2016 MOTYC

Post anything that doesn't fit into the other categories in here.

Re: 2016 MOTYC

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Watched: Matanza vs. Mil Muertes Graver Consequences Match Lucha Underground 5/11/16

Good, but not consistently enough. Nice monster vs monster match, but a bit too much furniture moving.

Watched: Dragon Azteca Jr./Rey Mysterio Jr./Prince Puma vs. Jack Evans/P.J. Black/Johnny Mundo Lucha Underground 5/25/16

Good spotfest.

Watched: Jack Evans/P.J. Black/Johnny Mundo vs. Rey Mysterio Jr./Dragon Azteca Jr./Prince Puma Lucha Underground 6/1/16

Another good one. More of an angle driven finish, and I’m pissed we are not going to get anymore of this.

Honorable Mention: Johnny Mundo vs. Taya vs. Pentagon Jr. vs. Ivelisse vs. King Cuerno vs. Fenix Elimination Match Lucha Underground 6/15/16

Way more on the fence then I would have guessed. This goes the entire episode where everything was at least good through all the falls. I feel this didn’t fall into any of the traps of elimination matches and softened the blow of stuff that you would shake your head at. Also had just enough story elements within the match. HM.

Watched: Prince Puma vs Dragon Azteca Jr. 6/29/16

Damn good match. A lot of impressive shit for the short amount of time it got.
http://jmanwrestlingenterprisereviews.blogspot.com
Because someone has to review matches outside the WWE. Currently doing ROH.
jman9

Know more holds than Y2J?: I don't know over 1004 holds.

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Watched: Chuck Taylor vs Trent? PWG Thrirteen 7/29/16

Good I guess. As we did not no we were getting hardcore match, I liked it.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Chris Hero/JT Dunn PWG Thrirteen 7/29/16

On the lower end of the Young Bucks scale.

Listed: Kyle O’Reilly vs Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Thrirteen 7/29/16

Very good, I think. Kyle I think had legit arm issues so his selling was about as good as it could get, Zack sold his leg well. It helped that the ref was checking on Kyle so he had more time to realistically recover and go on a run. Didn’t have the standout moments like the BOLA 14 moments and the ending was a bit of an anticlimax. I liked chunks of it, but this doesn’t feel like a match that will be there at the end of the year. #20.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin vs. John Cena vs. Apollo Crews WWE Smackdown 7/26/16

OK. Focused more on Corbin and Crews considering the final result.

Watched: Raul Mendoza vs. Brian Kendrick WWE Cruiserweight Classic 7/27/16

I really liked this for the 7 minutes it got, and yet I can’t list it. Brian I knew was good, but Raul really elevated himself after the match. I think the finish kind had that air of opening match storyline advancement to it. I guess I just wanted that traditional finishing run to it before the BS finish. I feel I am going to regret this decision.

Watched: Sami Zayn vs Seth Rollins WWE Raw 8/1/16

Pretty by-the-numbers but fine.

Watched: Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/3/16

I thought it was a better Ciampa performance then Gargano performance. I do think they could have rearranged the order of events in that match in order for a better overall match.

Watched: Sheamus vs Cesaro WWE Raw 8/8/16

Good hoss fight and they have more to come.

Watched: Gran Metalik vs. Tajiri WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/10/16

Good match. The mat stuff was nice, but then another sudden finish happened. Weird.

Listed: Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/10/16

Now this lived up to the hype. Neither did anything stupid and just played it even while spacing out there moves just enough. Helped that the anticipation ended up paying off big in these key spots. #10.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Listed: Brian Kendrick vs. Tony Nese WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/17/16

OK, this may be the best Nese single’s match I’ve ever seen. Kendrick tries to jump Nese at the gate and gets tagged with a knee and can’t against Nese for a chunk of it until he uses dirty tactics and eventually the arm to even it up. Nese sells well, but make no mistake this was great Kendrick performance with making most of Nese indie offense fit. #16.

Watched: Austin Aries vs No Way Jose WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II 8/20/16

Good grudge match. Jose equipped himself well in there with his great punches.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs Andrade Almas WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II 8/20/16

Good. Roode needs a better finisher though.

Listed: Revival vs. Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II 8/20/16

I’ve been waiting for that great Revival match, and we finally got it here. You get the usual awesome Revival shenanigans, although maybe not quite as great as there stuff with American Alpha. Where it goes next level is the finishing run and it is incredible. It helps that there opponents are more polished then Alpha and the crowd was incredible. This is going high. #3.

Watched: Asuka vs. Bayley WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II 8/20/16

I struggle to call this good. Did well in continuing the story there last match told, but it wasn’t as good of a Bayley performance.

Watched: Samoa Joe vs. Shinsuke Nakamura WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II 8/20/16

Good Joe match.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Cesaro Pre-show WWE Summerslam 8/21/16

I don’t get the hype. They’ve had so many better matches over the years.

Watched: Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte WWE Summerslam 8/21/16

Sasha tried kicking and screaming to at least make this good after Charlotte almost killed her on a botched turnbuckle backbreaker. Ran a bit too long in the end.

Watched: AJ Styles vs John Cena WWE Summerslam 8/21/16

Overlong Cena match again. This has a payoff if nothing else, but I’ve just grown numb of these at this point.

Watched: Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor WWE Summerslam 8/21/16

Good out side of the dumb superplex no sell.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Watched: Tony Nese vs Ricochet vs Matt Riddle Evolve 68 9/10/16

OK 3 way.

Watched: Drew Galloway vs Drew Gulak Evolve 68 9/10/16

Good until it overstayed its welcome.

Watched: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Johnny Gargano Evolve 68 9/10/16

Good match, but very house showy in the beginning.

Watched: Matt Riddle vs TJ Perkins Evolve 69 9/11/16

Good efficient match if you can get over Matt not selling the leg work.

Listed: Ricochet vs Zack Sabre Jr. Evolve 69 9/11/16

This was very good. Bit of a slow start, but then Zack does his gross arm work and has more vicious uppercuts then normal. Ricochet sold well for the most part outside of maybe the finishing sequence, but wasn’t a deal breaker. Also had better struggle then what you usually see. #12.

Watched: Cody Rhodes/Johnny Gargano vs Drew Galloway/Chris Hero Evolve 69 9/11/16

It was fine as the Gargano leaving match.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Watched: Pentagon Jr. vs. Marty Scurll PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 1 9/2/16

OK, but it did get badass at the end.

Watched: Jeff Cobb vs. Ricochet PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 1 9/2/16

Good match. Better use of him with him rag dolling Ricochet with suplexes.

Watched: Will Ospreay vs. Fenix PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 1 9/2/16

Damn good high flying spotfest. Luckily they got to brass tax immediately and went nuts and Will did well in making the time killing middle somewhat interesting.

Watched: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tommy End PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 1 9/2/16

Good old arm destruction, but the didn’t strike me as compelling as those matches usually are.

Watched: Chris Hero vs. Jushin Thunder Liger PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 1 9/2/16

Outside of this being a first time match, I didn’t think this was good. I just couldn’t buy Liger doing any damage.

Watched: Mark Andrews vs. Pete Dunne PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

Good, but like a chunk of Mark matches, overlong. With that said I was really impressed by Pete as a heel that actually still comes off as legit with his roughhouse behavior.

Watched: Cody Rhodes vs. Sami Callihan PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

Good match if you can ignore that comedy spot near the end.

Listed: Fenix/Pentagon Jr vs Chris Hero/Tommy End PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

This was way better then I thought it would be. Friendly in the beginning then Pentagon starts shit and it gets hated filled with Hero and End beating the tar out of Fenix and giving receipts right back to Pentagon. Loved the bruisers vs lucha idea. #19.

Watched: Kamaitachi vs. Trevor Lee PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

Good, but lost steam in the end.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs. Mark Haskins PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

Good match. Mark’s arm work was very workman like, but he pulled off some sweet stuff late.

Watched: Matt Riddle vs. Kyle O'Reilly PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

OK.

Watched: Matt Sydal/Ricochet/Will Ospreay vs. Adam Cole/Young Bucks PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16

Very puzzling this got five stars. Sydal blew a lot of moves in this, and the Bucks have had so many better and cleaner tag matches. Good barely, but legit five matches on this card are better then this.

Watched: John Hennigan vs. Ricochet PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

Good, but house showy.

Watched: Cody Rhodes vs. Marty Scurll PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

Good, but it would have benefited from being shorter.

Watched: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Mark Haskins PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

Another good one by Haskins.

Honorable Mention: Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

Very good as opposed to the MOTYC the Evolve match was. Some of the same ideas there with the neck work, but doing a somewhat better job of putting over the pace of what each wrestler wants. Will’s selling could have been a little better at times, like the Evolve match, and the crowd wasn’t as hot as it could have been. Still enough there for an HM.

Honorable Mention: Young Bucks vs. Fenix/Pentagon Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

Shit this was so much better then I thought it would be. I was worried it would go 20 something, but I’m so happy they went with just a beginning and went finishing stretch crazy. If you are going to complain, it will be the selling of Meltzer Drivers by the lucha guys and back rake to the outside spot. I still dug the majority of it. HM.

Watched: Mark Haskins vs. Marty Scurll PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

This would have been so much better if this wasn’t dragged out as an epic.

Watched: Trevor Lee vs. Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16

I guess it wasn’t as overlong as last year’s I guess.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Watched: Seth Rollins vs Sami Zayn WWE Raw 8/22/16

Good match. Sami worked around his injured ankle well.

Watched: Kevin Owens vs Neville WWE Raw 8/22/16

About as good of a 5 minute match as your going to get.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs. AJ Styles WWE Smackdown 8/23/16

Good match. A bit rough around the edges with Dolph, but I got sucked back in with the ending.

Watched: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Drew Gulak WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/24/16

On the fence on this one. Pretty much the mat match you would expect, but in the E. Not consistently heated enough to be great however.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs. Johnny Gargano WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/24/16

Usual good match you get from them.

Watched: Cesaro vs. Sheamus WWE Raw 8/29/16

Damn good.

Watched: Seth Rollins vs. Kevin Owens vs. Colin Cassidy vs. Roman Reigns Elimination Match WWE Raw 8/29/16

Good, but kind of by the numbers multi man match outside of the angle.

Watched: Akira Tozawa vs. Gran Metalik WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/31/16

Good as mindless spotfest.

Watched: Brian Kendrick vs. Kota Ibushi WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/31/16

Good, but not quite. Brian’s early stuff with going for the countout and doing the neck work was nice. Kota’s neck sellingwas fine, but didn’t blow me away.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Watched: Kyle O’Reilly vs KUSHIDA ROH on SBG 6/11/16

Workmanlike in the beginning, but got good in the end.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Colt Cabana ROH on SBG 8/6/16

Pretty good, outside of Lethal recovering too quickly after a pin.

Watched: Lio Rush vs Donavan Dijak ROH on SBG 8/13/16

Damn good. Big vs little match was fun, but needed just a little more.

Watched: Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice ROH on SBG 8/13/16

Usual good Bucks match.

Watched: Jay Briscoe vs. Adam Page No Holds Barred ROH Death Before Dishonour XIV 8/19/16

Good, but I felt Jay carried it. Got pretty bloody after the table spot.

Watched: Bobby Fish vs. Mark Briscoe ROH Death Before Dishonour XIV 8/19/16

It was alright.

Watched: Jay Lethal vs. Adam Cole ROH Death Before Dishonour XIV 8/19/16

Good, but the story was inconsistent.

Watched: Matt Riddle vs. Chris Hero Evolve 57 3/20/16

Good. Not on the same page at times.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Watched: Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens WWE Raw 9/5/16

Good short match, continuing the leg issues with Sami.

Watched: Austin Aries vs Andrade Almas WWE NXT 9/7/16

Good match.

Listed: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Noam Dar WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/7/16

God damn this ruled. Very rough mat work and very shooty elements at points which leads to the arm vs leg story. The selling was brilliant, but what brings over the top was establishing Dar as the slightly more cocky, but inexperienced wrestler at the end. When Zack injures his arm falling to the floor, he forgoes his game plan to go after the arm at the end, which leads to Zack riding him down and double armbaring him with his legs. Zack sold it as last desperation move and sold the leg accordingly afterwards. #4.

Watched: Rich Swann vs. TJ Perkins WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/7/16

Good match. Swann’s selling made that match.

Watched: Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Backlash 9/11/16

Good match.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles WWE Backlash 9/11/16

Good, but not great. Felt like they were just doing things for a third of it until the pace quickens later and leads to the leg work. Dean didn’t sell it all the way through. Fun, but lacking focus.

Watched: Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens WWE Raw 9/12/16

Very by-the-numbers.

Watched: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Gran Metalik WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/14/16

Damn good match. There was a little bit of neck work in the beginning, but eventually devolved into a spotfest and a fun one at that.

Honourable Mention: Kota Ibushi vs. TJ Perkins WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/14/16

I think the TJP underdog story elevates the match into very good territory. Plays like an NCAA tournament basketball game with the lower seeded team scouting the top seed opponent well and having it pay off. Didn’t have enough leg work for Kota to sell, but had just enough establish the plan. HM.

Honourable Mention: Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano vs. Cedric Alexander/Noam Dar WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/14/16

God damn they packed a lot into 10 minutes. Straight up spotfest and better then the usual. Didn’t lie to itself, hit hard, and had a hot crowd to boot. HM.

Watched: Gran Metalik vs. TJ Perkins WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/14/16

And yet another good match. This is more of the usual indy match, but was elevated by the crowd and the commentary. Awesome in that moment, but missing something to at least be a part of the list.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Watched: Timothy Thatcher vs. Ethan Page Evolve 70 10/15/16

Barely good.

Watched: Zach Sabre Jr. vs Tracy Williams Evolve 70 10/15/16

Good, but didn’t need to go that long since there wasn’t an overarching story out side of epic.

Watched: Chris Hero vs Drew Gulak Evolve 70 10/15/16

Good, but didn’t blow me away.

Watched: Matt Riddle vs AR Fox Evolve 70 10/15/16

OK. At least it didn’t overstay its welcome.

Watched: Jason Kincaid vs Tracy Williams Evolve 71 10/16/16

Did nothing for me.

Watched: Sami Callihan vs Ethan Page Evolve 71 10/16/16

Damn good spitefest.

Watched: Zach Sabre Jr. vs Fred Yehi Evolve 71 10/16/16

Good. Fred’s selling could have been better at times.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Watched: Sheamus vs. Cesaro WWE Raw 9/19/16

Good gutsy match from Cesaro. Played as a sprint with Sheamus doing every move on the back to seal the series but with Cesaro pulling it off.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs. Gran Metalik vs. Brian Kendrick vs. Rich Swann WWE Raw 9/19/16

Felt a bit too much at WWE speed.

Watched: Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens Steel Cage WWE Raw 9/19/16

Well that was practically every cage match ever.

Watched: Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE Smackdown 9/20/16

Good, mostly on how they booked it, but it’s somewhat of a played out match at this point.

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs John Cena WWE Smackdown 9/20/16

Well that was paint-by-numbers until the out of nowhere finish.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs Andrade Almas WWE NXT 9/21/16

Good.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs. Brian Kendrick WWE Clash of Champions 2016 9/25/16

Did nothing for me.

Watched: Sheamus vs. Cesaro WWE Clash of Champions 2016 9/25/16

Got good by the end, but a hokey finish.

Watched: Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks WWE Clash of Champions 2016 9/25/16

OK.

Watched: Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins WWE Clash of Champions 2016 9/25/16

Good, but overbooked.

Watched: Colin Cassidy/Enzo Amore vs Kevin Owens/Chris Jericho WWE Raw 9/26/16

Meh.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose WWE Smackdown 9/27/16

Good, but a bit too similar to there other match.

Watched: Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks WWE Raw 10/3/16

Shorter match and better for it, but it only got good in the end.

Watched: Revival vs. Cedric Alexander/Andrade Almas WWE NXT 10/5/16

Good little ten minute deal.

Watched: AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. John Cena WWE No Mercy 10/9/16

It works as an unapologetic bombfest, but the ending makes no sense.

Honorable Mention: Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE No Mercy 10/9/16

Yeah, this is probably there best match ever. It’s the usual good Miz/Ziggler but elevated by the stipulation, the booking, and the hot crowd. Just a really well laid out match. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Watched: Wolves vs. Beer Money TNA Impact 3/8/16

Meh. They have had so many better matches in the past.

Watched: Bobby Lashley vs Kurt Angle TNA Impact 3/8/16

Finally. Angle went out like he always did; teasing you with early psychology that will get thrown out the window with finisher overkill and the crowd goes mild. Bobby didn’t really help the cause by not selling the leg, but in the end Angle can’t do squat anymore unless someone books him properly.

Watched: Drew Galloway vs. Jeff Hardy TNA Impact 3/29/16

It was fine, but business as usual.

Watched: Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy I Quit match TNA Impact 4/19/16

I’ll say good. They weirdly went more the submission match route in the early going, Although it did kind of pay off.

Watched: Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy Falls Count Anywhere/Full Metal Mayhem TNA
Slammiversary 2016 6/12/2016

Overlong and overkillish.

Watched: Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy Six Sides of Steel TNA Impact 6/21/16

OK shortened version of the last match.

Watched: Bobby Lashley vs. Eddie Edwards TNA Impact 7/12/16

Wasn’t as good as it could have been and the finish was what sealed it.

Watched: Bobby Lashley vs. Eddie Edwards Cage Match TNA Impact 7/21/16

Kind of disappointed with these matches. These matches aren’t as good as what they are on paper.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Watched: DUSTIN vs Matt Riddle Evolve 72 11/12/16

Good match.

Watched: Jason Kincaid vs Fred Yehi Evolve 72 11/12/16

Good. Lost it in the end, but this was a better showing for Kincaid.

Listed: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Ethan Page Evolve 72 11/12/16

What the hell, this was very good. Zach just stretches everything in the beginning and is elevated by Ethan being a hateable scumbag. Ethan goes after Zack’s arm which was hinted at commentary. I liked his hammerlock powerbomb and hammerlock urinage as a nice twist to damage the arm. #16.

Watched: Tracy Williams vs Chris Hero Evolve 72 11/12/16

Damn good. Tracy just took the fight to Hero at the bell and didn’t let up. Still very much a Hero match, but one of the higher end ones this year.

Watched: Timothy Thatcher vs. Drew Gulak Square Circle of Survival Match Evolve 72 11/12/16

This was…unique. It was certainly a spectacle and had some neat ideas, but Thatcher is not a good enough brawler and the stuff with the boards limited them to what they could do. Add an anticlimactic finish, and not even sure I call this good.

Honorable Mention: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Drew Gulak Evolve 73 11/13/16

This is what you would think it would be. It’s the tricked out mat wrestling you would expect, but with the continuation of Zack’s issue with his left arm with Zack doing just enough to sell. Finish being telegraphed prevents this from listing, but it was still a sweet match. HM.

Watched: DUSTIN/Chris Hero vs. Fred Yehi/Tracy Williams vs. Drew Gulak/Tony Nese vs. Gatekeepers Elimination Evolve 73 11/13/16

OK story advancing tag match.

Watched: Night Claw vs. Daga vs. Sinestro de la Muerte vs. Mariposa vs. Sexy Star vs. Marty “The Moth” Martinez vs. Killshot Elimination Lucha Underground Ultima Lucha II 7/13/16

On its way to a very good match, but then it turned to shit with three left. Sexy just can’t convincingly hold these matches together when she’s alone. Good otherwise.

Watched: King Cuerno vs. Mil Muertes Death Match Lucha Underground Ultima Lucha II 7/13/16

Damn good as you would expect. Not any doubt about the result, but it got the job done.

Watched: Matanza vs. Pentagon Dark Lucha Underground Ultima Lucha II 7/20/16

Good, but Pentagon got finished off way too easy.

Watched: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Prince Puma Lucha Underground Ultima Lucha II 7/20/16

Good dream match. Not as consistent as it could have been, but it did the job.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm

Watched: Drew Gulak vs JAKA Evolve 74 12/10/16

Too long, but I get why. JAKA is more comfortable as a striker then mat wrestler in my opinion.

Watched: Cody Rhodes vs Ethan Page Evolve 74 12/10/16

Well that was strange.

Watched: Matt Riddle vs Jeff Cobb Evolve 74 12/10/16

It was alright with two guys who have amateur backgrounds. Seems like a first chapter in a rivalry.

Watched: Tracy Williams/Fred Yehi vs. Peter Kaasa/Ricochet Evolve 74 12/10/16

Good at points, a mess at others.

Watched: Chris Hero vs Dick Togo Evolve 74 12/10/16

Good again. Togo can certainly still go, but there were some questionable moments in it.

Watched: Drew Gulak vs. Tracy Williams Evolve 75 12/11/16

Not even close to being as good as there other match. They tried to go for the epic Gulak send off and it just went forever and didn’t go in any direction. If it was a sendoff to the grapplefuck style, then I would rather have the match be shorter.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles WWE Smackdown 10/25/16

Outside of a storyline sense, these matches are not doing anything for me.

Watched: Kota Ibushi/TJ Perkins vs. Lince Dorado/Mustafa Ali WWE NXT 10/26/16

Got good when Kota was in it, but kind of listless otherwise.

Watched: Roman Reigns vs. Rusev Hell in a Cell WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 10/30/16

Well that went too long for every hell in a cell match ever.

Watched: Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins Hell in a Cell WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 10/30/16

This was good however. It was mostly an Owens beatdown which is always fun although the transition to Seth’s comeback was a bit jarring.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs. Brian Kendrick WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 10/30/16

Good, but heatless match until the angle at the end.

Watched: Big E Langston/Xavier Woods vs. Sheamus/Cesaro WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 10/30/16

Good, but what a shit finish.

Watched: Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Hell in a Cell WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 10/30/16

Best match on the show, and best match in there rivalry, but I don’t quite think I can list this. Some things were great, but negated by other stuff not looking good. The ending sort of hurt it considering you had the best table bump before the match.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:57 pm

Honorable Mention: Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles WWE Smackdown 11/1/16

This was way better then I would have thought. They just went very fast paced route of there first match, and it went better then that first match. The Ellsworth stuff and the hot crowd elevated this and was a nice surprise. HM.

Watched: Roderick Strong vs Shane Thorne WWE NXT 11/2/16

Good. Felt more like a Shane showcase and he was better then I thought he would be.

Watched: Chris Jercho vs Seth Rollins vs Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman vs Kevin Owens WWE Raw 11/7/16

Nice as a 2 vs 2 vs giant match.

Watched: Tomasso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano vs. Authors of Pain WWE NXT 11/9/16

Good kind of by force of will, but the Authors are not doing anything for me.

Watched: Cedric Alexander vs Andrade Almas WWE NXT 11/16/16

Good match. Shocking how much better Almas is as a heel.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs Tye Dillinger WWE NXT Takeover: Toronto 11/19/16

Good hot opener similar to that Aries/Jose match.

Listed: Revival vs. Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano 2/3 Falls WWE NXT Takeover: Toronto 11/19/16

Every bit as awesome as the first match, but maybe not the very best. This was one that got consistently better as it went along and played off the last match. The beginning of this match was probably not as good as the first match, but I’m kind of splitting hairs here. Still, #8 for now.

Watched: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe WWE NXT Takeover: Toronto 11/19/16

Another good, but Joe was the one who carried it. Nakamura not selling the leg sucked.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Watched: Tommaso Ciampa vs. TJ Perkins Evolve 57 3/20/16

Not TJP’s best match.

Honorable Mention: Drew Gulak vs. Zack Sabre Jr. Evolve 57 3/20/16

Lived up to what I thought it would be, but a bit long in the tooth. It’s the grapplefuck stuff you like with Zack eventually going after the neck, Drew trying to pull the rabbit out of the hat with leg work at the end. Again he middle could have been trimmed, but it still feels top 25ish and am glad I found it.

Watched: Johnny Gargano/Drew McIntyre vs. Team Tremendous Evolve 57 3/20/16

Sucked.

Watched: Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins No DQ WWE Raw 11/21/16

Good garbage brawl in front of a hot crowd.

Watched: Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks Falls Count Anywhere WWE Raw 11/28/16

Pretty disorganized through all of it.

Watched: Brian Kendrick vs. Rich Swann WWE 205 Live 11/29/16

Damn good. Brian did well with the neck work and putting over Swann really well. Finish sort of came out of no where and prevents me from listing.

Watched: Samoa Joe vs Tye Dillinger WWE NXT 11/30/16

Good, although it took a while to get going.

Watched: Baron Corbin vs. Kalisto Chairs Match WWE TLC 12/4/16

This was definitely a good underrated match. Did well in incorporating the big/little dynamic while not overdoing it the chair stuff. Probably don’t have the guts to list it, but this was nice.

Honorable Mention: AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose TLC WWE TLC 12/4/16

Very good, barely. Vary much along the lines of what these matches tend to be, but with better wrestlers at the helm. Stuff probably could have been sold just a little longer at times, but this worked as a conclusion to this. HM.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Watched: Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn WWE Raw 12/5/16

Good, but the match would have been better with the opposite result since Zayn ate him alive.

Watched: Noam Dar vs Cedric Alexander WWE 205 Live 12/6/16

Good if a bit squashy.

Watched: Rich Swann vs. Brian Kendrick WWE 205 Live 12/6/16

Good.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Watched: Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper vs. Miz Elimination WWE Smackdown 12/13/16

Some nice stuff, but did nothing otherwise.

Watched: TJ Perkins vs Rich Swann WWE 205 Live 12/13/16

Another good one.

Honorable Mention: New Day vs. Cesaro/Sheamus WWE Roadblock: End of the Line 12/18/16

Really liked this. This was a sprint with the hosses dominating. Did well in putting a cap to New Day’s reign and the finish was something I never seen before and I want to see more of it. HM.

Watched: Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin WWE Smackdown 12/20/16

OK. Lame finish.

Watched: Bobby Roode vs. Andrade Almas vs. Roderick Strong vs. Tye Dillinger WWE NXT 12/21/16

Damn good.

Watched: Cesaro/Sheamus vs. New Day WWE Raw 12/26/16

Good sequel. Not as clean as last weeks, but went along the same lines as the story.

Watched: Wyatt Family vs. American Alpha vs. Heath Slater/Rhyno vs. Usos Elimination WWE Smackdown 12/27/16

Liked it at points, but the finish could have been better.

Honorable Mention: AJ Styles vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin WWE Smackdown 12/27/16

This was a sweet match. Baron was booked like a killer and held his own. The finishing stretch after the table bump was where it got awesome and didn’t let up. HM.

Watched: Rich Swann vs Adrian Neville WWE 205 Live 12/27/16

Good match in establishing how much of a terminator Neville is now. And this bastard of a year ends on a superplex getting the pinfall victory.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Watched: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Pentagon Dark Lucha Underground 9/7/16

Damn good seven minutes.

Listed: Marty “The Moth” Martinez vs. Killshot Weapons of Mass Destruction Match Lucha Underground 9/14/16

If you can get past the corny commentary at points, this ruled. They avoided the furniture moving for the most part outside of the end. Might have had some sound sweetening, but they stuck to the hate all throughout. #8.

Watched: Matanza vs. Prince Puma Lucha Underground 10/5/16

Good if you can live with the ending.

Watched: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Pentagon Dark Lucha Underground 10/12/16

Good even with Chavo there.

Watched: Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes Lucha Underground 10/19/16

Good, but wasn’t the big moment that it could have been.

Watched: Aztec Warfare III Lucha Underground 11/16/16

Worst AW honestly. Not even for the result because that at least was put together well, most of it was just boring.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Watched: Candice LeRae vs Trent? PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

Fine.

Watched: ACH vs Trevor Lee PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

Meh.

Watched: Matt Sydal vs Pete Dunne PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

Way too fucking long and it could get worse.

Watched: Chris Hero/JT Dunn vs reDragon PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

Well that fucking dragged.

Watched: Adam Cole vs Chuck Taylor PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

At least this was good. It had fun comedy and at least went the right amount of time.

Watched: Young Bucks vs Jeff Cobb/Matt Riddle PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

Fine for a table setter for there rematch.

Watched: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Marty Scurll PWG Mystery Vortex 4 12/16/16

I don’t know if this was more bad or weird. This was not the overlong mat based match I thought it would be and more an overlong strike based match that was just as bad.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Watched: Pentagon Dark vs. Hitokiri Lucha Underground 11/30/16

Hitokiri is Io Shiari which some might say is the best Joshi wrestler in Japan who will be going to the E. Io gets the jump and lays a somewhat long beatdown, but it gets better when she’s taking the beating. Good when put everything that happened before the match and after, but I don’t if Io can be seen on Asuka’s level.

Watched: Angelico vs. Jack Evans vs. P.J. Black vs. Son of Havoc Lucha Underground 12/14/16

Not the best crop of guys but this was fun.

Watched: The Mack vs. P.J. Black vs. Jeremiah Crane vs. Cage Elimination Lucha Underground 12/21/16

If this was one fall, then it could have been listable. But it seemed to taper off in the other eliminations. It’s a shame because Cage was an absolute beast in this.

Watched: El Texano Jr. vs. Cage Anything Goes Lucha Underground 12/28/16

The blood helped this, but I don’t necessarily want to see Cage the majority of the match selling.
jman9

PostPosted by jman9 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:47 pm

1. Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles Extreme Rules WWE Extreme Rules 2016 5/22/16
2. Revival vs. Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II 8/20/16
3. Zack Sabre Jr. vs Noam Dar WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/7/16
4. Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura WWE NXT Takeover: Dallas 4/1/16
5. Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar WWE Fastlane 2/21/16
6. Chris Hero/Tommy End vs Sami Callihan/Zack Sabre Jr. Evolve 53 1/22/16
7. Revival vs. Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano 2/3 Falls WWE NXT Takeover: Toronto 11/19/16
8. Marty “The Moth” Martinez vs. Killshot Weapons of Mass Destruction Match Lucha Underground 9/14/16
9. Miz vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro WWE Extreme Rules 2016 5/22/16
10. Ricochet vs Zack Sabre Jr. Evolve 69 9/11/16
11. Chris Hero vs. Sami Callihan AAW The Chaos Theory 1/15/16
12. Kota Ibushi vs. Cedric Alexander WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/10/16
13. Fenix/Pentagon Jr vs Chris Hero/Tommy End PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 2 9/3/16
14. Johnny Gargano/Drew Galloway vs. Chris Hero/Tommy End Evolve 55 1/24/16
15. Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler WWE No Mercy 10/9/16
16. Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens WWE Battleground 7/24/16
17. Zack Sabre Jr. vs Ethan Page Evolve 72 11/12/16
18. Briscoes/Cheeseburger vs War Machine/Moose ROH Conquest Tour: Philadelphia 3/12/16
19. War Machine/Briscoes vs. Young Bucks/All Night Express ROH Winter Warriors Tour Indianapolis 1/15/16
20. Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Will Ospreay Evolve 58 4/1/16

Honorable Mention:
Young Bucks vs. Matt Sydal/Ricochet PWG All Star Weekend 12 Night 1 3/4/16
Drew Gulak vs. Zack Sabre Jr. Evolve 57 3/20/16
Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Jason Jordan/Chad Gable NXT Takeover: Dallas 4/1/16
Bayley vs. Asuka NXT Takeover: Dallas 4/1/16
Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe NXT Takeover: Dallas 4/1/16
Young Bucks vs. Briscoes vs. Motor City Machine Guns vs. Addiction ROH Supercard of Honor X Night 2 4/2/16
Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles WWE Payback 5/1/16
Drew Gulak vs Tracy Williams Evolve 61 5/7/16
American Alpha vs. Revival WWE NXT Takeover: The End 6/8/16
Cedric Alexander vs Matt Riddle Evolve 62 6/10/16
Johnny Mundo vs. Taya vs. Pentagon Jr. vs. Ivelisse vs. King Cuerno vs. Fenix Elimination Match Lucha Underground 6/15/16
Revival vs. American Alpha 2/3 Falls WWE NXT 7/6/16
Kyle O’Reilly vs Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Thirteen 7/29/16
Brian Kendrick vs. Tony Nese WWE Cruiserweight Classic 8/17/16
Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16
Young Bucks vs. Fenix/Pentagon Jr. PWG Battle of Los Angeles 2016 Night 3 9/4/16
Kota Ibushi vs. TJ Perkins WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/14/16
Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano vs. Cedric Alexander/Noam Dar WWE Cruiserweight Classic 9/14/16
Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles WWE Smackdown 11/1/16
Zack Sabre Jr. vs Drew Gulak Evolve 73 11/13/16
AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose TLC WWE TLC 12/4/16
New Day vs. Cesaro/Sheamus WWE Roadblock: End of the Line 12/18/16
AJ Styles vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin WWE Smackdown 12/27/16
jman9

Previous

Return to General Wrestling