adrenaline Rush vs. Outlaws Inc
reDRagon vs. Adrenaline Rush
ROH Raising the Bar Night 1 3/7/14

Interesting angle, but the matches were too lax on who the legal man was to be anything memorable.

Watched: Chris Hero vs. Roderick Strong ROH Raising the Bar Night 1 3/7/14

Good, but the commentary was distracting me at points. Good little strikefest.

Watched: Kevin Steen & Young Bucks vs. Briscoes & Michael Elgin ROH Raising the Bar Night 1 3/7/14

Good, but kind of a PWG-lite match. House showish.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Listed: Briscoes vs. Outlaws Inc. No DQ ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14

Fun little mid-naughts brawl which I tend to be a mark for. Normal match, then DQ, and then is turned into a No DQ match. Not elite level, but there was enough brutal shit in this to recommend it. #11.

Listed: reDRagon vs. Young Bucks ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14

Very good. Matt Jackson hand is broken, which gives them a disadvantage and leads to it being worked over. They don’t really work it over the way you would think and do it more as way of maintaining their advantage. Matt sells it all the way through, mostly because it does hurt like a mother fucker, and it makes it a different Young Bucks match than usual. I don’t see it being top 20, but it’s at least in the conversation. #6.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Chris Hero Ringmaster’s Challenge ROH Raising the Bar Night 2 3/8/14

Compared to the last Ringmaster’s Challenge, this was only good. I think it was the Ironman portion which did me in when it felt obvious they were burning clock in the end. These matchups were good, but I’m just done with this match up at this point.

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Jay Lethal ROH on SBG 3/15/14

Good hate filled match until the bullshit in the end.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus WWE Smackdown 3/7/14

It was good because these two do well against each other, but I still question Alberto doing arm work when he’s going to lose the match in the end.

Watched: Rhodes Brothers vs. Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns WWE Raw 3/10/14

Fine, but we’ve been there and done that with these two teams.

Watched: Christian vs. Sheamus Memphis Street Fight WWE Raw 3/10/14

Good, if you don’t take the match seriously. The finish was incredible, the match didn’t really have a high amount of drama to it.

Watched: Daniel Bryan/Big Show vs. Randy Orton/Batista WWE Raw 3/10/14

House show match.

Watched: AJ Lee vs. Natalya WWE Main Event 3/11/14

This actually got real time. The match was pretty submission heavy without any story to it with Natalya doing mostly restholds while AJ was climbing all over Natalya with her chokes, sleepers, and arm locks. I think this would work better as a 6-10 minute match then at 13.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio WWE Smackdown 3/14/14

Sprinty rushed version of what you see from these two.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan No DQ WWE Raw 3/17/14

Alright, but this match has been done to death at this rate.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Christian vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio WWE Raw 3/24/14

Some nice moments, but there was a lot of confusion and messy strikes.

Watched: John Cena vs. Luke Harper WWE Raw 3/24/14

Disappointing. Harper controlled most of it, but didn’t bring the wild strikes. Cena was in Super Cena mode and didn’t really make the match that compelling.

Watched: Kurt Angle vs. Bobby Roode Steel Cage TNA Impact 1/23/14

Same old Angle dipshitery.

Watched: Chris Sabin, Christopher Daniels & Kazarian vs. Sanada, The Great Muta & Yasu TNA Lockdown 2014 3/9/14

Perfectly fine undercard match.

Watched: James Storm vs. Gunner Last Man Standing TNA Lockdown 2014 3/9/14

Good I guess. Nothing wrong with it, but I’ve seen these types of brawls executed better.

Watched: MVP, Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, & Willow (Jeff Hardy) vs. Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Jessie Godderz & Robbie E. Lethal Lockdown Match TNA Lockdown 2014 3/9/14

The usual Lethal Lockdown match: perfectly fine match, but with the same old flaws that Wargames matches usually have with wrestlers standing around. Willow’s performance wasn’t even as bad as the internet was saying.

Watched: James Storm vs. Gunner No DQ TNA Impact 3/27/14

Reminded me too much of the Storm/Harris matches from 07 (can’t believe that was 7 years ago). The lack of blood didn’t help either.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Watched: Nation of Intoxication vs. OI4K vs. The Front vs. Juicy Product CZW 15th Anniversary 2/8/14

Fun for the six or so minutes it got.

Watched: AR Fox vs. BLK Jeez vs. Chris Dickinson vs. Drake Younger CZW 15th Anniversary 2/8/14

Didn’t like it. Everything that is bad about spotfest wrestling.

Watched: Drew Gulak vs. AJ Styles CZW 15th Anniversary 2/8/14

Good, but what an awful political finish. Still not seeing the love for Gulak who has neat ideas, but lacks polish.
jman9

PostPosted by Longshot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Alright, I'm ready for the Mania reviews jman.
Longshot
Site Admin

Favorite Wrestler/Fighter: La Parka

CM Punk
Favorite Show: Whatever is on.
Know more holds than Y2J?: I know over 1004 holds!

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:11 pm

Coming at you in a little bit, but first.

Watched: Adrian Neville vs. Bo Dallas WWE NXT 3/27/14

I didn’t mind the ideas in it, but I didn’t get the “great” vibe from it. Neville took to the air, and Bo took a more direct approach by nailing him with running clotheslines and elbows. Bo did well in telegraphing Neville’s signature offense, but I had this sense that it could have been better.

Listed: Daniel Bryan vs. HHH WWE Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14

As a WWE throwback to Danielson vs KENTA, this was very good in the least. Hunter really did an excellent job of dissecting Bryan’s arm and keeping focus unless the time called for it. For as much as we bitch about Hunter, he’s always known how to time his offense and gives Bryan just enough time to recover that it doesn’t come off as no selling on Bryan’s part. Bryan’s arm selling will be divided by some. If I could use another ROH match comparison, it reminded me of AJ Styles leg selling against Paul London. AJ didn’t necessarily sell it in the beginning, but the leg gradually got worse the farther the match went. That was Daniel’s arm selling in this match, it was good, but it didn’t have the payoff the Styles/London match had. Where to list, better than Bryan/Wyatt, not better than the higher end very good matches in Elimination Chamber and Wyatts/Shield 2. I could flip flop on this being listed, but right now is #6.

Watched: John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt WWE Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14

I actually thought this was good. You know those shoehorned matches where the title changes hand on DQ; it had that vibe to it except Bray is crazy enough to pull it off and the announcers are not hammering into your head. So Bray and the family is spending the majority of the match trying to make Cena paranoid to create openings on offense or to get him DQed. With that said, it still a Cena match and usually plays up to the opponent who he is against. Wyatt, is still filling in the blanks when it comes to working his singles match so it was a good formula singles match, but he’s had better.

Watched: Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar WWE Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14

As far as the match goes, this certainly didn’t suck and I could go as far as to say it was closer to good just based on how well Brock carried that match. The match was formula ROH right down to the early limb work not meaning anything. The big takeaway was how blown up (or concussed) Taker was. There were times he could not get up for several minutes and Brock bought as much time as possible. As far as the result goes, it was probably the right decision in the end. The problem was that they didn’t make Brock strong throughout the build. Whether that was intentional to get heat from the smarks or if it was a last minute decision, who knows, you still have to make the opponent strong from a future standpoint.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan WWE Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14

For what it accomplished it was good. Still it was Orton and Batista and there was always going to be a ceiling to it and there wasn’t enough of a story to it to make it unique.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Listed: Michael Elgin vs. Cedric Alexander ROH Flyin’ High 3/22/14

On the borderline for me. It was pretty much your standard ROH midcard epic to elevate Cedric, so don’t expect a direction. Elgin is a top 10 indy wrestler, so he made this good in the least and Cedric was hitting some sweet forearms and was real good out there. Although it didn’t go long, I didn’t like Cedric eating five powerbombs in two minutes in the end. Minus that, they gave enough space in between moves and I’ll throw it up there, barely. #13.

Listed: AJ Styles vs. Chris Hero ROH Flyin’ High 3/22/14

This match delivered what you wanted. The match progressed in a logical way with the back/neck work, but being thwarted by Hero booting AJ’s face off repeatedly. They were a couple moments where they weren’t in position, but the layout of the match makes this my top ROH match so far. #7.

Watched: AJ Styles vs Michael Elgin ROH on SBG 3/29/14

This was a 30 minute draw where it felt like they were still holding back for a rematch. As good as these two are, the match never had anything going for it.

Watched: Raymond Rowe & Hanson vs. reDRagon vs. Forever Hooligans ROH Supercard of Honor VIII 4/4/14

Good little spotfest. They kept the comedy spots contained in the first half and the action in the second half. Worked for what it accomplished, but not essential.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Kevin Steen ROH Supercard of Honor VIII 4/4/14

Good slugfest although I’m not convinced that it’s great. ROH epic with no story or great long term selling which feels cliché at this point. It had moments, but after awesome striking I’ve seen today, this just won’t do it.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Jay Briscoe Ladder War ROH Supercard of Honor VIII 4/4/14

Good, but I think Cole ate too much offense in the end. Good story with Jay just electing to destroy Cole instead of getting the belt because he hates him so much. Interference made sense, but it didn’t really make them look good as a unit, nor did it lead to a good finish.

Watched: Chris Hero vs. Masato Tanaka DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 4/4/14

God damn the quality of Gabe’s shows. I legitimately thought I was watching a wrestling match from the 80’s. It was that bad. From what I could make out from this match, it was a good dream match. It was these two trading elbows and shots and the crowd was pleased with that with Masato goading Hero into strike exchanges because he felt he could withstand whichever shot Hero hit. I would like a better quality to see if it stands up, but right now it’s a no.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Ricochet DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 4/4/14

Gargano was the reason this was as good as this was. Had fine work on the arm, and did well in his sections of the match including the somewhat annoying strike trading. The stuff with Ricochet no selling the Gargano Escape were really bad though. He has fun spots, but he’ll either whiff on something or have a weird selling moment. Gargano had to lose, but I don’t know how this is any better for the future.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Watched: Big E. Langston vs. Jack Swagger WWE Elimination Chamber 2/23/14

Good big hoss match. The selling wasn’t there to make it great in Jack’s mid section and Langston’s ankle in the end, but I liked it in a vacuum.

Watched: Cesaro & Jack Swagger vs. Cody Rhodes & Goldust WWE Main Event 3/18/14

Didn’t do anything for me. We’ve been there and done that with them.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus WWE Main Event 3/25/14

Except for the original finish, this blew.

Watched: Cesaro & Jack Swagger vs. Curtis Axel & Ryback vs. Diego & Fernando vs. Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso Elimination Match Wrestlemania XXX 4/6/14

Good match, but I just wish we had the Real Americans/Usos singles match. The other teams were fine, but there was no chance in hell of them winning.

Listed: Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan vs. Sheamus/Big E. Langston/John Cena WWE Raw 4/7/14

I am in shock that no one is giving this match more love because I really liked this. The after Wrestlemania crowd loved the Wyatts and it really had a great atmosphere to it. However, this was a big hoss six man with the continued story of Cena going after Wyatt with it going the right amount of time. Putting it above Bryan/HHH for now. #6.

Watched: Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Main Event 4/8/14

I wanted this to be great, but it was just good. Didn’t have the same buzz, and I thought the Wyatts controlled too much of it for a match that went pretty long.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Batista WWE Smackdown 4/18/14

It wasn’t bad, but it hardly set my world on fire.

Watched: Rob Van Dam vs. Cesaro WWE Raw 4/21/14

It wasn’t as wretched as I thought it would be except for one really bad sequence in the beginning.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Titus O'Neil WWE Main Event 4/22/14

Not bad. Titus has improved in some areas as a singles wrestler, but he still needs a little more seasoning to have a shot at the main event scene.

Watched: Ricochet vs. Anthony Nese Evolve 28 4/3/14

Good match. Nese still can’t put a compelling middle together, but they made it worthwhile in the finishing run.

Watched: Drew Gulak vs AR Fox CZW High Stakes 5 3/8/14

A match with an interesting Ground vs High Flyer dynamic got worse the longer it went along.

Listed: Chris Hero, Masato Tanaka, and Roderick Strong vs. Ricochet, Rich Swann, and AR Fox DGUSA Mercury Rising 2014 4/5/14

Very good match. This was strikers vs flyers and the strikers stomped a pretty big mud hole into the flyers. It went a bit too long on Fox’s FIP, but there was enough quality throughout the near 30 minute match to list it. #12.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Andrew Everett vs. Mike Bailey CZW Best of the Best XIII 4/12/14

Good. You know what you get with Fox and Everett, but Bailey didn’t embarrass himself. He did look nervous at points, but didn’t blow anything otherwise.

Watched: Biff Busick vs. Chuck Taylor CZW Best of the Best XIII 4/12/14

Not a good performance by Chuck, Biff basing around the rear naked choke was good, but then he got injured and had to grind the match out. Good for Biff though.

Watched: AR Fox vs. Drake Younger CZW Best of the Best XIII 4/12/14

They made the best possible decision having this match go under ten minutes and was good because of it. The selling flaws were still there for both wrestlers, but it would have sucked if it went longer.

Watched: Biff Busick vs. Drake Younger CZW Best of the Best XIII 4/12/14

Alright, but classic Drake to kick out of too many finishers.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat May 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Watched: Usos/Sami Zayn vs. Ascension/Corey Graves WWE NXT 4/24/14

Got good on the hot tag, but the heels were whatever.

Watched: Sheamus vs Bray Wyatt WWE Main Event 4/29/14

People were trying to get me hyped for this, but this didn’t do it for me. Didn’t have the necessary stiffness to make it great.

Watched: Sheamus/Usos vs Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Smackdown 5/2/14

Good match. Some nice stiffness, but was mostly Sheamus vs the Wyatts. Better than at Main Event, but I wanted it to go a bit longer to bring it over the top.

Watched: RVD vs Jack Swagger vs Cesaro Elimination WWE Extreme Rules 5/4/14

Got good after Swagger was eliminated. I was just disturbed how the announcers didn’t know what the stipulation of the match was.

Listed: Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. HHH/Randy Orton/Batista WWE Extreme Rules 5/4/14

Another sweet trios match from the E. Evolution stuck to cheating behind the ref’s back and visual taunting which made it different enough from other Shield matches. No one really embarrassed themselves on Evolution and the crowd brawl which could have been annoying made sense here in order for Reigns and Batista to sell getting hit with finishers. I could buy the notion that it was a MOTYC, but it may take a time. #4.

Watched: Daniel Bryan vs. Kane Extreme Rules Match WWE Extreme Rules 5/4/14

I guess it was there best match together this year based on the gimmick. It was unique in that they were doing stuff that you never would have thought would be done ever again like the fire table, but it was that much more obvious with the fire extinguishers in the background. So, good I guess.

Watched: Alberto Del Rio vs Daniel Bryan WWE Raw 5/5/14

Good match. Nothing deep minus the slight leg work which led to Del Rio trying to do the kneeling superkick, missing, collapsing, and getting kicked in the head.

Watched: Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan WWE Raw 5/5/14

The match was good, but it reminded me a bit too much like the Shield’s match with Evolution. It did get crazy in the end like it always does with these two, but it is getting a bit repetitious.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs Trevor Lee vs Andrew Everett PWG Mystery Vortex II 3/28/14

Good, but probably had a bit too much botching to be recommended. All three deserve to be back, but I think Andrew was the best of the three.

Watched: Brian Cage/Michael Elgin vs AR Fox/ACH vs Rich Swann/Ricochet PWG Mystery Vortex II 3/28/14

I dig most of these guys more than most, but this was too bloody long and the execution was sketchy at best.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs Kyle O'Reilly PWG Mystery Vortex II 3/28/14

I think I could have lived with this if they ended it when Johnny was still selling the arm, but instead it became every token indy epic you’ve seen the past five years.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Chuck Taylor/Trent? PWG Mystery Vortex II 3/28/14

It was your regular good PWG Bucks match until the overbooking in the end. What made it awful was how many finishers the Bucks took and how easily Chuck got put down after.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Watched: Drew Gulak vs Biff Busick CZW To Infinity 4/27/14

Good match that was more mat based then what you usually see in CZW. It was good struggle based matwork with each strike or suplex being earned. However, tt didn’t need to be as long as it was because there wasn’t really a story and that it didn’t have the complex submission trading that I usually go for.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Watched: BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs vs. reDRagon vs. Briscoes ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

Good but rushed match. It wasn’t really short, but I thought the hot tag wasn’t built up well and came out of nowhere.

Watched: Roderick Strong VS Cedric Alexander ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

Wasn’t as good as it could have been. Cedric didn’t step up enough to make this match work.

Watched: Forever Hooligans VS Time Splitters VS The Young Bucks ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

I want to list this for the very good second half, but the first half was messy and had miscommunication. Would definitely benefit from the old Ditch JIP clip job.

Watched: Jado & Shinsuke Nakamura VS Jushin Thunder Liger & Hiroshi Tanahashi ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

Nothing house show match for them.

Watched: Silas Young VS Matt Taven VS Tommaso Ciampa VS Jay Lethal ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

Nice sprint. Not classic, but a good buffer match between the New Japan matches.

Watched: Kazuchika Okada & Gedo VS AJ Styles & Karl Anderson ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

Good match and Gedo is way better than Jado. Predictable in what they were going for, and as an appetizer, it did its job.

Watched: Kevin Steen VS Adam Cole ROH Global Wars 5/10/14

This feels like a very good match which deserves to be listed, the only problem was that the synchronization was off by 5 seconds in the last 10 minutes of the show. So the last 8 minutes of the match were off. With what I saw, Steen’s performance was house showish at points with the crowd pandering, but had his leg attacked all match and sold it well. Not a MOTYC, but if I can get clean this up, this will probably be considered very good. To be continued.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. KUSHIDA ROH War of the Worlds 5/17/14

Not too bad, but not an underrated classic or anything.

Watched: Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson vs. Briscoes War of the Worlds 5/17/14

It was alright. Gallows was as awesome as I remembered, but they didn’t seem to be totally in sync in this match.

Watched: Kevin Steen vs Shinsuke Nakamura War of the Worlds 5/17/14

Good, although lacking that seriousness to be great. Both are great personalities, but there no selling will come out at times.

Watched: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Michael Bennett War of the Worlds 5/17/14

Sigh. It wasn’t terrible, but whenever Michael controls, he just tends to go too slow and with no direction to boot. I can live with stalling, but there have been too many wrestlers who have done it better over the years. Tanahashi was fine, but I feel like he has better in him.

Listed: Young Bucks vs. reDRagon War of the Worlds 5/17/14

This was better than I thought it would be. This was more of a Young Bucks match, but without the opening minutes which can drag with face Bucks matches. Matt’s hand is better, but they do a somewhat the same thing as there last match, but with Matt not selling it, which I’m okay with since it wasn’t a consistent attack. It also stayed away from the trappings of the usual Young Bucks matches minus Chasing the Dragon being kicked out of, but at least lead to the finish. Very good. #11 next to their first match.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Jushin Thunder Liger War of the Worlds 5/17/14

OK. Liger was good, Cole was coasting, and no one bought a title change so it was mostly silence.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Michael Elgin vs. Kazuchika Okada War of the Worlds 5/17/14

Good. The match had the usual three way issues, but no one gave a bad performance.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Watched: Caleb Konley vs. Rich Swann Evolve 29 5/9/14

It was actually a miracle it was as good as it was. The beginning was fine, but every stereotype you hear about crowd getting themselves over was here. Caleb impressed me and actually came to be on Swann’s level. If they work on a story and there timing, they have a very good match in them.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Biff Busick Evolve 29 5/9/14

OK, but only going to be significant for Biff being put over.

Watched: AR Fox and Uhaa Nation vs. Trent Baretta and Anthony Nese Evolve 29 5/9/14

It was good, but it took a bit too long to get going.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Watched: 3.0 vs. Jigsaw/Shard vs. Dasher Hatfield/Mark Angelosetti vs. 17/deviANT Chikara You Only Live Twice 5/25/14

Chikara’s back bitches, this match however was a whole lot of whatever. The domination on Dasher got tedious after a while.

Watched: Fire Ant, Green Ant, & Worker Ant(assailAnt) vs. Missile Assault Ant, Orbit Adventure Ant, & Arctic Rescue Ant Chikara You Only Live Twice 5/25/14

Good although rough around the edges. Colony Xtreme Force had much to do about the roughness.

Watched: Eddie Kingston vs. Icarus Chikara You Only Live Twice 5/25/14

The match felt about the same quality as last year, good, but Icarus doesn’t have the stamina to bring it over the top. Kingston was awesome as usual, and Icarus can get it done for 75% of it before he breaks down. Satisfying conclusion, but not listable.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Watched: Sheamus vs Dean Ambrose WWE Smackdown 5/9/14

Good match, but a bit too much no selling. Yes, it was under ten minutes, but I don’t expect suplexes on the concrete to be no sold. Other than that, it had some really nice struggle to it.

Watched: Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 5/15/14

Don’t see the hype for this. They were selling way too much for a match that went under 10 minutes.

Watched: Sheamus vs Cesaro WWE Raw 5/19/14

I may be crazy, but I thought this was on my borderline. It felt like a better version of Sheamus/Ambrose in that they space out the selling just right and had control shift in a logical manner. Some nice stiffness, but I think the apathy from the crowd is making me chicken out on this one.

Watched: Batista vs. Seth Rollins WWE Raw 5/19/14

Interesting for the commentary, but way, way too much Batista control.

Watched: Luke Harper vs John Cena WWE Raw 5/19/14

Better formula Cena match then usual with Harper breaking out the lucha.

Watched: Batista vs Dolph Ziggler No DQ WWE Smackdown 5/23/14

Good match mostly because Dolph had most of the control in the match. Had some nice call backs to their previous matches. Result wasn’t ever in doubt.

Listed: Alberto Del Rio vs Sheamus WWE Raw 5/26/14

Better than I thought it would be and even very good. Sheamus got cracked by Alberto’s kicks a couple times in that match and the match felt almost like a shoot at points. Sheamus was really selling like he had a concussion and I feel that this was the best of his under 10 minute matches today and for the year. #11, and my list is probably going to get weird.

Listed: Tyler Breeze vs Sami Zayn WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14

Another tricky one. Not a story to it, but just a really well-crafted match that you expect from Zayn. Minus the Orange Crush, everything went off without a hitch and it showed that Tyler really belonged maybe even more than Zayn. Again, not deep enough to stay top 20 by the end of the year, but deserves to be listed right now. #18.

Listed: Charlotte vs Natalya WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14

I think I can say without question that this is the best divas match I have ever seen. Part of it was having Ric and Bret and part of it was how the match was structured with it being mostly on the mat and really good mat wrestling at that. With the Natalya/AJ match, it felt like the submissions were restholds, while this match was pure catch-as-catch can wrestling. Even the story was there with Natalya taunting Ric and Charlotte turning the tables on Bret by doing the sharpshooter on Natalya’s injured leg (which was sold well). Minus the slapping, the striking was not really the strong suit of these two, but I still hope this match is a blueprint for divas matches in the future. New #11.

Listed: Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd WWE NXT Takeover 5/29/14

Fuckin hell, another sweet match. They played up as two wrestlers who are very similar with the veteran Kidd and hot shot sensation in Neville. I thought this had more of an overall story and better execution then Zayn/Breeze and will go a slot above it. #19.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Watched: Eric Young vs Abyss Monster’s Ball Match TNA Impact 4/17/14

Good hardcore match. Didn’t go too long and had the right story and momentum shifts, but these hardvore matches have been better in the past.

Watched: James Storm vs. Gunner I Quit TNA Sacrifice 4/27/14

This didn’t really do it for me. The crowd trying to sabotage it was part of it, but the way it was structured didn’t give them much a reason to care. It was Storm taking the majority and Gunner coming back with his fighting spirit. I think I would have preferred it to be more 50/50, but they weren’t really making with the awesome strikes.

Watched: Magnus vs Eric Young TNA Sacrifice 4/27/14

Impact main event at most.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Watched: Cesaro vs Sheamus WWE Payback 2014 6/1/14

Naturally another good match between these two, but not a great one. Some nice stiffness and hate, but too much no selling at times especially after the german suplex that Cesaro was putting people away with recently.

Listed: John Cena vs Bray Wyatt Last Man Standing WWE Payback 2014 6/1/14

This is going to be an impossible match to rate. I mean you have an insane amount of spots from these two, the Family, and the Usos, but the selling isn’t that great. If they transitioned better, then I could see it as a MOTYC, but as of right now, it strikes me as being very good. #17.

Watched: Shield vs Evolution No Holds Barred Elimination WWE Payback 2014 6/1/14

The supposed last match with the Shield and it is disappointing. The match fails as both an elimination match and a no holds barred match. Part was because of the structure and part was because Cena/Wyatt had a better hardcore match and it burned the crowd. The motives made sense, but that’s not a match that should be main eventing a PPV. As an aside, Seth was the only one to not hit a finisher on Evolution, but unless it is a red herring, the feels like the wrong time to do a turn.

Watched: Louis Lyndon vs. ACH AIW Gauntlet for the Gold 2014 3/14/14

First time watching AIW, and this was a good start. No direction to it, but it was a fun deal minus the awful finish.

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. Andrew Everett AIW Gauntlet for the Gold 2014 3/14/14

As far as Elgin vs high flyers go, it falls a bit short. I was expecting something crazier to happen and all we got was the usual you get from Elgin, which is still good, but we’ve been there and done that at this point.

Watched: 30 Man Gauntlet For The Gold AIW Gauntlet for the Gold 2014 3/14/14

It was fine and would probably help if I knew the storylines and wrestlers in this. As an indy Royal Rumble, it was interesting, but it still has the same issues as other battle royals.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Listed: Jake Manning vs. John Skyler I Quit Match PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14

Trying to expand my horizons on the indie scene which has been blah of late. And we are up to a good start, with this being a very good indie Shiek/Slaughter. Some nice punching, old school spots, and blood to really make it stand out in this sanitized period. I wasn’t thrilled with the commentators talking over the “I Quit” parts, the two big spots not being sold long enough, and the ending would have worked better if Skyler quit during the whipping. #17.

Watched: Elijah Evans IV & Ethan Case & Tommy Thomas vs. Eddie Rios & Jay Cruz PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14

Good match. This was actually a tag title match with Tommy as the manager, but didn’t play much of a factor. All four wrestlers were good for the most part with Case being the most impressive to me. The crowd wasn’t hyped enough to make this great, but I will keep an eye on these four.

Listed: Caleb Konley vs. Cedric Alexander PWX Rise of a Champion IX Night 1 2/15/14

This was a 45 minute indy epic that was actually really well built. They played it up as friends facing off with Caleb getting frustrated at Cedric for not being able to put Cedric away until he snapped. The match did go too long and had a lot of finisher overkill in it, but did drive the point that Cedric was better than Caleb. Not perfect, but one of the better 30+ minute matches of its kind and my new #17.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Matt Taven ROH Raising the Bar Night 1 3/7/14

Good match. It looked like they were going in a direction with arm work, but it never really materialized even though Taven was selling it the whole match. I at least feel safe in saying that Taven is a good face.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Delirious ROH Future of Honor 4/18/14

This match was a whole lot of whatever. Cole’s facial expression for Delirious were the highlight of this.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Watched: Michael Elgin vs. AJ Styles ROH on SBG 5/17/14

Really disappointing. This had early leg work didn’t end up mattering and really slow middle which killed it in the worse way possible especially in a 20+ minute match. Hell no.

Watched: ACH vs Roderick Strong ROH on SBG 5/31/14

Better than last match I guess, but I must say, ACH’s comeback was really shitty.

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs Michael Bennett ROH on SBG 5/31/14

OK. Bennett is just way to inconsistent.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Jimmy Jacobs vs Mark Briscoe Elimination ROH on SBG 6/7/14

Best of the SBG matches today. The three way had some sweet spots and the final two did well enough. A bit house showy but Mark made it fun enough.

Watched: ACH vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Caprice Coleman vs. Tadarius Thomas vs. Takaaki Watanabe vs. Tommaso Ciampa ROH Best in the World 6/22/14

Good spotfest, and closer to the borderline then I would have thought. Match would have benefitted with Ciampa as the hot tag, but it accomplished its spot as the opener.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs. Roderick Strong Submission ROH Best in the World 6/22/14

Good yet again, but I didn’t think it was an inspiring Strong performance. I was expecting more back work, but what I think we got was for the best since both can be checkered sellers at times. I did like Cedric’s out of nowhere submissions as a way of stopping runs and that back body drop on the edge of the apron was nuts. Still, it needed a more dynamic Strong performance to list it.

Watched: Briscoes vs. Matt Hardy/Michael Bennent No DQ ROH Best in the World 6/22/14

Good Briscoes carry job. Similar to the Briscoes matches against SCUM and Outlaws Inc. in that you have a normal match which is then thrown out and turned into a No DQ match. Some fun hardcore stuff, and then you have Bennett and Heel Hardy mediocreing it up. Only satisfying with Matt finally getting killed.

Watched: reDRagon vs. Christopher Daniels/Frankie Kazarian ROH Best in the World 6/22/14

It took a bit too long to get going, but it did get good by the end. reDRagon worked on Frankie’s arm and sold it real well to his credit, but something seemed to be missing from it. Part of it was that the Bucks matches were newer and just had hotter sequences to it.

Watched: Adam Cole vs. Michael Elgin ROH Best in the World 6/22/14

I know it was a title switch, but this still felt like finisher overkill. They did do well in chronicling Elgin’s story, playing off of moments in the feud and career, and mixing sequences up to show they know each other, I just think he needs another finisher to bring it all together. But the real killer is the lack of selling for them and this has been a theme in Elgin’s matches of late. I hope it gets better, but this will be the theme, then the indies will be getting more dire.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:20 am

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins WWE Smackdown 6/6/14

Good match, and I was closer to listing this then I would have thought. No direction, just a really well executed regular match where they were both on point and had some brilliant counters.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Wade Barrett WWE Raw 6/9/14

Good although the selling in the beginning and middle could have been better.

Watched: Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erik Rowan vs Dean Ambrose/Roman Reigns/John Cena WWE Raw 6/9/14

With Cena replacing Rollins…nothing changed and is now a matchup that is starting to feel stale.

Listed: Adrian Neville vs. Tyson Kidd WWE NXT 6/12/14

This match was very good again. A little more armlock trading in the beginning and the story of Kidd slowly losing it mentally when he couldn’t put Neville away and losing the match when Nattie stopped him from using a chair. NXT is the best at this point. #16.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 6/16/14

Some cool stuff, but not as good as the Smackdown match.

Watched: MITB Contender Battle Royal WWE Raw 6/16/14

It sure was a battle royal, but Reigns/Rusev was good in the end.

Watched: Wade Barrett vs Dolph Ziggler WWE Raw 6/23/14

Good Ziggler match again. No story again, but as a self-contained sub 10 minute match, these aren’t a bad way to spend your time.

Watched: Adrian Neville vs Rob Van Dam WWE NXT 6/26/14

It was interesting. It was different seeing RVD in control since he’s always been a face in WWE. He had some cool stuff in parts and then whiffed in others. OK.

Watched: Usos vs. Wyatt Family WWE Money in the Bank 2014 6/29/14

Borderline match. It was about as stiff as you would expect this matchup to be, but it still feels like its missing that extra something. I want to list it, but I just can’t do it.

Watched: Rob Van Dam vs. Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jack Swagger Ladder match WWE Money in the Bank 2014 6/29/14

Good in parts, especially Rollins/Ambrose, but as far as spotfest ladder matches go, it’s not the pinnacle.

Watched: Randy Orton vs. Kane vs. Roman Reigns vs. Sheamus vs. John Cena vs. Kane vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. Cesaro Ladder match WWE Money in the Bank 2014 6/29/14

I think I would have lived with this match more if it didn’t involve Kane and Orton. He is a glorified heavyweight under a mask who you rarely ever trust anything good to come out of. You want real security, get Big Show or Henry, but I’m tired of review Kane matches because there are more deserving wrestlers on this roster who deserve Kane’s spot at this point. The match: anything involving Kane blew, and anything involving anyone else was alright. Stop giving Kane work.
jman9

Next

Return to General Wrestling